BLACK SCREEN GPU FANS AT FULL SPEED CRASH [FIXED]

So. Guys, i´m having the same issue here on my build:

GTX 1080 TI

I7 7700K

32 GB RAM 3100 MHZ

600 W EVGA WHITE

H45I CORSAIR WATER COOLER

My screen goes black, my pc keeps running on background and my gpu fans go wildly fast. I just switched my thermal paste on my gpu but the problem keeps hapening again. Could it be my PSU or maybe my MoBo? i tried everything GPU related, even tested it on my friend´s PC and it works just fine. Dont know what else to do other than changing my PSU. I even measured my outlet´s Volt output and it´s at 129V. Please help 😞

Having the same issue with my ASUS GTX 1080 Ti. Black screen, loud fans, computer still alive but only thing I can do is forced shutdown. Have done DDU multiple times to no avail. Will be replacing my thermal paste once it arrives here and maybe the PSU if it still doesn't fix the issue. I'll try to update then after some few months.

On 3/17/2021 at 4:32 PM, mistdagger said:

Having the same issue with my ASUS GTX 1080 Ti. Black screen, loud fans, computer still alive but only thing I can do is forced shutdown. Have done DDU multiple times to no avail. Will be replacing my thermal paste once it arrives here and maybe the PSU if it still doesn't fix the issue. I'll try to update then after some few months.

UPDATE: As suspected, the thermal paste looks bad. Cleaned and replaced it with Noctua HT-N1. So far, so good. Only crashed once during the first boot. I'm thinking the thermal paste hadn't settled yet at that point which caused the crash. Tested it with hours of Unigine Superposition and multiple games that have constantly crashed before. Will be testing it with benchmarks for a week and then use normally after. Will give another update after a few months or if the issue comes back.

Replacing my gpu's thermal paste is probably the best upgrade so far!

Not only did doing so stop the black screen issue on my strix rx580, it also brought the temps down from 85c to a cool 65c.

Thanks op!

I think this was exactly my problem!

first I got a pink screen and everything locked till I restarted the PC.

next time a white screen and the PC locked again.

the next time two times monitor goes to power saving mode and graphics card fan goes turbo.

I checked the thermal paste like OP said and there it is! not thermal paste at all lol so happy I found this thread

IMG_20210322_245316567.jpg

Hi everyone,

I was able to buy a RX6800 XT gaming X trio. Everything was going well until today. Playing CSGO, black screen and 100% fans like 7 times in a row. (I just decided not playing more, afraid of damaging the card)

Card only has a month and sincerely I am not sure wanting to open it and trying to change the thermal paste myself, due to how expensive it is. I am considering trying to ask MSI for warranty...

What do you guys think? Can someone help me?

On 2/19/2018 at 9:38 AM, mack_50cal said:

I FIGURED IT OUT!!! I have been dealing with this for over 9 months with a BRAND NEW system I built following all of Linus Tech Tips videos. The system would just randomly crash from loading a game, all the way to being in the middle of a game and it crashes. I wasn't even playing graphically intensive games either! I had heard that it could be GPU, CPU, Motherboard, PSU, ... etc. I double checked everything in my PC... and I mean everything. I was 100% sure the GPU was fried and it was too late to return it. I had to swallow the pill of buying a new card in the middle of this bitcoin crap at the super high prices! It was about 2am my time and I was going to order the new card the next day when I decided to look for a fix. One. Last. Time. I found a very old thread, link below, that a guy was having the same issues. He did the exact same things I did and then some. He finally resorted to pulling the graphics card and taking apart and looking at it to see if there was anything noticeable. That's where the problem was!!!! The CHEAP way some of these cards are made, was causing this issue. More specifically, there was little to no thermal compound on the actual GPU, it was all on the board on the side of it. He cleaned it off, put it back together, and ..... Viola!! It ran fine! I did the same thing, also with the help of some of Linus' videos, and it fixed mine as well!! Just to note I'm running a Red Devil Radeon RX 480, so this is not a cheap card but also not a super high end card either. Hope this helps somebody save a little bit of money and not throw out their card when its just poor assembly. All credit goes to the guy that started the post in the link, without him I would not have figured it out.

https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/660409/screen-goes-black-and-gpu-fan-goes-to-max-speed-monitor-enters-powersaving-mode/

THANK YOU - thought my trusty 1080ti had bit the dust ❤️ 

On 1/27/2021 at 3:29 AM, flyingresolve said:

I just noticed this thread and I'm having similar issues. But, my gpu hasn't passed the 1 year mark to consider a thermal paste change. Wondering if it's my psu. . . 

