is pc gaming dying?

warzkaz

Cryptocurrency bubble still hasn't burst and who knows when it will, no graphic Card manufacturer is willing to increase production because of the huge uncertainty.
in past few weeks there were some attempts by Nvidia and AMD to normalize pricing
by instructing retailers to restrict the sale of gpus to two per customer  but there are many workarounds and the only way for decrease prices is by increasing the supply
if this goes for another 5 years.... 

Amd phenom ii x4 955 Asus crosshair iv formula Kingston hyperx fury 8GB 1600mhz ASUS Radeon R9 280X DirectCU II
Cooler master haf xb evo Antec 750w 500gb wd black BenQ gw2760hs Samsung 850 EVO 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 

Thing is wait like a year or two and you will see that the market will be flooded with 2nd hand graphics cards. Mining is dying by the day because of those who read an article and thought "Hey i'll do that". There has been many fake coins, and it's incredibly harder to mine the most popular currencies. Wait until ethereum or Zcash crash and many will be done. Also right now DDR4 memory and NAND are in too little supply due to many reasons, so yeah wait a few months and all will be back to normal.
And as @wonderforest said, PC gaming has never been so popular.

Side note: I don't see how it is dying at all, looking at one component's supply doesn't mean that all of those who own a PC or want to own a PC will suddenly get uninterested. Puting both pc gamers and miners in the same group is quite dumb dude.

Here's a related video, "Is Cryptocurrency Mining Killing Gaming?"

If you want a counter-argument, go read the comments below.

Fan Comparisons          F@H          PCPartPicker         Analysis of Market Trends (Coming soon? Never? Who knows!)

Designing a mITX case. Working on aluminum prototypes.

Open for intern / part-time. Good at maths, CAD and airflow stuff. Dabbled with Python.

Please fill out this form! It helps a ton! https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/841400-the-poll-to-end-all-polls-poll/

43 minutes ago, warzkaz said:

f this goes for another 5 years.... 

RAM will be fixed by 2019/2020 (1-2 years) 

Every Pascal graphics card will become dirt cheap when Volta launches in about 3-7 months, the mining difficulty will spike and thousands of cards will flood the market

Want to custom loop?  Ask me more if you are curious

i would response in a neutral way

If Console starts to take modular and upgradable approach this would be a threat to PC Industry*

*At least if that happens who would give them the SoC for the consoles

"Make it future proof for some years at least, don't buy "only slightly better" stuff that gets outdated 1 year, that's throwing money away" @pipoawas

-Frequencies DON'T represent everything and in many cases that is true (referring to Individual CPU Clocks).

Mention me if you want to summon me sooner or later

Spoiler

My head on 2019 :

Note 10, S10, Samsung becomes Apple, Zen 2, 3700X, Renegade X lol

43 minutes ago, Ordinarily_Greater said:

i would response in a neutral way

If Console starts to take modular and upgradable approach this would be a threat to PC Industry*

*At least if that happens who would give them the SoC for the consoles

you will never have that because they need to control the hardware and software to prevent exploits that will lead to piracy

7 minutes ago, asus killer said:

you will never have that because they need to control the hardware and software to prevent exploits that will lead to piracy

well good to hear that....

Mining will be gone, just be patient

"Make it future proof for some years at least, don't buy "only slightly better" stuff that gets outdated 1 year, that's throwing money away" @pipoawas

-Frequencies DON'T represent everything and in many cases that is true (referring to Individual CPU Clocks).

Mention me if you want to summon me sooner or later

Spoiler

My head on 2019 :

Note 10, S10, Samsung becomes Apple, Zen 2, 3700X, Renegade X lol

Not the dev's priority is what i'd say

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

I just helped 3 of my friends move to pc gaming and they all love it. I think it's far from dying, in fact it's probably growing.

Just at the minute mining has hit gamers hard. 

I7 4790K-----ASUS Z97-A-----GTX 1080-----CORSAIR H105-----CORSAIR VENGEANCE PRO 16GB-----ASUS PG278Q-----LOGITECH G900-----MASTERKEYS PRO L-----Sennheiser GSX 1000

• 4 weeks later...

it pop at some point or people will have to increase the amount of card required to a point were most people wont be able to afford to do it any more  

old topic ok.... just gotta say this...

there's not enough facepalms in the world for this topic.... Not only for the topic start but also the reactions. "wait until ethereum or Zcash crash"? really? Let me tell you what happens when they crash. A new coin will be created and this whole thing just starts all over again. That's what cryptocurrency is. 1 coin is to difficult to mine so they just create a new one and keep on going. IMO this is what makes this whole cryptomining so stupid. The only way it stops is when bitcoin crashes and goes away.... dont hold your breath...

I have no signature

bought my first gaming pc in 1999, replaced the tnt with a GeForce 2 ultra, upgraded the graphics card pretty much every year since then

if I had a graphics card for every time I read... is pc gaming dead or dying... on a forum

I would have a lot more graphics cards

PC gaming isn't dying, but it needs to deal with the cryptocurrency mining problem, and quickly.  Paying double for a GPU isn't a huge problem in the space of several months; it's a big problem if it lasts for a year or more.

As it stands, the PC gaming community sometimes overestimates its importance -- you still see people who act as if a game lives or dies on PC support, or who'll insist a computer is doomed to failure because it doesn't have a dedicated GPU.  But the reality is that most dedicated gamers are console gamers; most PC owners have little to no interest in gaming.  We need to stop acting as if PC gaming is perpetually 5 seconds away from being the dominant platform, because it's not and might never be.

Mining doesn't affect PC gaming. It only affects those in the DIY community who want a high-end GPU. You can still get a high-end gaming PC for a reasonable price, you just have to buy it pre-built.

Edited by M.Yurizaki

Well, with the lootbox, MOBA games, aggressive forms of microtransactions, pay to win games, and gamers in general just continue to validate bad business practice becoming the norm, I've find myself going to the library more often to read books on tax payer's dimes rather than buying computer games, PC Gaming is dying to me, because I simply switch my hobby to reading books.

As for PC Gaming Dying in general, it is a big fat NO, people are still buying up computer games much more than before thanks to micro-transactions, GPU demand spike seems to be temporary on all accounts and Nvidia/AMD even announce that they're ramping up GPU production though we won't see any relief until at least Q3 of this year. So gaming industry won't be affected that much, because GPU lasts quite a while for at least 3 years. If the GPU price triple after 3 years from now, then maybe yes, PC gaming would be affected.

• 2 weeks later...

It’s not dying at all and no where near it, but it is perhaps going through a little bit of a depression atm due to insane gpu/ram prices on the hardware side of things like others have mentioned, and the release of the Xbox One X has thrown out a worthy console alternative for some, even those who are now taking a break from the  PCmasterace.

Game developers also also have been making a lot of poor decisions with loot crates and not properly addressing hackers and other cheaters that still run rampant in PUBG, CSGO, and Grand Theft Auto V right now.

I would hope so, been feeding it anti freeze for months 

I'd hazzard to guess that the Hardware market has a very small impact on PC gaming. but thats just my .02, how many new systems are built with the latest gen stuff just for gaming? not very many, most pc gamers are updating older rigs, or running older rigs, or a mix of all.