2.1 Speaker setup

Hey guys, I'm thinking about buying a 2.1 speaker setup for my room. Now it doesn't have to be the best quality as it is just to replace my monitors speakers and I don't have a soundcard or amp. I'm currently using Sony MDR-V6 headphones at my PC, but I want the choice of having it play through speakers than don't sound totally rubbish. I was thinking of getting the Trust 17966 Tytan 2.1 setup, but I want to know two things first and having looked around I can't seem to find the answer.

Firstly, can I have the speakers setup so they are plugged into my computer at all times, yet when I plug a 3.5mm jack from them into my phone, they will play music from my phone, without me having to unplug my computer, whether it is off or on?

Secondly, I'm fairly new to the audio game and you guys tend to know what's best, so for the price range I have ( £50, so around $75) what 2.1 speakers would you go for?

Thanks for your help, I hope I've put all the information down.

Link to Trust Tytans : http://www.amazon.co.uk/Trust-17966-Tytan-2-1-Speaker/dp/B0061J3GPU

CPU: Intel i7 3750k @4.4 Ghz | Case: Poor MotherbordGigabyte GA-Z77X-UD5H   GPU: EVGA GTX 650 ti |

Power Supply: Seasonic 650W G series | Monitor: HKC2612A Keyboard: Corsair K60  | Mouse: Func-MS3 Headset : Sony MDR - V6

Quite a few people recommend the creative T series stuff for budget setups.  To solve the phone plug in thing, if your sound card has a line in you could plug the phone into that and set windows to "listen to this device" then it would pass the sound from the phone (line in) straight to the line out to the speakers.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

Personally, $75 isn't much for good audio. If you're stuck in that range,  the Trust Titan's are a good choice, but if you can save up a bit more, go for the Klipsch Pro Media 2.1's.

They are $130 at Best Buy.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/klipsch-promedia-2-1-speaker-system-3-piece-black/9382232.p?id=1218095770265&skuId=9382232

I bought mine on Amazon about 10months ago, and I've been extremely happy with them (even before I bought a good sound card for them)

The thing is, at the $130 price range, you can get some mediocre 4.1/5.1's or some GOOD 2.1's like the Pro Media 2.1's, or even possible one of Corsair's 2.1's.

Do yourself a favor and use your headphones for a little while longer and save some money to get a good set of speakers. (it's something you will have and use for a very long time)

OR forget some speakers and go buy yourself a good sound card. ASUS has some awesome cards around the $75 mark, both internal and external USB sound cards.

I bought a FiiO Andes E07K DAC for about $120 (they were more expensive then) and it was a great purchase.

It's external, so you don't have to clutter up the inside of your case with another card (which was important for me since I have SLI and watercooling).

It can be used with not only your desktop, but any laptop, tablet, mp3 player, and even apple products (if you're into that).

And right now, I think it's like $80.

It will for sure make your Sony's sound much much better, You haven't heard sound until it's been amplified.

Here's a review:

http://www.head-fi.org/products/fiio-andes-e07k-portable-usb-dac-and-headphone-amplifier-96khz-24-bit

Hope that helps =)

Intel i7 8700k @ 5.3GHz - Asus Maximus X Hero - 16GB Gskill TridentZ RGB 3200Mhz - EVGA GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 - Viotek 27" 1440p 144hz curved- Corsair AX860i - CM H500M - Custom watercooling loop (BlackIce GT 360mm w/ Corsair SP120s in pull) - Swiftech MCP35X Pump - XSPC WaterBlock - Intel 760p 512gb nvme m.2 + [2x] 512GB Samsung 850 Pro SSDs (RAID0) + 512GB Samsung 840 pro + (2) 2TB WD Black + 1TB WD Black + 1TB SCSI WD External for Plex Media Server storage - CM QuickFire TK w/ Cherry MX Blues - Roccat Tyon - VModa Crossfade LP - Klipsche ProMedia 2.1's pushed with a FiiO Andes F07K DAC

Oh, and those Klipsch Pro Media 2.1's also have an auxiliary input right on the right speaker, so you can connect your phone or mp3 player directly to it on your desk and have music player from that without having to go under the desk and switching cables around.

Just another plus.

Oh, and I've heard those Trust Tytans are actually good for the money. I doubt you'll be able to find that amount of power at this price anywhere else. So, it seems like you're on the right track. Just figured I'd give you a few other options or maybe something you hadn't thought about.

=)

Intel i7 8700k @ 5.3GHz - Asus Maximus X Hero - 16GB Gskill TridentZ RGB 3200Mhz - EVGA GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 - Viotek 27" 1440p 144hz curved- Corsair AX860i - CM H500M - Custom watercooling loop (BlackIce GT 360mm w/ Corsair SP120s in pull) - Swiftech MCP35X Pump - XSPC WaterBlock - Intel 760p 512gb nvme m.2 + [2x] 512GB Samsung 850 Pro SSDs (RAID0) + 512GB Samsung 840 pro + (2) 2TB WD Black + 1TB WD Black + 1TB SCSI WD External for Plex Media Server storage - CM QuickFire TK w/ Cherry MX Blues - Roccat Tyon - VModa Crossfade LP - Klipsche ProMedia 2.1's pushed with a FiiO Andes F07K DAC

OR forget some speakers and go buy yourself a good sound card. ASUS has some awesome cards around the $75 mark, both internal and external USB sound cards.

I bought a FiiO Andes E07K DAC for about $120 (they were more expensive then) and it was a great purchase.

It's external, so you don't have to clutter up the inside of your case with another card (which was important for me since I have SLI and watercooling).

It can be used with not only your desktop, but any laptop, tablet, mp3 player, and even apple products (if you're into that).

And right now, I think it's like $80.

It will for sure make your Sony's sound much much better, You haven't heard sound until it's been amplified.

Here's a review:

http://www.head-fi.org/products/fiio-andes-e07k-portable-usb-dac-and-headphone-amplifier-96khz-24-bit

Hope that helps =)

Unless he has interference or issues with his on board, a sound card will do nothing for the quality. And an Asus card could easily make the sound worse. If amplification changes the sound then the amp is broken or mismatched to your headphones. Louder does not equal better. 

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

Unless he has interference or issues with his on board, a sound card will do nothing for the quality. And an Asus card could easily make the sound worse. If amplification changes the sound then the amp is broken or mismatched to your headphones. Louder does not equal better. 

I really hope you don't believe that. If you do, no offense, but you shouldn't be giving audio advice. He is using on board audio. Which in most cases isn't going to push speakers to even half their potential. A DAC like the FiiO Andes or an ASUS Xonar would greatly increase the audio fidelity and quality as well as amplify the sound. Most headphones and speakers benefit from an additional sound card (unless it's a USB headset and uses it's own internal sound card).

But since he's using an analogue 3.5mm jack, the only thing pushing his headphones atm is his onboard audio. And we all know onboard audio sux. (unless you have something like the ASUS Maximus V/VI Formula which has a very decent sound card on a separated PCB on the MB), adding a sound card or DAC will bring his Sony's to life. When I bought mine, headphones and IEM's I had just lieing around were brought back to life by it. I couldn't believe how much of a difference it made. So, I'm sorry I COMPLETELY disagree with what you said, as would any real audiophile.

I really hope you don't believe that. If you do, no offense, but you shouldn't be giving audio advice. He is using on board audio. Which in most cases isn't going to push speakers to even half their potential. A DAC like the FiiO Andes or an ASUS Xonar would greatly increase the audio fidelity and quality as well as amplify the sound. Most headphones and speakers benefit from an additional sound card (unless it's a USB headset and uses it's own internal sound card).

But since he's using an analogue 3.5mm jack, the only thing pushing his headphones atm is his onboard audio. And we all know onboard audio sux. (unless you have something like the ASUS Maximus V/VI Formula which has a very decent sound card on a separated PCB on the MB), adding a sound card or DAC will bring his Sony's to life. When I bought mine, headphones and IEM's I had just lieing around were brought back to life by it. I couldn't believe how much of a difference it made. So, I'm sorry I COMPLETELY disagree with what you said, as would any real audiophile.

Wow, I have been building amps, headphone amps and speakers since I was 16.  I know a little bit about this and just about every thing you said there was wrong.  I suggest you read the FAQ at the top of the audio sub forum.

Oh, and those Klipsch Pro Media 2.1's also have an auxiliary input right on the right speaker, so you can connect your phone or mp3 player directly to it on your desk and have music player from that without having to go under the desk and switching cables around.

Just another plus.

Oh, and I've heard those Trust Tytans are actually good for the money. I doubt you'll be able to find that amount of power at this price anywhere else. So, it seems like you're on the right track. Just figured I'd give you a few other options or maybe something you hadn't thought about.

=)

Thanks for the help but UK prices of the Klipsch Pro Media 2.1 mean they come out to be around $210 and I'm not willing to spend that much on some speakers, when I could upgrade my GPU for a bit more than that. I think the Trust Tytans are the best I'm going to be able to afford. I'm was going to look into a soundcard around Easter, but for now the Sonys are still sounding great to me, and I'd rather get some speakers now, they make them sound even better with a soundcard upgrade later on. No need to start a is a soundcard worth it arguement guys ;) well not yet atleast

CPU: Intel i7 3750k @4.4 Ghz | Case: Poor MotherbordGigabyte GA-Z77X-UD5H   GPU: EVGA GTX 650 ti |

Power Supply: Seasonic 650W G series | Monitor: HKC2612A Keyboard: Corsair K60  | Mouse: Func-MS3 Headset : Sony MDR - V6

Thanks for the help but UK prices of the Klipsch Pro Media 2.1 mean they come out to be around $210 and I'm not willing to spend that much on some speakers, when I could upgrade my GPU for a bit more than that. I think the Trust Tytans are the best I'm going to be able to afford. I'm was going to look into a soundcard around Easter, but for now the Sonys are still sounding great to me, and I'd rather get some speakers now, they make them sound even better with a soundcard upgrade later on. No need to start a is a soundcard worth it arguement guys ;) well not yet atleast

lol and ouch, $210 would be too much. I guess the  prices over there are a bit different. Well, either way. I think you picked a good set for the range you're working in. You should be happy with the Trusts. And do look into a sound card when you can. It does make a huge difference. Especially if you're used to onboard audio.

Let us know how they sound =)

Happy Holidays!

And do look into a sound card when you can. It does make a huge difference. Especially if you're used to onboard audio.

I guess you didn't read the FAQ. :rolleyes:

I guess a FAQ will change what I've learned from personal experience? Sorry but no. Anyone who has has used onboard audio and then has upgraded to a good soundcard knows you get a better audio experience. And I don't need a FAQ to tell me otherwise. Anyways, it sounds like the OP knows what he's going to do, so let's just consider this thread closed.

Oh, and here's something copied from the FAQ:

What's the most important thing I can do to improve my audio experience?

Click for Answer

The order of operations that you should improve first to last is:

1. Improve your source - Get lossless music files in formats like FLAC, Monkey's Audio, and True Audio by re-ripping your CDs or buying them from sites like HDTracks.com or Bandcamp.com.

2. Get better headphones or speakers - Even sub $100 headphones can seriously improve audio quality, especially with designs that have open cups. Speakers don't need to run you dry, either. Need some suggestions? Just ask. We've got way too many speakers and headphones to not have listened to a set you might like.

3. Get a better AMP/DAC or Soundcard - Once you know that your headphones or speakers would really only get loud enough with special amplification or your onboard is just too noisy, then this step becomes worth your time and money. For more information on what kind fits what sort of headphones, keep reading. For speakers, it's a receiver to go with your bookshelf units if your speakers don't come in a set. Good speakers don't.

4. Cables - They don't matter unless they have bad connectors or they break inside. Digital matters even less as long as it's a properly built cable. See: http://www.theaudioc...Critic_26_r.pdf (page 5)

5. Power Conditioning - NO

6. Other things - Pebbles, wooden blocks, fancy power and USB cables, PCI bus conditioners, AND MORE! - NO

Yes, his Sony's may not be high impedance, but in my experience, even cheap $30 earbuds sound a TON better with a good DAC or soundcard. I'm using a fairly good motherboard (Asus P8Z77-V Pro) and that little FiiO Andes F07K made a HUGE difference on everything I use on them. And actually, I'm using some cheap IEM's that I paid $30 for right now because my cat got ahold of my Sennheisers, and they aren't high impedance at all. And using onboard and using a digital output to my FiiO Andes  is night and day. So don't go around telling people it doesn't help or it will make it worse because that's just not true. Even you know that, so I don't know why you are arguing.

3. Get a better AMP/DAC or Soundcard - Once you know that your headphones or speakers would really only get loud enough with special amplification or your onboard is just too noisy, then this step becomes worth your time and money. For more information on what kind fits what sort of headphones, keep reading. For speakers, it's a receiver to go with your bookshelf units if your speakers don't come in a set. Good speakers don't.

Yes, clearly you can copy and paste text but not actually understand what is written.  It says nothing here that would actually substantiate your point.  Also you said to forget the speakers entirely and get a sound card.  All that will do is make his audio louder and him deaf in the long run.  All your soundcard does is make your cheap earbuds much louder because the soundcard outputs more power than your onboard at the same volume, which is where you get a perceived difference in audio quality.  Remember, different != better, especially in audio.

