BLACK SCREEN GPU FANS AT FULL SPEED CRASH [FIXED]

I just had this issue, and it wasn't my GPU at all. I simply had to replace the CMOS battery. My custom rig is not even 4 years old. My wife's prebuilt is 8 years old, but the CMOS battery is still working. I should probably change her battery now to be safe.

On 2/9/2020 at 6:55 PM, DragonslaiaR said:

Same issue for me as well, I hope this fix works! Now to learn how to take apart my gtx 1080.....

Have you had a chance to replace the thermal compound on your 1080? I just did mine last night, and it was quite easy. Here's a great video to follow: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N-brze9p_9E

I had all the same issues as you and OP, and the thermal paste replacement did the trick. Just make sure you put a good amount on the chip (see the video above), since GPUs are not like CPUs, which transfer heat differently. The entire chip will need to be covered once the heatsink/radiator and shroud are pressed against it.

I also recommend you review the settings you may have on your third-party GPU management software (e.g., Afterburner and Precision X1). I like to use an aggressive fan curve for my setup, so I can be sure that my fans are operating at a high enough RPM when at temperatures of 60c +.

Happy to report I've had zero blackout crashes since cleaning the case, shroud, and replacing the thermal compound. I'm also seeing very steady/comfortable temps, even during hours of gaming sessions.

On 2/11/2020 at 9:19 AM, D.B.Mort said:

Having the same issue as well, temperature alarm goes off after a short time forcing me to turn off the power at the socket as it won't shut down otherwise. It happened once a couple of months ago, then again recently but 3 times over the last 3 days, I just installed an M2 and I am worried that made the problem worse somehow. Debating trying to return the GPU since i have only had it for 3 months, but first I am going to try a fresh windows install. I have also re-seated the GPU and made sure the power connectors were in properly.

Ok well that didn't work.

What is the size and rating of the PSU are you using? Also, what card are you trying to power? Did you add additional case fans or have/add LED components (Corsair Commander Pro)? I sincerely doubt adding an m2 drive to your setup is the culprit, unless it's somehow drawing more power to the motherboard than a sata SSD. It sounds to me like your issue is a lack of power to drive all your components.

Also, what do you mean by a temperature alarm? Are you hearing an alarm from the motherboard or from a software program you have running while the PC is under load?

Thank you mack_50cal your solution worked for me it's started when I started to play star wars fallen order after playing like 30 minutes my display went out and my GPU fans were at there full speed to come out from that infinite loop I need to hard reset my pc by pressing power button I thought it was just a game who is crashing like that my other games were not crashing on that time I used to play tekken 7, rainbow 6 but they don't crash like star wars so I stoped playing star wars but then it started to interfere in my other games to so I installed riva tuner and msi afterburner to check my GPU temp it's look ok but whenever I start any game for 5 like minutes later again that black screen and full speed GPU so I figured out it was all GPU temperature because on ideal it was like 40 to 45 while opening games that was like 68 to 74 but the screen went out when I use to play game sudden increase in the temperature causes this shit so after applying thermal paste it's all fine no black screen no full speed  GPU and my temperature is decreased by 10 to 15 degree earlier it was used to be like 70 to 74 at high settings while playing rainbow six now it's between 63 to 66 at ultra

Thank you

Note:- I have msi rx480 8gb gamingx edition if you're reading this and facing the same problem you should try this method only if you're GPU warranty is over

Hey man, i dont know if you’re still active in this account, but i just gotta give you a big fucking THANK YOU! I was having the same issue with certain games, mostly pubg,apex, and recently tarkov, there were sometimes good days and bad ond, were once i loaded the game it would crash, call of duty and dayz played normally.

