2 internet connections 1 isp

OopsThatIsMine

Is it possible to have 2 separate broadband packages from one isp at one house? I'd like to start streaming but I'd rather not share a connection because the fam are all pretty heavy users.

its called the solar system because our sun is called sol

You can. They would add a splitter and give you a 2nd modem and you would have to pay for a 2nd connection as well. 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

It'd usually be quite a bit cheaper to upgrade the package you already have (if possible).

Please quote my post, or put @paddy-stone if you want me to respond to you.

Spoiler
  • PCs:- 
  • Main PC build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/2K6Q7X
  • ASUS x53e  - i7 2670QM / Sony BD writer x8 / Win 10, Elemetary OS, Ubuntu/ Samsung 830 SSD
  • Lenovo G50 - 8Gb RAM - Samsung 860 Evo 250GB SSD - DVD writer
  •  
  • Displays:-
  • Philips 55 OLED 754 model
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  • Philips 24" 1080p monitor as backup
  •  
  • Storage/NAS/Servers:-
  • ESXI/test build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/4wyR9G
  • Main Server https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/3Qftyk
  • Backup server - HP Proliant Gen 8 4 bay NAS running FreeNAS ZFS striped 3x3TiB WD reds
  • HP ProLiant G6 Server SE316M1 Twin Hex Core Intel Xeon E5645 2.40GHz 48GB RAM
  •  
  • Gaming/Tablets etc:-
  • Xbox One S 500GB + 2TB HDD
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi/Pocafone F2 pro 8GB/256GB
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• Unused Hardware currently :-
  • 4670K MSI mobo 16GB ram
  • i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1060 6GB Amp! edition
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini

Depends on where you live. More often than not you’d have to rent another modem and pay for an additional package within that modem too.

You may also be at the disadvantage of having issues with bottlenecking traffic depending on what other load you have running through the main connection into and out of your house as well. They may also charge you additionally if they have to run an additional a eparate line into your house for another modem if they determine the bottleneck is from their service to your house.

You should try updating your package so you have less additional fees for extra setups, calling a tech out to install various hardware that you may get charged extra for... etc etc.

"The only thing that matters right now is that you're here, and you're safe."

11 minutes ago, Zmax said:

Are you on phone or cable.

If you are on a phone line, you may need a second line.  Ask ISP what package they can offer.

I don't think it's a phone line, we still have the router from our old connection on our phone line.

4 hours ago, OopsThatIsMine said:

Is it possible to have 2 separate broadband packages from one isp at one house? I'd like to start streaming but I'd rather not share a connection because the fam are all pretty heavy users.

Depends on ISP. I have heard of some ISP's allowing this, as long as you pay for a separate connection. To ISP's say NO, only one connection per address. Contact your ISP to find out. It also depends on what kind of internet you have, I dont think this will work for DSL. On cable internet this practice does work as long as you have a good enough signal to support both modems. 

You could try to purchase a better internet package. Also, if you put your modem/router in bridge mode and buy a  better router will better QoS options. Ive seen my Synology router allows me to set speeds for devices and services. This is a great way to ensure what ever your trying to do as enough bandwidth. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

what are you on? fiber, coax, DSL?

looking at my isps 

Fiber, you can get up to 4 accounts from 1 ont. bandwidth feeding the network might be an issue

coax in theory is possible I guess

DSL, you can but need a 2nd line and a 2nd modem, soon they will be pair bonding the system allowing 1 modem. Same time will offer the double capacity in 1 package.

On 3/11/2018 at 3:46 PM, intertan said:

what are you on? fiber, coax, DSL?

looking at my isps 

Fiber, you can get up to 4 accounts from 1 ont. bandwidth feeding the network might be an issue

coax in theory is possible I guess

DSL, you can but need a 2nd line and a 2nd modem, soon they will be pair bonding the system allowing 1 modem. Same time will offer the double capacity in 1 package.

Virgin Fiber