Nvidia wants to sell cards to gamers over miners

Airdragonz

Just came across this article. https://wccftech.com/nvidia-instructs-retailers-stop-selling-miners-sell-gamers/amp/

Basically, it seems like Nvidia is trying to prioritize gamers/pc builders over crypto miners. Thoughts or opinions on how this might turn out? Do you think retailers will adhere to Nvidia's request or keep selling to crypto miners? 

print "Hello World!" ("Hello World!")

They already made a post about this in the news section.

There isn't much of a way for a retailer to know what the customer is going to use it for, and it isn't really right for a company to say what you can/can't use something you bought for. However I do also see the side of miners completely destroying the GPU market, which needs to stop.

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

The will to read community standard is a skill of its own

Gaming Mouse Buying Guide (Technical Terms,Optical vs Laser,Mice Recommendation,Popular Mouse Sensor,Etc)

[LOGITECH G402 REVIEW]

I love Dark Souls lore, Mice and Milk tea  ^_^ Praise The Sun! \[T]/

I can conquer the world with one hand,As long as you hold the other -Unknown

Its better to enjoy your own company than expecting someone to make you happy -Mr Bean

No one is going to be with you forever,One day u'll have to walk alone -Hiromi aoki (avery)

BUT the one who love us never really leave us,You can always find them here -Sirius Black

Don't pity the dead,Pity the living and above all those who live without love -Albus Dumbledore

How do they know who is a miner and who is a gamer?

Main Gaming PC (new): HP Omen 30L || i9 10850K || RTX 3070 || 512GB WD Blue NVME || 2TB HDD, 4TB HDD, 8TB HDD ||  750W P2 ||  16GB HyperX Black DDR4

Main Gaming PC (old, still own) : Intel Core i7 7700K @5.0Ghz || GPU: GTX 1080 Seahawk EK X || Motherboard: Maximus VIII Impact || Case: Fractal Design Define Nano S || RAM : 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 

Cooling: EK XRES D5 100mm || Alphacool ST30 280mm w/ Vardars || Alphacool ST30 240mm w/ Vardars || Swiftech 3/8 x 1/2'' Lok-Seal Compressions || Swiftech EVGA Hydrocopper Block || Primochill Advanced LRT Orange || Distilled Water

Folding@Home Rig: 2x X5690s @4.6Ghz || GPUs: 2x Radeon HD 7990 || Motherboard: EVGA SR-2 || Case: Corsair 900D || RAM: 48GB Corsair Dominator GT 2000Mhz CL9

Ethereum Mining Rig: Pentium G4400 || Gigabyte Z170X-UD5 TH || 2x GTX 1060s (Samsung & Hynix) 1x GTX 1070 (Micron), 2x RX480s BIOS modded (Samsung), 1x R9 290X 8GB, 1x GTX 1660 Super = ~ 195 Mh/s

Peripherals: 3x U2412M (5760x1200), 1x U3011 (2560x1600) || Logitech G710 (Cherry Blues) || Logitech G600 || Brainwavz HM5 with @Gofspar Mod 

Laptop: Dell XPS 15 || "Infinity Edge" 4K IPS Screen || i7 7700HQ || GTX 1050 || 16GB 2400Mhz RAM 

9 minutes ago, AtomicWaveBlast said:

Wait wait wait wait I can get a gtx 1080 for $549 on their site?

It's out of stock.

Main Gaming PC (new): HP Omen 30L || i9 10850K || RTX 3070 || 512GB WD Blue NVME || 2TB HDD, 4TB HDD, 8TB HDD ||  750W P2 ||  16GB HyperX Black DDR4

Main Gaming PC (old, still own) : Intel Core i7 7700K @5.0Ghz || GPU: GTX 1080 Seahawk EK X || Motherboard: Maximus VIII Impact || Case: Fractal Design Define Nano S || RAM : 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 

Cooling: EK XRES D5 100mm || Alphacool ST30 280mm w/ Vardars || Alphacool ST30 240mm w/ Vardars || Swiftech 3/8 x 1/2'' Lok-Seal Compressions || Swiftech EVGA Hydrocopper Block || Primochill Advanced LRT Orange || Distilled Water