Did changing the PSU solve your issues? Am experiencing the same thing, except for the fact the problem didnt go away even after I RMA'ed the card and changed nearly everything(except my PSU)

So, I finally have found the solution to my problem. It was simply the PCIe frequency. I started raising the value little by little until the crashes went from every 2 minutes to 10, then to 20 and then never happened again. I'm now sitting at 117 and stock is 100.
I used to downclock my gpu before, since stock speeds would crash it. Now I run it stock without any problems.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/19/2018 at 4:38 AM, mack_50cal said:

I FIGURED IT OUT!!! I have been dealing with this for over 9 months with a BRAND NEW system I built following all of Linus Tech Tips videos. The system would just randomly crash from loading a game, all the way to being in the middle of a game and it crashes. I wasn't even playing graphically intensive games either! I had heard that it could be GPU, CPU, Motherboard, PSU, ... etc. I double checked everything in my PC... and I mean everything. I was 100% sure the GPU was fried and it was too late to return it. I had to swallow the pill of buying a new card in the middle of this bitcoin crap at the super high prices! It was about 2am my time and I was going to order the new card the next day when I decided to look for a fix. One. Last. Time. I found a very old thread, link below, that a guy was having the same issues. He did the exact same things I did and then some. He finally resorted to pulling the graphics card and taking apart and looking at it to see if there was anything noticeable. That's where the problem was!!!! The CHEAP way some of these cards are made, was causing this issue. More specifically, there was little to no thermal compound on the actual GPU, it was all on the board on the side of it. He cleaned it off, put it back together, and ..... Viola!! It ran fine! I did the same thing, also with the help of some of Linus' videos, and it fixed mine as well!! Just to note I'm running a Red Devil Radeon RX 480, so this is not a cheap card but also not a super high end card either. Hope this helps somebody save a little bit of money and not throw out their card when its just poor assembly. All credit goes to the guy that started the post in the link, without him I would not have figured it out.

https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/660409/screen-goes-black-and-gpu-fan-goes-to-max-speed-monitor-enters-powersaving-mode/

Thank you very much for this great contribution. I have a 4GB RX 480 Armor, and it had the same problem. When I played a game the screen would go black and the fans would raise the RPM to 100%. Now the temperature does not exceed 60 degrees celcius.

• 2 weeks later...

DUUUDE, I had almost a year having the same problem, until I found this post, I have an MSI RX480 Gaming X and I was having problems with low FPS and black screens followed by the fans revving up at full speed, notice that it did not have high temperatures (70-75C while playing) but still, I decided to change the thermal paste and voila, the FPS increased in most of my games and I no longer had the black screen problem, thank you very much <3

I thank everyone who has contributed to this thread. I've been building PC's for 20 years and never have I run into a problem that I could not diagnose and fix. This is my very first prebuilt desktop PC (Alienware Aurora R10 - Ryzen 7, Geforce RTX 2060...dual 27" Dell gaming monitors). I bought it through Dell in October 2020 and about 1 1/2 months later I was on the phone with a tech trying to figure out what the heck was going on. Fast-forward  to last week and I'm now working on a third in home visit where they will be replacing the the graphics card for the second time along with the motherboard this time; thank goodness I got the warranty. They still have no clue, they run through all the same diagnostics that I've already done, and they offer no insight as to what could be the issue. Rather than wait to be disappointed yet again, I took to the internet, typed in my exact issue and happened upon this thread. I immediately pulled the GPU, cleaned off the old thermal paste, applied new paste and now my PC is FANTASTIC!!! I'm still going to upgrade this 550 power supply to a 750 because I'm hoping to upgrade my GPU when all this madness is over (yes, I'm keeping hope alive). If it wasn't for the price and the time at which I purchased this PC, I would have never bought this thing but now at least I have peace of mind expanding my knowledge due to the amount of troubleshooting I endured. I'm still having the tech come through for the in home. Maybe the person is cool enough to sit back, grab some beer with me, and celebrate coming to an end of this bumpy path.