i first encounter this issue around 1 year ago, and tried thousands of different solutions given in hundreds of forums, recently i decided to buy tarkov and would play normally, but every now and then this started to happen, so i changed the thermal paste of the cpu this weekend and not even then, i was ready to give up after 12 hours of troubleshooting, had work the next fay, so when at 12am i came across this topic i said to myself, is it worth the try? Or should i sleep?. I would’ve never think the gpu needed thermal paste, and jeezuz! It looked horrendous, so i decided to clean it and add new one, man, you are a life saver!!! I was ready to pour some big bucks in a new gpu lol, thanks again mate hope you see this! You still doing gods work 

as everyone of you... When launching or playing a game for a short time my screen turns black, no signal and my gpu fans will spin 100% the only way to get my pc to work again is pressing the on/off button on the case... Have tried so many things to fix this shit. Still got my warranty tho, so I'm sending it back and hopefully they'll fix it. Has your system still been working since you relaced the gpu cooling paste?

This are actually a common problem.Thermal paste are conductive.I got a gpu from a friend that said it didn't work.Took the heatsink off and there was TP on the chips next to the die cleaned it off added TP to die and it works fine.

Same problem here with my 5 month old ASUS DUAL RTX 2060. I game, and use 3D software such as blender almost everyday. First time this black screen appeared when i pressed the AI D-noise button in blender...instant crash. That was in January.

After like a month without issues it's happening again, most of the time when I move the 3Dviewport in blender, launch a game/benchmark or even while sitting idle at desktop. I have tried 3 drivers , while uninstalling them with DDU. Some users who have this problem try reinstalling windows, but here I have pop OS installed in a dual boot config. All it took to crash the GPU was to bring up the logon screen by hitting spacebar while monitor is off. So i can confirm this is not related to windows here

Had a spare PSU ( both of them 550w 80+g) and decided to swap PSU to see if it fixes the issue. well, it did....for a week and its back again. It happened 6 times in 24hrs last week

Now im running a GTX 960, and the RTX 2060 in another computer, and a with higher ambient temps and not a single problem in 5 days. :wot:

I'll try the repaste method and hopefully it'll fix the issue, I'll let you know

Edit: Unfortunately my 2060 continues to black screen randomly even after thermal paste replacement

Edited by ionic_64

• 3 weeks later...

To come back on this, I decided to replace the thermal paste on my gpu (it was a big mess when I opened it as you can see in the pictures). After I repasted it (I used the spread method because I heard the gpu chip had to be completely covered with thermal paste.

This fixed the problem for me and I haven't had a single crash after

IMG_20200317_133206.jpg

IMG_20200317_133210.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you to OP, i've had this problem for quite a while. Updating drivers seemed to fix it temporarily but the real problem was the thermal paste was bad. Replaced paste and now running around 40 degrees while playing a game (was above 60). 

• 4 weeks later...
On 2/19/2018 at 9:38 AM, mack_50cal said:

I FIGURED IT OUT!!! I have been dealing with this for over 9 months with a BRAND NEW system I built following all of Linus Tech Tips videos. The system would just randomly crash from loading a game, all the way to being in the middle of a game and it crashes. I wasn't even playing graphically intensive games either! I had heard that it could be GPU, CPU, Motherboard, PSU, ... etc. I double checked everything in my PC... and I mean everything. I was 100% sure the GPU was fried and it was too late to return it. I had to swallow the pill of buying a new card in the middle of this bitcoin crap at the super high prices! It was about 2am my time and I was going to order the new card the next day when I decided to look for a fix. One. Last. Time. I found a very old thread, link below, that a guy was having the same issues. He did the exact same things I did and then some. He finally resorted to pulling the graphics card and taking apart and looking at it to see if there was anything noticeable. That's where the problem was!!!! The CHEAP way some of these cards are made, was causing this issue. More specifically, there was little to no thermal compound on the actual GPU, it was all on the board on the side of it. He cleaned it off, put it back together, and ..... Viola!! It ran fine! I did the same thing, also with the help of some of Linus' videos, and it fixed mine as well!! Just to note I'm running a Red Devil Radeon RX 480, so this is not a cheap card but also not a super high end card either. Hope this helps somebody save a little bit of money and not throw out their card when its just poor assembly. All credit goes to the guy that started the post in the link, without him I would not have figured it out.

https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/660409/screen-goes-black-and-gpu-fan-goes-to-max-speed-monitor-enters-powersaving-mode/

IT WORKS! Same issue, same solution, and same result. 