Folding@Home Rig: 2x X5690s @4.6Ghz || GPUs: 2x Radeon HD 7990 || Motherboard: EVGA SR-2 || Case: Corsair 900D || RAM: 48GB Corsair Dominator GT 2000Mhz CL9

Ethereum Mining Rig: Pentium G4400 || Gigabyte Z170X-UD5 TH || 2x GTX 1060s (Samsung & Hynix) 1x GTX 1070 (Micron), 2x RX480s BIOS modded (Samsung), 1x R9 290X 8GB, 1x GTX 1660 Super = ~ 195 Mh/s

Peripherals: 3x U2412M (5760x1200), 1x U3011 (2560x1600) || Logitech G710 (Cherry Blues) || Logitech G600 || Brainwavz HM5 with @Gofspar Mod 

Laptop: Dell XPS 15 || "Infinity Edge" 4K IPS Screen || i7 7700HQ || GTX 1050 || 16GB 2400Mhz RAM 

This is nothing new outside of the US. In the UK a lot of retailers already limit GPU purchases not only to 2 per person, but household.

Linus is my fetish.

Well, nice to hear they care.

That's also definitely an option, get a founder's edition card from them directly rather than trying to fight for a card or paying a high premium with retailers for one.

I'd prefer aftermarket though... aesthetics. Not that the founder's edition is ugly but... meh.

1 hour ago, RyanEsau said:

That's also definitely an option, get a founder's edition card from them directly rather than trying to fight for a card or paying a high premium with retailers for one.

I'd prefer aftermarket though... aesthetics. Not that the founder's edition is ugly but... meh.

I can't stand blower coolers. Even in my mini ITX case my minimal dual slot triple fan 1080 Ti doesn't even go past 75c even when overcooked to 2025 MHz.

Linus is my fetish.

It's not really something they can effectively do. Even if Nvidia magically doubled the amount of GPUs they could supply, it wouldn't make a huge difference to the gaming market. The only way the market will ever get fixed is if it becomes unprofitable to mine on graphic cards.

2 hours ago, arnavvr said:

How do they know who is a miner and who is a gamer?

They dont

1 hour ago, Bhav said:

This is nothing new outside of the US. In the UK a lot of retailers already limit GPU purchases not only to 2 per person, but household.

For real?

its just a PR stunts nothing more.

1 hour ago, RyanEsau said:

They dont

1 hour ago, Abyssal Radon said:

I like what nVidia is trying to do. This is what AMD more or less did with the bundles when they released the Vega cards. I'm not to sure how nVidia plans on accomplishing this, it will be interesting to say the least. I'm betting that nVidia is trying to do this when they release the consumer Volta cards, since the GPU market is so fucked.

2 minutes ago, hassam222 said:

It's not really something they can effectively do. Even if Nvidia magically doubled the amount of GPUs they could supply, it wouldn't make a huge difference to the gaming market. The only way the market will ever get fixed is if it becomes unprofitable to mine on graphic cards.

This thread is already been posted and discussed here

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/887877-nvidia-asks-retailers-to-stop-selling-gpus-to-miners/?do=getNewComment

Gaming Mouse Buying Guide (Technical Terms,Optical vs Laser,Mice Recommendation,Popular Mouse Sensor,Etc)

[LOGITECH G402 REVIEW]

Its better to enjoy your own company than expecting someone to make you happy -Mr Bean

No one is going to be with you forever,One day u'll have to walk alone -Hiromi aoki (avery)

BUT the one who love us never really leave us,You can always find them here -Sirius Black

Don't pity the dead,Pity the living and above all those who live without love -Albus Dumbledore

@Hiya! When new GPUs are released and pre ordered more than the supply, the retailers limit them to 2 per household to give everyone a chance of getting them. They can do the same if they are selling out due to miners, or any other reason, but for whatever reason this isn't an issue here and GPU stocks are abundant right now.

Also buying from the Nvidia or EVGA store in the UK / EU is pretty much always limited to 2 cards too.

Linus is my fetish.