Also note this is an order of operations.  Which makes it something like the Rictor scale, where a 7 magnitude quake is ten time more powerful than a 6 magnitude quake.  The headphones and speakers are much more important than the amp powering them.  Not the other way around.

"Pardon my French but this is just about the most ignorant blanket statement I've ever read. And though this is the internet, I'm not even exaggerating."

I guess a FAQ will change what I've learned from personal experience? Sorry but no. Anyone who has has used onboard audio and then has upgraded to a good soundcard knows you get a better audio experience. And I don't need a FAQ to tell me otherwise. Anyways, it sounds like the OP knows what he's going to do, so let's just consider this thread closed.

No , not anyone, I personally and many others who know what they are listening to worked out a while ago that on board audio is just as good if not better than a soundcard.  That is why I have a drawer full of soundcards and use my onboard.  Thread is not closed, I will not stand by a watch people advise other members to spend money on gear they don't need.

Thread is Lol. I can somewhat understand people's belief in soundcards being an improvement for headphones, because at least they make headphones louder. Never will I understand the asinine belief that a soundcard will "push" speakers to sound better.  :rolleyes:

OP, consider the Edifier R1600T instead of a 2.1 computer setup - that's my advice but do what you will with it.

Yes, clearly you can copy and paste text but not actually understand what is written.  It says nothing here that would actually substantiate your point.  Also you said to forget the speakers entirely and get a sound card.  All that will do is make his audio louder and him deaf in the long run.  All your soundcard does is make your cheap earbuds much louder because the soundcard outputs more power than your onboard at the same volume, which is where you get a perceived difference in audio quality.  Remember, different != better, especially in audio.

Also note this is an order of operations.  Which makes it something like the Rictor scale, where a 7 magnitude quake is ten time more powerful than a 6 magnitude quake.  The headphones and speakers are much more important than the amp powering them.  Not the other way around.

I agree, but i never told him to forget speakers entirely, please reread what I wrote. I was just suggesting a card since he had so little to work with. You can get a decent card or dac for $75, but it's hard to find some really good speakers for that price. Speakers are something you keep and use for a long time, and to me, it's an investment. I'd rather save up some more and get a higher quality set than settle. And don't get me wrong, I know better speakers will benefit him more than a sound card, I was just arguing with moose saying that a card doesn't help and could make it worse, which isn't correct.  But do you really think a sound card is just an amp? no.. it does much more than just amplify sound dude. Yes, it's all limited by the quality of the music file you're listening to, but even at low volumes, I get much better sound definition and control from a good card.

Anyways, I don't want to argue or fight, that's not what this forum is for. So I'll just leave it at that.

Take care

I agree, but i never told him to forget speakers entirely, please reread what I wrote. I was just suggesting a card since he had so little to work with. You can get a decent card or dac for $75, but it's hard to find some really good speakers for that price. Speakers are something you keep and use for a long time, and to me, it's an investment. I'd rather save up some more and get a higher quality set than settle. And don't get me wrong, I know better speakers will benefit him more than a sound card, I was just arguing with moose saying that a card doesn't help and could make it worse, which isn't correct. But do you really think a sound card is just an amp? no.. it does much more than just amplify sound dude. Yes, it's all limited by the quality of the music file you're listening to, but even at low volumes, I get much better sound definition and control from a good card.

Anyways, I don't want to argue or fight, that's not what this forum is for. So I'll just leave it at that.

Take care

What YOU just said is wrong.

I agree, but i never told him to forget speakers entirely, please reread what I wrote.

OR forget some speakers and go buy yourself a good sound card. 

Seems legit.

I highly recommend you look into the Edifier R1600t's. (I know they're not 2.1, but just hear me out)

I bought them a few months ago, and I'd do it again every time.

They're really great for every type of audio. Here's an unboxing and a quick review: 

They're bookshelf speakers, so they look really classy. But if you take the cloth protection of, they really look awesome.

another upside is that they're powered speakers, which means you can connect anything with a 3.5 mm jack.

The audio quality is outstanding, and everyone who's heard them was very impressed.

Even a friend of mine (who is extremely cheap, he WON'T spend money) asked how much they are. He's now looking into getting a set for himself.

They are $70-$100, so for what you get, they're really well priced. 

