Car Enthusiast Club [Now Motorcycle friendly!] - First thread to 150k! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

techswede
Go to solution Solved by techswede,
26 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Don't lump me in with them. I'm an enthusiast of mechanic design, be it engines, weaponry, or productive machinery. Not a guy with a wrench that reads the marketing garbage AFE/insert other "enthusiast" brand that can't legally warranty half of their products.

I fail to see a correlation between people screeching variations of "forced induction is more efficient!!! Reclaimed energy!!!" and anything I've said.

If you can't be civil. Please leave

Edit. That goes for everyone in the thread

3 hours ago, AlwaysFSX said:

Ah but we don't care about that detail anymore, do we?

Nah not really. All that matters is that the person driving the car can see. 

It's just a competition now. Can't see? Well I guess you need to add more light and lift your truck a little higher

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

3 hours ago, AlwaysFSX said:

Why do they need to see if I can see?

CPU: R5 5800X3D Motherboard - MSI X570 Gaming Plus RAM - 32GB Corsair DDR4 GPU - XFX 7900 XTX 4GB Case - NZXT H5 Flow (White) Storage - 2X 4TB Samsung 990 Pro PSU - Corsair RM100E Cooling - Corsair H100i Elite Capellix Keyboard Corsair K70 (Brown Switches)  Mouse - Corsair Nightsword RGB

12 hours ago, bcredeur97 said:

you're likely blinding people tho regardless 😕 

5 hours ago, AlwaysFSX said:

No I take it very serious, otherwise I'd flip all of my switches along with the middle finger.

If you aren't familiar with projector headlights look it up. I replaced my reflector housings with projectors, they cut the beam off at the horizon. That's the only way I do high powered bulbs. My mustang has diy projectors and 75w HID xenon bulbs. While my third car has OEM powered bulbs because it has reflectors.

The blow out in the picture is glow from the drl

Open-Back - Sennheiser 6xx - Focal Elex - Phillips Fidelio X3 - Harmonicdyne Zeus -  Beyerdynamic DT1990 - *HiFi-man HE400i (2017) - *Phillips shp9500 - *SoundMAGIC HP200

Semi-Open - Beyerdynamic DT880-600 - Fostex T50RP - *AKG K240 studio

Closed-Back - Rode NTH-100 - Meze 99 Neo - AKG K361-BT - Blue Microphones Lola - *Beyerdynamic DT770-80 - *Meze 99 Noir - *Blon BL-B60 *Hifiman R7dx

On-Ear - Koss KPH30iCL Grado - Koss KPH30iCL Yaxi - Koss KPH40 Yaxi

IEM - Tin HiFi T2 - MoonDrop Quarks - Tangzu Wan'er S.G - Moondrop Chu - QKZ x HBB - 7HZ Salnotes Zero

Headset Turtle Beach Stealth 700 V2 + xbox adapter - *Sennheiser Game One - *Razer Kraken Pro V2

DAC S.M.S.L SU-9

Class-D dac/amp Topping DX7 - Schiit Fulla E - Fosi Q4 - *Sybasonic SD-DAC63116

Class-D amp Topping A70

Class-A amp Emotiva A-100 - Xduoo MT-602 (hybrid tube)

Pure Tube amp Darkvoice 336SE - Little dot MKII - Nobsound Little Bear P7

Audio Interface Rode AI-1

Portable Amp Xduoo XP2-pro - *Truthear SHIO - *Fiio BTR3K BTR3Kpro 

Mic Rode NT1 - *Antlion Mod Mic - *Neego Boom Mic - *Vmoda Boom Mic

Pads ZMF - Dekoni - Brainwavz - Shure - Yaxi - Grado - Wicked Cushions

Cables Hart Audio Cables - Periapt Audio Cables

Speakers Kef Q950 - Micca RB42 - Jamo S803 - Crown XLi1500 (power amp class A)

*given as gift or out of commission

17 minutes ago, Psittac said:

Your DRL runs at night?

2 hours ago, Bitter said:

Your DRL runs at night?

They're on any time the marker lights are on.

Open-Back - Sennheiser 6xx - Focal Elex - Phillips Fidelio X3 - Harmonicdyne Zeus -  Beyerdynamic DT1990 - *HiFi-man HE400i (2017) - *Phillips shp9500 - *SoundMAGIC HP200

Closed-Back - Rode NTH-100 - Meze 99 Neo - AKG K361-BT - Blue Microphones Lola - *Beyerdynamic DT770-80 - *Meze 99 Noir - *Blon BL-B60 *Hifiman R7dx

IEM - Tin HiFi T2 - MoonDrop Quarks - Tangzu Wan'er S.G - Moondrop Chu - QKZ x HBB - 7HZ Salnotes Zero

Headset Turtle Beach Stealth 700 V2 + xbox adapter - *Sennheiser Game One - *Razer Kraken Pro V2

DAC S.M.S.L SU-9

Class-D amp Topping A70

45 minutes ago, Psittac said:

They're on any time the marker lights are on.

