Wii HDMI converter

AdmiralMeowmix

Want to play my gamecube (I play them on a wii since I got one) games again but need a good converter, anyone here have any experience with any or know which ones are good to use? Should I use an AV Component to HDMI converter or a straight up converter/"upscaler"?

Getting the best signal out of Gamecube games is tricky. It was new enough that a digital video signal was considered but not new enough that anyone ever brought into it. And then with the Wii Nintendo famously decided not to go HD so there's no HDMI. Lastly when they did finally go that route it was with the Wii U which dropped support for Gamecube titles.

Probably your best and cheapest option would be to get component cables for your Wii and just see how your TV handles that signal. Unlike composite you can get a fairly decent picture out of a component signal even on a fairly modern TV. If you're not happy with the results, and we're mostly talking about latency, only then I'd look at upscalers. Because you'll want the component cables either way.

Fools think they know everything, experts know they know nothing

There are HDMI converters for the Gamecube usually done by independent people.  From what I've seen they do a bang up job of cleaning up the picture while having the convenience of being HDMI compatible.  That being said the converters do cost a bit usually anywhere from 100 to 150 dollars for good ones.  MetalJesusRocks and AdamKoralik on youtube have gone this route which makes sense since even with expensive component cables for the gamecube less and less TVs are coming with the inputs for them.

Here is the one MetalJesusRocks recommended.  He did note with the version he originally got that a slight jerk of the adapter could short the GCN and the issue was reported and from what I know the creator had revised and fixed the issue.

(links to it are in the video description)

It is important to know that these things will not upscale your resolution from SD to full blown 1080p that is a limitation of the console and NOTHING will do that.  What they will do is clean up the picture quality (from 480i to 480p) and enable progressive scan with compatible titles (as shown on the back of the game its enabled by holding B upon startup).

4 hours ago, LordTaco42 said:

There are HDMI converters for the Gamecube usually done by independent people.  From what I've seen they do a bang up job of cleaning up the picture while having the convenience of being HDMI compatible.  That being said the converters do cost a bit usually anywhere from 100 to 150 dollars for good ones.  MetalJesusRocks and AdamKoralik on youtube have gone this route which makes sense since even with expensive component cables for the gamecube less and less TVs are coming with the inputs for them.

Here is the one MetalJesusRocks recommended.  He did note with the version he originally got that a slight jerk of the adapter could short the GCN and the issue was reported and from what I know the creator had revised and fixed the issue.

(links to it are in the video description)

It is important to know that these things will not upscale your resolution from SD to full blown 1080p that is a limitation of the console and NOTHING will do that.  What they will do is clean up the picture quality (from 480i to 480p) and enable progressive scan with compatible titles (as shown on the back of the game its enabled by holding B upon startup).

Well I ONLY have a Wii that plays gamecube games so I need one for the wii

32 minutes ago, AdmiralMeowmix said:

Well I ONLY have a Wii that plays gamecube games so I need one for the wii

In that case component cables for the wii will work just fine.  There are converters as well on Amazon for real cheap as well and they will put out a 480p signal but they will not upscale to 1080p nothing will do that despite what they advertise

4 hours ago, LordTaco42 said:

In that case component cables for the wii will work just fine.  There are converters as well on Amazon for real cheap as well and they will put out a 480p signal but they will not upscale to 1080p nothing will do that despite what they advertise

i know it wont upscale aha, and I can only use a monitor not a TV there's only HDMI on it

12 hours ago, AdmiralMeowmix said:

i know it wont upscale aha, and I can only use a monitor not a TV there's only HDMI on it

Cool just good to know because alot go around claiming that they upscale lol.

Here is the one I have gets the job done and has a 3.5mm jack to hook up external speakers if you want to.

https://www.amazon.com/converter-adapter-hdmi1080p-connector-Output/dp/B078MGZ56R/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?ie=UTF8&qid=1519403035&sr=8-1-spons&keywords=wii+to+hdmi#customerReviews

Notice how it says full 1080p HD lol.