HDD platters

Beef Boss

What are the platters made of? I bent many platters and they just bend. But I just shattered one. I feel like it was made of glass or some really hard plastic. Anybody know? That's a hazard, I mean I could've gotten a piece in my eye if I didn't wear glasses... 

Corsair 4000D RGB

Asus B550 Tuf Gaming II

Asus 7700XT Tuf Gaming

AMD 5600x3d

32gb 3200mhz gskil 

7 minutes ago, BadluckBrian said:

That's a hazard, I mean I could've gotten a piece in my eye if I didn't wear glasses... 

Now they will start putting labels on HDD stating don't break the platters. Just like they now mention not to eat tide pods LOL.

Osmium: NFC Skyreach 4 // i7-8700k (delidd) // GTX 1080 // 32GB DDR4-3200Mhz // 1TB 960 Evo M.2 // 1.1TB MX300 m.2
Peripherals: Razer Blackwidow // Razer Orbweaver // Razer Kraken // Logitech G502 // Logitech K830 // LG 34UC88-B

Usage: Adobe Lightroom // Adobe Photoshop // Web Dev // Recording Gameplay // Video Editing // Portable Gaming

Wikipedia says "Platters are typically made using an aluminium or glass and ceramic substrate. As of 2015, laptop hard drive platters are made from glass while aluminum platters are often found in desktop computers."

12 minutes ago, BadluckBrian said:

That's a hazard, I mean I could've gotten a piece in my eye if I didn't wear glasses... 

You're not supposed to open HDDs anyway, there's a label on it. So that's enough warning. Not sure if trolling or...

You're not supposed to open hard drives because they're supposed to be sealed against particulate. The head of the drive is literally nanometers above the platter so even a tiny dust particle would cause the head to crash.

So if you opened a hard drive in any place but a clean room, you just made it useless.

24 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

if you opened a hard drive in any place but a clean room, you just made it useless.

That was my intent, I was trying to destroy the drive because I was "retiring it" 

1 hour ago, The Viking said:

Not sure if trolling or...

When I stop using drives, I take them apart and break them. The drive wasnt functioning correctly and was dying so I tried to bend the platter. I know you aren't supposed to open drives, I only open it if I have the intent to destroy it. 

Corsair 4000D RGB

Asus B550 Tuf Gaming II

Asus 7700XT Tuf Gaming

AMD 5600x3d

32gb 3200mhz gskil 

Oh I see. Well, yeah, they don't really have any duty of telling you to be carefull as you're not supposed to open it or even destroy it when it breaks, but I do see why you did it, yes, for more security. Now you know you should be carefull next time.

6 hours ago, Revamp said:

Now they will start putting labels on HDD stating don't break the platters. Just like they now mention not to eat tide pods LOL.

Just dont open it, or when opening be real real careful and wear safety goggles.