Show off your old and retro computer parts

Message added by SansVarnic,

When posting with quotes, please be sure to exclude/remove/snip any photos from the quote to help with load times for slower internet connections.

Thank you,

Moderation Team

4 minutes ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

no

Boards don't usually have cigarette butts soldered to them. Whole capacitor case yeeted off in the center of the picture.

45 minutes ago, Bitter said:

Boards don't usually have cigarette butts soldered to them. Whole capacitor case yeeted off in the center of the picture.

I did see that. Suppose I forgot the "/s"

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

On 1/3/2023 at 7:28 PM, Alexcomputinggpus said:

My working order. Ati radeon x850 platinum edition i gotten it like in the mid of 2022 when i bought it for only 3$ its in working order has some flaws there and there like this blown capacitor or conductor  but in all a rare ol nice gpu that was high end in its launch era 

Ahaha man...  I still have my X850 XT, I bought it new from Canada Computers launch week. I still have the box.

It's my favorite card, I've kept it safe and it works flawlessly still. I use it in all my Athlon XP systems when I'm having some overclocking fun.

The New Machine: Intel 11700K / Strix Z590-A WIFI II / Patriot Viper Steel 4400MHz 2x8GB / Gigabyte RTX 3080 Gaming OC w/ Bykski WB / x4 1TB SSDs (x2 M.2, x2 2.5) / Corsair 5000D Airflow White / EVGA G6 1000W / Custom Loop CPU & GPU

The Rainbow X58: i7 975 Extreme Edition @4.2GHz, Asus Sabertooth X58, 6x2GB Mushkin Redline DDR3-1600 @2000MHz, SP 256GB Gen3 M.2 w/ Sabrent M.2 to PCI-E, Inno3D GTX 580 x2 SLI w/ Heatkiller waterblocks, Custom loop in NZXT Phantom White, Corsair XR7 360 rad hanging off the rear end, 360 slim rad up top. RGB everywhere.

49 minutes ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

I did see that. Suppose I forgot the "/s"

Lol, yeah I couldn't hear the sarcasm from my screen. 🤣

So this is what I call RETRO...

I wonder what are the switches for?

And this yellow socket without chip.

And guys believe it or not this PC still works after 25 years...

Gosh PC were a lot better quality before..

Components last 25 years 🙂

enjoy in pics... 

20230109_080437.jpg

20230109_080206.jpg

20230109_080150.jpg

20230109_080030.jpg

20230109_075239.jpg

20230109_075232.jpg

Please do not take offence for my apparent confusion or rudeness,it's not intent me to be like that,it's just my BPD,be nice to me,and I'll return twice better,be rude and usually I get easly pissed of...I'll try to help anyone here,as long as it's something I dealt with,and even if you think I'm rude or not polite,forgive me,  it's not me it's my BPD.

Thanks for understanding.

Please do not take offence for my apparent confusion or rudeness,it's not intent me to be like that,it's just my BPD,be nice to me,and I'll return twice better,be rude and usually I get easly pissed of...I'll try to help anyone here,as long as it's something I dealt with,and even if you think I'm rude or not polite,forgive me,  it's not me it's my BPD.

Thanks for understanding.

1 minute ago, frozensun said:

Seems lika a perfect Windows 98 and DOS machine!

I edit my posts more often than not

One of the servers I maintain is LGA771 based, and it's been getting a little slow lately. So today I upgraded with two Xeon X5365, which is quite literally just the server version of the Core 2 Quad Q9650.

image.png.6e8f872dfebdce6f458d25948569b15e.png

image.thumb.png.ab4a3cb1dabf7e7b96ebbe9bb4ddee64.png

image.png.428866b24fc36f9236c1119cab9d7ade.png

1 hour ago, Mel0n. said:

One of the servers I maintain is LGA771 based, and it's been getting a little slow lately. So today I upgraded with two Xeon X5365, which is quite literally just the server version of the Core 2 Quad Q9650.

image.png.6e8f872dfebdce6f458d25948569b15e.png

image.thumb.png.ab4a3cb1dabf7e7b96ebbe9bb4ddee64.png

image.png.428866b24fc36f9236c1119cab9d7ade.png

That's a modern number of threads! Nice, little faster? What was it it before?

6 hours ago, frozensun said:

If only the fan on mine worked 😞. I'd be able to reassemble a certain desktop of mine completely back to its 1997-1998 configuration.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

1 hour ago, Mel0n. said:

i had two... e6520? E5620? Something. Two 1.6ghz quadcores. So same number of cores, just 1400mhz higher clock.

If the server supports 45nm Xeons, 2x X5450 or E5450 would have been an ever-larger upgrade. Comparing a QX6850 to my X5450 and later E5450 (runs significantly cooler) saw it getting flogged by both Xeons on my P5Q Deluxe. Not 100% sure as to why but the IPC uplift was noticeable just in the Windows desktop.

PMSL

1 hour ago, Dabombinable said:

If the server supports 45nm Xeons, 2x X5450 or E5450 would have been an ever-larger upgrade. Comparing a QX6850 to my X5450 and later E5450 (runs significantly cooler) saw it getting flogged by both Xeons on my P5Q Deluxe. Not 100% sure as to why but the IPC uplift was noticeable just in the Windows desktop.

These are some of the fastest it supports, and they were $50. Other options were in the $75+ range and I don't want to pour money into a 17ish year old server.

1 minute ago, Mel0n. said:

These are some of the fastest it supports, and they were $50. Other options were in the $75+ range and I don't want to pour money into a 17ish year old server.

That's why I said if it supports (server BIOS updates get weird and can be too risky). Kind of a shame as the 45nm Xeons use less power without even using the E SKU while also being far cheaper.

