Why are ethernet cable connectors so large?

TheValiantSoul

I find it odd that when all standards change to make the ports smaller in order to take up less space on the device ethernet connectors stay big. USB type A is losing ground to USB C and Micro-usb, most displays use HDMI which is very small compared to SCART cable ports and DVI etc. There are so many laptops these days that don't have them at all because they take up a lot of space. I'm sure they could make them smaller so why don't they?

Making them small would also make them impossibly difficult for an individual to put ends on, and considering that is how most ethernet lines are ran in houses, it doesn't make sense to make the connector small. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

The development of wifi has pushed solid ethernet connections away from required for the majority of devices and moved them into the domain solely of desktops and servers, and in that application there's no need for a smaller standard, or a smaller standard would only impact the versatility of it in the server domain.

Updated 2021 Desktop || 3700x || Asus x570 Tuf Gaming || 32gb Predator 3200mhz || 2080s XC Ultra || MSI 1440p144hz || DT990 + HD660 || GoXLR + ifi Zen Can || Avermedia Livestreamer 513 ||

New Home Dedicated Game Server || Xeon E5 2630Lv3 || 16gb 2333mhz ddr4 ECC || 2tb Sata SSD || 8tb Nas HDD || Radeon 6450 1g display adapter ||

Why change what isn't broke?

1 minute ago, Atmos said:

The development of wifi has pushed solid ethernet connections away from required for the majority of devices and moved them into the domain solely of desktops and servers, and in that application there's no need for a smaller standard, or a smaller standard would only impact the versatility of it in the server domain.

standards.png

[Out-of-date] Want to learn how to make your own custom Windows 10 image?

Desktop: AMD R9 3900X | ASUS ROG Strix X570-F | Radeon RX 5700 XT | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | 32GB Trident Z Neo 3600MHz | 1TB 970 EVO | 256GB 840 EVO | 960GB Corsair Force LE | EVGA G2 850W | Phanteks P400S

Laptop: Intel M-5Y10c | Intel HD Graphics | 8GB RAM | 250GB Micron SSD | Asus UX305FA

Server 01: Intel Xeon D 1541 | ASRock Rack D1541D4I-2L2T | 32GB Hynix ECC DDR4 | 4x8TB Western Digital HDDs | 32TB Raw 16TB Usable

Server 02: Intel i7 7700K | Gigabye Z170N Gaming5 | 16GB Trident Z 3200MHz

Probably a couple of reasons:

It's typically not a connector that needs to be small in the first place.

There's decades of compatibility to consider. Changing it to something smaller suddenly makes all of the previous RJ45 based equipment incompatible with the new stuff and likely vice versa. Makes adding new hardware difficult if it's not backwards compatible and using an adaptor would defeat the point. 

People wire up network cables a lot. Making them too small and fiddly would cause problems for basically everyone, either directly or indirectly. 

makeing ethernet cables is enough of a PITA already, makeing them smaller would make that worse

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

10 minutes ago, TheValiantSoul said:

USB type A is losing ground to USB C and Micro-usb,

Not really. Type A will suffer a long, slow death and will likely never really disappear. I mean, we still have modern high-end boards with PS/2 ports even though most of the benefits they used to provide aren't so now that high-end USB based keyboards have caught up.

There are so many laptops these days that don't have them at all because they take up a lot of space. I'm sure they could make them smaller so why don't they?

It's because Wi-Fi is ubiquitous enough to not really need an Ethernet port. The only time I ever needed one on a laptop was to service a Wi-Fi router for its first time setup and I didn't want to move the router around to my desk and where it would it live.

Anyway, Ethernet is fine. RJ45 has been around forever and trying to convince every company in the world and their IT department to use something else is going to take a miracle.

3 minutes ago, Lurick said:

You can make them smaller. You just need to convince the following companies to throw away all of their existing products:

All of the companies

Don't forget that you would have to tell the networking person that's been doing his/her job for 30 years that he/she has to buy a new crimper. 

Just now, Dissitesuxba11s said:

Don't forget that you would have to tell the networking person that's been doing his/her job for >30 years that he/she has to buy a new crimper. 

