BLACK SCREEN GPU FANS AT FULL SPEED CRASH [FIXED]

What a valuable thread!

Im running a MSI GTX1070ti. For the first time this issue came up in Winter 2020, I saw this thread and changed the cooling paste. The problem was gone and I continued playing. In Summer 2021 it started to happen again, I changes the paste again and the problem was gone again. Now the problem is back, more agressive then ever. First it only happened during gaming but now it even pops up while listening to Spotify or watching YouTube.

I now red through this thread again and saw that people had problems with the PSU. This made me thinking: When it happened a few months ago the paste was still fine and I was suprisied changing it actually fixed the problem for a few months. So maybe, since I had to disconnect and re connect all cables from the GPU when I was changing the cooling paste and also I used the oppertunity to clean up the dust, this might have been the fix, and not the new paste itselfe. So this time, I just disconnected all cables, cleared the contacts and re connected everything. Additionaly I saw that the PSU was crazy dusty so I vacuumed it nice and clean. 
As a result my computer is now running for an hour without a crash (that was not possible over the last days). So maybe this was the fix. If it starts crashing again Ill let you know!

Greetings and thanks again for the nice thread and all the help!

• 3 weeks later...

I have a gtx 1060 3gb and am facing the same problem as soon as I turn on a game my pc gives a black screen and gpu fans goes mad at 100% speed so I tried literally everything I could find on the web from changing thermal paste of the gpu to pcie cable to reinstalling but still my problem remains the same . Am gonna test this gpu on a new pc in few days to see if my psu is faulty.. Even the underclocking didnt work for me.. lets see whats the problem will update here.

• 3 weeks later...

I was having the same issues mentioned on my MSi Rx 480 8G video card. I've noticed performance drops and contractions in games, for the last month I thought it was software, I formatted and installed a lot of drivers, but nothing solved my problem. The screen was turning off as soon as I started the Furmark test. Now, as soon as the game was opened, the screen was turning off and the fans were starting to spin at full speed, finally I came across the article in this forum and saw that you had the same problem and solved it. I wanted to try this solution as a last resort and it really WORKED. I signed up just to report this, thank you so much. You don't know how happy I am. I am grateful to you. My video card works like the first day and I'm getting the old performance. I couldn't take a photo of the thermal paste, but it was dry.

• 1 month later...

Wow, this thread is a godsend. 

My computer started experiencing the exact same issues like reported here - black screen suddenly, fans going 100% while playing Path of Exile + watching Twitch.

I ended up doing many unnecessary things including reinstalling windows before I found this thread. When I opened my EVGA 1070 FTW (bought mid 2016) up the thermal paste was all dried up. I replaced the paste after work and I experienced no crashes yesterday nor today so far. Today I ran WoW + Twitch/Youtube/Netflix all day and I am now playing some PoE again and computer appears to be running fine. I have made my gpu fans slightly more aggressive as well just in case.

I am still anxious it's not resolved but this thread has given me a lot of hope!

19/11: I have just experienced my first crash since redoing the paste on the card 😞 I was doing something GPU intensive in Path of Exile and wasn't looking at the temps so I'm not sure if they were high or not. I have been playing a lot of WoW and it's been running at a higher temperature than Path of Exile but I know Path of Exile is more demanding.

I will try downclocking my card now, see if it makes any difference.

• 3 weeks later...

I too have had the issue of black screening and the fans run at 100% and can still hear audio! turned out to be my cable extensions

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hey fellas,

Been having this issue on and off for a while. Like can go months without a problem then it's every time I open a game immediately black screen fans on and reboot/stuck doing nothing.

It's definitely not temperature related for me but I'm changing the paste anyway for the lols (sapphire nitro+ rx580 8gb). She still runs as good as the day I got her but paste is a little dry so changing that tomorrow.

Anywho....

Turns out the top 3 sockets (excuse my lack of jargon) of the 6+2 pcie power cable I'm using look all burnt, like the metal is oxidised or corroded and perhaps contact isn't solid enough when there's a spike in power draw.

I should mention GPU working fine in housemates PC.

The PSU is modular (Corsair SF450 platinum) and well within warranty so I will try the spare unused cable tomorrow once I've bought and applied some thermal paste.

I'm pretty confident this is it 🤞🤞🤞.

In short: check your pcie power cable for corrosion or anything that might hinder a solid contact.

If black screens are occuring after the paste change its gonna be the PSU or the cable or the contacts between PSU>cable / cable>GPU

PXL_20220112_033927694.MP.jpg

Similar issues with a 1060. Tried everything here no avail.

Anyone got any other reccomendations?

• 2 weeks later...

Guys

I tried renewing the thermal paste on gpu,uninstalling the gpu drivers, reseating the ram sticks, uninstalling the gpu then installing it, updating the gpu driver

nothing worked

The only actual thing that worked was uninstalling MSI afterburner..

