Car Enthusiast Club [Now Motorcycle friendly!] - First thread to 150k! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

techswede
Go to solution Solved by techswede,
26 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Don't lump me in with them. I'm an enthusiast of mechanic design, be it engines, weaponry, or productive machinery. Not a guy with a wrench that reads the marketing garbage AFE/insert other "enthusiast" brand that can't legally warranty half of their products.

I fail to see a correlation between people screeching variations of "forced induction is more efficient!!! Reclaimed energy!!!" and anything I've said.

If you can't be civil. Please leave

Edit. That goes for everyone in the thread

3 hours ago, bcredeur97 said:

Hey ummm guys what do you do when the gas pump has a cylinder 4 misfire? 

Does the pump have the misfire, or can it tell your car has the misfire? 🤔

23 hours ago, RevoltTrain said:

Got her all done finally. Rides much much better than prior as well. Just in time as well, got a foot of snow last night after bringing her home

Screenshot_20240120-201929.png

Don't forget, just because you can go doesn't mean you can stop. I see more 4WD vehicles in the ditches than I see 2WD. So many people think 4WD/AWD makes them impervious to snow and ice.

I gave up and replaced the battery with another unit. I got the battery load tested and it creeped to 9v at 300amps. Battery was rated for 600CCA so I guess it was on its way out.

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

It's amazing what some cleaning and paint can do for looks.

Resized_20210609_174944(1).jpeg

20221009_102736.jpg

Gaming With a 4:3 CRT

System specs below

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5700X with a Noctua NH-U9S cooler 
Motherboard: Gigabyte B450 Aorus M (Because it was cheap)
RAM: 32GB (4 x 8GB) Corsair Vengance LPX 3200Mhz CL16
GPU: EVGA GTX 980 Ti SC Blower Card
HDD: 7200RPM TOSHIBA DT01ACA100 1TB, External HDD: 5400RPM 2TB WD My Passport
SSD: 1tb Samsung 970 evo m.2 nvme
PSU: Corsair CX650M
Displays: ViewSonic VA2012WB LCD 1680x1050p @ 75Hz
Gateway VX920 CRT: 1920x1440@65Hz, 1600x1200@75Hz, 1200x900@100Hz, 960x720@125Hz
Gateway VX900 CRT: 1920x1440@64Hz, 1600x1200@75Hz, 1200x900@100Hz, 960x720@120Hz (Can be pushed to 175Hz)

Keyboard: Thermaltake eSPORTS MEKA PRO with Cherry MX Red switches

I did a post a page or two ago about batteries.... And I'm about to put that knowledge to good use out of necessity.

Got a "Dead" cell in my pickup's battery and I'm going to fix it if it can be fixed at all.
All the other cells will bubble/boil with my charger on it but this one does exactly jack.

So.... When I do the work I'll post about the results.

Not every battery can be fixed but this one has a good chance of recovery since this has never been done to it before and it's not that old of a battery either, will take some time but if it works it will be cheaper than just buying a new one.

I've got more time than money anyway so.... Why not?

"If you ever need anything please don't hesitate to ask someone else first"..... Nirvana
"Whadda ya mean I ain't kind? Just not your kind"..... Megadeth
Speaking of things being "All Inclusive", Hell itself is too.

13 hours ago, Beerzerker said:

I did a post a page or two ago about batteries.... And I'm about to put that knowledge to good use out of necessity.

Got a "Dead" cell in my pickup's battery and I'm going to fix it if it can be fixed at all.
All the other cells will bubble/boil with my charger on it but this one does exactly jack.

So.... When I do the work I'll post about the results.

Not every battery can be fixed but this one has a good chance of recovery since this has never been done to it before and it's not that old of a battery either, will take some time but if it works it will be cheaper than just buying a new one.

I've got more time than money anyway so.... Why not?

Epsom salt?

On 1/22/2024 at 11:28 AM, Bitter said:

Don't forget, just because you can go doesn't mean you can stop. I see more 4WD vehicles in the ditches than I see 2WD. So many people think 4WD/AWD makes them impervious to snow and ice.

Did some brake upgrades a few months prior. Front brakes are from an Aviator now, and pads and rotors all around are Power stop Z36. Stops great for what it is, wanted to do that prior since I've got a lot more rotational weight with the larger wheel and tire package 

CPU: R5 5800X3D Motherboard - MSI X570 Gaming Plus RAM - 32GB Corsair DDR4 GPU - XFX 7900 XTX 4GB Case - NZXT H5 Flow (White) Storage - 2X 4TB Samsung 990 Pro PSU - Corsair RM100E Cooling - Corsair H100i Elite Capellix Keyboard Corsair K70 (Brown Switches)  Mouse - Corsair Nightsword RGB

4 hours ago, RevoltTrain said:

Did some brake upgrades a few months prior. Front brakes are from an Aviator now, and pads and rotors all around are Power stop Z36. Stops great for what it is, wanted to do that prior since I've got a lot more rotational weight with the larger wheel and tire package 

The limiting factor in snow and ice isn't your brakes or 4WD, it's the traction between the tire and road or lack of road in the case of snow and ice. It's too easy to get overconfident then come to a corner that's snow over ice and whoops we're off roading now I guess.

7 hours ago, Bitter said:

Epsom salt?

That's part of it. 😉

"If you ever need anything please don't hesitate to ask someone else first"..... Nirvana

2 hours ago, Beerzerker said:

That's part of it. 😉

And a welder?

29 minutes ago, Bitter said:

And a welder?

Nope.
No welder required for the way I'm doing it.

If I had one I'd try that before doing the procedure I'm going to use because a welder can boil the battery and make sulfation buildup break loose but there is still a potential issue to address here. 

