Toothpaste as Temporary Thermal Paste replacement?

DrDerp

Okay, I know the idea is bad, and I know that in general this shouldn’t be done, but I need to test out a Motherboard and have no actual thermal paste on hand. Is it possible to use this as a substitute temporarily?

Who needs fancy graphics and high resolutions when you can get a 60 FPS frame rate on iGPUs?

oh good god LOL. I'd run it without a cooler using a piece of paper to hand fan the cpu before using tooth paste xD

Osmium: NFC Skyreach 4 // i7-8700k (delidd) // GTX 1080 // 32GB DDR4-3200Mhz // 1TB 960 Evo M.2 // 1.1TB MX300 m.2
Peripherals: Razer Blackwidow // Razer Orbweaver // Razer Kraken // Logitech G502 // Logitech K830 // LG 34UC88-B

Usage: Adobe Lightroom // Adobe Photoshop // Web Dev // Recording Gameplay // Video Editing // Portable Gaming

toothpaste is designed to be an abrasive.. i'd dare state on this fortress of idealists that running dry is probably better than toothpaste.

besides, if its at least somewhat recent, running without a cooler isnt actually as bad as some make it out to be:

3 minutes ago, Revamp said:

oh good god LOL. I'd run it without a cooler using a piece of paper to hand fan the cpu before using tooth paste xD

I did that and it had to be hitting at least 100 degrees after literally ten seconds.

At least that’s what it felt like!

Who needs fancy graphics and high resolutions when you can get a 60 FPS frame rate on iGPUs?

Just now, DrDerp said:

I did that and it had to be hitting at least 100 degrees after literally ten seconds.

Obvious answer is to put ice cubes on the CPU :S

Osmium: NFC Skyreach 4 // i7-8700k (delidd) // GTX 1080 // 32GB DDR4-3200Mhz // 1TB 960 Evo M.2 // 1.1TB MX300 m.2
Peripherals: Razer Blackwidow // Razer Orbweaver // Razer Kraken // Logitech G502 // Logitech K830 // LG 34UC88-B

Usage: Adobe Lightroom // Adobe Photoshop // Web Dev // Recording Gameplay // Video Editing // Portable Gaming

Just now, DrDerp said:

and thats where a modern cpu goes into self protect mode, and keeps itself running ;)

Actually I have another question: no paste, just the cooler?

Just now, DrDerp said:

Actually I have another question: no paste, just the cooler?

as i said, running dry is probably better than any "household pastes"

use the heatsink without the thermal paste works you will have higher temperatures but it will be in the safe range

Please do not substitute anything to use on your pc until you get the proper stuff. A $12-$25 usd tube of the proper thermal paste is not worth the loss of your $500 to $1500+ rig.

I'm being serious.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

Yes, you can use toothpaste, but I don't recommend it as real thermal paste is pretty cheap.

Computer engineering grad student, cybersecurity researcher, and hobbyist embedded systems developer

Daily Driver:

CPU: Ryzen 7 4800H | GPU: RTX 2060 | RAM: 16GB DDR4 3200MHz C16

Gaming PC:

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600X | GPU: EVGA RTX 2080Ti | RAM: 32GB DDR4 3200MHz C16

www.amazon.com

Prime membership / trial membership

Add paste into cart

Check out

Have real thermal paste delivered and not use janky tooth paste

I ran my PC and many other PCs, without a heatsink quite a few times to test if the system would boot, if everything was properly detected in the bios, etc...

If you do it for a few minutes, it's perfectly safe, it will get hot, but not deadly hot for it.

But if you're intending to use it for much longer than that, just go and buy a tube of thermal paste.

If you can't get any locally because you live in a tiny ass village that doesn't have a computer store, order it online with next day shipping or something.

Don't use toothpaste or any other kind of "paste" you can get in your home. You're just risking losing your expensive hardware because you couldn't be patient.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

If you just want to test, you can without any paste or anything in between the cooler and the processor. Just put the cooler on and turn it on.

Just don't use anything, the cpu will be 5-10 degrees C hotter and the cooler fan will be noisier but otherwise nothing bad it's gonna happen.

Thermal paste is there (applied in a very thin layer) to fill the microscopic holes in the two metals (the top of cpu and the heatsink surface), so even without the paste, you'll still have contact between the metals and heat will be transferred, just not as efficient as with paste applied.

mayonnaise is better imo

ASUS X470-PRO • R7 1700 4GHz • Corsair H110i GT P/P • 2x MSI RX 480 8G • Corsair DP 2x8 @3466 • EVGA 750 G2 • Corsair 730T • Crucial MX500 250GB • WD 4TB

2 hours ago, DrDerp said:

Okay, I know the idea is bad, and I know that in general this shouldn’t be done, but I need to test out a Motherboard and have no actual thermal paste on hand. Is it possible to use this as a substitute temporarily?

Test a motherboard? As in not stress testing, just making sure it boots? Just don't use anything. As long as you don't run any stress tests just don't use anything...

Main System: EVGA GTX 1080 SC, i7 8700, 16GB DDR4 Corsair LPX 3000mhz CL15, Asus Z370 Prime A, Noctua NH D15, EVGA GQ 650W, Fractal Design Define R5, 2TB Seagate Barracuda, 500gb Samsung 850 Evo
Secondary System: EVGA GTX 780ti SC, i5 3570k @ 4.5ghz, 16gb DDR3 1600mhz, MSI Z77 G43, Noctua NH D15, EVGA GQ 650W, Fractal Design Define R4, 3TB WD Caviar Blue, 250gb Samsung 850 Evo

2 hours ago, DrDerp said:

X0dw1vz.gif

Corsair 4000D RGB

Asus B550 Tuf Gaming II

Asus 7700XT Tuf Gaming

AMD 5600x3d

32gb 3200mhz gskil 

Don't you have a local hardware store in your area to go and buy thermal paste?

Main system: Ryzen 7 7800X3D / Asus ROG Strix B650E / G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO 32GB 6000Mhz / Powercolor RX 7900 XTX Red Devil/ EVGA 750W GQ / NZXT H5 Flow

better to hit up an automotive store and see what they got then use toothpaste.

Woah, that’s a lotta responses! I just used the cooler with some pressure on it and tested everything out, it’s all good!