The IEEE 802.3bs Ethernet Specification has arrived - Possible 400Gbps - Wow...

Just now, Dabombinable said:

I was talking about Gigabit ethernet.

Yeah and this topic is about 400 gigabit in switches. The 1 gigabit being rare comment is gigabit internet. 

1 minute ago, mynameisjuan said:

gigabit internet vs gigabit lan port. Two completely different things. 

It's funny because this is really more applicable to datacenters and top layer distribution, going to be basically zero effect at all on general internet.

6 minutes ago, leadeater said:

It's funny because this is really more applicable to datacenters and top layer distribution, going to be basically zero effect at all on general internet.

Yeah his point was gig being rare in ports when the comment was meant rare as in internet. 

This is meant more for trunks IMO. But yeah has zero to do with improving internet speeds. 

A lot of web companies are pushing hard for 400Gb in the datacenter so I just hope I can get me some juicy 400Gb Spirent traffic cards in the lab before too long :D

Edit:

Speaking of switches, there aren't any currently on the market that I'm aware of with 200Gb or 400Gb interfaces, curious to see who will be first on that and what issues they might see. I think I remember seeing a couple single or dual port linecards for some ONT boxes but I want high scale :D

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

16 minutes ago, mynameisjuan said:

Yeah and this topic is about 400 gigabit in switches. The 1 gigabit being rare comment is gigabit internet. 

Still not seeing how Gigabit internet was being referred to in the OP.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

5 minutes ago, Dabombinable said:

Still not seeing how Gigabit internet was being referred to in the OP.

The comment on how gigabit is still rare refers to internet...then you referred to how gig has been in your laptop for a while which is apples and oranges. 

10 minutes ago, mynameisjuan said:

The comment on how gigabit is still rare refers to internet...then you referred to how gig has been in your laptop for a while which is apples and oranges. 

My point was...that its been around for a long time and I'm surprised that its still rare in the computers in some places. And there was no reference to the internet at all in the OP.

Ethernet hasn't really moved in the "Public" space of 10Gbps for a while. Heck, even 1Gbps is rare to see in the various places.

PMSL

noice. Time for me to upgrade to 10Gbps

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

2 minutes ago, Dabombinable said:

My point was...that its been around for a long time and I'm surprised that its still rare in the computers in some places. And there was no reference to the internet at all in the OP.

But its not rare in public spaces. Like at all. Devices that are 100megabit are because they will never use more than that. 

1 minute ago, mynameisjuan said:

But its not rare in public spaces. Like at all. Devices that are 100megabit are because they will never use more than that. 

Hence I said after thinking on it for a bit:

Still don't get how 1Gbps is rare.....

PMSL

working for a telco myself, this is great news not for telco's to purchased 400Gbps but 100Gbps switches to come down in price.

They are Millions because of the backplane required for multiple ports.

Most Telco's are still running on many 40Gbps based services, 100Gbps switches are too expensive to justify. 

CPU | AMD Ryzen 7 7700X | GPU | ASUS TUF RTX3080 | PSU | Corsair RM850i | RAM 2x16GB X5 6000Mhz CL32 MOTHERBOARD | Asus TUF Gaming X670E-PLUS WIFI | 
STORAGE 
| 2x Samsung Evo 970 256GB NVME  | COOLING 
| Hard Line Custom Loop O11XL Dynamic + EK Distro + EK Velocity  | MONITOR | Samsung G9 Neo

2 hours ago, Alexp10v2 said:

True - but theoretically it would be possible.

Not even close. These speeds are high enough to completely saturate dual channel DDR4 at 2400 Mhz. There's no way you could get an SSD to write stuff this fast. You would need at least like 20 Optane SSDs in RAID 0 to get even close. That's not even to mention you'll probably hit a CPU bottleneck way before that.

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

36 minutes ago, Maticks said:

working for a telco myself, this is great news not for telco's to purchased 400Gbps but 100Gbps switches to come down in price.

They are Millions because of the backplane required for multiple ports.

Most Telco's are still running on many 40Gbps based services, 100Gbps switches are too expensive to justify. 

At least from what I've seen in the data center space with how quickly 100Gb ports have dropped in price to nearly match 40Gb port cost, I wouldn't be surprised if some ISPs entertained the idea of maybe, at least in certain areas, skipping 100Gb all together and waiting to see how 200Gb and 400Gb play out. Arguably service provider gear does cost more since it's more feature rich in regards to a lot of data center gear but who knows how things will shake out.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

A product that's ready for that  400GbE connection

https://www.broadcom.com/company/news/product-releases/2323373

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

4 hours ago, tryhard techy1169 said:

hopefully within the next 2 years big data centers and ISP's will be upgrading to this standard and making bandwidth caps laughable. once this is adopted it will likely mean consumers get better speeds and everything moves that much faster. very exciting times! now if only fiber deployment would speed along then we all would never have to worry about internet speeds again!

I do wish it was like this D:

I once did the unthinkable, back many headphones ago...

I split an audio split, again

It will become mainstream when Apple adopts it.

12 minutes ago, RorzNZ said:

It will become mainstream when Apple adopts it.

Well....its going to be a long wait then because they don't even have 10Gbps Ethernet without a thunderbolt 2 adapter (with the one on their site costing $949.95 AUD https://www.apple.com/au/shop/product/HFJX2X/A/promise-sanlink2-thunderbolt-2-to-10-gbs-ethernet-adapter).

PMSL

4 hours ago, gabrielcarvfer said:

I just couldn't think of a way to put it, when I typed it, sub-protocols came to mind. Thanks for the info.

Ryze of the Phoenix: 
CPU:      AMD Ryzen 5 3600 @ 4.15GHz
Ram:      64GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 @ 3200Mhz (Samsung B-Die & Nanya Technology)
GPU:      MSI RTX 3060 12GB Aero ITX
Storage: Crucial P3 1TB NVMe Gen 4 SSD, 1TB Crucial MX500, Spinning Rust (7TB Internal, 16TB External - All in-use),
PSU:      Cooler Master MWE Gold 750w V2 PSU (Thanks LTT PSU Tier List)
Cooler:   BeQuite! Prue Rock 2 Black Edition
Case:     ThermalTake Versa J22 TG

Passmark 10 Score: 6096.4         CPU-z Score: 4189 MT         Unigine Valley (DX11 @1080p Ultra): 5145         CryEngine Neon Noir (1080p Ultra): 9579

Audio Setup:                  Scarlett 2i2, AudioTechnica AT2020 XLR, Mackie CR3 Monitors, Sennheiser HD559 headphones, HyperX Cloud II Headset, KZ ES4 IEM (Cyan)

Laptop:                            MacBook Pro 2017 (Intel i5 7360U, 8GB DDR3, 128GB SSD, 2x Thunderbolt 3 Ports - No Touch Bar) Catalina & Boot Camp Win10 Pro

Primary Phone:               Xiaomi Mi 11T Pro 5G 256GB (Snapdragon 888)

3 minutes ago, RorzNZ said:

The iMac Pro has 10 gigabit.

Cripes. $7,299 to over $20,000 fully optioned out......ok that reduces the time frame a bit but still-its going to be a while until it hits consumer iMac/Macbook.

PMSL

5 minutes ago, Dabombinable said:

Cripes. $7,299 to over $20,000 fully optioned out......ok that reduces the time frame a bit but still-its going to be a while until it hits consumer iMac/Macbook.

Definitely - but Apple is certianly a 'trend setter'. We should expect the cost to lower once (and really only once cause Apple) other companies get on it.

5 hours ago, Alexp10v2 said:

Heck, even 1Gbps is rare to see in the various places.

1Gbps internet is actually super cheap where I live.  For $80 USD, I get 1Gbps internet from AT&T.

33 minutes ago, RorzNZ said:

Definitely - but Apple is certianly a 'trend setter'. We should expect the cost to lower once (and really only once cause Apple) other companies get on it.

There's been gaming motherboards for a while already with 10Gb, trend setting Apple is not in the desktop space anymore. Then there is the Asus 10Gb switch that came out a short while ago. 10Gb hasn't been a thing because there hasn't been any consumer 10Gb switches simple as that, iMac Pro is getting plugged in to much more expensive 10Gb switches than the aforementioned Asus switch.

Edit:

Apple doing things makes people interested in Apple aware of said technology then they start to notice it more, hey presto Apple started something. Nope just unaware till you cared to look ;).

5 hours ago, Lurick said:

Speaking of switches, there aren't any currently on the market that I'm aware of with 200Gb or 400Gb interfaces

Totally going to be D-Link first.... NOT. My actual guess would be Mellanox.

https://www.enterprisetech.com/2017/07/06/400gb-open-ethernet-switch-mellanox/

Spectrum-2 provides Ethernet connectivity for up to 16 ports of 400GbE, 32 ports of 200GbE, 64 ports of 100GbE and 128 ports of 50GbE and 25GbE, and enables, according to Mellanox, port density designed to build switch platforms for cloud, hyperscale, enterprise datacenter, big data, artificial intelligence, financial and storage, among other applications.

SN3700
32-port Non-blocking 200GbE Open Ethernet Spine Switch System 

http://www.mellanox.com/page/products_dyn?product_family=280&mtag=sn3000_label

http://www.mellanox.com/related-docs/prod_eth_switches/BR_SN3000_Series.pdf

3 hours ago, leadeater said:

There's been gaming motherboards for a while already with 10Gb, trend setting Apple is not in the desktop space anymore. Then there is the Asus 10Gb switch that came out a short while ago. 10Gb hasn't been a thing because there hasn't been any consumer 10Gb switches simple as that, iMac Pro is getting plugged in to much more expensive 10Gb switches than the aforementioned Asus switch.

Edit:

Apple doing things makes people interested in Apple aware of said technology then they start to notice it more, hey presto Apple started something. Nope just unaware till you cared to look ;).

There’s a big difference between having a solution and popularising it. Whether people like it or not Apple is always at the forefront for marketing these new technologies, even though it’s been out for a while. Although with Ethernet and Wifi etc it’s inevitable.