US Tax W2 HELP

mbryant
Go to solution Solved by bimmerman,

Ask an accountant who specializes in personal income tax if you want an answer you can rely on if/when the IRS comes calling.

Dunno why I'm coming here but, 

I'm filing my taxes ( I live in the US) and my W-2 says in the "Wages, tips, and other comp" box that I made roughly $1700 more than what my salay was in 2017. Anyone have any thoughts as to why?

System: i7 4790K, Hyper 212 EVO, 16 GB Crucial Ballistix, GTX 1070 Super clocked, MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition, Corsair RM 750, Corsair 750D (with 2 additional 140mm NZXT fans up top for exhaust.) 

Over time, tips, and/or other compensation. 

Or your salary is ~$1700 more than you thought. The W2 reflects what you actually earned during the calendar year.

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro

1 hour ago, mbryant said:

Dunno why I'm coming here but, 

I'm filing my taxes ( I live in the US) and my W-2 says in the "Wages, tips, and other comp" box that I made roughly $1700 more than what my salay was in 2017. Anyone have any thoughts as to why?

Like stated overtime, tips if you qualify, bonus's and such. Maybe your company gave you a raise and you didnt know about it. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

On 1/22/2018 at 8:14 AM, Real_PhillBert said:

Over time, tips, and/or other compensation. 

Or your salary is ~$1700 more than you thought. The W2 reflects what you actually earned during the calendar year.

So it shouldn't be a cause for concern? Like I looked at a pay stub from within the last 6 months and my stub said $32,000 yrly as my salary.

System: i7 4790K, Hyper 212 EVO, 16 GB Crucial Ballistix, GTX 1070 Super clocked, MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition, Corsair RM 750, Corsair 750D (with 2 additional 140mm NZXT fans up top for exhaust.) 

1 hour ago, mbryant said:

So it shouldn't be a cause for concern? Like I looked at a pay stub from within the last 6 months and my stub said $32,000 yrly as my salary.

Why don't you just take ALL your pay stubs and add them up and do the math yourself?

https://www.irs.com/articles/tax-form-w2-instructions

From the IRS themselves:

Box 1: Wages, tips, other compensation ― This box must show the total taxable wages, tips, and other compensation (e.g., bonuses and group-term life insurance benefits) that the employee was paid during the year, before any payroll deductions.

2023 BOINC Pentathlon Event

F@H & BOINC Installation on Linux Guide

My CPU Army: 5800X, E5-2670V3, 1950X, 5960X J Batch, 10750H *lappy

My GPU Army:3080Ti, 960 FTW @ 1551MHz, RTX 2070 Max-Q *lappy

My Console Brigade: Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, PS2 Fatty, Xbox One S, Xbox One X

My Tablet Squad: iPad Air 5th Gen, Samsung Tab S, Nexus 7 (1st gen)

3D Printer Unit: Prusa MK3S, Prusa Mini, EPAX E10

VR Headset: Quest 2

Hardware lost to Kevdog's Law of Folding

OG Titan, 5960X, ThermalTake BlackWidow 850 Watt PSU

On 1/23/2018 at 2:06 PM, AshleyAshes said:

Why don't you just take ALL your pay stubs and add them up and do the math yourself?

I did, all of my checks only varied by a few cents each period, like 2 or 3 cents. 

1 minute ago, mbryant said:

I did, all of my checks only varied by a few cents each period, like 2 or 3 cents. 

Then I'd start by asking Payroll.