Pc for entire household.

Wasbeer

Well first of all, Hi there and thnx for constructive feedback :D

So i'll quikly sketch my situation, 

Im Maarten , 27 years old and I'm renovating my house and because I watch Linus and his crew quite a lot it got me thinking:

Since at this point my house is empty ( just walls and windows) and no floor (its just ground). 

I have a blank canvas and I'm looking for tips or suggestions that you guys can think of.

I'm NOT looking for a normal desktop pc but a kind of 8 gamers 1 cpu like pc that will also serve as a data server and will handle everything from domotica to automatisation.

I looked at his 8 gamers 1 cpu video and was not really convinced with his concept (seems laggy with data passtrough handled by wifi)

At this point I have 3 pc's on a room on the 1st floor where my friends and I ( who help me renovate) play our games which are (dont laugh) Virtua tennis 4 , Red alert2 Omega mod , fifa 18 and BF1.

Since  there is no floor I can run all the kabels under the floor for the ground floor.

So what is possible guys ?  

Can I use a Cat6e cable to stream video to all of the screens ? (ground floor and 1st floor.)

How far do Displayport cables transfer video ? 

what about my keyboard and mouse or a xbox360 controller ? 

what i would like : for 4person's 

4 cores (2phys-2hyper) (+2.5ghz iff possible)

8 gb per person

a 1070 per person ( i already have 2 so...)

250gb ssd space and 1tb hdd space per person.

For data server 

4cores

16gb ram

2x120gb cache disk's ? 

and prob some Ironwolf harddrive's (AROUND 30TB)

I have a budget about 10.000euro (16.038,69CAD)(12.385Dollar)

So actually its somewhat late that i'm asking this because I need to cable the entire house by the mid of Mei since then they are coming to pour the concrate for the base plate of the house.

I could lay all the cable's on the concrete but i'm not sure its "ok" because i'm going to put floor heating on the concrete and I'm not planning in breaking up my floor every so many years because a cable died.

So maybe somebody you know or yourself may have some idea's and you can post them all here. 

for you guys who are thinking I have a Wooden house like many people in america , I'm from Belgium and for everytime you say drill a hole I'm drilling trough 30 cm of brick's every time so please keep that in mind.

Guys ( Girls) 

already a thank you for reading all of this.

Kind regards.

There is a corret way to do this with thin clients and something like vmware horizon or citrix. With thin clients for every user. But the problem is your budget isn't big enough for this. You need a full domain for this normally and lincese for windows server, esxi, and vmware horizon.

So you would be forced to do it the more diy way with vms and passthrough, and its buggy and hard to setup. 

Id really suggest just have a system per user, and using network storage for files. It also makes it much easier to trouble shoot, Something will go wrong with the server and you can't do anything when its down. 

To add to the previous post:

You will be relying on the stability of a single system. If something happens to it (maybe even while planned maintenance), everyone is unable to use their system.

Secondly, for gaming, you might as well get dedicated systems for every one, might end up cheaper and does not require mad debugging to get every system running properly.

If you want to give every one that amount of resources, you will be needing quite expensive components (minimum of 8-core HT system, add also the hypervisor requirements), a LOT of USB ports.

To bring examples: GPU passthrough can be quite a buggy thing (Nvidia or AMD, which works better where etc). VMs going to sleep and coming back up are not the most stable either. Drivers might not be as good as running OS directly on hardware. Display audio is the only way to get everyone their own audio. You may be limited in terms of I/O and network performance. Adding USB devices requires additional configuration each time you connect a device.

EDIT: DisplayPort standard says 3 meters for full bandwidth over passive cable, 33 meters over active cable. Ethernet cables are for Ethernet connection specifically. What kind of data you transfer over Ethernet, is whole different deal. You can't use Ethernet cable directly for streaming like you would with HDMI or DP, but you can set up a TCP/UDP connection (meaning devices on both ends need to be able to transmit/receive). Also 1Gbps line will be bottleneck, especially when streaming multiple connections from one device (for comparison, DP 1.4 is up to 32.4 Gbps).

HAL9000: AMD Ryzen 9 3900x | Noctua NH-D15 chromax.black | 32 GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz | Asus X570 Prime Pro | ASUS TUF 3080 Ti | 1 TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus + 1 TB Crucial MX500 + 6 TB WD RED | Corsair HX1000 | be quiet Pure Base 500DX | LG 34UM95 34" 3440x1440

Hydrogen server: Intel i3-10100 | Cryorig M9i | 64 GB Crucial Ballistix 3200MHz DDR4 | Gigabyte B560M-DS3H | 33 TB of storage | Fractal Design Define R5 | unRAID 6.9.2

Carbon server: Fujitsu PRIMERGY RX100 S7p | Xeon E3-1230 v2 | 16 GB DDR3 ECC | 60 GB Corsair SSD & 250 GB Samsung 850 Pro | Intel i340-T4 | ESXi 6.5.1

Big Mac cluster: 2x Raspberry Pi 2 Model B | 1x Raspberry Pi 3 Model B | 2x Raspberry Pi 3 Model B+

I looked at his 8 gamers 1 cpu video and was not really convinced with his concept (seems laggy with data passtrough handled by wifi)

Why not? That's what vm works.

You only need to stream the screen + basic IO.

Any processing power already handled in the server.

The server send you back the video feed.

for 10.000 euro, you might be better just build a budget gaming system for each person.

That 8 gamer pc is just a waste of energy.

The pc will be fully running even with only 1 person online.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

hmmm maybe I am shooting a bit too high. 

Im not a dumbass with pc's but i'm totally not linus :D

so then ill try to find some good balanced pc's for everyone .

Thanks Guys !!

On 3/31/2018 at 2:52 AM, Wasbeer said:

hmmm maybe I am shooting a bit too high. 

Im not a dumbass with pc's but i'm totally not linus :D

so then ill try to find some good balanced pc's for everyone .

Thanks Guys !!

For each user this would be more than sufficient to play most games: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/2D9vnH And at ~$1525 USD without discounts, if you got 4, that's only $6100 of your $12000 USD budget, and that's not including saving a total of $1200 because you already have 2 1070s (the build I linked has a 1070 Ti). So with the additional savings, it's $4900 total to outfit 4 identical computers with reasonable hardware at reasonable prices. You additionally get a 250GB Samsung EVO 860 M.2 SSD to use for your OS drive (ultra fast boots), and a Seagate FireCuda 2TB "SHDD" Hybrid for storing games, the Hybrid SSD on board the drive should help with game loading times by keeping copies of your most used game files on the SSD portion of the drive. Note that these do not have monitors, mice, keyboards, speakers, or any other peripherals, these are just the towers, so there's extra budget to work with, but it will eat into your NAS concern.

With the remaining budget of $5900 or $7100 (depending if you want to use those 1070s or buy new 1070 Tis and you already have all the peripherals you need for the above PCs) you can build a pretty beefy FreeNAS setup on their site just to get a professionally built and supported rig to get you started. Or you can continue the DIY route and build something pretty beefy for your needs following recommendations from the FreeNAS community for example. I won't speculate into a build here, the budget is literally murky at this point because of unknown variables, so I'll leave that up to you sir. Good luck!