Car Enthusiast Club [Now Motorcycle friendly!] - First thread to 150k! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

techswede
Go to solution Solved by techswede,
26 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Don't lump me in with them. I'm an enthusiast of mechanic design, be it engines, weaponry, or productive machinery. Not a guy with a wrench that reads the marketing garbage AFE/insert other "enthusiast" brand that can't legally warranty half of their products.

I fail to see a correlation between people screeching variations of "forced induction is more efficient!!! Reclaimed energy!!!" and anything I've said.

If you can't be civil. Please leave

Edit. That goes for everyone in the thread

Waiting on the boot for it I just ordered then it should be the new daily driver at work.

32153.jpeg

37 minutes ago, Bitter said:

Waiting on the boot for it I just ordered then it should be the new daily driver at work.

Still rockin the wilfukyee. Some of that stuff is going on 5 years old without any issue. One bad M12 battery so far.

5800X3D / ASUS X570 Dark Hero / 64GB 3600mhz / EVGA RTX 3090ti FTW3 Ultra / Dell S3422DWG / Razer Deathstalker v2 / Razer Basilisk v3 Pro / Sennheiser HD 600

2021 Razer Blade 14 3070 / iPhone 15 Pro Max

4 minutes ago, vetali said:

Still rockin the wilfukyee. Some of that stuff is going on 5 years old without any issue. One bad M12 battery so far.

Other than what seems to be an early build issue with the DCF921 sometimes freezing up on trigger pull, it's been an excellent little impact. I've had it since mid to late 2020, like it so much I replaced it with a 2nd DCF921 and I'll try to warranty the one with an intermittent issue. The 891 is just a more suitable impact for daily use and has more power for doing lugs and axle nuts and the like, the 921's tiny size is awesome and it has more power than you'd expect for the size.

Milwaukee has excellent tools also, but I ended up with DeWalt because of the 921 and it's very impressive power/size ratio.

Just crossed 160,000 miles on the Touareg. Got a bolt in a tire yesterday on a trip to Houston, TX. So much construction and traffic on the eastern Texas border! Texas is growing like crazy lol. Houston is nuts now, even compared to a few years ago.

I carry a full size spare on longer trips, if I can fit it. It's a 17" wheel from an older Touareg with the same Conti TerrainContact A/T tire I have.  I was carrying some servers for work, but glad I was able to fit it! Compact spares (especially the ones you have to inflate) are sketchy and borderline useless... Also I get concerned if the overall size is different if it'll explode your diff. Not ideal, lol.

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

Finally got my new tubeless wheels in. Which also meant it was good time to replace the sprockets, chain, and brake pads:

warp9tubeless6.jpg

Definitely changes the look of the bike:

warp9tubeless8.jpg

Before:

blackdrz3.jpg

It doesn't look like a dirt bike pretending to be a street bike...as much.

I'm going to be really mad if this cover still leaks....

PXL_20240526_205432679.thumb.jpg.1771be130c1c6dc4266bf5da7dcc5502.jpg

Now I need to change the master cylinder and proportioning valve. Pedal is still hard and only has maybe 1" of travel.

Vaporwave: 

AMD Ryzen 7 5800x3d / Powercolor Red Devil RX 7900 XT / Gigabyte B550 Vision D-P / Kingston fury beast 32GB / WD_Black SN770 1tb / Samsung  970 evo 1tb / Corsair RM850x / Cooler Master ML360 v2 / NZXT H9 Elite / Vizio m422i-B1  / Steelseries x Destiny 2 Arctis 1/ GMMK Pro+GMMK Num Akko Lavender/ Steelseries x Destiny 2 Rival 5

6 minutes ago, Bitter said:

It doesn't look like a dirt bike pretending to be a street bike...as much.

Supermotos are a ton of fun. I was on a group ride following some supermotos one time and coming up to a crest by a bridge where all of us on sport bikes have to slow down the supermotos sped up and jumped the crest. Right after that I was on the search for one. A day at the track on the supermoto literally costs me $10, I sign a waiver, and can run from sun up to sun down.  If I crash it, a complete set of body work is $140.