That's true, and you'd have to explain to "tech guy who couldn't identify USB Type A vs Type B but is really really good at "the tech"" what the new connection is for.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

2 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

we still have modern high-end boards with PS/2 ports even though most of the benefits they used to provide aren't so now that high-end USB based keyboards have caught up.

No drivers needed with PS/2...

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

Otherwise you would solder the connections and everything would be smaller.

I bet the standardization of it was put in place decades ago and it just stuck.

What is the problem you are trying to solve by changing the connector?

The drive for smaller USB connectors is because they're going on ever smaller devices. Wifi is "good enough" for a non-performance laptop type scenario. Cabled ethernet is more a reliability, performance and maybe security option where needed.

I think the only maybe reason for a new ethernet connector to take hold would be if it supported out of the box much higher speeds than currently. But it isn't just the connector, but also the rest of the infrastructure to support it. We already kinda have 10G possible so need to one-up that. 100G would be a good enough excuse, and that would probably require a new style cable to make it work. That's the bigger question, why has affordable ethernet stagnated at gigabit whereas the rest of the computing industry has more everything.

I just wish they re-design the plug to be more rugged. I don't know how many cables I see where the tag has broken off at some point, and even the "snagless" with some protective overmoulding are limited in how much they help.

Gaming system: R7 7800X3D, Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming Wifi, Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE ARGB, Corsair Vengeance 2x 32GB 6000C30, RTX 4070, MSI MPG A850G, Fractal Design North, Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Productivity system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, 64GB ram (mixed), RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, random 1080p + 720p displays.
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

If you need drivers for USB, you should probably get a new OS.

Some USB keybaords wouldn't work in the bios (with older, but still relevant hardware) either. @M.Yurizaki

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

2 minutes ago, djdwosk97 said:

Some USB keybaords wouldn't work in the bios (with older hardware) either.

The complaint is that PS/2 is still on modern hardware.

I mean if you really want to run Windows 95 on a B350 board, that's fine. Or you're LGR and were doing it for science.

If you need drivers for USB, you should probably get a new OS.

The USB ports on my Gaming Pro Carbon were ultra finnicky under Win 10 and Ubuntu, running both generic and specific drivers. Plus, that's assuming drivers don't get updated or get corrupted and nigh brick functionality, because you can't interface with the system.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

2 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

The USB ports on my Gaming Pro Carbon were ultra finnicky under Win 10 and Ubuntu, running both generic and specific drivers. Plus, that's assuming drivers don't get updated or get corrupted and nigh brick functionality, because you can't interface with the system.

What's with you and having the worst luck with hardware?

Just now, M.Yurizaki said:

What's with you and having the worst luck with hardware?

I have a lot of hardware.

And the Gaming Pro Carbin issue wasn't exactly a rare thing either.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

3 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

I haven't looked, but is it found more often on higher end modern mobos than low end ones? There is a possible explanation for that: competitive overclockers. USB support is a pain when it comes to Windows installs. XP and Win7 seem to be the top OSes for that, and the extra hoops needed to get it installed using USB on Ryzen/Z270 or newer is an extra hurdle you can circumvent easily by PS2.

Gaming system: R7 7800X3D, Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming Wifi, Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE ARGB, Corsair Vengeance 2x 32GB 6000C30, RTX 4070, MSI MPG A850G, Fractal Design North, Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Productivity system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, 64GB ram (mixed), RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, random 1080p + 720p displays.
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

3 minutes ago, porina said:

I haven't looked, but is it found more often on higher end modern mobos than low end ones? There is a possible explanation for that: competitive overclockers. USB support is a pain when it comes to Windows installs. XP and Win7 seem to be the top OSes for that, and the extra hoops needed to get it installed using USB on Ryzen/Z270 or newer is an extra hurdle you can circumvent easily by PS2.

Every motherboard I've owned in the past three builds have had PS/2 ports, and they were all Z-series chipsets.

So between you and Drak3, I must be finding unicorns because I've never had a problem with going purely USB for inputs since 2005. Or maybe 2006.

9 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

I mean if you really want to run Windows 95 on a B350 board, that's fine. Or you're LGR and were doing it for science.

But how am I supposed to run my 20 year old eMachines keyboard without PS2!?

IMG_20171230_140240.thumb.jpg.988e29b748f3909fe3254133e639261b.jpg