Real weird.. I've been using it for over that 6 years.. Had no issues whatsoever

But as soon as I removed Msi AB, my pc worked like a charm

played like 4 hours (Hunt showdown, Battlefield V)

I was using msi afterburner just to monitor the temperatures, with no overclock.. 

TL;DR

Replacing the thermal paste doesn't always work.. uninstall msi afterburner in case you have it, it may solve the problem as it did in my case..

• 1 month later...

Same problem, been a problem for many years. After i change OS from Windows to Linux the problem was almost gone. But now suddenly it happend 4-5 times today, and now it happend every 10min, have to cool it down before i start up computer again.

MSI afterburner i dont think i have that when i use Linux. I just upgraded the BIOS, thought the problem was fixed, but no. I am not a hardware guy, i have no idea how the card looks like on the inside.

If i open it up, how do i know how much i should open up, and how do i know where to put the paste, LOL, i feel pretty stupid writing this. If i buy a lot of paste i could dip the graphic card in it and then im sure i put it on the right  place.

Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8700 CPU @ 3.20GHz, 16GB RAM, Z370 Gaming M5, nvidia GeForce GTX 1080

• 2 weeks later...

Hi 

I got the same issue. Got rx 580 gaming x 8gb. I see you got same card and I have a question. Did you change thermopads after changing thermalpaste? If yes,  how thick they were. I like to know 'cause i want to fix it for 100%.

Thx for help.

I have a very similar issue with my XFX RX 590 to the one described in this thread, but I'm not sure if it could be caused by the thermal paste. It all started around 3 months ago, my PC was in sleep and the screen didn't turn on when I tried to wake it up. Other times the PC would turn on normally, but I would get a solid color crash or a BSOD after a few seconds. At the time I was using a VGA to HDMI adapter. At first the issue only occurred when waking from sleep, but after around a month it started occurring even after shutting down the computer. The PC would turn on (no strange sounds or anything), but the screen would stay off. After a while it got so bad that it would take around 10-20 attempts to get the screen to turn on. Also, the screen would turn on much more easily in the morning than in the afternoon. I decided to get a DVI cable, as my monitor only has VGA or DVI ports. It seemed like the issue was gone, but after a few days my screen started to randomly turn off, even while in BIOS. It also stays off when waking from sleep sometimes, although nowhere near as often as with the VGA to HDMI adapter. I did send my GPU to someone and there were no problems on their PC, no overheating or such even under heavy load. Does anyone have an idea as to what might cause this? I am considering changing the PSU, but I'm really not sure. Could it be that I had a faulty VGA to HDMI adapter, only to then get a faulty DVI cable? It is an 18+1 DVI-D cable.

Edit: When the screen turns off, I can still hear sound but the computer is otherwise unresponsive. It also seems to occur more frequently when loading up a game. I do have another GPU, an old GT 630. The screen didn't turn off at all, but I still had that problem when waking up from sleep even with the GT 630.

11 hours ago, AdrianTM said:

I have a very similar issue with my XFX RX 590 to the one described in this thread, but I'm not sure if it could be caused by the thermal paste. It all started around 3 months ago, my PC was in sleep and the screen didn't turn on when I tried to wake it up. Other times the PC would turn on normally, but I would get a solid color crash or a BSOD after a few seconds. At the time I was using a VGA to HDMI adapter. At first the issue only occurred when waking from sleep, but after around a month it started occurring even after shutting down the computer. The PC would turn on (no strange sounds or anything), but the screen would stay off. After a while it got so bad that it would take around 10-20 attempts to get the screen to turn on. Also, the screen would turn on much more easily in the morning than in the afternoon. I decided to get a DVI cable, as my monitor only has VGA or DVI ports. It seemed like the issue was gone, but after a few days my screen started to randomly turn off, even while in BIOS. It also stays off when waking from sleep sometimes, although nowhere near as often as with the VGA to HDMI adapter. I did send my GPU to someone and there were no problems on their PC, no overheating or such even under heavy load. Does anyone have an idea as to what might cause this? I am considering changing the PSU, but I'm really not sure. Could it be that I had a faulty VGA to HDMI adapter, only to then get a faulty DVI cable? It is an 18+1 DVI-D cable.

Edit: When the screen turns off, I can still hear sound but the computer is otherwise unresponsive. It also seems to occur more frequently when loading up a game. I do have another GPU, an old GT 630. The screen didn't turn off at all, but I still had that problem when waking up from sleep even with the GT 630.

I think if you got the same problem with different GPU ist fault of other component. Try using HDMI instead if you got different monitor. Its very strange that its crashing in BIOS. Monitor may be broken.

4 hours ago, Hangrous said:

I think if you got the same problem with different GPU ist fault of other component. Try using HDMI instead if you got different monitor. Its very strange that its crashing in BIOS. Monitor may be broken.

