What could we do? (getting Blackmailed)

Cyberspirit

Hey, so I'm not sure how to word this because I'm extremely angry but, I'm going to try my best.

A couple days ago an old friend of my father called us and said that someone sent him letters about getting revenge on him and my father for what they did in 5th grade and that their families are in danger as well.

Just in advance, we don't have the letters yet. My father is picking them up tomorrow at work so I can only provide a limited amount of information.

He said that in the letters there were photos of my father and his friend but, I'm unsure if anyone else from the family was in it or not.

The Blackmailer accused my father and his friend for some crimes but, they did nothing like that so, that's not really a threat but, someone most likely the Blackmailer started calling my Mother and my Father but, said nothing into the phone.

Whenever anyone tried to call the number back it said that the signal is busy.

I went ahead and blocked the number on my parents' phones but, that probably won't solve the issue.

Once we get the papers we will go straight to the police with them and the number but, our relatives said that it probably won't do any good.

Is there anything we can do or are we just waiting for their next move at this point? Because I don't like that idea at all.

At this point, I had enough of my father's shit because he caused us so much harm over the years and now that we are finally trying to climb out of this financial shithole we are in this comes along.

I don't care for my father or his friend's well being but, if this fucker tries anything with my sisters or my mother I will break every god damn bone he has even if I go to prison because of it.

Update:

So, my father's friend said that he has been getting letters like these for a long time now (at the start they were handwritten)

but until recently they were only aimed at him.

Not sure why did they bring us into this but I'm tired of all of this.

Final Update hopefully:

We finally got to read the letter that was about us and, I'm relieved to say that it doesn't look as bad as we thought.

My father took all the letters to the police and they said that, judging by the writing and the style it's probably a woman and that we shouldn't worry about it.

We were only able to read the letter that was about us because my father hid the other ones which is fishy so they probably tell more about him and his past.

The letter basically says that this person helped them in school because they were pretty stupid back then and that "she" knows about the crimes they've done.

Now, I don't know what he and his friends done in the past but I can for sure say that he isn't a good person so, I wouldn't be surprised.

"She" also referenced the Bible like 90% of the letter so "she" is probably religious though, that doesn't really matter but, it was weird.

At the end of the letter "she" said that "she" attached all the evidence and witnesses to "her" will. (I believe it's called will. it's the note you leave behind if you die)

Ps.: "She" used the word "Pernahajder" which basically means reprobate in Hungarian but, only reeally old people use it so, I'm just hoping that it's just an old woman who is trying to screw with us.

Edited by Cyberspirit

Make sure to quote or tag people, so they get notified.

34 minutes ago, Cyberspirit said:

I don't care for my father or his friend's well being but, if this fucker tries anything with my sisters or my mother I will break every god damn bone he has even if I go to prison because of it.

Take care what you say  on the internet, it can still be used against in court. 

Going to the police is a good idea. If they do nothing at least you have taken steps to protect yourself.  

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

Just now, SansVarnic said:

Take care what you say on the internet, it can still be used against in court. 

Sorry but I really lost it when this whole thing came up and now they started calling us too which took it to another level.

Going to the police is a good idea. If they do nothing at least you have taken steps to protect yourself.

I was just hoping that there would be any other steps we could take because our relatives said that reporting this whole thing will get us nowhere by itself.

I just want to protect my family from all this but, I can't do anything and I hate it.

After getting through so many hardships together I don't want anyone to get hurt or, god forbid, die right when we can see the light at the end of the tunnel.

i don't think it is blackmail until they ask for something in return. It's most definitely harassment, you should go to the police even without the letters and let them handle it. 

I mean... Yeah. Just go to the police. Especially if there are multiple letters, the police will take this seriously.

Here's what NOT to do:

1. Don't say anything like "you'll hunt them down" or "break their bones", etc. Because if this goes to court, and they subpoena LTT for records, this CAN be used in court against you.

2. Don't try to "get revenge" on this person, or plan any sort of vigilantism. At best, you're setting yourself up to break the law, which the "blackmailer" can use against you in court. At worst, you could get yourself, or people you care about, hurt or killed.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

Tbh it’s something they did in the 5th grade. Must be someone not right in the head. 

Definitely go to the police. 

Just got to the police, nothing else for it.

Unless your old man actually committed some crime back then and there is evidence its just empty accusations which will end no where.   Have them investigated for harassment. 

Don't stress it, the world is full of bat shit crazy people that are all talk and nothing will happen, talk to your parents and tell them how it makes you feel, open discussion equals better.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

5 minutes ago, mr moose said:

Just got to the police, nothing else for it.

Unless your old man actually committed some crime back then and there is evidence its just empty accusations which will end no where.   Have them investigated for harassment. 

Don't stress it, the world is full of bat shit crazy people that are all talk and nothing will happen, talk to your parents and tell them how it makes you feel, open discussion equals better.

