Can't we have a consumer grade 10 or 12 TeraByte SSD like the Seagate HDD's?

aromasn
Go to solution Solved by Sniperfox47,
Just now, emosun said:

seems like most people i know only store photos on their phones and dont bother backing them up and loose them when they get a new phone or tablet. I cant imagine being that way

When you take a bajillion selfies a day, you can afford to lose some of them.

1 minute ago, emosun said:

hell im surprised they even need 1tb.

Unless they play games. I mean Ark: Survival Evolved can use up a terabyte by itself amirite? ;)

6 minutes ago, Sourav Nandi said:

If we want hyper read and write speeds with high capacities ,can't we get a SSD or is there some hardware limitations?

If we extrapolate from the Samsung 850 Evo series that such a drive from a reputable company with decent NAND is ~80 USD per 250GB, such a drive would cost ~3220 USD for 10TB or or ~3860USD for 12TB, well outside what a consumer would deam feasible.

And that's ignoring the fact that you'd need a much beefier controller for such a drive, adding cost and design complexity.

If we want hyper read and write speeds with high capacities ,can't we get a SSD or is there some hardware limitations?

Consumers don't need 10TB of storage.

Also consumers do not want to pay $5000 for a storage drive.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

At the volume and price a typical consumer buys, it's not happening for a while.

2 minutes ago, Enderman said:

Consumers don't need 10TB of storage.

seems like most people i know only store photos on their phones and dont bother backing them up and loose them when they get a new phone or tablet. I cant imagine being that way

Just now, emosun said:

When you take a bajillion selfies a day, you can afford to lose some of them.

1 minute ago, emosun said:

Unless they play games. I mean Ark: Survival Evolved can use up a terabyte by itself amirite? ;)

6 minutes ago, Sourav Nandi said:

If we extrapolate from the Samsung 850 Evo series that such a drive from a reputable company with decent NAND is ~80 USD per 250GB, such a drive would cost ~3220 USD for 10TB or or ~3860USD for 12TB, well outside what a consumer would deam feasible.

And that's ignoring the fact that you'd need a much beefier controller for such a drive, adding cost and design complexity.

With the right amount of money you can do just about anything you want these days but like one previous poster stated, the average user doesn't have 5 Grand lying around to use for a drive in his computer.  For that kind of money I would take my wife on a trip to Spain or a cruise somewhere.  I just found this with a google search for the largest SSD.  I sure as hell couldn't afford it and what would I do with all that space?  Try to copy the Library of Congress?

Seagate's 60TB SSD comes a year after Samsung's15TB SSD. Seagate has unveiled the world's largest SSD: a 60-terabyte monster. Pricing isn't available, but the company says the drive will provide "the lowest cost per gigabyte for flash" memory today.Aug 11, 2016

https://www.google.com/search?q=largest+ssd+you+can+buy&rlz=1C1CHBF_enUS789US789&oq=largest+SSD&aqs=chrome.3.69i57j0l5.7191j0j8&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

3 minutes ago, Sourav Nandi said:

Then maybe...uh....Prosumer...?o.O

Even prosumers don't need that much storage.

The cost and capacity of 2-4TB SSDs is high enough.

The people who need 10TB of SSDs are professionals that need it for their job.

Even professionals have budget limits, which is why linus has servers full of 10TB drives instead of 30TB SSDs.

This means the 16+ TB SSDs are only left for enterprise, and they are priced accordingly.

Your question is basically "why don't we have lambos priced like a prius"

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

1 hour ago, Sourav Nandi said:

Aside from costs as people proposed, there's also one other thing: Even faster storage performance doesn't really matter for consumers.

There's always going to be a minimum amount of time "loading" an application because putting an application in RAM doesn't do anything. You still have to process it and initialize it to get it in a usable state. So loading time performance will start to level off after a certain storage speed point and at the moment, that appears to be SATA speeds. While switching from an HDD to SATA SSD may cut down say a Windows load time from 30 seconds to 10 seconds, NVMe will cut down maybe an additional second or so.

Yeah if I'm going to pay 3 thousand dollars for a hardware might as well be the TITAN V.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

When first time google launch Gmail and their 1GB storage for email, most reviewer says no one will ever need 1GB storage for email

When 1TB of storage was launch again most reviewer says that no one would ever need that much of storage.

I mean... when someone saying that something is impossible when the technology is going there just make them stupid.

it's like saying we will never reach moon.

Do you think 1TB 10 years ago cost the same as today? My first 1TB hdd cost me about $250 on 2008.

Give it a time...

As many users mention, it's technically possible but quite cost-prohibitive. There is also always competition to get a solid supply of NAND for SSDs. The world is exponentially creating more data than ever, and IDC did a study called Data Age 2025, which estimates that by the year 2025, the world will be producing 163 zettabytes of data. As amazing and fast SSD tech is, it's pretty clear we're not getting all of that on solid-state. For this and other reasons, innovations on new tech to make hard drives both with larger capacity and faster performance are always underway as well. We just demonstrated a new hard drive speed record of up to 480MB/s sustained throughput with our Mach.2 Multi-Actuator Tech at the OCP Summit.

Seagate Technology | Official Forums Team

IronWolf Drives for NAS Applications - SkyHawk Drives for Surveillance Applications - BarraCuda Drives for PC & Gaming

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎3‎/‎29‎/‎2018 at 9:53 AM, The Viking said:

you can get 4tb ssd if you want to?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07864XY8B/ref=twister_B079P94LLX?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

though at 1300$, I would prefer spending that amount of money on hdds.

Most big SSDs are used in servers though.

On ‎3‎/‎29‎/‎2018 at 8:30 AM, Densetsu said:

At the volume and price a typical consumer buys, it's not happening for a while.

On ‎3‎/‎29‎/‎2018 at 8:31 AM, emosun said:

While it's true most people do not have a need for much storage space, that doesn't mean no one does. I currently have four 4TB SSDs in my desktop and will probably need another one by the end of the year. In my case, most of my storage will be used for my movies. Others may used large amounts of raw photo storage; even amateurs can rack up a lot of data. While HDDs are one "heckuvalot" cheaper, SSDs have a lot of advantages that some may feel are worth the extra cost, such as smaller size, less weight, lower power draw (and heat generated), and more speed (handy for huge data transfers). In my case, smaller size and less weight were the key reasons I went with all SSDs. I'm a handicapped senior citizen and lugging backup HDDs to and from my safe deposit box every month (or sooner) was killing me (since I use four backup drives—two onsite and two offsite—for each data drive in my computer so that would be eight backup drives each trip). SSDs have been a life saver. Of course, faster speed when updating backups was not unwelcome.

Because of their high price and the fact most consumers don't need much storage, large SSDs are not for most consumers but don't put down the few who do need or want them. To answer the OP's original question, demand for larger consumer SSDs is currently too low to justify the expense of R&D. The payback would be too long. Keep in mind these companies are in the business of making money so what they make has to be profitable.

Jeannie

As long as anyone is oppressed, no one will be safe and free.

One has to be proactive, not reactive, to ensure the safety of one's data so backup your data! And RAID is NOT a backup!