If you can't choose between a couple of options, get this! You won't regret it.

cweMtXF.jpg

Intel Core i7-3770k @4.4GHz. 1.170V - Noctua NH-D14 - 8GB (2x4) G.Skill RipjawsX @1866 MHz. CL8 - Gigabyte GA-Z77X-D3H - Samsung 840 250GB - XFX HD7970 DD GHz. @1125MHz - CM 690 II - Seagate Barracuda 2TB + WD RED 3TB - Corsair RM750X

FiiO E10 - Sennheiser HD 598 - Edifier R1600T - Sony MHC-EX50 - Razer Blackwidow Ulitmate 2013 - Razer Deathadder 2013 - LG IPS237L - Dell P2314H - Philips 237EQPH - LG 47LB561V

LG G2 - HP Spectre X360 - Audio Technica ATH-M50X - Sennheiser IE 60

copy paste is copy paste, but also jinx - pinch poke, you owe me a coke

But it's a copy-paste from myself, so that doesn't count, right?

I also feel the same I felt back then, so I could either have written the entire thing over again, or copy-pasted it.

Now which one seems the better option?

Intel Core i7-3770k @4.4GHz. 1.170V - Noctua NH-D14 - 8GB (2x4) G.Skill RipjawsX @1866 MHz. CL8 - Gigabyte GA-Z77X-D3H - Samsung 840 250GB - XFX HD7970 DD GHz. @1125MHz - CM 690 II - Seagate Barracuda 2TB + WD RED 3TB - Corsair RM750X

FiiO E10 - Sennheiser HD 598 - Edifier R1600T - Sony MHC-EX50 - Razer Blackwidow Ulitmate 2013 - Razer Deathadder 2013 - LG IPS237L - Dell P2314H - Philips 237EQPH - LG 47LB561V

LG G2 - HP Spectre X360 - Audio Technica ATH-M50X - Sennheiser IE 60

But it's a copy-paste from myself, so that doesn't count, right?

I also feel the same I felt back then, so I could either have written the entire thing over again, or copy-pasted it.

Now which one seems the better option?

Oh, no hard feelings mayne - I sometimes wish I had a list of things I've said in the past so I could copy-paste. :) 

But I want that coke.

GPTC_Barrymore_Serious-face-pointing-swo

I don't want to argue or fight, that's not what this forum is for. So I'll just leave it at that.

Take care

I don't want to argue, in fact no one here takes any pleasure in constantly being told we are wrong. But that basic fact of the matter is that audio is a very complicated science that is even more complicated by human auditory perception and psychology.  This is a fact that companies like Asus capitalise on to sell what is essentially snake oil.  The human brain is wonderful at tricking itself into perceiving many things that aren't actually there.  The only way to avoid this perception issue is to take a blind test, If you decide after a blind test that the soundcard is better, then we will all agree that for your ears, system, room and or gear the sound card works better.  But history tells me (along with many others) that in a blind test a lot of what the audiophile world would have you believe is better is little more than a placebo.

Asus, schitt and many others really leverage the audiophile terms and misconceptions to sell their products,  Products that are essentially irrelevant with today's technology.   Why pay $200 for a soundcard that has a 120dB SNR when the audio chip they are using to drive the headphones has a noise floor equivalent to a cmoy amp? There is no point. 

Here are some videos that really help to explain the problems faced in the audio world and why everything is not as it seems:

And this article will really mess with your head,  how having a visual stimulus that opposes the auditory perception tricks our mind into hearing where a sound is not coming from:

http://link.springer.com/article/10.3758%2FBF03208826#page-1

EDIT: the whole point to this is not to say anyone is wrong, but to point out how easy it is fur us to be misled by the marketing hype,  this is why I have a drawer full of soundcards and not a pc full of audio gear.

I highly recommend you look into the Edifier R1600t's. (I know they're not 2.1, but just hear me out)

I bought them a few months ago, and I'd do it again every time.

They're really great for every type of audio. Here's an unboxing and a quick review: 

They're bookshelf speakers, so they look really classy. But if you take the cloth protection of, they really look awesome.

another upside is that they're powered speakers, which means you can connect anything with a 3.5 mm jack.

The audio quality is outstanding, and everyone who's heard them was very impressed.

Even a friend of mine (who is extremely cheap, he WON'T spend money) asked how much they are. He's now looking into getting a set for himself.

They are $70-$100, so for what you get, they're really well priced. 

If you can't choose between a couple of options, get this! You won't regret it.

Thanks for the advice, I think I'll get the Trust Tytans merely because of the the volume dial makes it easily to set up compared to the Edifiers. I'm gonna wait until Christmas tho, see if any crazy deals turn up. Thanks to all you guys as well for helping me.