I was desperately looking for a solution, thanks!

I have a MSI Gaming X R480 4Gb

In the photos, before and after the change

Once again, thanks!

IMG-20200425-WA0026.jpg

IMG-20200425-WA0029.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you! I just had a very similar experience - I have had an EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 since August 2019. I do not do any crazy overclocking - minor boosts to my GPU through MSI Afterburner when I'm gaming (usually PUBG). I also have relatively good air flow and my CPU is cooled with an AOI, so my system has stayed quite cool most of the time. I started having issues a few months back where my computer was black screening and the only way to get it back was a hard restart.

I tried boosting fan speed through MSI to lower temps which worked in the interim, but it seemed I had to keep turning my fans higher and higher to avoid the issue, eventually leading me to have to turn my MSI settings all the way down with 100 fan speed in order to play.

I found your thread and replaced the thermal paste on the GPU (attaching pictures of the hack job they did in the factory) and ever since it's running much better. Lower temps and better performance, once again the high fan speed is no longer necessary, and my Nvidia Shadowplay replays are popping up immediately after match end again. This indicates the GPU is much healthier due to the change. Thanks for the sound advice!

IMG_7129.JPG

IMG_7130.JPG

On 2/4/2020 at 7:09 PM, PoisonDaddy said:

i have this problem aswell but the thing i gotta add is that i can still hear the game i can even hear spotify or youtube playing but when i click, alt tab, etc..nothing happens it just stay in no display and sound playing but nothing happens, have to force shutdown. gpu temp is not high it doesnt even go to 75C, but when the first time this  happened i opened the gpu it was full of dust so i cleaned and i noticed the paste was dry but i just when yolo (if the softwares says the temp is ok then it mustn't be overheat but ill check it out and buy a thermal paste).

"did anyone also had this problem but sound still running"?

Same thing (I could hear my discord call) did you find a fix by any chance?

• 4 weeks later...

I have the same problem, gpu fan goes 100%, black screen, but I hear the sound still but can't see anything and I hear the driver disconnected sound , then I hold the button to turn of my system and when I get into windows again , there is a notification saying display driver failed to start, so I think the driver is wrong here but I did a clean install and it still does it sometimes , it can work like a charm for a week then out of no where it happens and it disconnects the driver. Can that be the same problem? Or should I install a older driver ?

Btw my gpu is Nvidia GeForce GTX 1060 6gb , the one fan variety, the temperatures are always normal without any overheating, I update the drivers over the GeForce experience, and have the latest version of windows 10, mby bcs of windows 10 this is happening? It only occurs when I freshly start my computer , it most occurs while playing games , like in gta v sometimes, and rearly when I watch a video on YouTube (it happens like one time) .

• 2 weeks later...

hello,

Had the same problem with gigabyte 1080 and i7-7700. tried this things:

Replaced the thermal paste on the gpu processor - didnt worked.

I updated the bios - didnt worked.

Changed my graphic card - didnt worked.

Finaly I noticed that the power cable from the ps to the gpu card wasnt connected well to the ps connector, I insert it properly and then the problem solved!

I hope this gives me the solution I want. I am still waiting for my thermal paste to be delivered.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/4/2018 at 10:04 PM, Spencer.- said:

Hi

I am having the same problem. But i dont notice any overheating.

Was your card overheating?

This might help!!

I tried everything, Every possible thing such as Changing PSU, Power Cables, Driver Updates, New GPU, Quadros, Titans and 2080Ti, OS Fresh Install, Thermal Compound and 75 others. None of these solved my issue. I decided to burn my PC and Hang myself to death. Right then something crossed. I install the OS in a new drive. I did that and IT WORKED!!. I am yet to check if my old SSD is corrupt but running WIN10 in a new SSD seems to be my solution. I guess no one knows what is the root cause of this problem coz there is no one solution that works for everyone but changing the C: drive solved my issue.

