can you get a virus by simply downloading the file and not opening it?

Elfman

I was downloading something from adfly then another window popped up and automatically downloaded this file called "[File2org]_519042" winrar file, I immediately go to downloads folder and deleted it. If it was a virus would it get into my system without me opening it? I did a full scan with windows defender I know its not the greatest anti virus but their were no threats found.

- running windows 10

Yes, because some of the hackers add the virus to the link itself and when you click on the link to DL the file you can get it.

EDIT: Do a scan to be sure.

A water-cooled mid-tier gaming PC.

You can download the virus, but it will not autorun, unless you have such permissions set, which you shouldn't.

Just to be on the safe side, run a scan with superantispyware or malwarebytes anti-malware.

You will know for sure then.

Oh, and use an ad-blocker, something like uBlock Origin or Ghostery. (or both)

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

There are exploits that rely on the system processing the file even if you don't open it yourself. It doesn't even have to be an executable, think they did this to pdfs at one point. But these are known and get patched, so if you're up to date the risk is minimal.

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

I think these [File2org] files are the same as the [DropFile] ones you used to get from Adfly a couple months ago - harmless unless you run them - and even then they probably only install adware or kindly inform you that you have a virus and you need to call Microsoft support on this totally legitimate phone number.

Still, it's wise to run a scan - and make sure the file isn't still lurking in the recycle bin.

36 minutes ago, Elfman said:

I was downloading something from adfly then another window popped up and automatically downloaded this file called "[File2org]_519042" winrar file, I immediately go to downloads folder and deleted it. If it was a virus would it get into my system without me opening it? I did a full scan with windows defender I know its not the greatest anti virus but their were no threats found.

- running windows 10

Yes, it's possible to be infected if the file was carefully crafted to trigger the payload when Windows simply queries it for the space it takes up on your disk. You can mitigate this best by using an AdBlocker like uBlock Origin on ALL websites, including YouTube and news sites, along with a good behavioral malware scanner, such as the paid MalwareBytes Premium.

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | Koodo - 75GB Data + Data Rollover for $45/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)

1 hour ago, Radium_Angel said:

You can download the virus, but it will not autorun, unless you have such permissions set, which you shouldn't.

Just to be on the safe side, run a scan with superantispyware or malwarebytes anti-malware.

You will know for sure then.

Oh, and use an ad-blocker, something like uBlock Origin or Ghostery. (or both)

alright thanks 

2 hours ago, porina said:

There are exploits that rely on the system processing the file even if you don't open it yourself. It doesn't even have to be an executable, think they did this to pdfs at one point. But these are known and get patched, so if you're up to date the risk is minimal.

That is right and they also do it to images and music.

A water-cooled mid-tier gaming PC.