Liquid Metal cooling a nintendo switch

RGBLinus

so linus has shown that using liquid metal thermal paste helps laptops and phones, but what would happen if the switch's stock thermal paste was replaced by liquid metal?

in theory it can help. Here is a tear down guide on how to do it should you choose.

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

What's with the obsession to put liquid metal on everything?
Anyway, the cooling solution for the switch is pretty good, but made of many metal layers and thermal pads. using liquid metal on the chip itself won't help the rest of the chain.

PC:

AMD Ryzen 5 1600 | Asus ROG B350-i Gaming | Gigabyte GTX 1080 Windforce | Corsair CX650M | G.SKILL RIPJAW 16GB 3000Mhz | CoolerMaster MasterLiquid 240mm RGB AIO | SK Hynix SC308 256GB M.2 SSD | 1TB Seagate Barracuda 7200rpm HDD | Fractal Design Define Nano S

Peripherals:

Red Dragon K552 Kumara RGB | Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum | LG 29WK600-W 29" UltraWide | Razer Kraken USB 

15 minutes ago, DesertWing said:

What's with the obsession to put liquid metal on everything?

Probably the same reason I delidded a low power edition pentium

@TheRandomness has actually done this, it was my idea lol

It's conductive though you don't want to get the stuff on anything. Gotta like spread it then wipe the rest off. It probably works great on dies. 

I'll probably end up trying that being I still have some. But I want to see how bad the Intel Tim their using now is...it looks like some of those real Generic tims. 

I’ve done this, as @iamdarkyoshi has said, but due to the fact that there is no thermal monitoring software on the switch available to users.. well, I haven’t noticed a difference. I’ve actually modded the metal plate on my Switch so that it, well, doesn’t exist, and I’ve taken the RF cover off of the SOC. It’s now making direct contact to the heatpipe, so in theory it’d cool better regardless. 

USEFUL LINKS:

PSU Tier List F@H stats

There's no real point in doing so. You won't be extracting any extra performance from it

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.8ghz) w/ NH-D14, EVGA RTX 2080 XC (stock), 4*4GB DDR4 3000MT/s RAM, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 MB, CX750M PSU, 1.5TB SDD + 7TB HDD, Phanteks enthoo pro case

• 1 year later...

@TheRandomness do you have BotW? It has some frame drops/skips normally when docked. Do your game/s have frame drops/skips?

On 3/24/2018 at 8:37 AM, Coaxialgamer said:

There's no real point in doing so. You won't be extracting any extra performance from it

What you will do is void the warranty, risk the health of the internal components (LM is fucky stuff to work with, eats aluminum and embeds itself in copper, and is conductive), and lower the overall reliability of the console. ?

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

On 3/24/2018 at 3:15 AM, RGBLinus said:

so linus has shown that using liquid metal thermal paste helps laptops and phones, but what would happen if the switch's stock thermal paste was replaced by liquid metal?

It's not worth the risk of f'ing it up by fixing a problem it doesn't have...not to mention your warranty will be gone.