So.....  Since I don't have a welder, instead I'm going to give it a good "Cleaning" that will actually remove it from the cell and also clean out the other cells before trouble starts with those. 

If the battery can be saved, this will help promote longer life for it too due to the sulfation buildup in it's cells being removed instead of it still being there.

4 hours ago, Bitter said:

The limiting factor in snow and ice isn't your brakes or 4WD, it's the traction between the tire and road or lack of road in the case of snow and ice. It's too easy to get overconfident then come to a corner that's snow over ice and whoops we're off roading now I guess.

Which is exactly why I went for a tire that is severe snow rated. Gave myself every mechanical advantage possible

CPU: R5 5800X3D Motherboard - MSI X570 Gaming Plus RAM - 32GB Corsair DDR4 GPU - XFX 7900 XTX 4GB Case - NZXT H5 Flow (White) Storage - 2X 4TB Samsung 990 Pro PSU - Corsair RM100E Cooling - Corsair H100i Elite Capellix Keyboard Corsair K70 (Brown Switches)  Mouse - Corsair Nightsword RGB

I envy the guys in North America.

Living in France, and wanting to replace my F30 328i, I need to add 60k euros of pollution taxes. I wanted that Dark Horse or M3 ...

Oh, and the GR86 is 95k now LOL

On 1/30/2024 at 2:38 AM, tankyx said:

Living in France, and wanting to replace my F30 328i, I need to add 60k euros of pollution taxes. I wanted that Dark Horse or M3 ...

I’m sorry, what? 

95k euros for an 86? That’s…. Insane 

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

On 1/30/2024 at 2:38 AM, tankyx said:

What? How do you afford a car if there’s double its value in environmental fees? So a Corolla or similar costs 50k euros or something when it’s all done? Does everyone just drive a half-century-old Peugeot? It’s been like 25 years since I’ve visited France, I wasn’t very car-aware at that time either, but I don’t remember everyone driving a Citroen 2CV.

My Current Setup:

AMD Ryzen 5900X

Kingston HyperX Fury 3200mhz 2x16GB

MSI B450 Gaming Plus

Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo

EVGA RTX 3060 Ti XC

Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB

WD 5400RPM 2TB

EVGA G3 750W

Corsair Carbide 300R

Arctic Fans 140mm x4 120mm x 1

Car related - To an extent.
Check this out, it's really cool.

This Mini V8-Powered Drill Sounds Like a Corvette In the Palm of Your Hand

2020 CR-V Hybrid with a very blown head gasket. 90k miles.

image.png.95dc081c89fd3ed57a2ad4464360ea65.png

image.png.42cab2f3f6035801e1caf02b657f05e2.png

5800X3D / ASUS X570 Dark Hero / 32GB 3600mhz / EVGA RTX 3090ti FTW3 Ultra / Dell S3422DWG / Logitech G815 / Logitech G502 / Sennheiser HD 599

2021 Razer Blade 14 3070 / S23 Ultra

14 minutes ago, vetali said:

2020 CR-V Hybrid with a very blown head gasket. 90k miles.

Was it overheated prior to this? is the deck/head scorched?

We're doing a Jasper warranty for an overheating 5.7 Hemi that's burning and mixing coolant. They melted the intake manifold, whoopsies.

1 minute ago, Bitter said:

Was it overheated prior to this? is the deck/head scorched?

We're doing a Jasper warranty for an overheating 5.7 Hemi that's burning and mixing coolant. They melted the intake manifold, whoopsies.

No idea, doesn't have a temp gauge, was replaced by the battery charge level gauge in hybrids. Just an engine temp hot warning in the driver information display. That was the customer complaint. No codes so no freeze data to see how hot it got. If its like the 1.5ts that are blowing head gaskets its just the gasket normally.

5800X3D / ASUS X570 Dark Hero / 32GB 3600mhz / EVGA RTX 3090ti FTW3 Ultra / Dell S3422DWG / Logitech G815 / Logitech G502 / Sennheiser HD 599

41 minutes ago, vetali said:

No idea, doesn't have a temp gauge, was replaced by the battery charge level gauge in hybrids. Just an engine temp hot warning in the driver information display. That was the customer complaint. No codes so no freeze data to see how hot it got. If its like the 1.5ts that are blowing head gaskets its just the gasket normally.

Lovely.

26 minutes ago, Bitter said:

Lovely.

Its unlike any Honda I've worked on. Adjustable valves on the intake with VTEC, and an electronically controlled VCT actuator. Then hydraulic roller followers on the exhaust. Water cooled EGR, and the oil pump is in the timing cover. First major repair on one of these.

1 minute ago, vetali said:

Its unlike any Honda I've worked on. Adjustable valves on the intake with VTEC, and an electronically controlled VCT actuator. Then hydraulic roller followers on the exhaust. Water cooled EGR, and the oil pump is in the timing cover. First major repair on one of these.

Did they poach some BMW engineers?

From the pic you posted, looks to me it blew the gasket right in the middle, between cylinders 2 and 3.
Typical hotspot anyway and there are many designs with that weakness due to what amounts to inadequate coolant to that area. It looks to be like it's similar to a SB Chevy 400 with siamesed cylinder sleeves.

4 minutes ago, Bitter said:

Did they poach some BMW engineers?

Almost would rather work on a BMW. Getting the PCU out of its alignment studs was thrilling. Forgot the pic

image.thumb.png.22154cbf4a653ac6736f9df6baf3c01e.png

9 hours ago, vetali said:

the no temp gauge thing honda does in some of their cars is not their brightest idea

I guess i'd understand if the car went into limp mode at the same time to maybe alert the driver "hey, you should probably stop this thing" but I don't think they do

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1