So last week I had the same issue and after a while my pc would refuse to boot up and I saw this thread and applied a new paste

It booted up and was working fine for a bit.

The temperature was at 66 degrees and everything was fine untill it suddenly went black again and GPU at full speed amd I could hear everything in discord but pc was not responding untill force shutdown

Can anybody please help

My GPU is Zotac 1660 with 550W psu

Thank you 

• 2 weeks later...

THANKS DUDE, I had this problem for almost 9 months, it got worse and worse to the point it crashed when I was in Zoom Call 😕 My teacher didn't believe me when I said I can't see her oml. I would of bought another GPU but this covid thing made it really bad, so I just rolled with it. You saved me! ❤️

BTW, my gpu is MSI RX 480 Gaming X, and it seems that a lot of people with this GPU have problems, MSI really done fucked it up, or maybe there was a batch that all had their thermal paste applied horribly. Mine had like >50% of the past around the die and put up no resistance when I took the radiator off (It felt like it didn't even make contact)

Edited by GGis
forgot to add my gpu

I too had this problem for a few months, I also have a  MSI RX 480 Gaming X, last night I disassembled my card, the thermal paste was pretty much gone. After a quick clean I applied new thermal paste and she hasn't crashed since. It was crashing in stress tests and randomly in games. The more intensive the game, the more often it would crash. It would also cause a bit of stutter in easier titles to run. Now everything seems to work perfectly again, no stutter or crashes. Thanks for much lads.

On 5/2/2021 at 9:27 PM, GkBoii said:

So last week I had the same issue and after a while my pc would refuse to boot up and I saw this thread and applied a new paste

It booted up and was working fine for a bit.

The temperature was at 66 degrees and everything was fine untill it suddenly went black again and GPU at full speed amd I could hear everything in discord but pc was not responding untill force shutdown

Can anybody please help

My GPU is Zotac 1660 with 550W psu

Thank you 

Well there is a guy in this thread that said something about PCI frequncy, try that, if that doesnt work, try a different PSU and if that still doesn't fix it, it's most  likely a faulty GPU.

• 1 month later...

Registered just to post regarding this issue with my MSI TWIN FROZR RX 480 4GB.

THANK YOU for posting regarding the thermal paste issue! Same issue: crashes in some demanding games but not others, driver reporting problems, stuttering.... Oddly, I never got any warnings about GPU temp. But it would crash to black screen(could still hear audio at times) and I had to hard restart the computer each time. Massively frustrating. I had done multiple searches and just thought it was an issue with RX 480's or driver issues or...? Did one last search a few days ago after I bought a freesync monitor and suffered the same problem and found this thread!

Didn't even think to check the thermal paste. I've had GPU's since the days of 3dfx and TNT cards(I'm old); never worried or even thought about the thermal paste.

But, sure enough, once I took the back plate off and checked, it was pretty dire. Put some new paste on there and the issues have gone away. It's like having a new card! Games that I was struggling with(Hunt Showdown, Tarkov, Hell Let Loose) are running great!

Taking the backplate off was pretty easy. Just a bunch of nerd-sized screws 🙂 I had to disconnect one power connector and then left the other on and just butterflied the two halves. It was a bit tricky trying to line the heatsink/fin assembly back up so that I wasn't smearing the paste but I took a flashlight and shone it through the bottom holes so I could line it up in one go(I don't know if that makes sense but play with light from the bottom so there's contrast.)

Just a word of caution. If your GPU is like mine, it might have these spring loaded screws around the area where the heatsink is mounted to the GPU board. I highly advise you to remove/re-secure them in an environment where you can *easily* see if they decide to bounce away. Did that *twice* and was luckily able to find them on a busy carpet.

Good luck!

RX480 1.jpg

RX480 2.jpg

Butterfly and backplate.jpg

Ugh.jpg

Just to add to the awesome topic - IT WORKED!

