BLACK SCREEN GPU FANS AT FULL SPEED CRASH [FIXED]

Just registered to thank the OP and others who have shared info.

I had the same symptoms. Black screen, loss of video signal, fans going to 100%. The only way to restart computer is to hold down power button for a while. The reset button didn't work.

I was monitoring my gpu temperature but it wasn't overheating according to gpu-z/hwinfo but while gaming my gpu fan was running at 100%. I repasted and was able to play longer without crashes I have a feeling this fixed the issue because now while gaming the gpu fan is running much slower. I have a msi rx580 gaming x 8gb bought in April 2017. Attached pictures before replacing the thermal paste.

IMG_20201001_111103.jpg

IMG_20201001_111112.jpg

seems like everyone with a MSI card had this problem, dont let this thread die ❤️ thanks a lot for making this thread OP! thanks everyone again to put in this much info here!

Yeah that draw my attention as well, seems like it's common in msi cards. Also I didn't have this problem when I first got the card. It seems over time the thermal paste got pushed off the die and onto the PCB. In my case 2 corners of the die almost didn't have any paste at all.

I got a used asus 1060 3gb and im having the same issue, I will try to do the thermal paste removal tomorrow and then I will update on here whether it works or not. I was able to play far cry 5 in 1440P medium/low settings no problem, then I go into phasmophobia and it crashes multiple times, it doesnt seem to be running hot.

Many thanks to the OP as this has solved my problem. As many before me I registered here just to reply on this thread and keep it alive so it can help others.

I had a MSI GTX 760 back in the day and used it for around 2 years with no problem, and then it started to give me this black screen and fans at full speed problem every once in a while. The frequency of this issue was also increasing to the point where I couldn't open any game for more than 20 minutes. I searched everywhere at the time (around 2017), but didn't find anyone who had this same issue, so I decided to buy another card and went with a Asus GTX 1060.

The Asus card also worked fine for over a year, but a couple weeks ago it started with the same problem once again. I decided to search for answers yet another time and I finally found this thread with a simple solution that I had never thought of in the first place... I also was pretty scared of opening up my GPU, but it turned out to be pretty simple. When I opened the card I saw that the thermal paste was dry, so I replaced it and also removed some dust and so far it's doing really good.

I'm glad this thread is helping so many people like me! dont let this thread die and i hope it reaches many oppressed gamers

On 10/3/2020 at 10:11 PM, Rothhaus said:

I got a used asus 1060 3gb and im having the same issue, I will try to do the thermal paste removal tomorrow and then I will update on here whether it works or not. I was able to play far cry 5 in 1440P medium/low settings no problem, then I go into phasmophobia and it crashes multiple times, it doesnt seem to be running hot.

So changing the thermal paste and gpu cable seems to have worked, I haven’t had a single crash nor has the gpu spun at 100% with no display since.  

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/19/2018 at 4:38 PM, mack_50cal said:

I FIGURED IT OUT!!! I have been dealing with this for over 9 months with a BRAND NEW system I built following all of Linus Tech Tips videos. The system would just randomly crash from loading a game, all the way to being in the middle of a game and it crashes. I wasn't even playing graphically intensive games either! I had heard that it could be GPU, CPU, Motherboard, PSU, ... etc. I double checked everything in my PC... and I mean everything. I was 100% sure the GPU was fried and it was too late to return it. I had to swallow the pill of buying a new card in the middle of this bitcoin crap at the super high prices! It was about 2am my time and I was going to order the new card the next day when I decided to look for a fix. One. Last. Time. I found a very old thread, link below, that a guy was having the same issues. He did the exact same things I did and then some. He finally resorted to pulling the graphics card and taking apart and looking at it to see if there was anything noticeable. That's where the problem was!!!! The CHEAP way some of these cards are made, was causing this issue. More specifically, there was little to no thermal compound on the actual GPU, it was all on the board on the side of it. He cleaned it off, put it back together, and ..... Viola!! It ran fine! I did the same thing, also with the help of some of Linus' videos, and it fixed mine as well!! Just to note I'm running a Red Devil Radeon RX 480, so this is not a cheap card but also not a super high end card either. Hope this helps somebody save a little bit of money and not throw out their card when its just poor assembly. All credit goes to the guy that started the post in the link, without him I would not have figured it out.

https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/660409/screen-goes-black-and-gpu-fan-goes-to-max-speed-monitor-enters-powersaving-mode/

I just had to create an account in order to thank you for this. I have an Msi Gaming X RX580 8GB for almost 2 years now. I've been having this problem too for a few weeks now. I can't just enjoy any of my triple A games because whenever the gpu usage runs above 70ish, the very same issues most of the people here are having. It is fixed now. Thank you once again. (Attached is the picture before I replaced the thermal paste. That is factory pasted thermal paste.) 