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you SO MUCH!!

Like many of the posters in this thread I was having the same issue with my MSI Radeon RX 480 x 4GB. My issues weren't as bad as most of yours (yet), but I had the same symptoms. Crash to black screen, fans ramp up to max, and I can still hear sound but have to force shut down my desktop. For me, it happened when loading Civilization VI. In that game the entire map loads at once just before the "Begin Game" button appears, which was causing a crash. The same crash happened immediately after attempting to run a GPU stress test via FurMark.

Some additional symptoms for anyone else who reads this. My GPU never showed it was reading hot. It was 50-56 C idle or under load. When under load the fans would spin at max RPM. It was either all or nothing with the fans, no in between. I have been running this system for almost 4 years (built in November 2016), but started experiencing issues in the last couple of months.

Picture is of the thermal paste before changing. Mine was not dry, just a subpar application or maybe cheap paste. I replaced it with Arctic MX-4 using a slightly larger than pea sized amount and spreading evenly.

Now my PC is like the day I made it. Not only are my crashes solved, but I'm seeing noticeably improved performance in a myriad of games. In particular, Monster Hunter World: Iceborne is running at a stable 60 fps with max graphics. It has NEVER done that before. My temps are 50 C idle at 65 C under load, but the paste hasn't even been in two days so I imagine they may drop still. Also, my fans actually run at intermediate speeds now!

Thanks again! 

IMG_20200723_181858382.jpg

Im having the same issue now where it crashes when I do a stress test or open a game but sometimes it’ll allow me to play the game a while before it does it I’ve checked all the power supply pins to make sure I’m getting voltage and I am but the tech over the phone tells me that when the card does that it’s a power related issue. (EVGA 1080 FTW) is the card I’m referring to. This is my second replacement card after my original blew a capacitor while I was gaming. When it does it crashes I can still hear all desktop audio through my headphones but black screens and full blasting fans. Idk what all to check to confirm it’s my graphics card for sure. So far I’ve check all power supply cables at the end for voltage and they are correct I’ve checked different slots on motherboard I’ve tryed an older card to see if it does it (MSI 760) it runs fine. EVGA is send me another card as it’s under warranty just wanna make sure I’m not missing something.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi LTT. i was having the same problem new psu hopefully fixed it.

i5-9400f, asrock h310cm-hdv, tforce vulkcan 16gb, off brand ssd 512gb, wd blue hdd 4tb, rtx2060

on my 6th hour of so of gaming on no mans sky my computer crashes. black screen but can still hear music, controller and kb/mouse seems responsive all fans go to full power. restarted and played fine problem came back after 2 weeks and became frequent. downloaded some monitering aps notice cpu idles at 60c 70-90+ while gaming, bought a noctua cpu cooler idles @ 45c gaming @ 60-70c. computer still crashes. after restarts begin getting error message : display driver failed to start. fresh windows install, problem still persists. found out about ddu, ddu'd my drivers still black screen crashing. disconnected 4tb hdd fi put in from my windows 7 pc. problem still persist. took ssd from another comp to boot still black screens.  googled around found this thread. took apart gpu reapplied thermal paste. problem still persist. swapped out this pos raidmax 500w psu swapped with silverstone nt700 80 gold, seems to be working perfectly now. i typing this with youtube 4k in the back ground, steam downloading two games, and mpc hc playing a h.265 4k hdr 30gb file, and windows updating in the back ground. cpu now idles 30c 40-45c under load. gpu has stay consistent through out all this 30c idle 50c underload. it's been 3 hours and im throwing everything i can at this machine to try to get this to crash again. hopefully this was the fix will update in 2 months or so. hope you guys figure it out.

On 2/19/2018 at 3:38 PM, mack_50cal said:

I FIGURED IT OUT!!! I have been dealing with this for over 9 months with a BRAND NEW system I built following all of Linus Tech Tips videos. The system would just randomly crash from loading a game, all the way to being in the middle of a game and it crashes. I wasn't even playing graphically intensive games either! I had heard that it could be GPU, CPU, Motherboard, PSU, ... etc. I double checked everything in my PC... and I mean everything. I was 100% sure the GPU was fried and it was too late to return it. I had to swallow the pill of buying a new card in the middle of this bitcoin crap at the super high prices! It was about 2am my time and I was going to order the new card the next day when I decided to look for a fix. One. Last. Time. I found a very old thread, link below, that a guy was having the same issues. He did the exact same things I did and then some. He finally resorted to pulling the graphics card and taking apart and looking at it to see if there was anything noticeable. That's where the problem was!!!! The CHEAP way some of these cards are made, was causing this issue. More specifically, there was little to no thermal compound on the actual GPU, it was all on the board on the side of it. He cleaned it off, put it back together, and ..... Viola!! It ran fine! I did the same thing, also with the help of some of Linus' videos, and it fixed mine as well!! Just to note I'm running a Red Devil Radeon RX 480, so this is not a cheap card but also not a super high end card either. Hope this helps somebody save a little bit of money and not throw out their card when its just poor assembly. All credit goes to the guy that started the post in the link, without him I would not have figured it out.

https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/660409/screen-goes-black-and-gpu-fan-goes-to-max-speed-monitor-enters-powersaving-mode/

Made an account here on LTT just to say thank you, @mark_50cal for making this thread and went in to detail with your problem and solution.

I'd also like to add my case here, hope that it can be of help to somebody down the road.

• PC is a Ryzen 5 1600 + MSI RX580 8GB ARMOR combo, stock cooler. The ARMOR is a cheap model with 2 fans and no backplate.
  • Case has 2 fans, 14cm front intake and 12cm back exhaust.
  • Crash (black screen - fans go full speed - can only hard shutdown) would happen even on games with recommended specs below my pc specs. In my case it happened during Kingdom Come Deliverance and Assassin's Creed games, could not even get past Remnant: From the Ashes "Press Any Key" screen. (it would black screen immediately after pressing any key)

Bought a Noctua NT-H2 paste, took apart the pc and dusted it off (it was fairly clean). Replaced both the GPU and CPU paste with the NT-H2. (the AMD Wraith Spire stock cooler is damn hard to pull off, took a bit of twisting and pulling. The CPU is stuck to the heatsink when it came off, even with the CPU socket lock still on, luckily the pins are ok). I forgot to take photos but the factory applied paste is about the same as what was posted by several users in this thread.

I tried running the Remnant game just now and it went along fine, got past Press Any Key into the Character Creation screen. Checked GPU temp while the game was open and it is hovering around 75-80C (GPU idle temp is 45C, room temp is ~27C). Looking forward to playing it after I install some more fans this weekend.

Update: Edited to add that the GPU performs nicely. It averages 75C when playing Remnant (on all Medium setting), GPU util is 100% when playing, no stuttering even on busy boss fights. All thanks to OP and people in this thread.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi! I tried adding thermal paste to my GPU die, but it didn't fix the issue and the GPU still blew at full speed with no video output.

I found out that my GPU would be okay with no monitors plugged in though, and so I thought it might be a problem with my monitors or video cables. Through some trial and error, I found that my VGA -> HDMI adapter for my second monitor suddenly went faulty and was causing the GPU to crash for some reason. Replacing it with another adapter made both my monitors work again, with no black screen and full-speed fans issues.

If you have a VGA -> HDMI adapter for one of your monitors like me and also have this problem, try replacing it or testing with another monitor/cable!

Got the same problem. In some games, randomly, my screens goes black and my GPU fans goes crazy 100% speed. The only way was to reboot my computer. That was not a thermal issue cause my Nvidia RTX 2080ti wasn't heating that much. The solution for me was to replace my Power Supply. I had a LEPA BM1000 (1000 w), way enough to deliver the power needed by my graphic card but, apparently, there was a power issue causing this crashes. I now have a new Enermax Revolution D.F 750w and the problem is gone.

• 3 weeks later...