[Build Log] Silent Minimalist - CaseLabs SMA8(a) WC'd Threadripper Style

caselabs-zeus-2.0-magnum-sma8-a-revision-495.jpg

**Disclaimer** - The above pic of the CaseLabs case is not my build.  Though it is gorgeous :D.

First post here on the LTT forums (mainstay over at OCN).  Thought I'd introduce myself and get to know everyone over here by starting my new build log.  This is my first build since 2014 (see my Puff's Punisher S3 Build).  I was forced to sell that build shortly after building it due to a sudden move and I've been itching for a new build ever since.  Well, today (or in a month when my SMA8 rev. A arrives) is the day.

This build will be my daily workstation that focuses on VM's, mining, and a little gaming on the side.  So a little bit for everyone.  For these purposes I've chosen to build around the Threadripper 1950x and x399 platform.  Below is a list of components I've ordered/will be ordering and it will be updated regularly along with images as parts arrive.  Feel free to chime in to discuss the physical components or the daily uses for this build as there are many.  Links are to where I purchased these items though the prices have changed on some since I purchased them.

Workstation Components

WaterCooling

The goal of this water loop is to get as silent of cooling as possible.  I'll be using ultra low speed fans and doing two loops.

Monitor

Dell U3818DW 38" Ultrawide 3840x1600 Monitor (yes not a gaming monitor, but then again I game maybe once/twice a month)

I've heard there are issues using SW3 PWM fans with the Aquaero controller.  Can anyone with experience comment on this? 

5 minutes ago, Bajantechnician said:

That monitor looks pretty sweet

I already love it.  I never could make the switch from dual monitors two a single ultrawide because I felt the 34" wasn't big enough.  I think 38" is the perfect sweet spot.

3 hours ago, IamSpartacus said:

I already love it.  I never could make the switch from dual monitors two a single ultrawide because I felt the 34" wasn't big enough.  I think 38" is the perfect sweet spot.

ive got a 26' right now. Id love to switch to 2 ultrawides and a 37 or so for a 3 monitor setup

Thinking about swapping the SW 3's for NB eLoops 400-1500RPM fans.  Thoughts?

Ok, swapped the SW3's for NB eLoops.

Here's what I'm thinking for loop order/config.  Any tubing you don't see will be on the backside of the case including all tubing going to/from the res/pump combos (except the one tub coming from the bottom GPU).

OPpAKnQ.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Man this has been a slow moving build.  Just hard to find time these days to work on it.  But I'm finally getting there.  Fittings just came in last night.  Here are some build pics thus far.

Empty Case Pics

7bleAnj.jpg

IhkQlTD.jpg

y5Z4Wzy.jpg

ZxHWMAO.jpgXKfVoQ2.jpg

eK8meGB.jpg8LR77qb.jpg

Alright, major progress on the build today.  Got as far as running some tube but unfortunately ran out of a few key fittings needed to continue so I'll have to wait till midweek for those to come in before I can finish.  All in all, I'm getting real close.  Check progress pics here but below is a few teasers.

0B0rlZ9.jpg

xln2KWm.jpg

CrJsP8n.jpg

8 hours ago, IamSpartacus said:

*snip*

havent been on in a whiles LOL. looking really good so far! dual 1080tis look really good haha

• 2 weeks later...

Alright, spent the past week or so running Mayhems Blitz in the loops and then draining and flushing with distilled 4-5 times and then testing temps with straight distilled water.  I just filled with coolant last night.  Still waiting for my custom sleeved cables and some more coolant (as you can see I ran out).  Here are a few snapshots for now but will have a ton more pics once the build is completed and cable managed.

JJMwcqk.jpg

IZwywbl.jpg

GjQBHSv.jpg

a1T8Z9n.jpg

Build is complete.  Will be takings lots of photos this weekend but these are a few I snapped last night.

aKal9ts.jpg

4FGlxHy.jpg

sW32tqT.jpg

e0HRwTm.jpg

xeh45XT.jpg

are you puffin you have to be, the build is identical. Buy some cheap $10 white nylon/silk and put that in front of your light source, soften up the light so theres no hard shadows then snap those pics, it will work wonders.  A nice pic can really make a huge difference.  I just wish i had a dslr....

I love your build, i see you didnt go punisher. did you spray paint that gloss black? The bottom? looks good