PMSL

4 hours ago, Mel0n. said:

One of the servers I maintain is LGA771 based, and it's been getting a little slow lately. So today I upgraded with two Xeon X5365, which is quite literally just the server version of the Core 2 Quad Q9650

The Intel HEDT Thread would love this

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

As part of my agreement with my school's IT department, whenever they retire old hardware it usually falls right into my open arms. 

Today I picked up a DVR, some laptops, projector (found out it was broken), a little Lenovo system but most importantly this great Chieftec case.

Not a Dragon but quite similar, anyone know what this guy is?

image.png.a0dedaaa54dc1f482e6d011a3f19cbe0.png

image.png.3ff26c4a9fa36c721aebcabacb9d1047.png

image.thumb.png.aa483205c7187592efefa5741869946c.png

Have yet to plug in but I suspect it is LGA775, as it uses DDR2, a PATA optical drive, and that's the 775 stock cooler.

That video card is a Quadro. A lower end one with dual DVI. HDD is a WD Caviar from what I can see, but the rest of the specs are yet to be discovered.

Many laptops I've picked up recently, some from ewaste, some bought. I've gotten really into old Dell Latitudes and decided to have a large collection of Core 2 Duo models. Here's every size class (excluding the Precision M6400 17") that was available around 2008-2010.

image.thumb.png.1ede23e3a786638908718acf28f2f8a4.png

(Latitude E4200, E4300, E6400, Precision M4400)

The E6400 is a rare limited edition red model, I recently restored it and that was a fun project.

I heard someone here likes blacktop WD drives... here's one you don't see too often, the rare-ish RE2 blacktop. Most of these sold were silver but a few were made for OEM systems with the classic black design. As far as I know, this is the fastest and largest capacity retro black top drive you can get.

image.png.ab2ff031874686860fd943a5cdfb0389.png

7 hours ago, Mel0n. said:

but most importantly this great Chieftec case.

Not a Dragon but quite similar, anyone know what this guy is?

A Chieftec BH-01B-U3-OP. Quite the name, lol.

An elegant weapon from a more civilized age (c)

This particular one is not very old physically, however.

photo_2023-01-11_02-51-49.jpg

Yes, I had an account here before. Do not ask me about something related to current political events in the part of the planet I live in - I wouldn't answer that for my own sake and safety. Feel free to address me with any other kind of questions.

On 1/9/2023 at 1:10 AM, Bitter said:

No a computer but a set of powered speakers, lost the left channel. Can you spot why?

Oh god, that looks like a mouldy old cork haha - I don't know much about electronics when we get down to that level but that just looks vile.

Ryzen 5 5600x @ 5GHz - RTX2060 OC'd - MSI B450 Tomahawk MAX 2 - Noctua D15-s - Corsair Crystal Series 680x - 32GB Corsair Vengeance RAM @ 3333GHz - 2x 1080p Monitor @ 75Hz - 3TB Crucial MX500 SSD's - Corsair RM750x PSU - 500GB Crucial P2 M.2 NVME SSD - Arctic MX-4 TIM - Too many fans, not enough screws.

On 1/9/2023 at 11:15 PM, Mel0n. said:

Many laptops I've picked up recently, some from ewaste, some bought. I've gotten really into old Dell Latitudes and decided to have a large collection of Core 2 Duo models. Here's every size class (excluding the Precision M6400 17") that was available around 2008-2010.

I love tinkering with Laptops lately, it's nice not to have to sit at the desk with the desktop. What are the keyboards like? they look pretty tactile and you don't get that in a lot of modern devices, mine are mushy.

Ryzen 5 5600x @ 5GHz - RTX2060 OC'd - MSI B450 Tomahawk MAX 2 - Noctua D15-s - Corsair Crystal Series 680x - 32GB Corsair Vengeance RAM @ 3333GHz - 2x 1080p Monitor @ 75Hz - 3TB Crucial MX500 SSD's - Corsair RM750x PSU - 500GB Crucial P2 M.2 NVME SSD - Arctic MX-4 TIM - Too many fans, not enough screws.

13 minutes ago, Hikingferal said:

I love tinkering with Laptops lately, it's nice not to have to sit at the desk with the desktop. What are the keyboards like? they look pretty tactile and you don't get that in a lot of modern devices, mine are mushy.

They are pretty great, nice and tactile. The keyboards on these old Latitudes are very nice.

3 minutes ago, Mel0n. said:

They are pretty great, nice and tactile. The keyboards on these old Latitudes are very nice.

Yep like old lenovo and ibm thinkpads, heck even my ~2011 Toshiba is nice.

Everyone, Creator初音ミク Hatsune Miku Google commercial.

Cameras: Main: Canon 70D - Secondary: Panasonic GX85 - Spare: Samsung ST68. - Action cams: GoPro Hero+, Akaso EK7000pro

Dead cameras: Nikion s4000, Canon XTi

Pc's

Spoiler

Dell optiplex 5050 (main) - i5-6500- 20GB ram -500gb samsung 970 evo  500gb WD blue HDD - dvd r/w

HP compaq 8300 prebuilt - Intel i5-3470 - 8GB ram - 500GB HDD - bluray drive

old windows 7 gaming desktop - Intel i5 2400 - lenovo CIH61M V:1.0 - 4GB ram - 1TB HDD - dual DVD r/w

main laptop acer e5 15 - Intel i3 7th gen - 16GB ram - 1TB HDD - dvd drive                                                                     

school laptop lenovo 300e chromebook 2nd gen - Intel celeron - 4GB ram - 32GB SSD 

audio mac- 2017 apple macbook air A1466 EMC 3178

Any questions? pm me.

#Muricaparrotgang