Travel Plans - LTX 2018

Jtalk4456

I am planning on going to this years LTX convention. But my wife doesn't like me travelling alone in this day and age, can't say I blame her. The problem is I don't know anyone willing or able to go to Canada with me for a few days. I am near the Charlotte, NC area and hope there are a few fans looking to also go to this years LTX. If someone from that area wants to go we can meet at the airport and travel together and save some money that way,m along with appeasing the worries of my wife. Charlotte is a big city so hopefully I can find someone who's going this year. Please let me know if you are going and in my area!

Insanity is not the absence of sanity, but the willingness to ignore it for a purpose. Chaos is the result of this choice. I relish in both.

Hahaha, what? Your wife won't let you travel alone? Oh dear...

Also, you're going to Canada, not some third world country where there's thousands of murders a year.

I guess as an American you've gotta watch out a little more xD

In all serious though, you have nothing to worry about. Even the sketchiest part of downtown isn't bad, and really, you wouldn't be going down there anyway. The only problem you might have is getting lost; Langley is more of a rural area, not a city.

Welcome to the forum, hope you find a travel companion :)

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Ahh man, I'm not too far (relatively) outside the Charlotte-Mecklenburg but I have no clue if I'm going up to LTX. I'd love to, but I'd have to see what work is going to be like around that time, and even then it's not too likely I'd be able to get off. 

Main System: Phobos

AMD Ryzen 7 2700 (8C/16T), ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 16GB G.SKILL Aegis DDR4 3000MHz, AMD Radeon RX 570 4GB (XFX), 960GB Crucial M500, 2TB Seagate BarraCuda, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations/macOS Catalina

Secondary System: York

Intel Core i7-2600 (4C/8T), ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3, 16GB GEIL Enhance Corsa DDR3 1600MHz, Zotac GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1GB, 240GB ADATA Ultimate SU650, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

Older File Server: Yet to be named

Intel Pentium 4 HT (1C/2T), Intel D865GBF, 3GB DDR 400MHz, ATI Radeon HD 4650 1GB (HIS), 80GB WD Caviar, 320GB Hitachi Deskstar, Windows XP Pro SP3, Windows Server 2003 R2

54 minutes ago, Jtalk4456 said:

I am planning on going to this years LTX convention. But my wife doesn't like me travelling alone in this day and age, can't say I blame her. The problem is I don't know anyone willing or able to go to Canada with me for a few days. I am near the Charlotte, NC area and hope there are a few fans looking to also go to this years LTX. If someone from that area wants to go we can meet at the airport and travel together and save some money that way,m along with appeasing the worries of my wife. Charlotte is a big city so hopefully I can find someone who's going this year. Please let me know if you are going and in my area!

Very strange and odd that your wife doesnt allow a grown adult to travel alone. Just dont pick up hitch hikers.

Secondly I would never cross an international border with someone I did not know very very well. Too many problems could arise, like a weeder committing a federal crime, "Oh but officer its medicinal (or its legal, or I do it recreationally)" "Dont take me to the holding tanks officer, its legal" Ka Ching or another is brass knuckles "Oh i didnt know it was under my seat officer" or the officer swiping the pipe to find cocaine "But officer theres nothing in it" DENIED ENTRY! Another "Oh but officer I didnt know warrants for arrest were out on him" Maybe there is a false bottom on that LTT strangers luggage. "Oh officer its not mine" JAILED UNTIL COURT! Both of you!

1000000000000000 times safer to drive yourself in your own car, you think becaue "Oh he looks harmless" that those types dont do crimes?

@dizmoit's a scary world we live in. Also I said she didn't WANT me to travel alone, I never said she wouldn't let me if it came to that. She would PREFER having me travel with someone. Also I would prefer it as it is more fun that way than being alone and it has the potential to save some cost

@Jamiec1130 Just let me know if it can work out for you. last time it was a firday-sunday affair, so if you ahve a m-f job it's not much time off. hope you can make it

@Zic05by "in this day and age", i meant "in the world we're living in", not my age

Insanity is not the absence of sanity, but the willingness to ignore it for a purpose. Chaos is the result of this choice. I relish in both.

2 minutes ago, Jtalk4456 said:

PREFER having me travel with someone.

Family or friends, not a stranger.

What a gamble you are taking.

Just spend the extra bit of gas money traveling alone. Thats your underlying issue! Money!

1 minute ago, Canada EH said:

Money!

Reasons I didn't go last year and probably won't go this year :/

As much as I'd love to go, I just don't have the funds...

