My aesthetics build (mildly deadpool themed)

evlqueen

This build is essentially being done for fun and to gain some experience with advanced modding techniques and to try some riskier things that I wouldn't want to try on brand new high-end hardware. The aim is to make it pretty, and at least usable as a network storage space via homegroup. It started with an Intel DG41TY motherboard from a system that was slated to be recycled that is a very old, outdated platform. The board was released in Q4 of '08, about a year before the release of Windows 7, so I decided I would build it out to be the best (but balanced) that it can be for Windows 7 64 bit. The only thing from the original pc that made it to the final build is the board itself. Everything else has been replaced with cheap, used, better hardware. This isn't really going to get heavy use, it's mostly for fun and experience doing some of the things that I've seen done on youtube (LTT and others). It is not at all intended to be my (or anyone's) main rig. But the beautiful thing is that I can replace the free/cheap core components and still keep the look I was going for as time passes. This is a work in progress, and I intend to do a custom built vertical mount GPU and maybe some other stuff if I think of it or see it elsewhere and want to try it. Give me your opinions on what I should do if you want! I'll try anything. :P

Here's the parts list:

Intel DG41TY

Intel Xeon X3360

8GB (2x4gb) Super Talent DDR2-800 with G.Skill heat spreaders (seriously, this is only for looks)

ASUS AMD Radeon HD6770 1gb video card

Kingston A400 120GB SSD

Antec Basiq BP500U PSU (from my used parts bin)

Western Digital Blue 1TB storage drive

Toshiba X300 5TB (network share)

SAMA Mxcool MATX case with 3 SAMA 120mm red-lit case fans

LEPA Chopper Advance 120mm case fans

Rosewill ROCC-16003 CPU cooler with dual Noctua NF-B9 redux-1600 92mm fans

"CFIKTE" Amazon-sourced PWM Fan hub with 10 headers, sata powered

Redragon M801 white mouse

ET Robot Mechanical Keyboard with Red Backlit Cherry MX Blue switches

- also ordered a set of white and red double shot keycaps

PCIe X16 Riser cable, 20cm

a throw-away lenovo matx case with low profile expansion card slots

CableMod Basic Cable Extension Kit - 6+6 Pin Series (Red)

CableMod ModFlex Molex Extension 45cm (Red)

CableMod ModFlex Molex to SATA Power 30cm (Red)

SYBA USB 3.0 PCIe X1 low profile card with internal 19 pin header

Rosewill RNX-N250PC2 - Wireless N300 PCI Wi-Fi Adapter

AOC 2243w (which is something I bought years ago and hasn't been in use in about a year)

A heatsink for the southbridge that I ripped off of some other junk motherboard... and applied with thermal tape

1.jpg

This is where I started!

2.jpg

Here's the board removed from it's fuzzy hideyhole

3.jpg

Cat Tax.

4.jpg

Here's some other shtuff that might go in the build (i'm on the fence about the BD-RW)

5.jpg

Prepped for paint (after putting a heatsink on the southbridge)

6.jpg

Prepped the psu for paint (even though it's not really necessary since it's under a shroud but whatever)

7.jpg

Here's what I used to paint the board and psu

8.jpg

Board and psu during painting

9.jpg

This is the dead DDR3 that I ordered off of ebay for $10 simply for the heatsinks. This board takes DDR2.

10.jpg

After painting, before additional work and touch up

11.jpg

Acrylic internal IO cover in the works.

12.jpg

The painting and beautification of the motherboard is DONE

13.jpg

I got an AMD HD 6770 1gb card for $30. Now I gotta paint that too... Maybe just the black plastic...

14.jpg

DONE

15.jpg

The case came in. I put it all together with an old laptop hdd just to test the build. Lots of parts and fabrication work are still left to do, but I wanted to see it put together before I cut the case up.

16.jpg

Here's a photo of it running with the new gpu fan, 8gb of DDR2 with the red heat spreaders, and the SSD that will be in the final build.

Edited by evlqueen
grammar and forgotton parts, put notes between photos.

I should mention, some of the parts on the list in the original post have yet to arrive, but these should be here before the weekend:

Redragon M801 white mouse

ET Robot Mechanical Keyboard with Red LED Backlit Cherry MX Blue switches

- also ordered a set of white and red double shot keycaps

PCIe X16 Riser cable, 20cm

CableMod Basic Cable Extension Kit - 6+6 Pin Series (Red)

CableMod ModFlex Molex Extension 45cm (Red)

CableMod ModFlex Molex to SATA Power 30cm (Red)

SYBA USB 3.0 PCIe X1 low profile card with internal 19 pin header

Rosewill RNX-N250PC2 - Wireless N300 PCI Wi-Fi Adapter

Edited by evlqueen

That.... Is a significantly better looking PC. Though it seems silly that you painted the PSU when it's under a PSU shroud :D 

If you DO go Vertically mounted GPU, dont put it too close to the side panel!!!! The GPU wont get good airflow that way, blower style or open design.