What's DRL stand for? I forgot.

6 hours ago, bcredeur97 said:

Nah not really. All that matters is that the person driving the car can see. 

It's just a competition now. Can't see? Well I guess you need to add more light and lift your truck a little higher

I honestly hate new lights with a passion. They're blinding, have hard cutoffs instead of softer edges, glare in every fucking direction; they're not even better for you to see at night! My plain old yellow-white halogens do a far better job providing a safe light pattern for me and people around me than most modern lights do, which is kind of funny.

Edit, to add: Lights do not need to keep getting brighter to drive at 90mph in the middle of the night, you should adjust your speed accordingly and not out-drive your lights. This increase in brightness but shitty patterns/colors is pointless and creates more dangerous drivers. Also auto-high beams, dumb. So unbelievably dumb as fuck.

6 hours ago, RevoltTrain said:

Why do they need to see if I can see?

*lights up the world for everyone else*

4 hours ago, Psittac said:

Homie, your lights cast in every direction and blind other drivers as is. It is not your DRLs doing that. It's your projectors being flat out wrong.

Lmao

"an obvious supporter of privacy"

1 hour ago, Bitter said:

What's DRL stand for? I forgot.

Wow, you just like to nit pick and bicker.  Bet you make a lot of friends with that mentality

DAC S.M.S.L SU-9

Class-D amp Topping A70

47 minutes ago, AlwaysFSX said:

I honestly hate new lights with a passion. They're blinding, have hard cutoffs instead of softer edges, glare in every fucking direction; they're not even better for you to see at night! My plain old yellow-white halogens do a far better job providing a safe light pattern for me and people around me than most modern lights do, which is kind of funny.

Its just an arms race between OEMs at this point. Doesn't help that NHTSA now ranks headlights for top safety pick+.

5800X3D / ASUS X570 Dark Hero / 32GB 3600mhz / EVGA RTX 3090ti FTW3 Ultra / Dell S3422DWG / Logitech G815 / Logitech G502 / Sennheiser HD 599

2021 Razer Blade 14 3070 / S23 Ultra

55 minutes ago, Psittac said:

Wow, you just like to nit pick and bicker.  Bet you make a lot of friends with that mentality

I mean, what's my username? 🧐

Daytime running lights are for...shocker...daytime! I like not being glared to death at night by Bozo's and clowns. Projectors are fine, but you have to fix those DRL to be actually daytime only my dude. They're so bright can anyone even tell if your turn signals are on in the front? Real DRL turn off on the side that has turn signal on for that exact reason.

1 hour ago, vetali said:

Its just an arms race between OEMs at this point. Doesn't help that NHTSA now ranks headlights for top safety pick+.

Despite following no studies about what actually constitutes good properties for a headlight.

So.. weird..

43 minutes ago, AlwaysFSX said:

Despite following no studies about what actually constitutes good properties for a headlight.

So.. weird..

They have to follow some REALLY bad and outdated federal standards and guidelines. We'd all be better off if they would just adopt ECE lighting regs.

And for reference my old car started out with a D2S 1.o retrofit using some terrible Morimoto ballasts, eventually swapped up to some G5R running 50W F5 ballasts with clone fatboy 50W bulbs, then swapped down to 35W 85122's and just burned them at 50W, eventually I had a F5 ballast die so I swapped to a spare pair of F35 while I got a pair of potted Denso and then never looked back. Car was fully swapped to LED in every position, had a custom harness to dim the side markers so there was correct contrast between parking/marker light and turn signal brightness and so as to not blind everyone with bright yellow glare. 3rd brake light was a custom board with driver that put out about 400-500lm red/orange through the OE red fresnel filter and it was wicked bright. Reverse lights were about 500lm each finned heat sink LED's on a stalk, super good actually but a little green tinge. Car had quad brake/tail lights which are all 4 the old 'red rocket' style with 6x Cree XP G2 Red LED, 4 pointed into the reflector and 2 pointed straight out through a domed lens to 'replicate' a filament in the lamp. Everything was wicked bright in the car, even the dome light was a custom 120ma board in warm white Samsung emitters by a defunct guy known as SprengBoard.

16 hours ago, AlwaysFSX said:

Also auto-high beams, dumb. So unbelievably dumb as fuck.

Definitely agree with this. I'm just glad most OEMs still allow you turn this off and remember that you set it off, unlock other features that default to on... 

2 hours ago, OhioYJ said:

Definitely agree with this. I'm just glad most OEMs still allow you turn this off and remember that you set it off, unlock other features that default to on... 

On my new Mazda they're actually pretty good for oncoming and traffic ahead, they only time they fail is for traffic crossing at 90 degrees at a distance, but that's because the sensor can't see what it's looking for to say 'yep that's a vehicle'. Otherwise they've been very reliable, as fast or faster than I would be to turn off and on at the right times.

On 3/2/2024 at 9:05 PM, Bitter said:

They have to follow some REALLY bad and outdated federal standards and guidelines. We'd all be better off if they would just adopt ECE lighting regs.

On 3/2/2024 at 8:21 PM, AlwaysFSX said:

So.. weird..

I want to try those audi laser headlights that are banned here(still I think?) 

It's not worth $3k per housing, but it seemed like a great idea

But yeah, classic halogen bulbs were the best. I was totally fine with the bulbs my corolla had (and miata has). THe touareg has HID's and they are ok. Better than LED's for me. Not sure about other people. 

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

56 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

I want to try those audi laser headlights that are banned here(still I think?) 

It's not worth $3k per housing, but it seemed like a great idea

But yeah, classic halogen bulbs were the best. I was totally fine with the bulbs my corolla had (and miata has). THe touareg has HID's and they are ok. Better than LED's for me. Not sure about other people. 

Ah yes, let's spend more money and technology on a problem we solved ages ago.

The LED Matrix headlights look downright magical honestly. They can selectively darken areas of the beam to provide the best possible forward illumination without glaring oncoming traffic, pedestrians, and even not over lighting road signs. Neat stuff! Europe has had them for a while now on higher end vehicles and it works really well according to what I've seen and read.

Of course lightning will be moot when robots are driving us around, their eyes are infallible to the failings of needing visible light.

What would you guys recommend for someone wanting to get started learning how to fixing cars?

By reading this, you're entering a contract that says you have to visit my profile.

If you've never seen this one before, you'll love it.
And if you have, it's still worth another look.

The Smallest Car in the World | Top Gear - YouTube

"If you ever need anything please don't hesitate to ask someone else first"..... Nirvana
"Whadda ya mean I ain't kind? Just not your kind"..... Megadeth
Speaking of things being "All Inclusive", Hell itself is too.

Today the seat bolt fairy visited a customers Crown Vic over lunch so now they have all 4 bolts holding their seat down. I'm the seat bolt fairy. I'm getting better at welding nuts on broken bolts and studs.

14 hours ago, GoStormPlays said:

What would you guys recommend for someone wanting to get started learning how to fixing cars?

On your own? Youtube has some great channels.

As a profession? Do something else.

5800X3D / ASUS X570 Dark Hero / 32GB 3600mhz / EVGA RTX 3090ti FTW3 Ultra / Dell S3422DWG / Logitech G815 / Logitech G502 / Sennheiser HD 599

2021 Razer Blade 14 3070 / S23 Ultra

Great discussion about headlights, I prefer halogen too, but I'm staying out of this one.

Has anyone posted anything from the roadster shop?

Shira-Camaro-Photoshoot-017-1024x683.jpg

From: https://roadstershop.com/galleries/james-1967-camaro/#&gid=1&pid=216

: JRE #1914 Siddarth Kara

How bad is e-waste?  Listen to that Joe Rogan episode.

"Now you get what you want, but do you want more?
- Bob Marley, Rastaman Vibration album 1976

Windows 11 will just force business to "recycle" "obscolete" hardware.  Microsoft definitely isn't bothered by this at all, and seems to want hardware produced just a few years ago to be considered obsolete.  They have also not shown any interest nor has any other company in a similar financial position, to help increase tech recycling whatsoever.  Windows 12 might be cloud-based and be a monthly or yearly fee.

Software suggestions

Just get f.lux [Link removed due to forum rules] so your screen isn't bright white at night, a golden orange in place of stark 6500K bluish white.

released in 2008 and still being improved.

Dark Reader addon for webpages.  Pick any color you want for both background and text (background and foreground page elements).  Enable the preview mode on desktop for Firefox and Chrome addon, by clicking the dark reader addon settings, Choose dev tools amd click preview mode.

NoScript or EFF's privacy badger addons can block many scripts and websites that would load and track you, possibly halving page load time!

F-droid is a place to install open-source software for android, Antennapod, RethinkDNS, Fennec which is Firefox with about:config, lots of performance and other changes available, mozilla KB has a huge database of what most of the settings do.  Most software in the repository only requires Android 5 and 6!

I recommend firewall apps (blocks apps) and dns filters (redirect all dns requests on android, to your choice of dns, even if overridden).  RethinkDNS is my pick and I set it to use pi-hole, installed inside Ubuntu/Debian, which is inside Virtualbox, until I go to a website, nothing at all connects to any other server.  I also use NextDNS.io to do the same when away from home wi-fi or even cellular!  I can even tether from cellular to any device sharing via wi-fi, and block anything with dns set to NextDNS, regardless if the device allows changing dns.  This style of network filtration is being overridden by software updates on some devices, forcing a backup dns provuder, such as google dns, when built in dns requests are not connecting.  Without a complete firewall setup, dns redirection itself is no longer always effective.