Car Enthusiast Club [Now Motorcycle friendly!] - First thread to 150k! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

techswede
Go to solution Solved by techswede,
26 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Don't lump me in with them. I'm an enthusiast of mechanic design, be it engines, weaponry, or productive machinery. Not a guy with a wrench that reads the marketing garbage AFE/insert other "enthusiast" brand that can't legally warranty half of their products.

I fail to see a correlation between people screeching variations of "forced induction is more efficient!!! Reclaimed energy!!!" and anything I've said.

If you can't be civil. Please leave

Edit. That goes for everyone in the thread

yes in nyc there a are a few as taxis that cater to physically disabled people 

Now that you mention it, I do remember there being a few of them as taxis in Chicago last time I was there

CPU: R5 5800X3D Motherboard - MSI X570 Gaming Plus RAM - 32GB Corsair DDR4 GPU - XFX 7900 XTX 4GB Case - NZXT H5 Flow (White) Storage - 2X 4TB Samsung 990 Pro PSU - Corsair RM100E Cooling - Corsair H100i Elite Capellix Keyboard Corsair K70 (Brown Switches)  Mouse - Corsair Nightsword RGB

if anyone is a Lamborghini fan look at the price jump of the countach on hagertys price guide

post-116840-0-25365000-1444322308_thumb.

Project Iridium:   CPU: Intel 4820K   CPU Cooler: Custom Loop  Motherboard: Asus Rampage IV Black Edition   RAM: Avexir Blitz  Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB SSD and Seagate Barracuda 3TB HDD   GPU: Asus 780 6GB Strix   Case: IN WIN 909   PSU: Corsair RM1000      Project Iridium build log http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/451088-project-iridium-build-log/

if anyone is a Lamborghini fan look at the price jump of the countach on hagertys price guide

hqdefault.jpg

"an obvious supporter of privacy"

attachicon.gifScreenshot (8).png

the values of Porsche have a similar trend.

Recovering Apple addict

ASUS Zephyrus G14 2022

Spoiler

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 6900HS GPU: AMD r680M / RX 6700S RAM: 16GB DDR5 

the values of Porsche have a similar trend.

yes but not on the extream levels like this they just go up steadly this shot up from 800k to 1.8 mil in a few months

Project Iridium:   CPU: Intel 4820K   CPU Cooler: Custom Loop  Motherboard: Asus Rampage IV Black Edition   RAM: Avexir Blitz  Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB SSD and Seagate Barracuda 3TB HDD   GPU: Asus 780 6GB Strix   Case: IN WIN 909   PSU: Corsair RM1000      Project Iridium build log http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/451088-project-iridium-build-log/

what do you racing sim guys think of this? I don't have much money to spend, and I don't have a controller to use either. I just happened to stumble upon this while browsing.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Logitech-Driving-Force-with-Force-Feedback-Racing-Wheel-for-Playstation-2-PS2-PC-/281810840433?hash=item419d3c2b71

Recovering Apple addict

ASUS Zephyrus G14 2022

Spoiler

i dont have any classes today and i am really bored. so i did a little number crunching and figured out that if you wanted to own almost every Lamborghini model that was not a prototype and actually made it into production you would spend about 21 to 22 million dollars. i even made a nice little spreadsheet. but i did not include different editions or years of the car just the lowest price for the model in near mint condition. (i will make a more detailed one for Lamborghini later with years and trim) also if you want to see any other price for every company's models just suggest it and i will make a spreadsheet for that company 

post-116840-0-84957200-1444325426_thumb.

what do you racing sim guys think of this? I don't have much money to spend, and I don't have a controller to use either. I just happened to stumble upon this while browsing.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Logitech-Driving-Force-with-Force-Feedback-Racing-Wheel-for-Playstation-2-PS2-PC-/281810840433?hash=item419d3c2b71

For the money, you can't do any better. That's a bargain if I ever saw one. I'd snatch that up asap, if I were you. ;)

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

Woodland Raven: Ryzen 2700X // AMD Wraith RGB // Asus Prime X570-P // G.Skill 2x 8GB 3600MHz DDR4 // Radeon RX Vega 56 // Crucial P1 NVMe 1TB M.2 SSD // Deepcool DQ650-M // chassis build in progress // Windows 10 // Thrustmaster TMX + G27 pedals & shifter

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

FX-8350 // Deepcool Neptwin // MSI 970 Gaming // AData 2x 4GB 1600 DDR3 // 2x Gigabyte RX-570 4G's // Samsung 840 120GB SSD // Cooler Master V650 // Windows 10

HTPC:

Spoiler

SNES PC (HTPC): i3-4150 @3.5 // Gigabyte GA-H87N-Wifi // G.Skill 2x 4GB DDR3 1600 // Asus Dual GTX 1050Ti 4GB OC // AData SP600 128GB SSD // Pico 160XT PSU // Custom SNES Enclosure // 55" LG LED 1080p TV  // Logitech wireless touchpad-keyboard // Windows 10 // Build Log

Laptops:

Spoiler

MY DAILY: Lenovo ThinkPad T410 // 14" 1440x900 // i5-540M 2.5GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD iGPU + Quadro NVS 3100M 512MB dGPU // 2x4GB DDR3L 1066 // Mushkin Triactor 480GB SSD // Windows 10

WIFE'S: Dell Latitude E5450 // 14" 1366x768 // i5-5300U 2.3GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD5500 // 2x4GB RAM DDR3L 1600 // 500GB 7200 HDD // Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

EXPERIMENTAL: Pinebook // 11.6" 1080p // Manjaro KDE (ARM)

NAS:

Spoiler

Home NAS: Pentium G4400 @3.3 // Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 // 2x 4GB DDR4 2400 // Intel HD Graphics // Kingston A400 120GB SSD // 3x Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 HDDs in RAID-Z // Cooler Master Silent Pro M 1000w PSU // Antec Performance Plus 1080AMG // FreeNAS OS

i dont have any classes today and i am really bored. so i did a little number crunching and figured out that if you wanted to own almost every Lamborghini model that was not a prototype and actually made it into production you would spend about 21 to 22 million dollars. i even made a nice little spreadsheet. but i did not include different editions or years of the car just the lowest price for the model in near mint condition. (i will make a more detailed one for Lamborghini later with years and trim) also if you want to see any other price for every company's models just suggest it and i will make a spreadsheet for that company 

attachicon.gifScreenshot (9).png

Bargain xD

If you feel like it i'd like to suggest mercedes cars. Pre 90s 

====>The car thread<====>Dark Souls thread<====>Placeholder<====
"Life is like a raging river, Its gonna get rough downstream. And people's gonna piss in it" 

"Who discovered we could get milk from cows, and what did he THINK he was doing at the time?"

Bargain xD

alright this one will be a little more challenging and i will post a sheet later today 

For the money, you can't do any better. That's a bargain if I ever saw one. I'd snatch that up asap, if I were you. ;)

cool! maybe this will tide me over until I can afford to get a real car.

Recovering Apple addict

ASUS Zephyrus G14 2022

Spoiler

So, question, how much would it cost to turbo a Prelude?

My friend has a 5th gen Prelude, and is wanting more power.

How much would it cost to properly turbo it and make maybe about 15PSI?

