What's the point of overclocking?

Go to solution Solved by !WhoAmI!,
1 minute ago, M.Yurizaki said:

Overclocking offers a linear increase in speed. If you overclock the processor by 10%, the theoretical performance improves by 10%. The neat thing about the i7-2600K is it's fairly easy to get to 4.6-4.8 GHz turbo on air cooling. This is between 20-25%, which is usually considered significant.

Though, heat and power consumption also increase linearly.

1 minute ago, Cazan said:

by overclocking your cpu you can get increased perfomance and achieve greater speeds as others said , but you need to have a motherboard that can handle onverclocking too :) 

12 minutes ago, WereCat said:

Overclocking -> increasing the performance at the cost of heat and power consumption and most likely a noise as well (in load)

Thanks for the responses guys, this made me understand it more!

I've never fully understanded what is overclocking. My dad and I want to know this type of stuff because he has an i7 2600k that can be overclocked, but he wants to know before-hand what are the benefits of overclocking.

by overclocking your cpu you can get increased perfomance and achieve greater speeds as others said , but you need to have a motherboard that can handle onverclocking too :) 

Overclocking offers a linear increase in speed. If you overclock the processor by 10%, the theoretical performance improves by 10%. The neat thing about the i7-2600K is it's fairly easy to get to 4.6-4.8 GHz turbo on air cooling. This is between 20-25%, which is usually considered significant.

1 minute ago, M.Yurizaki said:

1 minute ago, Cazan said:

12 minutes ago, WereCat said:

Overclocking -> increasing the performance at the cost of heat and power consumption and most likely a noise as well (in load)

1 minute ago, !WhoAmI! said:

Cool, be sure you know what you are doing before you do any of it though.

free performance so you get some more FPS.

Ex frequent user here, still check in here occasionally. I stopped being a weeb in 2018 lol

For a reply please quote or  @Eduard the weeb me :D

Xayah Main in Lol, trying to learn Drums and guitar. Know how to film do photography, can do basic video editing

4 hours ago, Max_Settings said:

Cool, be sure you know what you are doing before you do any of it though.

Yeah, I just realised you can't overclock on factory set motherboards like gateway because its locked basically. But hey this type of information is good.

Overclocking is the process of voiding your warranty and decreasing system stability in exchange for an occasional slight increase in response. :P

If you're interested in a product please download and read the manual first.

Don't forget to tag or quote in your reply if you want me to know you've answered or have another question.

7 minutes ago, Eduard the weeb said:

free performance so you get some more FPS.

not just fps, speed in general

i5 6600k and GTX 1070 but I play 1600-900. 1440p BABY!

Still, don't put too much faith in my buying decisions. xD 

1 minute ago, YedZed said:

not just fps, speed in general

yeah

Ex frequent user here, still check in here occasionally. I stopped being a weeb in 2018 lol

For a reply please quote or  @Eduard the weeb me :D

Xayah Main in Lol, trying to learn Drums and guitar. Know how to film do photography, can do basic video editing

15 minutes ago, keskparane said:

Overclocking is the process of voiding your warranty and decreasing system stability in exchange for an occasional slight increase in response. :P

That is not overclocking, that is messing with stuff without proper testing.

36 minutes ago, !WhoAmI! said:

I've never fully understanded what is overclocking. My dad and I want to know this type of stuff because he has an i7 2600k that can be overclocked, but he wants to know before-hand what are the benefits of overclocking.

MOAR POWAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

"Sulit" (adj.) something that is worth it

i7 8700K 4.8Ghz delidded / Corsair H100i V2 / Asus Strix Z370-F / G.Skill Trident Z RGB 16GB 3200 / EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW3 / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q

Samsung 850 EVO 500GB & 250GB - Crucial MX300 M.2 525GB / Fractal Design Define S / Corsair K70 MX Reds / Logitech G502 / Beyerdynamic DT770 250Ohm

SMSL SD793II AMP/DAC - Schiit Magni 3 / PCPP

Old Rig

i5 2500k 4.5Ghz | Gigabyte Z68XP-UD3P | Zotac GTX 980 AMP! Extreme | Crucial Ballistix Tactical 16GB 1866MHz

2 minutes ago, WereCat said:

That is not overclocking, that is messing with stuff without proper testing.

So it doesn't void your warranty and the CPU gets a higher tdp?

Don't forget to tag or quote in your reply if you want me to know you've answered or have another question.

Just now, keskparane said:

So it doesn't void your warranty and the CPU gets a higher tdp?

It does void the warranty but how will they find out you were OCing if you won't tell them?

The i7-2600K can overclock very high relative to its stock frequencies, but at the cost of added power and dissipation of that power (in heat). Your cooling and power supply, in other words, may not be up to the challenge....assuming your motherboard were capable of it.

Neither of those issues is hard to solve though. A good air or non-custom water CPU cooler is <$100 and good power supplies can be found in that range.

Is it worth it? Depends on how soon you want or feel a need to upgrade. If the computer as-is, without overclocking, is doing everything you need it to do, then no, I wouldn't bother.

18 minutes ago, WereCat said:

It does void the warranty but how will they find out you were OCing if you won't tell them?

So are you saying that overclocking may also involve fraud?

26 minutes ago, keskparane said:

no

58 minutes ago, keskparane said:

Its not fraud, nothing illegal, you buy it and you do what ever you want.

But, warranty doesn't cover anything other that the factory speed.
If you OC and try to get a replacement, they won't give you IF they can prove it was OC'd.

As long as no physical damage, no one can make any judgement.

But then again dead CPU is super rare.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

2 hours ago, !WhoAmI! said:

Because factory clock is just artificial limitation made by the chip maker.

Inside just the same. A lower / cheaper clocked can potentially have the same clock speed or faster as the most expensive one.

A $300 i7 can be as fast as $1000 one with a bit of tweaking.

Well thats the reason of OCing in the early days.

Now people OC to get the highest mhz possible, and its easier now, almost all motherboard brand supported this practice.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

I don't want this to get serious. I was just having fun. Although I believe it to be factual.

5 minutes ago, SupaKomputa said:

Its not fraud, nothing illegal, you buy it and you do what ever you want.

But, warranty doesn't cover anything other that the factory speed.
If you OC and try to get a replacement, they won't give you IF they can prove it was OC'd.

As long as no physical damage, no one can make any judgement.

But then again dead CPU is super rare.

My understanding is that it is fraud to deliberately mislead. Not that fraud is legal if you don't get caught. And I only raised it in relation to overclocking because of

1 hour ago, WereCat said:

To me claiming a warranty on a product where you would decline to represent the truth is a deliberate misrepresentation of the truth.

19 minutes ago, keskparane said:

To me claiming a warranty on a product where you would decline to represent the truth is a deliberate misrepresentation of the truth.

Tell that to the motherboard manufactures that OC your CPU automatically out of the box.

39 minutes ago, keskparane said:

I don't want this to get serious. I was just having fun. Although I believe it to be factual.

My understanding is that it is fraud to deliberately mislead. Not that fraud is legal if you don't get caught. And I only raised it in relation to overclocking because of

Okay...

19 minutes ago, WereCat said:

Tell that to the motherboard manufactures that OC your CPU automatically out of the box.

Yes all the motherboard maker already give you this warning in the manuals. So the choice is yours to make.