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

@Crunchy Dragon - Best to save your money and travel to California where the beaches are warm, the weather is awesome and the women are hot and gorgeous. I wouldnt waste money to visit Vancouver and its sorrounding cities. Its a lay over for Vancouver Island or heading South of the border.

@Canada EH The idea is making friends, not continuing to be strangers for the next 6 months and then getting on a plane together... why does it seem making friends is such a foreign concept? i thought branching out and finding friends with similar interests would be a welcome idea to many people. Apparently not

Just now, Jtalk4456 said:

@Canada EH The idea is making friends, not continuing to be strangers for the next 6 months and then getting on a plane together... why does it seem making friends is such a foreign concept? i thought branching out and finding friends with similar interests would be a welcome idea to many people. Apparently not

But that involves talking to people and...... interacting with them!

Like, who would want contact in close proximity to another human?!?

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

Just now, Lurick said:

But that involves talking to people and...... interacting with them!

Like, who would want contact in close proximity to another human?!?

Reasons we're all here on these forums instead of talking to our families xD

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

@Crunchy Dragon Sorry to hear that, i hope that situation improves for you!

@Canada EH I'm not interested in vancouver, I'm interested in LTT and technology, which I hope everyone on this forum is

Just now, Crunchy Dragon said:

Reasons we're all here on these forums instead of talking to our families xD

That's right!

You might end up enjoying their company or something *shudder* :P

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

9 minutes ago, Jtalk4456 said:

So your flying then?

See I thought you were driving.

Flying is different then driving, are you gunna let your "new friend" put items in your luggage. Just Kiddin'

If you are flying, then your gunna rent a car in Vancouver then right?

Which brings us right back to my previous posts. Far less risky then crossing an international border in a car with a stranger. Still the risk is there! A higher risk because you dont know the city at all, which would be a higher chance of breaking a law and getting pulled over. That however is somewhat of an acceptable risk.

11 minutes ago, Jtalk4456 said:

@Crunchy Dragon Sorry to hear that, i hope that situation improves for you!

@Canada EH I'm not interested in vancouver, I'm interested in LTT and technology, which I hope everyone on this forum is

Well LTT is in the Vancouver area!

You gotta land in Vancouver, then rent a car or take transit and make your way to your hotel room wherever that is, check in for how ever many days you are staying. Maybe bunk with your new LTT friend you flew with or met at the airport. Then go to LTT.

10 minutes ago, Jtalk4456 said:

@dizmoit's a scary world we live in. Also I said she didn't WANT me to travel alone, I never said she wouldn't let me if it came to that. She would PREFER having me travel with someone. Also I would prefer it as it is more fun that way than being alone and it has the potential to save some cost

@Jamiec1130 Just let me know if it can work out for you. last time it was a firday-sunday affair, so if you ahve a m-f job it's not much time off. hope you can make it

@Zic05by "in this day and age", i meant "in the world we're living in", not my age

It's scary if you choose to let fear rule your life.

I get wanting to travel with someone, but meeting someone online is just as dangerous as traveling to another country, if not more so.

Just seemed like an odd thing to say ;) Seriously though, most people in Langley are super nice. Now, traveling through Surrey on the other hand is a little different. I wouldn't wander around there too much.

8 minutes ago, Canada EH said:

Family or friends, not a stranger.

What a gamble you are taking.

Just spend the extra bit of gas money traveling alone. Thats your underlying issue! Money!

I imagine since he's coming from that far south he'd be flying.

6 minutes ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

Reasons I didn't go last year and probably won't go this year :/

As much as I'd love to go, I just don't have the funds...

Haha, I thought about going since I lived there at the time, but I'm glad I didn't.

After seeing the film footage, I'd probably have felt about as comfortable as if I'd walked into a Chucky Cheese. AKA, walk in, look around, walk right back out.

4 minutes ago, Canada EH said:

@Crunchy Dragon - Best to save your money and travel to California where the beaches are warm, the weather is awesome and the women are hot and gorgeous. I wouldnt waste money to visit Vancouver and its sorrounding cities. Its a lay over for Vancouver Island or heading South of the border.

There are gorgeous women everywhere :P I worked with a Marine who said Vancouver had by far the most beautiful women of anywhere he'd be posted (California, Hawaii, Germany). Vancouver is also incredibly fit. I think you view of Vancouver is terribly skewed :P

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

Spoiler

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

Spoiler

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

@Lurick Who says I WANT human contact XD. I just prefer it over being completely alone in another country thousands of miles away from anyone who knows me and can help me.