CPU: R5 5800X3D Motherboard - MSI X570 Gaming Plus RAM - 32GB Corsair DDR4 GPU - XFX 7900 XTX 4GB Case - NZXT H5 Flow (White) Storage - 2X 4TB Samsung 990 Pro PSU - Corsair RM100E Cooling - Corsair H100i Elite Capellix Keyboard Corsair K70 (Brown Switches)  Mouse - Corsair Nightsword RGB

Thats not bad, though if you can a Momo wheel isn't that much more expensive. Of course it depends on location, but from personal experience the Momo wheel was more than enough to get me by until I could afford a G27. More or less the same pedals as the Driving Force EX you listed, but 270 degrees of rotation compared to 200 (unless Google is wrong) and it comes with a swappable (left or right side) sequential shifter. Both are cheapo wheels so don't expect them to give you DFGT performance, but either are still a step up from a controller.

s-l1600.jpg

The buttons do add some nice functionality.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Logitech-PC-PS3-Momo-Force-Feedback-Racing-Steering-Wheel-Tested-/291579906909?hash=item43e3844b5d

Folding@Home | BOINC

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X + Celsius S36 GPU: ASUS TUF RTX3080 

MB: ASRock x470 Taichi RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-2666 32GB 

CASE: Fractal Design Define 7 Panda STORAGE: WD Black SN770 2TB + WD Red Pro 6TB

You're probably better off asking someone that has actually done it.

15psi is about 1 civilized bar right? So you aren't asking much of the engine.

But getting some input from someone that has turboed that specific engine can save you a lot of money.

Or getting a professional opinion. 

You could probably junkyard turbo it for 500$. But depending on what you want to do it can be pricy

"Life is like a raging river, Its gonna get rough downstream. And people's gonna piss in it" 

"Who discovered we could get milk from cows, and what did he THINK he was doing at the time?"

You know you love cars when they start to feel like a member of the family.

Bargain xD

im just going to do the significant models of mercedes benz  there are just to many sorry.

My golf is the harry potter of my family.. 

im just going to do the significant models of mercedes benz  there are just to many sorry.

Wasn't expecting a miracle  :D Not forcing you either^^ 

I would just save up for a g27. There is no point in getting into Sim racing only change your setup down the road. It's not easy setting up and getting used to it.

If he is building it and putting it together I don't think he should turbo it. It's not easy as make a exhaustanifold get the actual turbo hooked up. Do the intake plumbing make brackets for intercooler. You also have to tune the engine. If you want to see real gain you would need to upgrade injectors fuel pump and so on.

AMD FX 8350 | 2X XFX RADEON HD7850 | ASUS SABERTOOTH R2.0 | NZXT GUARDIAN 921RB | KINGSTON HYPER-X 2X8GB 

Just got my Fluke (only took a damn week and a half). Time to probe everything passing current. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

(Warring; here comes another wall of text, lol. Sorry.)

First off, it's a common misconception to say "I want to install a turbo and run X amount of boost". It doesn't work that way. What your friend needs to do first is decide how much power he wants and he needs to be reasonable about it. Before doing anything, you need to make sure the engine is in good health (doesn't burn excessive amounts of oil (this era of Honda motors all burned oil, it's normal), no knocking or ticking, check valve lash, check timing belt, etc.). Then if it's good, he can move on to the next step. Consider the following:

-The H22 engine in the Prelude is already somewhat high-strung as a high-revving high-output NA engine (200-220hp).

-This means it runs higher compression to start with which will limit how much [additional] power can be made with the stock internals.

Most engines can handle about a 40% increase in power above stock on the stock internals. For engines like the one in the Prelude, I would say more like 30% to be on the safe side. So we're looking at 260 to 280hp. Also keep in mind; this is a FWD car and for FWD anything much above about 260 is PLENTY. If he wants more power than that, you're looking at internals which is getting into big money - I'd say $5000+. 

Keeping things reasonable and sticking with stock internals, it could be done properly for under $2000. BUT (and this is a big but), that's if he does most or all of the work himself and knows where and how to get the right parts for very good prices. If you have further question about this, feel free to shoot me a PM. 

Now, moving along with the process, let's say he's cool with making 260-280hp. The next step is very important - properly sizing the turbo. I can't stress this enough; bigger IS NOT better! Especially if this is a street car, you want usable power not a dyno queen. There is a whole method to choosing the right turbo, but I won't get into it here as it's quite a drawn out process. But I can tell you from experience, a turbo with similar specs to that which is used on a stock WRX or base Lancer Evo (4G63) would be just about right for this engine and power target.

Once you have all necessary parts/components, you can assemble. I will stress this as well; do it right and do it right the first time. DO NOT cheap out on anything. Remember this: Fast, Reliable, Cheap. You can only pick 2 of those 3 things. ;) Avoid cheap ebay turbo kits and turbo manifolds from ebay like the plague! They are cheap for a reason. For a complete list of parts you would need, send me a PM.

You also have to consider engine management. You can go with a Megasquirt stand alone system, which is what I'd recommend. That will give you full control and incredible tuning granularity for a much lower cost compared to other more well known EMS's like AEM etc. which are overrated. The only thing is that MS is not as plug and play as other EMS's but if you don't mind learning how to do some wiring, that can be remedied. 

After you get everything put together and the EMS is ready go, it's time to tune. This is where you find out how much boost you need to run in order to reach your power target. This is why I said earlier you don't choose how much boost you want to run, you choose how much power you want to make. That, along with the specific turbo you use, will dictate how much boost is needed. ;) It may take 8psi, it make take 15psi. Regardless, proper tuning is key and will play a big role in the reliability of the final product. 

A few more things to note: increasing power via forced induction is actually less stressful on internal components vs revving the engine at higher rpms. What causes damage with forced induction is the increased heat produced from the higher energy being released during combustion. This excessive heat can melt the piston if the heat build up is too great. This is why I also tell people doing such mods on stock internals to not run at WOT (wide open throttle) for prolonged periods of time. Going down the drag strip is fine because it's only for a few seconds. Drivetrain components like axles, trans and clutch need to be minded as well. Doing hard launches while producing significantly more torque over stock is not good for anything and unnecessary, really. Launch soft, then roll into the boost (this is one of the greatest feelings to experience as a car enthusiast). ;)

I should probably stop there or I'll keep going on and on. lol. Any other questions, just send me a PM. :)

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

Woodland Raven: Ryzen 2700X // AMD Wraith RGB // Asus Prime X570-P // G.Skill 2x 8GB 3600MHz DDR4 // Radeon RX Vega 56 // Crucial P1 NVMe 1TB M.2 SSD // Deepcool DQ650-M // chassis build in progress // Windows 10 // Thrustmaster TMX + G27 pedals & shifter

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

FX-8350 // Deepcool Neptwin // MSI 970 Gaming // AData 2x 4GB 1600 DDR3 // 2x Gigabyte RX-570 4G's // Samsung 840 120GB SSD // Cooler Master V650 // Windows 10

HTPC:

Spoiler

SNES PC (HTPC): i3-4150 @3.5 // Gigabyte GA-H87N-Wifi // G.Skill 2x 4GB DDR3 1600 // Asus Dual GTX 1050Ti 4GB OC // AData SP600 128GB SSD // Pico 160XT PSU // Custom SNES Enclosure // 55" LG LED 1080p TV  // Logitech wireless touchpad-keyboard // Windows 10 // Build Log

Laptops:

Spoiler

MY DAILY: Lenovo ThinkPad T410 // 14" 1440x900 // i5-540M 2.5GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD iGPU + Quadro NVS 3100M 512MB dGPU // 2x4GB DDR3L 1066 // Mushkin Triactor 480GB SSD // Windows 10

WIFE'S: Dell Latitude E5450 // 14" 1366x768 // i5-5300U 2.3GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD5500 // 2x4GB RAM DDR3L 1600 // 500GB 7200 HDD // Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

EXPERIMENTAL: Pinebook // 11.6" 1080p // Manjaro KDE (ARM)

NAS:

Spoiler

Home NAS: Pentium G4400 @3.3 // Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 // 2x 4GB DDR4 2400 // Intel HD Graphics // Kingston A400 120GB SSD // 3x Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 HDDs in RAID-Z // Cooler Master Silent Pro M 1000w PSU // Antec Performance Plus 1080AMG // FreeNAS OS

Just got my Fluke (only took a damn week and a half). Time to probe everything passing current. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

TEST ALL THE THINGS!!!

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

(Warring; here comes another wall of text, lol. Sorry.)

First off, it's a common misconception to say "I want to install a turbo and run X amount of boost". It doesn't work that way. What your friend needs to do first is decide how much power he wants and he needs to be reasonable about it. Before doing anything, you need to make sure the engine is in good health (doesn't burn excessive amounts of oil (this era of Honda motors all burned oil, it's normal), no knocking or ticking, check valve lash, check timing belt, etc.). Then if it's good, he can move on to the next step. Consider the following:

-The H22 engine in the Prelude is already somewhat high-strung as a high-revving high-output NA engine (200-220hp).

-This means it runs higher compression to start with which will limit how much [additional] power can be made with the stock internals.

Most engines can handle about a 40% increase in power above stock on the stock internals. For engines like the one in the Prelude, I would say more like 30% to be on the safe side. So we're looking at 260 to 280hp. Also keep in mind; this is a FWD car and for FWD anything much above about 260 is PLENTY. If he wants more power than that, you're looking at internals which is getting into big money - I'd say $5000+. 

Keeping things reasonable and sticking with stock internals, it could be done properly for under $2000. BUT (and this is a big but), that's if he does most or all of the work himself and knows where and how to get the right parts for very good prices. If you have further question about this, feel free to shoot me a PM. 

Now, moving along with the process, let's say he's cool with making 260-280hp. The next step is very important - properly sizing the turbo. I can't stress this enough; bigger IS NOT better! Especially if this is a street car, you want usable power not a dyno queen. There is a whole method to choosing the right turbo, but I won't get into it here as it's quite a drawn out process. But I can tell you from experience, a turbo with similar specs to that which is used on a stock WRX or base Lancer Evo (4G63) would be just about right for this engine and power target.

Once you have all necessary parts/components, you can assemble. I will stress this as well; do it right and do it right the first time. DO NOT cheap out on anything. Remember this: Fast, Reliable, Cheap. You can only pick 2 of those 3 things. ;)

You also have to consider engine management. You can go with a Megasquirt stand alone system, which is what I'd recommend. That will give you full control and incredible tuning granularity for a much lower cost compared to other more well known EMS's like AEM etc. which are overrated. The only thing is that MS is not as plug and play as other EMS's but if you don't mind learning how to do some wiring, that can be remedied. 

After you get everything put together and the EMS is ready go, it's time to tune. This is where you find out how much boost you need to run in order to reach your power target. This is why I said earlier you don't choose how much boost you want to run, you choose how much power you want to make. That, along with the specific turbo you use, will dictate how much boost is needed. ;) It may take 8psi, it make take 15psi. Regardless, proper tuning is key and will play a big role in the reliability of the final product. 

One more thing to note: increasing power via forced induction is less stressful on internal components vs revving the engine at higher rpms. What causes damage with forced induction is the increased heat produced from the higher energy being released during combustion. This excessive heat can melt the piston if the heat build up is too great. This is why I also tell people doing such mods on stock internals to not run at WOT (wide open throttle) for prolonged periods of time. Going down the drag strip is fine because it's only for a few seconds. Drivetrain components like axles, trans and clutch need to be minded as well. Doing hard launches while producing significantly more torque over stock is not good for anything and unnecessary, really. Launch soft, then roll into the boost. ;)

I should probably stop there or I'll keep going on and on. lol. Any other questions, shoot me a PM. :)

Damn. I'll link him your post so he has a better idea of what to expect

TEST ALL THE THINGS!!!

Buys a Fluke for 1,700kr.

Uses it test batteries.

Buys a Fluke for 1,700kr.

Uses it test batteries.

lol

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

Yup all my cars are! It is hard to sell them, I look back on my older cars like you might a lost pet.