Got a new monitor with a DP cable today, I'm going to see if it fixes it. Did you ever have any problems with the Adrenalin in-game overlay? I've noticed that it completely freezes my PC when using the latest version (22.3.1), so I turned it off.

21 hours ago, AdrianTM said:

Got a new monitor with a DP cable today, I'm going to see if it fixes it. Did you ever have any problems with the Adrenalin in-game overlay? I've noticed that it completely freezes my PC when using the latest version (22.3.1), so I turned it off.

No i never had something like that. Hope with new monitor your PC will work perfect.

6 hours ago, Hangrous said:

No i never had something like that. Hope with new monitor your PC will work perfect.

I'm still getting black screens in games, unfortunately. I've tried stress testing the GPU using Adrenalin and I've noticed that during the tests the 12V motherboard PSU voltage goes down to 11.5V, and the GPU VRM voltage goes all the way to 11.3V. Is that too low? I am considering changing the PSU anyway.

1 hour ago, AdrianTM said:

I'm still getting black screens in games, unfortunately. I've tried stress testing the GPU using Adrenalin and I've noticed that during the tests the 12V motherboard PSU voltage goes down to 11.5V, and the GPU VRM voltage goes all the way to 11.3V. Is that too low? I am considering changing the PSU anyway.

You can try. Maybe this finally will work for you.

On 3/20/2022 at 7:56 PM, Hangrous said:

You can try. Maybe this finally will work for you.

Changed the PSU, voltages are now stable. Hopefully this was the cause.

Edit: Still the same even with the new PSU. Started up the computer from sleep today, and got a black screen after a few minutes while browsing. This was with Adrenalin 20.11.2, a version which I have previously used without any problems for around a year. That only leaves the motherboard/CPU/RAM on the hardware side, which I plan to upgrade anyway. I will try both RAM sticks one by one and also use my older memory to see if it makes a difference. 

• 2 weeks later...

Update: In my case it seems that the GPU is on its last legs after all. Now it can't stay on for more than a few minutes without black-screening, even in BIOS. I've connected the monitor to the integrated graphics, no more crashes. I will RMA it as it's still in warranty until December. 

Dude you don't know how much this helps me even in 2022. I'm also surprised that the thread is not closed 😃

My 3070 was going black consistently even if I tune my card down very aggressively with afterburner.

I followed your tip, got some good Kryonaut, and it wouldn't surprise nobody : the default thermal paste was dried out like stone age !!

Now after I put the thermal paste on, it runs at stock and never exceeds 70C, average at 65C on high loads, no more crash, no more black screen. More importantly, it's almost inaudible the fan @@

I used to hear it ramps up when loading something heavy, now it's always the same, not noisy at all.

Man thank you for sharing this. This should be the first thing to check on a card that has been used for long.

Mobo: ASRock B150M Pro4s | CPU: Intel core i7 7700 with stock cooler | Storages: 2x80GB Seagate Barracuda 7200rpm + Zotac 120GB | Memory: 2x4GB Kingston HyperX Fury | PSU: 400W HYN 80+ | GPU: PowerColor Radeon R9 270X 2GB | Tower: an old one from the other decade | Monitor: ASUS Widescreen 900p + ViewSonic FHD| Speaker: microlab

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks guys, you are awesome, you saved me some money. I had a very loud MSI RX 580 GAMING X since I bought it. Although temperature was being shown as 60-65 deg it must have been very inaccurate, as during short stress test GPU would drop to 1100-1200MHz. Now after I replaced very poorly applied thermal paste, a get much quieter GPU, and very stable results. I wish I did it 5 years ago.

Also shame on MSI for doing such a bad job in flagship product.

• 3 weeks later...

Created this account just to thank you.. You saved my life ♥

Had the same problem than anyone here playing lost ark and running stress test, after changing the thermal paste of my MSI RX 580 8GB, the game is running smooth on high graphics, im very happy ♥

photo_2022-05-04_16-24-25.jpg

Yeah !

I had the same problem with my RX480.

I tried all the classical stuff but nothing worked until I found this thread !

I changed the thermal paste (old was dry and dusty) and no more black screen ! Thanks a lot !

GPU.jpg

• 2 months later...

Ok so I just ran into this problem on my 580 8gb. I don't have the black screen with the fans at full speed all the time but it only happens when I try to start a particular mission on GTA 4, I have played GTA 5 for years now on the same rig but never had anything like this but now when I try to live my childhood this happens. I don't think mine is an overheating issue because I play modern warfare 2 on highest settings and the fans seem loud but nothing happens. When I start that one particular mission it does that, I was thinking of stop playing the game altogether. Does anyone have another fix for this?

• 4 months later...

Ran into the same issue with my Nvidia 1060 6gb, did everything i could including changing the thermal paste but nothing worked for me. Still dont have a fix for it.