IMG_20201019_161036.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/19/2018 at 5:38 AM, mack_50cal said:

I FIGURED IT OUT!!! I have been dealing with this for over 9 months with a BRAND NEW system I built following all of Linus Tech Tips videos. The system would just randomly crash from loading a game, all the way to being in the middle of a game and it crashes. I wasn't even playing graphically intensive games either! I had heard that it could be GPU, CPU, Motherboard, PSU, ... etc. I double checked everything in my PC... and I mean everything. I was 100% sure the GPU was fried and it was too late to return it. I had to swallow the pill of buying a new card in the middle of this bitcoin crap at the super high prices! It was about 2am my time and I was going to order the new card the next day when I decided to look for a fix. One. Last. Time. I found a very old thread, link below, that a guy was having the same issues. He did the exact same things I did and then some. He finally resorted to pulling the graphics card and taking apart and looking at it to see if there was anything noticeable. That's where the problem was!!!! The CHEAP way some of these cards are made, was causing this issue. More specifically, there was little to no thermal compound on the actual GPU, it was all on the board on the side of it. He cleaned it off, put it back together, and ..... Viola!! It ran fine! I did the same thing, also with the help of some of Linus' videos, and it fixed mine as well!! Just to note I'm running a Red Devil Radeon RX 480, so this is not a cheap card but also not a super high end card either. Hope this helps somebody save a little bit of money and not throw out their card when its just poor assembly. All credit goes to the guy that started the post in the link, without him I would not have figured it out.

https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/660409/screen-goes-black-and-gpu-fan-goes-to-max-speed-monitor-enters-powersaving-mode/

T H A N K         Y O U  

YOU HELP ME A LOOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2020 Thanks for this dude you save my 1080Ti <3 keepsafe

I registered an account just to thank OP and any future people that might have this same problem as I did.

I was at my wits ends, I had tried everything except this, because I was hesitant to disassemble the card. Finally went ahead and did it and the card runs like new. I have had 0 crashes since.

Thanks so much.

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you , it worked for me , manage to reduce the temp back to baseline around 35-40 celcius  in idle .

Before i change the thermal paste it was around 50-60celcius. 

As this is a refurbished GPU , i suspect the previous user was using a cheap thermal paste . 

Thank you so much 

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you!!

I was having this black screen crashing issue for like a month with my rx580 msi gamingX, I was checking temps and as i was only seeing temps around 75 celcius max i thought it wasnt a temp problem. Seeing this post and all of the responses made me open my graphics card and check the thermal paste (previously i tried old drivers, ddu, one monitor, etc and non of them worked) and i saw that the thermal paste was really dry and it wasnt too much. I decided to change it with a thermal paste i had laying around (no brand, i have to get one of the good ones soon!) and it worked!!! 

This problem only happened while playing games like destiny 2 or borderlands 3 and i thought it was a power supply issue or graphics card issue... i was about to give up on this but i saw this post and it really works! I was getting around 75 fps on low in borderlands 3 and now i get about 115! that thermal paste was obviously the issue! 

I noticed also that this happened right in a section while loading borderlands 3, now in that section my temps jump from around 50 to 70 in less than a  second, so i would assume that this problem is caused because in those points the thermal paste preapplied cant handle the heat and it just turns off the pc.

If you haven't tried this yet, i suggest you doing it. I know the temps on HWmonitor might seem right but you can give it a try.

Again, thank you all for your posts! im attaching a photo of the die before i changed its thermal paste just so you can see how badly it can be from the factory.

127278218_989104751577380_6620674371719032746_n.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

HI! Recently I purchased a GTX 1060 3GB and EXP GDC the Beast to use it with my laptop. I managed to connect and install all drivers as needed(In the process I disabled My integrated graphics). However when I try to use it at it's fullest capability, My external 32 Inch Display loses signal without any sign of reconnection (Mostly happens when trying to use the benchmark software) then after forcefully restarting the laptop everything goes back to normal.

SPECS:-

Laptop Model: Toshiba Satellite C850-B883
Processor: Intel Core i3- 3120M 2.5 GHz

RAM: 6 GB
Integrated GPU: Intel HD 4000
Storage: 240 GB Kingston SSD

So please tell me possible solution and origin of this problem so I can fix it ASAP.

Thank you for reading!

• 4 weeks later...
On 9/6/2018 at 4:21 AM, Noktr said:

Just a sidenote: my card wasn't really overheating aswell, but OP's solution has worked for me anyway. I didn't notice my card going over it's target temps (which I think are 75 celcius degrees or something close to that) back when I was having blackscreens, but I cleaned it's old thermal paste off and applied the new one I bought and now the problem is gone.

I wonder what the issue was then if its not actually overheating. Is it possible maybe areas with less thermal paste overheat but the thermometers are in other areas? Because if it was overheating wouldnt it just throttle? Im confused why this solves the issue. Im having the same issue but id want to see if i could try other things to solve my issue before i take apart my gpu; especially if i dont know how the solution is even supposed to work. I think ill try some of the other things on OPs thread they posted first anyway. But, if someone can explain this to me id like to know out of curiosity and i want to be sure it will be a solution that likely works for me if im going to go out of my way to do it.

Hey it seems a lot of people here have an MSI card and it just so happens i do to which makes me feel good that if i end up trying this it will likely be the solution. I have to get thermal paste though first but whatever : /

@Mixup221 My card wasn't reporting overheating in hwinfo or gpuz but it was still crashing the whole system. After repasting temps and fan speed dropt considerably.