2 minutes ago, Bhav said:

@Hiya! When new GPUs are released and pre ordered more than the supply, the retailers limit them to 2 per household. They can do the same if they are selling out due to miners, or any other reason, but for whatever reason this isn't an issue here and GPU stocks are abundant right now.

owh i thought it was really happen.

Well for that it seems reasonable but as for those mining thingy its just stupid.

Its likely that the retailer care about it.

They need to make money so they have to sell them as fast as they can on top of that how they suppose to know if the buyer us a miner?

He could just buy 2 gpu and ask its for sli and he can brings a lot of friends too.

[LOGITECH G402 REVIEW]

1 minute ago, Hiya! said:

owh i thought it was really happen.

Well for that it seems reasonable but as for those mining thingy its just stupid.

Its likely that the retailer care about it.

They need to make money so they have to sell them as fast as they can on top of that how they suppose to know if the buyer us a miner?

He could just buy 2 gpu and ask its for sli and he can brings a lot of friends too.

That's also the thing, they can buy 2 from each store, or just buy from Amazon that doesn't put on those limits.

Its usually just the PC sites like Overclockers, Scan and Ebuyer that will limit GPU sales while supply isn't meeting the demand. Also nothing stopping them from going to PC world to buy more if they want.

But like I said, crypto mining isn't as prevalent here, or much of Europe to the point of causing GPU shortages, maybe because electricity is more expensive.

Linus is my fetish.

it would be pretty easy to stop miners buying their cards. Nvidia and AMD if they don't know (and i'm sure they know) what miners don't want in a card just go to their forums and release cards with BIOS that go against their wishes. More latency for example, they hate that.

Then they could release the extra production cards gamers don't pick up and make special versions.

It's nice to say this as PR, but it's also BS as they do nothing to make cards less appealing to miners.

3 hours ago, Bhav said:

You know there way of getting around this is to have open order contracts which lets them buy in larger quantities and is nearly impossible for consumers to compete with that. So no matter what the website says it doesn't stop them from honoring their contracts since there not actually shopping from the website.

Nobody seems to remember that nvidia sells literal crate loads of gpus to miners 

Want to custom loop?  Ask me more if you are curious

it's probably because miners generally return the card; so it only costs them for the electricity.

Experienced it first hand, which is why the company I work for doesn't sell over 2 cards per person for high/mid range graphics cards.

3 minutes ago, Damascus said:

Nobody seems to remember that nvidia sells literal crate loads of gpus to miners 

that's not the point. Gamers literally created the gpu market.

Imagine that you and you're friends go to lunch every day on the same restaurant since it opened, when no one went there, some day comes a VIP bunch loaded with money and the owner ask you to leave so he can serve them and make more money.  When the VIP's stop coming then he may loose you as a customer. People may start to eat at xbox or ps4 restaurants.

26 minutes ago, asus killer said:

it would be pretty easy to stop miners buying their cards. Nvidia and AMD if they don't know (and i'm sure they know) what miners don't want in a card just go to their forums and release cards with BIOS that go against their wishes. More latency for example, they hate that.

Then they could release the extra production cards gamers don't pick up and make special versions.

It's nice to say this as PR, but it's also BS as they do nothing to make cards less appealing to miners.

It could be really easy to do since the way the card is used in way different fashion then say gamers.  So if the card is utilized for hash# it could incur a protection protocol in the bios to prevent if they really wanted too. But the truth is they don't care who is buying there gpus

5 hours ago, Airdragonz said:

7 minutes ago, asus killer said:

that's not the point. Gamers literally created the gpu market.

Imagine that you and you're friends go to lunch every day on the same restaurant since it opened, when no one went there, some day comes a VIP bunch loaded with money and the owner ask you to leave so he can serve them and make more money.  When the VIP's stop coming then he may loose you as a customer. People may start to eat at xbox or ps4 restaurants.

You fail to see my point.  Nvidia is currently being rather replaced, sure don't sell to the miners but well give them the majority of chips before they hit retail.

That's what I'm calling out.

Want to custom loop?  Ask me more if you are curious

I hope you realize that the "Customer Limited to 2" or whatever the number is, its also a marketing gimmick. It gives a sense of limited quantity to the customer.