Is this a ripoff - Ebay Arduino Kit

6 minutes ago, r4tch3t said:

yes, it's just electronics are ridiculously cheap in China

Yes, as in the components are worth the price?

8 minutes ago, WindowsXP16 said:

Yes

Computer engineering grad student, cybersecurity researcher, and hobbyist embedded systems developer

Daily Driver:

CPU: Ryzen 7 4800H | GPU: RTX 2060 | RAM: 16GB DDR4 3200MHz C16

Gaming PC:

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600X | GPU: EVGA RTX 2080Ti | RAM: 32GB DDR4 3200MHz C16

5 minutes ago, WindowsXP16 said:

The problem is there's a lot a counterfeit parts coming from china, especially ebay. I don't see a problem for passive components but I would not trust those actives one bit.

Some examples:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R2J5xrSiNrI

http://www.righto.com/2017/08/inside-fake-ram-chip-i-found-something.html

3 minutes ago, Unimportant said:

The problem is there's a lot a counterfeit parts coming from china, especially ebay. I don't see a problem for passive components but I would not trust those actives one bit.

Some examples:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R2J5xrSiNrI

http://www.righto.com/2017/08/inside-fake-ram-chip-i-found-something.html

The eBay listing does seem to be honest about their board being an Arduino compatible clone, well I guess if the parts are worth the price assuming an average of $0.35 per piece included, in 192 parts in the listing, I might go for it. I'm not too concern for the quality of parts, as long as it works, but for $65, I had to double make sure the components would be that much.

I will see if anybody has any experiences with Arduino clones.

7 minutes ago, WindowsXP16 said:

The eBay listing does seem to be honest about their board being an Arduino compatible clone, well I guess if the parts are worth the price assuming an average of $0.35 per piece included, in 192 parts in the listing, I might go for it. I'm not too concern for the quality of parts, as long as it works, but for $65, I had to double make sure the components would be that much.

I will see if anybody has any experiences with Arduino clones.

I'd say you are getting your money's worth of components but if this is your first step into arduino it may be of better value for you to get a cheaper more basic kit to start playing around with the basics, learning the skills you need to successfully complete bigger projects in the future and then just ordering those parts required for what you want to create.

So far as arduino "clones" go, there isn't really any such thing. The arduino project is open source hardware and software so while the very cheap boards can have issues and are best left alone buying from China shouldn't cause problems as they are built to the same hardware specs as the official "Genuino" boards. Buying from the arduino foundation simply helps to fund the work they do with education e.c.t 

9 hours ago, Daysy said:

I'd say you are getting your money's worth of components but if this is your first step into arduino it may be of better value for you to get a cheaper more basic kit to start playing around with the basics, learning the skills you need to successfully complete bigger projects in the future and then just ordering those parts required for what you want to create.

So far as arduino "clones" go, there isn't really any such thing. The arduino project is open source hardware and software so while the very cheap boards can have issues and are best left alone buying from China shouldn't cause problems as they are built to the same hardware specs as the official "Genuino" boards. Buying from the arduino foundation simply helps to fund the work they do with education e.c.t 

It's only a "clone" if it have Arduino/Genuino on it. It's a trademarked name.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. 
It matters that you don't just give up.”

-Stephen Hawking

11 hours ago, Daysy said:

I guess that might be the better option starting off small, it just looked like a good deal as it had so many components to play around with, originally my plan was to get an Arduino to create a HID keyboard using that as the controller, but before doing so I figured I needed to get familiar with the Arduino, hence the kit.

I know the Arduino isn't the ideal controller board for a keyboard, but this is for a school project that I'm working on.

I mean the seller and product both have excellent feedback/reviews, and eBay's buyer protection is typically top-notch. I'd go for it.

AMD Ryzen 5 3600 | Corsair H100i Pro | ASRock X570 Phantom Gaming 4 | Corsair Vengeance 32GB 2x16gb @ 3200mhz  | Vega 64 @ Stock | Fractal Design Define R4 | Corsair RM750

ThinkPad T480 | Intel Core i7 8650u | Nvidia MX150 | 32GB DDR4 @ 2400mhz | Samsung 840 Pro 1tb | 1080p touchscreen

3 hours ago, WindowsXP16 said:

I guess that might be the better option starting off small, it just looked like a good deal as it had so many components to play around with, originally my plan was to get an Arduino to create a HID keyboard using that as the controller, but before doing so I figured I needed to get familiar with the Arduino, hence the kit.

I know the Arduino isn't the ideal controller board for a keyboard, but this is for a school project that I'm working on.

The kit will be great if you just want to play around with lots of components to see what they do.

And I think there are a few arduino powered HID projects out there so you should be all good

the components itself are probably much cheaper but the big difference is that you are getting a selection of many different components that can be used to various projects.

you can buy everything you get in the kit for less money if you buy it individually but you will not find offers for a single resistor or diode at a competitive price so you would have to buy like 200 resistors in a kit and suddenly you have a shit ton of parts at home.

this is not bad but its just something to consider, price per item can be lower but you will end up with much more parts.

• 1 month later...

Just a data point.

I've found the seller, Lee to be honest, reliable and the kits are of reasonable standard - I've put 40 of them in a school.

Delivery time for these kits is quick - as the eBay listing says, they're held in Regent's Park, Sydney - 2 days.

Highly, highly recommend. (and no, not a paid ad or any commercial affiliation. Just a satisfied customer.)