GTX 1060, 1070 or 1080? Or should I wait

MoHS

Hello,

I'm planning to build a PC for the first time, I'll use if for gaming mostly as well as Graphics Design, 3D modeling and rendering.

my only concern is choosing the GPU at this time of the year.

At first I was planning on getting GTX 1070, as I don't think I need a 1080 and was not welling to pay for it.

But after seeing the prices I found that 1070's are +710 USD and 1080's can be found at 760-810 USD

at the same time I started considering getting the GTX 1060 which is much cheaper at around 400 USD.

Anyways, I want your opinion on whether the 1060 would be enough for me or not. Can it run 1080p @144Hz even if at Mid settings ? and does it provide more value than the 1070 or 1080 at its price ?

Note that most of my 3D rendering is done on my company's PC. But I might still use mine.

Processor: intel i7-8700k 3.7GHz 6-core

MotherBoard: Asus Prime Z370-A

RAM:Corsair Venegeance LPX 16GB (2x8) DDR4 - 2400MHz
GPU: Gigabyte GTX 1080 Windforce OC 8G - or MSI GeForce GTX 1060 6G

Cooler: Cooler Master - Hyper 212 EVO

SSD: WD-Blue 2.5" 250 GB SSD

HDD: 2TB Seagate Barracuda 3.5" 7200 RPM

Power: EVGA SuperNOVA 550W 80+ Gold Certified

Case:  Phanteks - ECLIPSE P400 TEMPERED GLASS  OR NZXL S340 Elite (Black)  - (what you think)? 

Wifi: TP-Link N900 Wireless Dual Band PCI-Express Adapter

https://pcpartpicker.com/user/MoHS/saved/#view=DWTf8d

Finally is it worth waiting for April or May in hopes for the prices to go down, or will I regret it ?

Thank you :)

1 minute ago, MoHS said:

Finally is it worth waiting for April or May in hopes for the prices to go down, or will I regret it ?

maybe prices will double again

maybe prices will go back to MSRP

maybe the whole market will crash and GPUs will be worth half MSRP

maybe dbrand will finally deliver my GRIP case that I've been waiting for since November

and maybe i'll discover a magic lantern in my backyard that cures both world hunger and the GPU shortage

basically, nobody knows.

if you want your GPU now, then get it now. if you can wait in hopes of a price drop, then wait.

*BTW prices increasing much beyond this point is insanely unlikely, so if you wait, the only two options are that it will stay the same or get better.

QUOTE/TAG ME WHEN REPLYING

Spend As Much Time Writing Your Question As You Want Me To Spend Responding To It.

If I'm wrong, please point it out. I'm always learning & I won't bite.

Desktop:

Delidded Core i7 4770K - GTX 1070 ROG Strix - 16GB DDR3 - Lots of RGB lights I never change

Laptop:

HP Spectre X360 - i7 8560U - MX150 - 2TB SSD - 16GB DDR4

honestly prices are far to insane to consider buying ANY cards right now (unless you manage to catch a Founders Edition card directly from Nvidia when they are in stock at regular MSRP price), unless you just NEED a GPU TODAY, there is no reason to pay these prices, so I would WAIT.

Personally I built my gaming desktop in the fall of 2016, I got the 6700k and everything else but my GPU (partly because I didn't have the budget for a GPU at the time) and just used it like that for the first 9 months and I'm happy I did, because in that 9 months time I was able to save up some money, the 1080ti's where announced and the pricing on the other cards went down, then I got super lucky and caught a killer cashback deal through an app my sister showed me that got me a 15% cashback (100 dollar max) deal ontop of the 15% off (20 max) and the 1.5% cashback of my credit card that allowed me to snag a 1080ti for under 600 bucks brand new, had bought at the time of building my rig I would have paid more then that for a regular 1080.

If you buy now (unless you get a card from Nvidia Directly) you will be very sorry you over paid by so much, NO GPU is worth what they are selling for now, I litterally built my entire computer for what this 1080ti is going for new https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIAB276X21001&cm_re=1080ti-_-9SIAB276X21001-_-Product

7 minutes ago, Daniel644 said:

If you buy now (unless you get a card from Nvidia Directly) you will be very sorry you over paid by so much, NO GPU is worth what they are selling for now, I litterally built my entire computer for what this 1080ti is going for new https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIAB276X21001&cm_re=1080ti-_-9SIAB276X21001-_-Product

I totally agree.  Get an old used card for now if you must.  Give it a few months and see what happens.

i7 4790k @4.7 | GTX 1070 Strix | Z97 Sabertooth | 32GB  DDR3 2400 mhz | Intel 750 SSD | Define R5 | Corsair K70 | Steel Series Rival | XB271, 1440p, IPS, 165hz | 5.1 Surround
PC Build

Desk Build

780ti if you have the PSU for it. Maybe a 680, which is equivalent to a 1050ti

That's an F in the profile pic

@MoHS

I have two friends with 1060s, and they won't push 1080p@144FPS without dropping a lot of settings. They both play on Ultra and hold around 60fps fine, so I don't know if dropping to Medium would be enough headroom. My guess is no.

My 980Ti was getting 65-80FPS at 1080p on Ultra in Witcher 3 with Hairworks, which is comparable to a 1070. A friend of mine with a 1070 sees about the same. By dropping settings I was able to easily break 100 FPS with mostly Medium and a few High settings and no Hairworks.

Another friend of mine uses a 1080 and he likes playing at 144Hz and manages it just fine on High/Ultra for just about everything.

As the market stands right now, I wouldn't recommend buying any of the above new. They are simply not worth the price. Wait for the next series of GPUs to launch or try to get a used/refurbished deal somewhere.

1 hour ago, RadiatingLight said:

maybe prices will double again

maybe prices will go back to MSRP

maybe the whole market will crash and GPUs will be worth half MSRP

maybe dbrand will finally deliver my GRIP case that I've been waiting for since November

and maybe i'll discover a magic lantern in my backyard that cures both world hunger and the GPU shortage

basically, nobody knows.

if you want your GPU now, then get it now. if you can wait in hopes of a price drop, then wait.

*BTW prices increasing much beyond this point is insanely unlikely, so if you wait, the only two options are that it will stay the same or get better.

Ok thanks, 

52 minutes ago, Daniel644 said:

honestly prices are far to insane to consider buying ANY cards right now (unless you manage to catch a Founders Edition card directly from Nvidia when they are in stock at regular MSRP price), unless you just NEED a GPU TODAY, there is no reason to pay these prices, so I would WAIT.

Personally I built my gaming desktop in the fall of 2016, I got the 6700k and everything else but my GPU (partly because I didn't have the budget for a GPU at the time) and just used it like that for the first 9 months and I'm happy I did, because in that 9 months time I was able to save up some money, the 1080ti's where announced and the pricing on the other cards went down, then I got super lucky and caught a killer cashback deal through an app my sister showed me that got me a 15% cashback (100 dollar max) deal ontop of the 15% off (20 max) and the 1.5% cashback of my credit card that allowed me to snag a 1080ti for under 600 bucks brand new, had bought at the time of building my rig I would have paid more then that for a regular 1080.

Ok, thanks for the reply

34 minutes ago, smittywits said:

@MoHS

I have two friends with 1060s, and they won't push 1080p@144FPS without dropping a lot of settings. They both play on Ultra and hold around 60fps fine, so I don't know if dropping to Medium would be enough headroom. My guess is no.

My 980Ti was getting 65-80FPS at 1080p on Ultra in Witcher 3 with Hairworks, which is comparable to a 1070. A friend of mine with a 1070 sees about the same. By dropping settings I was able to easily break 100 FPS with mostly Medium and a few High settings and no Hairworks.

Another friend of mine uses a 1080 and he likes playing at 144Hz and manages it just fine on High/Ultra for just about everything.

As the market stands right now, I wouldn't recommend buying any of the above new. They are simply not worth the price. Wait for the next series of GPUs to launch or try to get a used/refurbished deal somewhere.

Ok thank for the reply :)

I'm personally waiting for prices go down, yes, I know that could be years, but you should at least wait until the Volta cards come out, that won't be in a very long time but the Pascal prices will go down, then you'll also have the option to go the Volta route.

I have had my 680 for like 5 years now. My mindset is another few months for the next gen of cards is nothing

Here is my experience getting an EVGA 1070 Ti a week ago for $500.

If you have a PC oarts dealer such as microcenter nearby, scour their website regularly. They tend to price things close to MSRP nowadays. For my card I was looking at refurbished/open box returns when voila an EVGA 1070ti SC black edition showed up. I ran to the store, the card was in the box (was sold to someone a day prior who returned it without giving a reason), it looked intact with all the parts and pieces. The SN matched the box. Microcenter has a great return policy so I took the card home, and put it into my Ryzen system (replacing a 1060) and it worked just fine. I OCed it, checked thermals, and stress tested it.

If youre trying ebay its almost impossible to score any deals.

AMD Ryzen 3950x under a Noctua D15S, 32 Gb G Skill FlareX 3200 DDR4 running at 3200 CL14, Gigabyte Aorus Pro 570 Wifi, Gigabyte 2070 Super hooked to a Dell U2718Q 4k HDR monitor & an Acer 1440p 144hz IPS panel of some kind, an Inland 1 TB M.2 PCIE 4 main drive, a Samsung NVME M.2 250Gb, WD Blue 500Gb  and 1 TB SSDs, Corsair RMX750, Rainbows and butterflies...

I doubt prices will go down in may, but its probably worth it to wait since prices are just absurd. 

I lucked out and bought my strix 1070 ti in early december right before the gpu apocalypse. If i had opted to wait for ampere id be up a creek now. 

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700x,  MOBO: ASUS TUF X570 Gaming Pro wifi, CPU cooler: Noctua U12a RAM: Gskill Ripjaws V @3600mhz,  GPU: Asus Tuf RTX OC 3080 PSU: Seasonic Focus GX850 CASE: Lian Li Lancool 2 Mesh Storage: 500 GB Inland Premium M.2,  Sandisk Ultra Plus II 256 GB & 120 GB