Just now, Jtalk4456 said:

@Lurick Who says I WANT human contact XD. I just prefer it over being completely alone in another country thousands of miles away from anyone who knows me and can help me.

I know, just a little fun :P

I would go but not sure I'll have time this year with work :(

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

5 minutes ago, dizmo said:

I get wanting to travel with someone, but meeting someone online is just as dangerous as traveling to another country, if not more so.

Yup

I imagine since he's coming from that far south he'd be flying.

Thats what he typed.

There are gorgeous women everywhere :P I worked with a Marine who said Vancouver

Vancouver as a city, aaargh! been there countless times.

I have traveled to many places around the world. Alone sometimes, with friends and families other times. I can think of many places to spend my money and have a good time the van. Van is good for a visit or two, seeing the sights, granville, and where are the bars are, that bridge, gastown, stanley park, food trucks,

Theres the premise of meeting new people at LTT expo.

Then theres the premise of traveling with strangers, whether its driving together thousands of miles and crossing the border with each other, flying together in the same airplane, or meeting them the airport because you took 2 different planes, then theres bunking together at the motel.

No plan, just flying and making friends.

1 hour ago, Jtalk4456 said:

If someone from that area wants to go we can meet at the airport and travel together and save some money

1 hour ago, Jtalk4456 said:

I don't know anyone willing or able to go to Canada with me for a few days.

I would say its less risky flying, bunking together in a motel/hotel with stranger I dunno about.  I have done Hostels all over the world, much cheaper, you may want to look into that. They range from $40 at the Hostel International. I suggest staying away from Cambie Hostel, bar underneath is loud! Any motel is $100 min, be lucky to find $70 motel. Maybe you get lucky. Dont forget AirBNB, lots of cheap rooms there, $20 for a closet to $35 room, might be an option. Campgrounds are cheap!

I am all for 100% meeting new people and connecting with people. LTX is the perfect opportunity to do that.

Plus you can see the sights. And check HVan off the destinations list.

I'd like to reiterate and address a few discrepanies.

I will not be traveling with a stranger! That is dangerous and stupid. I will find someone from my surrounding area who has similar interests, make friends out of them over the next 6 months and then travel with my friend. I am well aware of stranger danger and implying i want to meet for the first time at the airport is misleading.

I will NOT be driving the roughly 2930 miles from NC to BC. I will be flying, and depending on the comfort/preferences of my new friend we could share a hotel room to save money and share the costs of travel. I'm not hitchhiking 300 miles or trying to just in the car with strangers here.

My wife is not worried I will get mugged or stabbed on the streets of Vancouver while attending a tech convention, but anything can happen in this world. If i get hit by a car and need medical attention and i'm 3000 miles from my wife or parents, or heaven forbid I lose my phone, it is a relief for her and me to know there is someone who can not only help me if something happens, but call my family and let them know.

I am NOT going to vancouver to sightsee or look at beautiful women. If that's your sole purpose in traveling that's your prerogative but I am going because I want to spend time with my favorite youtubers, engrossed in technology that makes me excited for the future of computers and what I can build

As for human contact, I am married with 4 kids, human contact is inevitable for me at this point. It is a means to an end and the end is a tech convention 

lets please keep this thread about people seriously wanting to go, not just wanting to judge someone's travel intentions here

and when i said meet at the airport, i didn't mean we would talk until that day

9 minutes ago, Canada EH said:

Vancouver as a city, aaargh! been there countless times.

I have traveled to many places around the world. Alone sometimes, with friends and families other times. I can think of many places to spend my money and have a good time the van. Van is good for a visit or two, seeing the sights, granville, and where are the bars are, that bridge, gastown, stanley park, food trucks,

Haha, it's just funny to consider it simply a hub to the island in particular. You can do basically the same things in the GVRD. Save surfing in Tofino, but Squamish isn't far from Vancouver at all and has top notch windsurfing.

You're right though, I can think of many many other places I'd rather fly to. I find flying to LTX foolish as well, but priorities I guess. *shrug*

I'd go more to meet fellow forum members than anything LTX provides.

5 minutes ago, Jtalk4456 said:

lets please keep this thread about people seriously wanting to go, not just wanting to judge someone's travel intentions here

and when i said meet at the airport, i didn't mean we would talk until that day

I think the human contact comments were in good fun, not serious :P

Someone who's interested in going won't skip replying because of the thread content. If anything it's keeping you on the first page, you should be grateful ;)

Spoiler

Spoiler

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler