Show off your old and retro computer parts

Message added by SansVarnic,

When posting with quotes, please be sure to exclude/remove/snip any photos from the quote to help with load times for slower internet connections.

Thank you,

Moderation Team

1 minute ago, Mel0n. said:

More XPS details. Tore it down for cleaning it today since it was utterly disgusting.

image.thumb.jpeg.7ae2d46f0bd27c24ba5a20880017e10f.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.d928a3c272891b2f551f83313b6ce282.jpeg

Oddly the GPU does not use MXM, it uses this connector. This allows the GPU to be positioned above the board, as seen in photo 1. It's also probably faster than MXM 1.0, carrying a full 16 lanes of PCIe 1.1. HWiNFO and GPU-Z identify it as PCI-E, not MXM.

image.thumb.jpeg.be35d77779888aca32d1e089ae0328d1.jpeg

In addition, it plugs directly into the display. This facilitates astoundingly low response times. 

image.thumb.jpeg.d3a17dbe381deb5bf660e0aacaf98bea.jpeg

Swap those fans get some boof goin

The heatsinks were solid walls of dust, thermal paste was dry as the Sahara. Now I know why the GPU hit 95c after seconds of FurMark.

Ok forget the fans go full compressed LN2 sprayed thru the heatsinks

The Artigo again

73FB5DA3-0B28-42DD-93AF-8189B89C22D3.thumb.jpeg.31bb2299d0ac6072dc7a69a035935e28.jpeg

7474A61E-1A46-46F1-8176-21A8221FA533.thumb.jpeg.154db099dd3eafa203a7ab11060a9c8f.jpeg

I still need to find a use case for this and part of me thinks I should just daily use this and burn the rest of my computer parts out of some weird act of technological protest 

Via Eden cpu, 2gb of ddr3, a 120gb ssd and chrome9 graphics 

61D30228-972E-41B0-BA21-87AFC34DFDA6.thumb.jpeg.02998bb7847af03b5c7fda3f37961386.jpeg

I want to install windows 7 on it still for the better video driver support, as what it uses now is kinda like a semi universal driver for most S3 Chrome video chips of the era, but it doesn’t have all the cool software.

It really struggles with just about anything semi modern. Current Firefox browsing the web is painfully slow. 360p YouTube can stutter at times, Krita will launch but man it is rough drawing with it, but it does locally hosted 720p video fine, plays flacs, etc. 

I know more ram won't make it faster but desktop Ubuntu runs a little better on 4GB. A lighter GUI like LXDE might help a tiny bit too.

10 minutes ago, th3pickelman said:

I saw this at school today 🙂 i think it's the ancestor of crossfire

Mobo name: A8N-SLI DELUXE

20230224_093709.jpg

20230224_093716.jpg

A resistor pack for overboard GPU setups?

12 minutes ago, th3pickelman said:

I saw this at school today 🙂 i think it's the ancestor of crossfire

Mobo name: A8N-SLI DELUXE

Not quite Crossfire, that's just very early SLI from Nvidia. Nice find!

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

It's just SLI indeed, but with a funny jumper board to mechanically select between x16 to the first slot for single card and x8/x8 for 2 cards... Done using switch chips on the motherboard nowadays.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

11 hours ago, Bitter said:

I know more ram won't make it faster but desktop Ubuntu runs a little better on 4GB. A lighter GUI like LXDE might help a tiny bit too.

It doesn’t support 4gb of ram, and that is windowmaker/gnustep which is one of the lightest WM/DE’s out there being built on a foundation of nextstep from 1995

It’s slow because it’s a 1ghz dual core via Eden 

Bad news. Fired up the XPS M1710 and it appears the GPU has died.

FC83CBF8-6710-4B80-A381-B321DC409F4B.thumb.jpeg.9d447b54fd89a1055655c4d2c0e45eae.jpeg

Random garbage all over screen, booting into the OS yields an instant bsod with more garbled text. Hope a reseat of the video card will fix but I don’t think it’s that simple 

Hope a reseat of the video card will fix but I don’t think it’s that

looks more like the screen than the graphics card, perhaps check the connection of screen. 

2 minutes ago, mdk777 said:

looks more like the screen than the graphics card, perhaps check the connection of screen. 

Checked that. I would assume screen as well if the OS didn't bluescreen suddenly despite never doing this before

Checked that. I would assume screen as well if the OS didn't bluescreen suddenly despite never doing this before

It's as dead as my fake FX 5500 (it's actually an underclocked FX 5200):

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

27 minutes ago, Mel0n. said:

External monitor has the same problem, bummer. Time to bake the video card in the oven!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/154333171428

Looks like maybe Team Green may have an option for you?

7 minutes ago, Bitter said:

External monitor has the same problem, bummer. Time to bake the video card in the oven!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/154333171428

Looks like maybe Team Green may have an option for you?

I paid $64 or so for the laptop, don't want to pay $45 for an inferior video card honestly. Might settle for a Quadro FX 1500 for $25. Issue is, any card I buy will probably die this way too eventually.

24 minutes ago, Mel0n. said:

I paid $64 or so for the laptop, don't want to pay $45 for an inferior video card honestly. Might settle for a Quadro FX 1500 for $25. Issue is, any card I buy will probably die this way too eventually.

Into the oven it goes!

5 minutes ago, Bitter said:

Into the oven it goes!

Well... 

On the fourth reboot, God said, "...and let there be GeForce 7950 GTX!" (Huang 4:20)

For my YouTube audience I was documenting the different patterns of garbled images. Rebooted three times all with different patterns, BSODs, etc. And on the fourth try it just worked! I was in disbelief.

I'll still bake the card in the oven, guess is it just got too cold overnight and the small warmth it generated from running for 10 minutes was enough to reflow whatever weak solder needed to be reflowed. Its days are probably numbered, so I'll document my favorite feature right here in case it dies on me.

Windows Media Player RGB plugin, and integrated subwoofer.

12 minutes ago, Mel0n. said:

Windows Media Player RGB plugin, and integrated subwoofer

May she rest in peace when she does finally go man

With all the Trolls, Try Hards, Noobs and Weirdos around here you'd think i'd find SOMEWHERE to fit in!

2 minutes ago, SimplyChunk said:

May she rest in peace when she does finally go man

Dead again. Managed to get in 5 minutes of UT2004 before it went garbled and stopped booting past Windows logo.

Luckily, I can buy a new GPU. I'm getting way too attached to this laptop to just let it go, even if the new GPU I get is not nearly as good as this 7950 GTX.

8 minutes ago, Mel0n. said:

Dead again. Managed to get in 5 minutes of UT2004 before it went garbled and stopped booting past Windows logo.

Luckily, I can buy a new GPU. I'm getting way too attached to this laptop to just let it go, even if the new GPU I get is not nearly as good as this 7950 GTX.

https://pcper.com/2006/10/nvidia-geforce-go-7950-gtx-mobile-gpu-overview/

On paper the 7950 doesn't look like anything other than a slightly overclocked 7900.

10 hours ago, Mel0n. said:

Well... 

On the fourth reboot, God said, "...and let there be GeForce 7950 GTX!" (Huang 4:20)

For my YouTube audience I was documenting the different patterns of garbled images. Rebooted three times all with different patterns, BSODs, etc. And on the fourth try it just worked! I was in disbelief.

I'll still bake the card in the oven, guess is it just got too cold overnight and the small warmth it generated from running for 10 minutes was enough to reflow whatever weak solder needed to be reflowed. Its days are probably numbered, so I'll document my favorite feature right here in case it dies on me.

Windows Media Player RGB plugin, and integrated subwoofer.

Oh dear jesus thats the laptop that goes with my precision Gen4.  If you ever chuck it give it to me.

3 hours ago, Aremis said:

Oh dear jesus thats the laptop that goes with my precision Gen4.  If you ever chuck it give it to me.

Ooh, you have a Precision M90? I assume it doesn't have the lights, but does it have the subwoofer? As far as I know they use the same motherboard (or at least, replacement motherboards are intercompatible)