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

10 hours ago, TVwazhere said:

That.... Is a significantly better looking PC. Though it seems silly that you painted the PSU when it's under a PSU shroud :D 

If you DO go Vertically mounted GPU, dont put it too close to the side panel!!!! The GPU wont get good airflow that way, blower style or open design.

Thanks for the advice! I actually did consider this, and since I also need access to my expansion slots, I'm going to convert the case to use low profile slots and do full height slots on my vertical mounts just above the horizontal ones. :) This should give plenty of room for air flow.

Also, I painted the PSU before I even picked out the case haha (but it's still visible from behind, so there's that at least)

A few more parts arrived already! The pciex16 cable, keyboard, mouse, keycaps, and usb 3.0 card are all here.

I installed GTA IV and it seems to run rather well at stock settings, ~45 fps. That's about right for the age of the machine!

17.jpg

I need a rivet gun and a junk atx case but here’s where it stands

076DF8DC-F48D-489A-A9ED-1A92579C2F9E.jpeg

I finally got around to doing my first rivets ever... also used some kind of glue called steel weld, and really it should be called steel glue.. but anyway, I don't think a rivet would have worked at the bottom of the low profile slots, so I used that instead. The toothpicks are to keep tension on them so that the glue adheres well.

20180214_051104150_iOS.jpg

20180214_051037711_iOS.jpg

After failed painting, grinding most of the paint off with a wire wheel, several rounds of rework, and a new approach to the whole vertical gpu mount project, this is where the project stands. Also I’m buying a second case... for reasons (see failed painting, above). I went too fast and used the wrong paint, and now it would take more effort to clean than it’s worth, so I’m only cleaning up and repainting the back panel because that’s where all of my fabrication work is. I will paint the new case, but I’ll take it slow and easy.

20180219_235556516_iOS.jpg20180219_235605416_iOS.thumb.jpg.0422ab5c590cd0bc9363f14d89f58856.jpg

Back side of the case mod. you'll see that one of the full height pci slot covers has an angled piece on it, that's to fill the gap. That slot will probably never be used for anything else. I'm resisting making that line straight because it'll always be behind the gpu anyway.

Edited by evlqueen
added a photo.

I've been waiting impatiently for payday. In my quest to be financially responsible, I decided not to spend any more money on this until I get paid again. I need paint, and I can't think of anything else, except patience maybe.

And now I had to rebuild my main rig as my x79 motherboard (which was on it's way out for a while - ask if you're interested about that) is finally dead. So I spent $1100 on new parts for that which basically makes it new, save for gpu, psu, and case. I'm also using the old drives as ancillary storage. So I'll get back to this build shortly, but no updates this week!

Since it's relevant now (as it delayed the aesthetics build) my main rig now has these specs:

Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV ATX
-NEW Asus ROG Crosshair VI Hero
-NEW AMD Ryzen 1800X
Coolermaster Masterliquid 240 AIO
MSI Radeon RX 580 8GB
-NEW 32GB G.SKILL Trident Z RGB DDR4-3000
-NEW Western Digital Black NVMe SSD, 256GB <--boot drive
Samsung EVO 950 SSD, 500GB <--some of my steam library
Toshiba X300 5TB HDD <--the rest of my steam library and all my other stuff
RAIDMAX RX-1000AP-S PSU
LG 34" 21:9 panel (LG 34UM59-P)20180301_024226247_iOS.thumb.jpg.d9a72f54c98328c474f78dda7dd721dc.jpg
Samsung 27" curved panel (LC27F396FHNXZA)

Logitech G703, and G810
Cablemod Extension Kit 2x6pin series Carbon (not here yet)

SilverStone RGB LED Light Strip 2 Pack (not here yet)
Phanteks "replacement" tempered glass side panel for Enthoo EVOLV ATX TG case (not here yet)

20180301_195148817_iOS.jpg

20180301_024226247_iOS.jpg

Edited by evlqueen
i repeated myself. lol

• 6 months later...

Since this was just an extra computer, and during the time I've been building it, my girlfriend and I got more serious, I decided to give it to her. Since she's a huge fan of Harley Quinn and the computer fits well with the color scheme of the more classic Harley Quinn, we changed it to that theme. We also changed it to have an MSI 2gb R7 370 video card, which is a decent upgrade and fits the theme well, and she didn't want it painted. We got a Harley Pixel Pal from gamestop and I wired it into the power supply so that it lights when the machine is powered on. We tried a 28" monitor for a while, then we switched back to a 21" monitor, but added a second one to it. This machine is complete (I never did paint the back panel, but screw it).

She loves it but is already craving more power. I love creating PC gaming monsters, haha. We will pay off what is due on my build and then make one for her. She really wants RGB and all of the fancy stuff that I have. I set the expectation that I'll be buying myself upgrades and giving her my components for her new build, and the first step there is a video card. I'll be patiently waiting until I can afford something beefier than my RX 580. After that, we'll start buying components to make a nice mid-range midtower Ryzen B450 build. She already knows which case she wants (like I said, I've created a monster).

When she's done with this, I'm not entirely sure what we'll do with it, but I'd like to imagine we just use it as a guest gaming pc/media server, because WEFANCY.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg