Anyone downloading/downloaded Steam OS ?

kizoku_95

I downloaded it but it doesn't boot if I extract SteamOSInstaller.zip to my USB and try to boot it... :(

Hello and Welcome to LTT Forum!

If you are a new member, please read the rules located in "Forum News and Info". Thanks!  :)

Linus Tech Tips Forum Code of Conduct           FAQ           Privacy Policy & Legal Disclaimer

I installed it and as i though i need to wait for intel driver support yey Optimus :(( but the installer worked fine for me.

Needs Update

Yes, have installed it on a UEFI laptop and in VMWare, tho i dont have the hardware to run it at its full potential nor have i played a game on it yet the OS its self is brilliant.

Yes, I am installing it now

Also there seems to be some AMD graphics support as the system is packaged with FGLRX, the Proprietary AMD graphics drivers. Will attempt to get them running.

Arch Linux on Samsung 840 EVO 120GB: Startup finished in 1.334s (kernel) + 224ms (userspace) = 1.559s | U mad windoze..?

At this moment in time, I am running SteamOS on an AMD graphics card

Though: 

There is no resolution support, the window manager (if you can even call it that) has defaulted to what appears to be 1024x768 resolution.

Games don't seem to want to run from the Steam DE, I only tried KSP atm, Im going to test in GNOME first (which should just work)

So basically SteamOS is more Steam Desktop Environment. In the end, if you want a linux gaming PC, install *ubuntu and steam and play.

If you want a console like system then wait for SteamOS to support more stuff.

Arch Linux on Samsung 840 EVO 120GB: Startup finished in 1.334s (kernel) + 224ms (userspace) = 1.559s | U mad windoze..?

Yes. Of course!But in this case, it's not complete.-> No BIOS support (only UEFI, and even then, it's picky, despite using Linux based OS)-> No AMD graphic card support.-> No drive partitions support.-> Missing big features like streaming.-> Complicated to setup.SteamOS is not Beta.. it's alpha. Clear and simple.

I got it to boot in a bios but I had to go through a series of boot loaders and it was painful

Yes, have installed it on a UEFI laptop and in VMWare, tho i dont have the hardware to run it at its full potential nor have i played a game on it yet the OS its self is brilliant.

It's just big picture 0_o

I am going to dual boot my pc in mark II of Steam OS

It destroys every partition of a drive

Oh please, this is utter bullshit and you know it. No product is complete when it comes out in beta, and hell, majority of products are still in "beta" and bug-ridden even on launch. 

Windows 8.1 ring a bell?

Windows 8.1 is amazing once you add classic shell I have had zero issues

It destroys every partition of a drive

Well, I'll have to install windows after steam OS

Compatible with Windows 95

Well, I'll have to install windows after steam OS

I hope you know what you are doing when partitioning drives. SteamOS splits itself into 5 partitions on your drive, formatted for EFI boot.

You'll need to shrink one partition down safely without breaking SteamOS.

I hope you know what you are doing when partitioning drives. SteamOS splits itself into 5 partitions on your drive, formatted for EFI boot.

You'll need to shrink one partition down safely without breaking SteamOS.

I'm sure there will be a tutorial for it when I come to do it :)

Compatible with Windows 95

I'm almost certain since its Debian based, You'd be able to get it working on AMD GPU's, You may have to inject drivers before hand or use the generic ones and install them afterwards+. You would have to do it before you run the Scripts that install and optimise Steam Big picture.

Since big picture is seemingly installed afterwards I'm wondering if you could just install any Debian based distro and presuming you have all the dependant files, run their script.

Or you could wait until next year like they suggest and run the finished version.

One Steam to rule them all, One Sale to find them, One Sale to bring them all and with their wallets, bind them! - r/pcmasterrace 17/01/2014

Spoiler
  • CPU: Intel Core i7 6700k
  • CPU Cooler: CM Hyper 212+ 
  • RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2400Mhz (2x8GB)
  • GPU: Gigabyte G1 R9 390 
  • Mobo: Asus Z170-AR
  • PSU: Antec High Current Gamer 900W 
  • Storage: 240GB intel 520 SSD (OS), Sandisk 128GB SSD(Other OS) 2x 2TB Seagate Barracuda 
  • Case: Fractal Design R4

I'm almost certain since its Debian based, You'd be able to get it working on AMD GPU's, You may have to inject drivers before hand or use the generic ones and install them afterwards+. You would have to do it before you run the Scripts that install and optimise Steam Big picture.

Since big picture is seemingly installed afterwards I'm wondering if you could just install any Debian based distro and presuming you have all the dependant files, run their script.

Or you could wait until next year like they suggest and run the finished version.

I did just this, but its not the OS that doesn't support it that is the problem its the desktop environment that doesn't work very well, it doesn't detect the aspect ratio and game don't take focus when launched.

In fact steam OS even has AMD drivers pre loaded (package is FGLRX)

I did just this, but its not the OS that doesn't support it that is the problem its the desktop environment that doesn't work very well, it doesn't detect the aspect ratio and game don't take focus when launched.

In fact steam OS even has AMD drivers pre loaded (package is FGLRX)

is there a .conf to manually configure?

One Steam to rule them all, One Sale to find them, One Sale to bring them all and with their wallets, bind them! - r/pcmasterrace 17/01/2014

Spoiler
  • CPU: Intel Core i7 6700k
  • CPU Cooler: CM Hyper 212+ 
  • RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2400Mhz (2x8GB)
  • GPU: Gigabyte G1 R9 390 
  • Mobo: Asus Z170-AR
  • PSU: Antec High Current Gamer 900W 
  • Storage: 240GB intel 520 SSD (OS), Sandisk 128GB SSD(Other OS) 2x 2TB Seagate Barracuda 
  • Case: Fractal Design R4

is there a .conf to manually configure?

I didn't actually bother looking, I really should have, even then I couldn't get games to show in the foreground