An older picture before it was painted:

gj13june2013_4.jpg

A track day for on my Yamaha, or any replacement panels (it adds up quickly)...

bupr610.jpg

15 minutes ago, Vonrottes said:

I'm going to be really mad if this cover still leaks....

I think its about time to admit it and start painting some of that under carriage, axle, etc.  Everything else looks a little out of place with the powder coated stuff.

10 minutes ago, OhioYJ said:

I think its about time to admit it and start painting some of that under carriage, axle, etc.  Everything else looks a little out of place with the powder coated stuff.

It's a work in progress 😂

The axle I'll take to get powder coated when I pull everything out to install a 4link kit from ride tech... I'd do it now but my blast cabinet and oven aren't that big.

Vaporwave: 

AMD Ryzen 7 5800x3d / Powercolor Red Devil RX 7900 XT / Gigabyte B550 Vision D-P / Kingston fury beast 32GB / WD_Black SN770 1tb / Samsung  970 evo 1tb / Corsair RM850x / Cooler Master ML360 v2 / NZXT H9 Elite / Vizio m422i-B1  / Steelseries x Destiny 2 Arctis 1/ GMMK Pro+GMMK Num Akko Lavender/ Steelseries x Destiny 2 Rival 5

9 minutes ago, Vonrottes said:

The axle I'll take to get powder coated

To fancy for me, haha. I used to just spray bomb everything under the Jeep, but these days I just brush or roll on some rustoleum to get on there fairly thick. It looks decent enough, but more importantly, it prevents rust.

warnskid7.jpg

I got some cans from Eastwood with some extension hoses, to get inside the frame rails once I finish welding to them. Of course, that's been on the list of things to do for a while now...

18 minutes ago, OhioYJ said:

To fancy for me, haha. I used to just spray bomb everything under the Jeep, but these days I just brush or roll on some rustoleum to get on there fairly thick. It looks decent enough, but more importantly, it prevents rust.

warnskid7.jpg

I got some cans from Eastwood with some extension hoses, to get inside the frame rails once I finish welding to them. Of course, that's been on the list of things to do for a while now...

That Eastwood internal frame coating is amazing, I used it on the front boxed section of my frame in 2018, it's held up to Ohio road salt just fine.. same goes for their rubberized rust encapsulator... Doesn't like antifreeze, oil or gas though.

Vaporwave: 

I ran a long 4 way fan nozzle on cans of Cosmoline through every cavity and crevice I could think of that might get rust on my new Mazda. Hopefully that'll help. As for undercoating, honestly not even joking, spray can Flex Seal is pretty awesome stuff, super durable and really tough, sticks great.

Going down the truck rabbit hole again.

Why are trucks priced to where it *almost* makes sense to just get a dually even though I don't need the dually? 1 ton diesel with a gooseneck is much harder to find in single rear wheel than it should be...

I'm not actually trying to be as grumpy as it seems.

I will find your mentions of Ikea or Gnome and I will /s post. 

Project Hot Box

CPU 13900k, Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX, RAM CORSAIR Vengeance 4x16gb 5200 MHZ, GPU Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity OC, Case Fractal Pop Air XL, Storage Sabrent Rocket Q4 2tbCORSAIR Force Series MP510 1920GB NVMe, CORSAIR FORCE Series MP510 960GB NVMe, PSU CORSAIR HX1000i, Cooling Corsair XC8 CPU block, Bykski GPU block, 360mm and 280mm radiator, Displays Odyssey G9, LG 34UC98-W 34-Inch,Keyboard Mountain Everest Max, Mouse Mountain Makalu 67, Sound AT2035, Massdrop 6xx headphones, Go XLR 

Oppbevaring

CPU i9-9900k, Motherboard, ASUS Rog Maximus Code XI, RAM, 48GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200 mhz (2x16)+(2x8) GPUs Asus ROG Strix 2070 8gb, PNY 1080, Nvidia 1080, Case Mining Frame, 2x Storage Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB, PSU Corsair RM1000x and RM850x, Cooling Asus Rog Ryuo 240 with Noctua NF-12 fans

Why is the 5800x so hot?

Pulled the intake off to fix an oil leak.... I thought it was the oil pressure sending unit... tightened it up maybe half a turn.

then I saw the bottom plate on the intake was soaked in oil... So went ahead and pulled that off, cleaned it applied some gasket maker and thread sealer to the bolts... Might have fixed as small vacuum leak, but IDK if it was or not, But oil no longer pools in the intake since I installed the catch can so hopefully never have to deal with oil leaking out of the intake again

PXL_20240530_183108215.thumb.jpg.5a3b88de5b33c3d36ec56e20215d21ef.jpg

planning on switching to corvette accessory drive and spacing soon so that will clean up the front of the engine a little, getting rid of the L99 water pump and GMT800 alt/PS bracket.  that switch is a whole $1,000...
while I have that all apart I'm, also looking at getting a CPW harness for it to clean up my shotty modified GMT800 wiring harness.

Vaporwave: 

You do the rear plate gasket, barbell, and rear main already?

i want a rivian

Did I help you?? Then please mark my answer as the solution!

2 hours ago, Bitter said:

You do the rear plate gasket, barbell, and rear main already?

Nein. They aren't leaking so I've left them alone... Though when I get a 6.0 I'll do that as preventative, the same I did when I built the L76 .

The old LM7 still pulls 19inhg  vacuum and 40psi of oil pressure at idle..

Vaporwave: 

17 hours ago, IkeaGnome said:

Going down the truck rabbit hole again.

Why are trucks priced to where it *almost* makes sense to just get a dually even though I don't need the dually? 1 ton diesel with a gooseneck is much harder to find in single rear wheel than it should be...

I don’t know. How much are new trucks anyway?

† 

In Flanders fields the poppies blow
Between the crosses, row on row,
    That mark our place; and in the sky
    The larks, still bravely singing, fly
Scarce heard amid the guns below.

We are the Dead. Short days ago
We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,
    Loved and were loved, and now we lie,
        In Flanders fields.

Take up our quarrel with the foe:
To you from failing hands we throw
    The torch; be yours to hold it high.
    If ye break faith with us who die
We shall not sleep, though poppies grow
        In Flanders fields.

Cry havoc and let slip the Togs of war.  (Signature V3)

If you want me to reply, tag me @Tog Driver, Or quote me.

The grace of the Lord Jesus Christ, and the love of God, and the communion of the Holy Spirit be with you all.
‭‭II Corinthians‬ ‭13:14

1 hour ago, Tog Driver said:

Too much. 

The Toyota Tacoma used to be a truck you could get between $20 and $30 K about ten years ago. Now they're starting mid 40's and are moderately equipped at $54k. Full sized trucks are now more in the $60-70K mark, with some "loaded" options breaching six digit figures.

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU AMD R7 7800X3D    Motherboard Asrock B650E Taichi Lite    RAM Corsair Vengeance RGB 32GB 5200mhz    GPU ASUS RTX4080 STRIX 

Case Fractal Torrent   Storage Samsung 980Pro 2TB, Crucial P3 Plus 4TB x2,     PSU Corsair RM1000x    Cooling Deepcool AK620

1 hour ago, Tog Driver said:

I’m not going new. That’s what makes it difficult to find a SRW truck with what I want. 

They’re way too much. 

Project Hot Box

CPU 13900k, Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX, RAM CORSAIR Vengeance 4x16gb 5200 MHZ, GPU Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity OC, Case Fractal Pop Air XL, Storage Sabrent Rocket Q4 2tbCORSAIR Force Series MP510 1920GB NVMe, CORSAIR FORCE Series MP510 960GB NVMe, PSU CORSAIR HX1000i, Cooling Corsair XC8 CPU block, Bykski GPU block, 360mm and 280mm radiator, Displays Odyssey G9, LG 34UC98-W 34-Inch,Keyboard Mountain Everest Max, Mouse Mountain Makalu 67, Sound AT2035, Massdrop 6xx headphones, Go XLR 

Oppbevaring

CPU i9-9900k, Motherboard, ASUS Rog Maximus Code XI, RAM, 48GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200 mhz (2x16)+(2x8) GPUs Asus ROG Strix 2070 8gb, PNY 1080, Nvidia 1080, Case Mining Frame, 2x Storage Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB, PSU Corsair RM1000x and RM850x, Cooling Asus Rog Ryuo 240 with Noctua NF-12 fans

Why is the 5800x so hot?

I'm still convinced the concept of a functional pickup truck you can live with every day peaked in the late 90s. Everything since has just gotten progressively more bloated and performatively aggressive.

image.jpeg.a7ab73cf992d0938129ab25acbb3c16e.jpeg

https://www.theautopian.com/why-general-motors-gmt400-truck-design-remains-legendary-30-years-later/

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

2 hours ago, Needfuldoer said:

I'm still convinced the concept of a functional pickup truck you can live with every day peaked in the late 90s. Everything since has just gotten progressively more bloated and performatively aggressive.

Spoiler

image.jpeg.a7ab73cf992d0938129ab25acbb3c16e.jpeg

https://www.theautopian.com/why-general-motors-gmt400-truck-design-remains-legendary-30-years-later/

GMT 400 my beloved.

† 

In Flanders fields the poppies blow
Between the crosses, row on row,
    That mark our place; and in the sky
    The larks, still bravely singing, fly
Scarce heard amid the guns below.

We are the Dead. Short days ago
We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,
    Loved and were loved, and now we lie,
        In Flanders fields.

Take up our quarrel with the foe:
To you from failing hands we throw
    The torch; be yours to hold it high.
    If ye break faith with us who die
We shall not sleep, though poppies grow
        In Flanders fields.

Cry havoc and let slip the Togs of war.  (Signature V3)

If you want me to reply, tag me @Tog Driver, Or quote me.

The grace of the Lord Jesus Christ, and the love of God, and the communion of the Holy Spirit be with you all.
‭‭II Corinthians‬ ‭13:14

2 hours ago, Needfuldoer said:

Agreed. I had a single cab short box with a 305 for a while in high school and that truck was just amazing.

Where I'm at though, my wife wants my F150. It doesn't make sense for us to both have the same size truck. I don't need a dually, but do need to be able to haul and tow. 

Spoiler

M76 Otter 13A305 at WAPR 2017 - a photo on Flickriver

There is at least one of these in my yard and later this month we're going on a recovery mission for my buddy's that spent winter out at moose camp. The m76 otter is lighter than it looks. It's somewhere around 5 tons as it's amphibious and floats, but once you start adding moose and other animals on top of that plus camping and hunting gear a tow behind becomes very impractical very quickly.

I don't need another dually. When I get my "new" truck, I'm bringing my late grandma's truck to Alaska. It's got the 454 so I don't want to spend the gas money to drive it up the AlCan. If we're generous and give it 8mpg, that's almost 300 gallons of gas to get through. At Canada prices, that's just dumb. Once you get out in rural Canada it gets very expensive very fast. So it'll get towed up. 

Spoiler

1992 GMC Sierra 3500 Extended cab dually SLE Gas 66k original miles

^Not hers, but same year, same model, same trim. Once up here it's going to get a diesel and live out it's life as a general purpose truck. 

Project Hot Box

Oppbevaring

Why is the 5800x so hot?

30 minutes ago, Tog Driver said:

GMT 400 my beloved.

Someday I want to LS swap either a single cab short bed or a 2-door Tahoe/Yukon (preferably with the '95-up interior). Right now my driveway's full with the daily and my old car that I can't bring myself to part with for irrational, sentimental reasons.

But someday.

(Then again that same limitation prevented me from building a 3400 Fiero... Probably would've been financial arson but it would've been cool.)

I sold my soul for ProSupport.