About 25 degrees celsius less while playing and no crashes whatsoever!

THANK YOU very much to the creator of the post :)

• 1 month later...

Just wanted to reply to this thread saying I had the same problem, and this fixed it. The thermal paste application on my MSI RX 580 ARMOR 4G OC was absolutely horrendous.
Picture of mine: 
About 3 years after purchase

Xl9hBvu.png

People are linking this thread and could you add a TLDR on the top saying basically in short "Check if there is enough thermalpaste on the chip"? Thanks

Intel NUC 13 | i3 1315U2x 8GB 3600/CL16

AMD 7950x3d | Sapphire 7800XT Nitro | 2x 16GB Corsair Vengeance 5600Mhz CL36 1R | MSI B650-P Pro Wifi | Custom Loop

AUNE X8 Magic DAC + SS3602

AUNE X7s PRO Class-A | Sennheiser HD58X

Schiit Rekkr ELAC BS243.3

• 2 weeks later...

Guys you are absolute LEGENDS , i had for few month problem with black screen/ no signal while playing one game , than it started to happen in more games . But in Warzone I never had this problem so i assumed it must be drivers etc  I have tried all software options with no luck . My GPU is RX580 Gaming X 8GB and it was produced in 2017 so its 4 years old but when . My temps were on idle 51 up to 71 on gaming , so i thought its ok but no,  issue was indeed thermal paste. Like all you guys my simpoms were the same black screen fans raming like i never heard while gaming and only solution power button to restart . I have changed the thermal paste to Arctic MX-4 as the old one was like rock . Im going to attach the pictures so you can have a look . Also can any one advise what to do with isolation that is stuck to radiator , im guessing it should be on the mosfeds ( or whatever they are called ) , they were not melted in just stuck to the radiator but im guessing when i put it all togheter they will get back on place , a had no replacment for that so i left it as it was . Now im free of black screen issue , i have tried 2 games that were giving me issue and all its working fine , my idle temp now its 37 and goes to 71 while gaming . It was my first time so please advice if you spot something wrong .

20210807_211511.jpg

20210807_212220.jpg

20210807_212710.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

THANK YOU OP!

Forgot to take pictures, but the paste on my card looked like a lot of the other pictures posted. Been having this issue for quite awhile now with my MSI RX480 4gb and nothing was fixing it. Switched the thermal paste and none of the tests I ran were creating crashes. 

I had same problem with Gigabyte 2070S OC 3X. the card was new and only used for gaming during year and half ago.

before changing paste temp was 86 C, hotspot temp 104.6 C, with fan rpm 65% constant.

after changing paste (Noctua NT-H1) temp is 67 C, hotspot 83 C, fan rpm 55% constant.

it means cheap manufacturer paste only worked for a year and half.

everything was good until 3 months ago when i saw that the card temp is slowly raising at full load. i thought it is normal. but one day i experienced black screen and then GPU fans went full speed and system did auto reboot. i tried everything like changing drivers and reinstalling windows etc but non of them worked. it was happening once per power on (it was reaching 105C anyway but only one black screen per power on). finally i decided to change paste and problem is solved now.

edit:  black screens came back after two weeks. problem was my PSU. i RMA PSU and  they updated BIOS and after that black screens didn't happen.

Loved finding this thread. I felt so alone with my problem before finding it 😩

I had a similar problem, random black screens with 100% fan. I could still hear the audio and my friends wondering what is going on in multiplayer games. Annoying as F**k.

First suspected the mobo/cpu/memories, so tried another to eliminate those from the picture. Then suspected the cabling to the monitors, as I had a dual display setup and with a single display it seemed slightly more stable. Didn't help.

Thought it might be the PSU, as it was pretty old. Tried another, newer model. Didn't help.

Next was about to start with the re-applying thermal paste to my GPU (Gigabyte 1070), but decided to check the PCI-E cable between the PSU and the GPU as I had kept the old cables since they were ready connected inside the case. 

And... The PCI-E connector most definitely did not look ok (see pic).

Changed it (luckily had the same brand cable laying around) and this fixed it for me.  

20210826_155824.jpg