It's also worth noting that since the perp sent blackmail letters, that's clear proof of malicious intent.

Go get a restraining order. It likely would be approved.

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

1 minute ago, dalekphalm said:

It's also worth noting that since the perp sent blackmail letters, that's clear proof of malicious intent.

Go get a restraining order. It likely would be approved.

Early handwritten letters will also have finder prints on them.  Shouldn't be hard to track if they went to primary school together.  

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

well tbh my guy

There's like what, a 20 year limit on laws?

Get a lawyer who knows how to push the fact that this person waited all this time until it suited him to uncover the evidence

He exposed them for selfish reasons, and therefore withheld information from the public for selfish reasons

use your fathers friend's letters to prove so. You might not be able to save your father from whatever it was, but I'm sure you could use that to hit him

Shipping sucks

well I guess isn't easy to get a gun over there but if someone breaks into your place you should make him eat a bullet, guns are for self defense.

ASUS X470-PRO • R7 1700 4GHz • Corsair H110i GT P/P • 2x MSI RX 480 8G • Corsair DP 2x8 @3466 • EVGA 750 G2 • Corsair 730T • Crucial MX500 250GB • WD 4TB

Violence (or even threat of violent action) should only ever be a last resort. I'm throwing that out there right now.

I would first go to the police with what you currently know. After that may be some interrogation work on your part. Assuming that your posts have given the information you already know, I would think it extremely likely that your father is withholding information as to what transpired that earned him years of blackmail. There is usually a reason people make enemies.

Beyond contacting police, it would be a good idea to await the contents of the letters before proceeding further. Though it is likely a good idea to figure out the entire story to get a grasp of what might, or might not be a danger.

Also, keep a close eye on social media (of both yourself, and your family), and be mindful of what you put out there. Social media can provide a vast wealth of information.

And further, getting an experienced attorney on hand, albeit expensive, may be a very good thing to have in your arsenal. The imminent threat of legal action may cause someone to reconsider harassing you or your family.

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

On 2/18/2018 at 7:25 AM, SansVarnic said:

Take care what you say  on the internet, it can still be used against in court. 

Not sure about you but the police department in my area sucks. I can call the cop one day and they arrive like one week later if they even bother to come at all. Sometimes the community just needs to band into vigilantes group and seek their own justice. Authority is often times unwilling and incompetent.

Sudo make me a sandwich 

On 2/18/2018 at 4:47 AM, Cyberspirit said:

he Blackmailer accused my father and his friend for some crimes

Statute of limitations

Also everyone should just act dumb, act like no one remembers and see where it goes.

If it escalates then play along and agree on a drop point.

And swing into action!!!

Forum rules forbid me to tell you what I'd do Louiville Slugger!

On 2/18/2018 at 6:47 AM, Cyberspirit said:

he Blackmailer accused my father and his friend for some crimes but, they did nothing like that

not trying to be rude, but I cannot take my parents word on a lot of stuff for example, back in Europe my dad was a hard drug user and went to jail, but he lied to me and my sister for years about it to use.

but anyway, accusing someone of something that they didn't do is either defamation or slander, not sure sadly, and that is illegal.

Ex frequent user here, still check in here occasionally. I stopped being a weeb in 2018 lol

For a reply please quote or  @Eduard the weeb me :D

Xayah Main in Lol, trying to learn Drums and guitar. Know how to film do photography, can do basic video editing

2 hours ago, dalekphalm said:

I expect the police to investigate the crime. How much resources they devote to it will highly depend on the risk to you and/or others, and the tools available to them to actually do anything about it.

You can do that if you want, but I think it's bad advice, because if it goes to court, or if something does happen, it could easily escalate much further than it would have otherwise - not to mention the potential liability of essentially framing yourself, should the blackmailer get injured, even if you had nothing to do with it.

I'm only going to take things further if this person tries to stalk or attack any of us. I think that's understandable.

15 minutes ago, Cyberspirit said:

I'm only going to take things further if this person tries to stalk or attack any of us. I think that's understandable.

Never the less, always go to the police before anything else. This isn’t some action movie starring Liam Neeson. Taking matters into your own hands can get ugly, and can backfire, extremely easily. 

9 hours ago, dalekphalm said:

Never the less, always go to the police before anything else. This isn’t some action movie starring Liam Neeson. Taking matters into your own hands can get ugly, and can backfire, extremely easily. 

Well, apparently my father takes this as a joke because he still didn't get those letters from his friend.

He was supposed to give them to him at work but, the guy didn't show up and my father can't be bothered about it.

-= Topic Cleaned =-

Lets try not to Derail the conversation.

On 2/18/2018 at 6:36 AM, Cyberspirit said:

Sorry but I really lost it when this whole thing came up and now they started calling us too which took it to another level.

I was just hoping that there would be any other steps we could take because our relatives said that reporting this whole thing will get us nowhere by itself.

I just want to protect my family from all this but, I can't do anything and I hate it.

After getting through so many hardships together I don't want anyone to get hurt or, god forbid, die right when we can see the light at the end of the tunnel.

The Police, FBI and the Dept of Homeland Security have divisions that work together on cases like this including cybercrime. Reporting this to the police will at least get in on record and from there you begin to have a case. Not reporting makes the issue worse... trust me please I know. Even if your local PD is not the best and if they dont act on it they do still have to answer for their part. Even if you feel the threat is real [and I am not saying is isnt] reporting to the FBI will get your Local PD on their toes because the first thing that will happen is the FBI will contact them to see what has or hasn't been reported and other things. Its a circle of accountability.

2 hours ago, Cyberspirit said:

Well, apparently my father takes this as a joke because he still didn't get those letters from his friend.

He was supposed to give them to him at work but, the guy didn't show up and my father can't be bothered about it.

Do what you need to do to protect yourself and your family but I warn you [strongly] do not take this matter into your own hands. I work in higher end security, I work with law enforcement [we collab as much as possible] it is better that you take the steps to protect yourself from an immediate threat obviously you cannot count on PD to react in seconds but in minutes so do what you need to do.

As for everything else, making the authorities aware of this will cover you on the Legal side if or when a threat is played out and you need to defend yourself you have done your due diligence to ensure your not going to jail instead of them. It may sound crazy but it has happened. This is why I am giving yout his advice.

On 2/19/2018 at 9:59 AM, wasab said:

Not sure about you but the police department in my area sucks. I can call the cop one day and they arrive like one week later if they even bother to come at all. Sometimes the community just needs to band into vigilantes group and seek their own justice. Authority is often times unwilling and incompetent.

If you feel the need to comment .. make sure your reply is contributing, this is not.

19 hours ago, Canada EH said:

Statute of limitations

Also everyone should just act dumb, act like no one remembers and see where it goes.

If it escalates then play along and agree on a drop point.

And swing into action!!!

Forum rules forbid me to tell you what I'd do Louiville Slugger!

Again, If you feel the need to comment .. make sure your reply is contributing, this is not.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

On 2/18/2018 at 11:47 AM, Cyberspirit said:

Hey, so I'm not sure how to word this because I'm extremely angry but, I'm going to try my best.

A couple days ago an old friend of my father called us and said that someone sent him letters about getting revenge on him and my father for what they did in 5th grade and that their families are in danger as well.

Just in advance, we don't have the letters yet. My father is picking them up tomorrow at work so I can only provide a limited amount of information.

He said that in the letters there were photos of my father and his friend but, I'm unsure if anyone else from the family was in it or not.

The Blackmailer accused my father and his friend for some crimes but, they did nothing like that so, that's not really a threat but, someone most likely the Blackmailer started calling my Mother and my Father but, said nothing into the phone.

Whenever anyone tried to call the number back it said that the signal is busy.

I went ahead and blocked the number on my parents' phones but, that probably won't solve the issue.

Once we get the papers we will go straight to the police with them and the number but, our relatives said that it probably won't do any good.

Is there anything we can do or are we just waiting for their next move at this point? Because I don't like that idea at all.

At this point, I had enough of my father's shit because he caused us so much harm over the years and now that we are finally trying to climb out of this financial shithole we are in this comes along.

Update:

So, my father's friend said that he has been getting letters like these for a long time now (at the start they were handwritten)

but until recently they were only aimed at him.

Not sure why did they bring us into this but I'm tired of all of this.

Take it to the police, however tell them they need to be transparent in everything to the police someone who is transparent about everything has better standing than someone who has lied and they find out the truth

Hey, just wanted to give an update on the situation.

We finally got to read the letter that was about us and, I'm relieved to say that it doesn't look as bad as we thought.

My father took all the letters to the police and they said that, judging by the writing and the style it's probably a woman and that we shouldn't worry about it.

We were only able to read the letter that was about us because my father hid the other ones which is fishy so they probably tell more about him and his past.

The letter basically says that this person helped them in school because they were pretty stupid back then and that "she" knows about the crimes they've done.

Now, I don't know what he and his friends done in the past but I can for sure say that he isn't a good person so, I wouldn't be surprised.

"She" also referenced the Bible like 90% of the letter so "she" is probably religious though, that doesn't really matter but, it was weird.

At the end of the letter "she" said that "she" attached all the evidence and witnesses to "her" will. (I believe it's called will. it's the note you leave behind if you die)

Ps.: "She" used the word "Pernahajder" which basically means reprobate in Hungarian but, only reeally old people use it so, I'm just hoping that it's just an old woman who is trying to screw with us.