So maybe the temps reported are wrong or the some of the die is overheating which isn't reported.

On 1/9/2021 at 9:18 PM, finglor said:

@Mixup221 My card wasn't reporting overheating in hwinfo or gpuz but it was still crashing the whole system. After repasting temps and fan speed dropt considerably.

So maybe the temps reported are wrong or the some of the die is overheating which isn't reported.

Yep i just got new paste and tried it the other day and havent had a crash since so im glad i found this. I also have MSI gpu (2070 super (ventus?)) btw so i think this might be a common issue with MSI? I noticed some silver peeking through but didnt get any photos but it looked a lot like @kenjirou2684669s picture.

• 2 weeks later...

I just noticed this thread and I'm having similar issues. But, my gpu hasn't passed the 1 year mark to consider a thermal paste change. Wondering if it's my psu. . . 

It's been a few months now since I bought a used rx 460 2gb oc gigabyte and since then I was having random Radeon Software crashes here and there.

I've had tried underclock, undervoltage, many many radeon softwares and drivers and even though underclocking from 1212 to 1090 solved my problem for 2 weeks, today I got this problem for the first time, where the screen went black while I was gaming and the fans went 100%.

That never happened before and I got concerned, since temperatures never went above 75 celsius before.

I always had in mind it could have been temperatures spikes, because my temperatures would go bery fast from 35 celsius (idle) to 65 (with a game starting), but I never thought it was the thermal paste,because temperatures were never THAT high.

So today i ended up here and, oh boy, I'm glad I did. THIS solved my problem, I am still perplexed of how well it is performing now in stock clocks. I was to the point of blaming my mobo for not been able of handling the power (since the 460 is supplied by the pcie, not directly from the psu).

Right as I opened the gpu, I noticed how weirdly lossen the bolts were and then, once i got the heat sink off, how badly applied the thermal paste was, the heat sink came out so easily...

Then, after cleaning and new thermal paste applied, my temperatures barely goes up 63 celsius and it is running flawless.

THANK YOU VERY MUCH for this, YOU'RE A LEGEND!

IMG-20210130-WA0014.jpeg

20210130_221255.jpg

On 10/3/2020 at 8:06 AM, MrPoopykuns said:

seems like everyone with a MSI card had this problem, dont let this thread die ❤️ thanks a lot for making this thread OP! thanks everyone again to put in this much info here!

I gotta say the two msi gaming x cards I had ran incredibly cool, incredibly silent... I think they're just cheaping out on their like 10-30 bucks cheaper versions... which would be really scummy... I have also decided to not buy any msi products anymore because of their business tactics which I don't support going forward (I have a very long list of "do not buy" companies and it served me well, but msi is only the second in the computer parts supplier category, after nzxt who was the first on that list!) 

2 hours ago, alissonwk said:

It's been a few months now since I bought a used rx 460

Tbh, to be *totally* honest... that paste job looks kind of OK (although I cannot know what those pics actually show, I'm referring to the first) I think the paste was just old and probably never of the best quality... 

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

It was just weird how easily the heat sink came off, it was like the paste never actually touched it.

You know when you pull out the heat sink from the cpu and you have to wiggle it a little before pulling it out? That did not happened at all. Probably because of how loosen the bolts were, idk.

As soon I applied the new paste, the chip and the heat sink glued together instantly!

But yeah, it could be a old paste or a not great one.

Oh well, I guess that didnt fixed my problem for long, radeon is crashing again. Back to 1090mhz and blame my mobo once again.

Hi, 

I am experiencing same issue atm.. When I try to turn the pc ON my screen is black, gpu spins 100% speed and before this happened it just randomly crashed (I was just watching youtube videos).

I tried changing GPU and CPU thermal paste. After I changed both of them PC worked for 30 mins and crashed again. Now I am sitting with the same issue Black screen GPU 100% speed.

Any suggestions what should I replace first?

My Pc Set Up is:

ASUS PRIME B450M-A Micro ATX

EVGA 500W1

AMD Ryzen 5 2600

MSI AMD RX 580 ARMOR 8GB

Corsair 2X4GB DDR4

Kind Regards,

KC

23 hours ago, kleenchef said:

Hi, 

I am experiencing same issue atm.. When I try to turn the pc ON my screen is black, gpu spins 100% speed and before this happened it just randomly crashed (I was just watching youtube videos).

I tried changing GPU and CPU thermal paste. After I changed both of them PC worked for 30 mins and crashed again. Now I am sitting with the same issue Black screen GPU 100% speed.

Any suggestions what should I replace first?

My Pc Set Up is:

ASUS PRIME B450M-A Micro ATX

EVGA 500W1

AMD Ryzen 5 2600

MSI AMD RX 580 ARMOR 8GB

Corsair 2X4GB DDR4

Kind Regards,

KC

Did you try changing gpu's clock? Mine is working fine underclocked. Since it is an overclock edition, I underclocked it to a stock clock.

Temps arent spiking anymore tho, changing thermal paste did something at least.