Anyone downloading/downloaded Steam OS ?

kizoku_95

Has anyone downloaded the steam os ?

If yes, how is it?????

FX 6300 @ 4.2 Gigahurtz 1.325V ,  ASRock 970 Extreme 4 mobo  ,  Kingston Hyperx Blu 2X4GB @1600Mhz  , Asus GTX 960 DCU ii Black OC  , Hyper 212 Evo , Samsung 850 Evo 250 GB , WD 1 TB caviar Green , Xonar DG sound card , Seasonic M12ii Evo 620W PSU , Corsair 200R case ,4 random case fans.

I havent yet :P

but counter strike source just came out for linux :P

------------------------------------------------------I HAZ SHINY----------------------------------------------------------

I am going to dual boot my pc in mark II of Steam OS

Compatible with Windows 95

i downloaded it but i dint have the time to install it seems like i need to download a installer and its to much trouble for now since my laptop will probably not work because of optumis :(

Needs Update

I want to play with it but free time is a scarcity right now :(

Intel 4670K /w TT water 2.0 performer, GTX 1070FE, Gigabyte Z87X-DH3, Corsair HX750, 16GB Mushkin 1333mhz, Fractal R4 Windowed, Varmilo mint TKL, Logitech m310, HP Pavilion 23bw, Logitech 2.1 Speakers

Reading coments on the interwebs, and apparently it's a mess:

-> No AMD drivers support. Only Nvidia

-> Despite what you mentioned in the setup, it formatted the entire drive, and not the selected partition. People lost all their stuff and are pissed off.

-> Server is full, and there isn't a torrent version, which is odd for a Linux distro to not have.

-> System must have UEFI bios. Does not support traditional BIOS

Those that got it working, just says it's just big picture mode. Can't do anything else. Steaming feature isn't working. Visibly getting less gaming performance.

Of course, I haven't tried myself, so I don't know if the above is any true. But it doesn't look like people are having a good time with it, that's for sure.

I have the OS archived on my HDD, only took 15 Minutes last night, but then again it was using 1/3 of my down speed at around 3MB/s. 

Cpu: i5-2500k @4.8Ghz, MB: Asus Maximus V Formula, CPU cooler: Be quiet! Dark rock pro 2, GPU: Evga Gtx660 FTW@1.24ghz. Ram: Corsair Vengeance 8GB 1866Mhz, PSU: Be quiet! 730w Semi modular, SSD: Corsair force 3 240Gb, HDD: WD Green 1TB, Case: Nzxt H2 with 4 Corsair SP120's, Win7

-> Despite what you mentioned in the setup, it formatted the entire drive, and not the selected partition. People lost all their stuff and are pissed off.

-> Server is full, and there isn't a torrent version, which is odd for a Linux distro to not have.

Those that got it working, just says it's just big picture mode.

1) It's in beta, both features coming.

2) There are two different install methods for SteamOS. '''WARNING: BOTH METHODS WILL ERASE EVERYTHING ON THE MACHINE''' - http://steamcommunity.com/groups/steamuniverse/discussions/1/648814395741989999/ It's in the damn FAQ, l2read. 

3) http://steamdb.info/blog/35/ unofficial, but matching md5 hash. 

4) As for big picture, again, FAQ. 

Interested in Linux, SteamOS and Open-source applications? Go here

Gaming Rig - CPU: i5 3570k @ Stock | GPU: EVGA Geforce 560Ti 448 Core Classified Ultra | RAM: Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 8GB DDR3 1600 | SSD: Crucial M4 128GB | HDD: 3TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB WD Caviar Black, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Case: Antec Lanboy Air | KB: Corsair Vengeance K70 Cherry MX Blue | Mouse: Corsair Vengeance M95 | Headset: Steelseries Siberia V2

Windows Beta's are more complete than this. This sounds like more of an early Alpha build.

Beta means you have already done, and just requires polishing.

Linux based OS are Open Source, I don't get why these essential features, like partitioning isn't working and format the entire drive. The code it already typed up. Just merge. No need to re-invent the wheel.

Windows Beta's are more complete than this. This sounds like more of an early Alpha build.

Oh please, this is utter bullshit and you know it. No product is complete when it comes out in beta, and hell, majority of products are still in "beta" and bug-ridden even on launch. 

Windows 8.1 ring a bell? 

Gaming Rig - CPU: i5 3570k @ Stock | GPU: EVGA Geforce 560Ti 448 Core Classified Ultra | RAM: Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 8GB DDR3 1600 | SSD: Crucial M4 128GB | HDD: 3TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB WD Caviar Black, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Case: Antec Lanboy Air | KB: Corsair Vengeance K70 Cherry MX Blue | Mouse: Corsair Vengeance M95 | Headset: Steelseries Siberia V2

Main Rig: -FX8150 -32gb Kingston HyperX BLUE -120gb Kingston HyperX SSD -1TB WD Black -ASUS R9 270 DCUII OC -Corsair 300r -Full specs on Profile

Other Devices: -One Plus One 64gb Sandstone Black -Canon T5 -Moto G -Pebble Smartwatch -Nintendo 2DS -G27 Racing Wheel

#PlugYourStuff - 720penis - 1080penis - #KilledMyWife - #LinusButtPlug - #HashtagsAreALifestyle - CAR BOUGHT: 2010 Corolla

downloaded it but have no idea how to install it 

If you tell a big enough lie and tell it frequently enough it will be believed.

-Adolf Hitler 

Oh please, this is utter bullshit and you know it. No product is complete when it comes out in beta, and hell, majority of products are still in "beta" and bug-ridden even on launch. 

Windows 8.1 ring a bell? 

Oh please, you are just being a fan boy of Linux. Can't handle that Valve screwed up SteamOS badly.

I don't get why you are upset. You can get your favorite Linux distro, which all work fine, and provide a fine experience, and install Steam and run Big Picture Mode, and you'll get, get a far better experience.

Just installed windows 8.1 a few days ago so steam OS is out of question for me 

There is no use in downloading it currently and having it shit in my system!

FX 6300 @ 4.2 Gigahurtz 1.325V ,  ASRock 970 Extreme 4 mobo  ,  Kingston Hyperx Blu 2X4GB @1600Mhz  , Asus GTX 960 DCU ii Black OC  , Hyper 212 Evo , Samsung 850 Evo 250 GB , WD 1 TB caviar Green , Xonar DG sound card , Seasonic M12ii Evo 620W PSU , Corsair 200R case ,4 random case fans.

Beta means you have already done, and just requires polishing.

Linux based OS are Open Source, I don't get why these essential features, like partitioning isn't working and format the entire drive. The code it already typed up. Just merge. No need to re-invent the wheel.

beta means it is still in development, there are still bugs, but it is usable, and because of this they relese it for people to use and report bugs they haven't found, beta isn't supposed to be treated like launch

beta means it is still in development, there are still bugs, but it is usable, and because of this they relese it for people to use and report bugs they haven't found, beta isn't supposed to be treated like launch

Yes. Of course!

But in this case, it's not complete.

-> No BIOS support (only UEFI, and even then, it's picky, despite using Linux based OS)

-> No AMD graphic card support.

-> No drive partitions support.

-> Missing big features like streaming.

-> Complicated to setup.

SteamOS is not Beta.. it's alpha. Clear and simple.

Yes. Of course!

But in this case, it's not complete.

-> No BIOS support (only UEFI, and even then, it's picky, despite using Linux based OS)

-> No AMD graphic card support.

-> No drive partitions support.

-> Missing big features like streaming.

-> Complicated to setup.

SteamOS is not Beta.. it's alpha. Clear and simple.

It's not finished, of course, that's why its beta, they don't wan't everyone just going for it yet, they still have stuff to do, they just want you to help them find bugs.

It's not finished, of course, that's why its beta, they don't wan't everyone just going for it yet, they still have stuff to do, they just want you to help them find bugs.

In the works -> Alpha

Requires polishing, and perhaps missing few minor features -> Beta

"We believe it's ready for release, but want to be extra sure that all is fine" -> Release Candidate

You guys are bickering over useless nomenclature. It's far from a finished product. Just leave it at that. I do agree that it is lacking too many features to do a proper testing with the general public.

Spoiler

Gaming PC

• SSUPD Meshlicious White Full Mesh
  • Corsair SF650 Platinum
  • ASrock B550 Phantom Gaming ITX/ax (Won a giveaway from OptimumTech)
  • Ryzen 5 5600X w/ Scythe Big Shuriken 3
  • 2x8gb G.Skill Flare X @3200 CL14
  • PowerColor Gigabyte RX 6750 XT
  • Storage:
    • Samsung 970 Evo NVME
    • Samsung 860 Evo 2.5"
    • MyDigitalSSD BP4 250gb (mSATA inside 2.5" enclosure)
  • W11Pro
  • AOC C24G1 + Dell S2415H
  • Cheap CyerPower keyboard (Wooting 60HE coming later this year)
  • Glorious Model O Matte White
  • LTT Northern Lights DeskPad 1000mm x 500mm
  • FX Audio Dac-X6 + Monoprice Modern Retro + Fifine Studio Condenser Mic

Media Server

• Rosewill RSV-L4412U 12-bay hotswap
  • Unraid 6.9.2
  • Asrock B450 Steel Legend
  • Ryzen 5 3600
  • 2x8gb DDR4
  • LSI 9207-8I
  • 9x 2tb IronWolf • 2x 2tb WD Red • 1x 14tb WD Shucked White Label
  • MSI GTX 1050 Ti

Reading coments on the interwebs, and apparently it's a mess:

-> System must have UEFI bios. Does not support traditional BIOS

Those that got it working, just says it's just big picture mode. Can't do anything else. Steaming feature isn't working. Visibly getting less gaming performance.

Of course, I haven't tried myself, so I don't know if the above is any true. But it doesn't look like people are having a good time with it, that's for sure.

1) It's in beta, both features coming.

2) There are two different install methods for SteamOS. '''WARNING: BOTH METHODS WILL ERASE EVERYTHING ON THE MACHINE''' - http://steamcommunity.com/groups/steamuniverse/discussions/1/648814395741989999/ It's in the damn FAQ, l2read. 

3) http://steamdb.info/blog/35/ unofficial, but matching md5 hash. 

4) As for big picture, again, FAQ. 

Note most of this was not to run Steam OS but Linux OS's:

1. Nvidia is the way to go and even at that the drivers will not fully support everything and still have issues. We use Nvidia cards at work for 30+ workstations running Linux and ever so often we still get random lockups and crashes. We tried AMD and they are a PITA! Beta or what ever they are terrible! Even after you get it to work don't dare update it as you'll go back down the same time sink of getting the driver to work, if you do use AMD you better be good at the Linux command prompt or you'll be hating life after you bought a top of the line GPU and all you get is 640x480 and a shell prompt :D

2. Never ever install a Beta OS on a drive with something you value, heck make sure its disconnected from the computer so it has no chance of hosing you. Heck I remove/disconnect all secondary drives when doing any OS install (for any future install anyone does, you're just rolling the dice if you leave a valuable drive in during an OS install). If you don't use a dedicated drive for this "test" you will most likely shot yourself in the foot sooner or later.

I roll with sigs off so I have no idea what you're advertising.

This is NOT the signature you are looking for.

Oh please, you are just being a fan boy of Linux. Can't handle that Valve screwed up SteamOS badly.

I don't get why you are upset. You can get your favorite Linux distro, which all work fine, and provide a fine experience, and install Steam and run Big Picture Mode, and you'll get, get a far better experience.

Interesting how you jump to fanboy when you've been fanboying the hell out of Windows 8. 

I'm not upset. Valve didn't promise a finished product with this release, they said it isn't finished, and to wait until 2014 if you're not comfortable getting your hands dirty. Complaining about SteamOS being an unfinished product is pointless, because they didn't promise it and not deliver. The finished product is yet to come. Half the things you mention are already in SteamOS, the rest are obviously coming.

The overall tone of your original post is this: people complain about SteamOS being a mess -> shitty product. 

Whether a product is Alpha or Beta, the conclusion is still the same: the product is not finished. Regardless of whether features are missing or not. Steam Machines won't be being properly unveiled until CES 2014, which means actual release products probably won't be till mid 2014 - plenty of time for Valve to get SteamOS to a release candidate state - with the help of Linux community developers. 

Interesting how you jump to fanboy when you've been fanboying the hell out of Windows 8.

I already stated my complained on Windows in general and Windows 8. The list is long.

I'm not upset. Valve didn't promise a finished product with this release, they said it isn't finished, and to wait until 2014 if you're not comfortable getting your hands dirty. Complaining about SteamOS being an unfinished product is pointless, because they didn't promise it and not deliver. The finished product is yet to come. Half the things you mention are already in SteamOS, the rest are obviously coming.

They are marketing it as Beta. Not early release. Not developer preview, or anything like that.

The overall tone of your original post is this: people complain about SteamOS being a mess -> shitty product.

That is what people concluded, therefor that is what I conclude, as I mentioned, it was from observations.