The IEEE 802.3bs Ethernet Specification has arrived - Possible 400Gbps - Wow...

Source: https://overclock3d.net/news/misc_hardware/the_ieee_802_3bs_400gbps_and_200gbps_ethernet_specification_has_arrived/1

Old Image:

Spoiler

patch_cables_184602817-56a1ada45f9b58b7d0c1a16a.jpg.aa9075ba37b081494c2fa81806eb6981.jpg

(Not image from the article - but added due to Ethernet being relevant)

New Image - since this is technically Fibre, but still an Ethernet standard.

Spoiler

network.jpg.5d45e6ba32afc5517f9a19784e367b01.jpg

The IEEE (Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers) has just approved a new standard for Ethernet with the capability to allow for

200Gbps and 400gbps Ethernet speeds - great for cloud computing and data centers - also for Enthusiasts, *Cough, Linus*.

At its max throughput, the 400Gbps allows for the transfer of files at speeds of 50GB PER SECOND.
But what does that mean for the average PC gamer - if you had this connection, theoretically you would be able to download all of GTA V
(around 65GB) in UNDER 2 SECONDS.

Don't get your hopes too high though as this is NOT coming to desktop users (I assume yet - in the future, maybe?).

Here is a quote from the Chairman of the Ethernet Alliance:

IEEE 802.3bs represents a transformational moment in the move to next generation of networks. The delivery of 200G and 400G is arriving just in time to meet growing needs for reliable, high-speed connectivity from a diverse array of applications and markets

My thoughts?

Holy balls. This is awesome. While it will not be for consumer use - yet, I assume this will trickle down in the future.

Personally - I feel like Ethernet has been stagnant for a while with speeds. While WiFi has become more popular over the recent years especially with speed increases,

Ethernet hasn't really moved in the "Public" space of 10Gbps for a while. Heck, even 1Gbps is rare to see in the various places.

Perhaps this movement will help give the push on making these "older" speeds, the new standard for consumer use.

While it's not obtainable right now - the future sure looks interesting, especially at 400Gbps.

Your thoughts? Please leave them down below :)

EDIT:

After looking on the Wikipedia page for the 802.3 standards, looking at the 802.3bs, the 200Gbps is achievable over Single Mode Fibre, while the 400Gbps 

is achievable over optical physical media.

(https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IEEE_802.3)

Ryze of the Phoenix: 
CPU:      AMD Ryzen 5 3600 @ 4.15GHz
Ram:      64GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 @ 3200Mhz (Samsung B-Die & Nanya Technology)
GPU:      MSI RTX 3060 12GB Aero ITX
Storage: Crucial P3 1TB NVMe Gen 4 SSD, 1TB Crucial MX500, Spinning Rust (7TB Internal, 16TB External - All in-use),
PSU:      Cooler Master MWE Gold 750w V2 PSU (Thanks LTT PSU Tier List)
Cooler:   BeQuite! Prue Rock 2 Black Edition
Case:     ThermalTake Versa J22 TG

Passmark 10 Score: 6096.4         CPU-z Score: 4189 MT         Unigine Valley (DX11 @1080p Ultra): 5145         CryEngine Neon Noir (1080p Ultra): 9579

Audio Setup:                  Scarlett 2i2, AudioTechnica AT2020 XLR, Mackie CR3 Monitors, Sennheiser HD559 headphones, HyperX Cloud II Headset, KZ ES4 IEM (Cyan)

Laptop:                            MacBook Pro 2017 (Intel i5 7360U, 8GB DDR3, 128GB SSD, 2x Thunderbolt 3 Ports - No Touch Bar) Catalina & Boot Camp Win10 Pro

Primary Phone:               Xiaomi Mi 11T Pro 5G 256GB (Snapdragon 888)

1 minute ago, Rune said:

With the direction ISPs are moving we won't need anything more than 10base-T soon.

ISDN, 2b's and a d dawg!

It's not like a consumer would be able to use that speed to actually download GTA V in that amount of time, because we're limited by other things. 

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

hopefully within the next 2 years big data centers and ISP's will be upgrading to this standard and making bandwidth caps laughable. once this is adopted it will likely mean consumers get better speeds and everything moves that much faster. very exciting times! now if only fiber deployment would speed along then we all would never have to worry about internet speeds again!

1 minute ago, Godlygamer23 said:

It's not like a consumer would be able to use that speed to actually download GTA V in that amount of time, because we're limited by other things. 

True - but theoretically it would be possible.

Ryze of the Phoenix: 
Ram:      64GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 @ 3200Mhz (Samsung B-Die & Nanya Technology)
Storage: Crucial P3 1TB NVMe Gen 4 SSD, 1TB Crucial MX500, Spinning Rust (7TB Internal, 16TB External - All in-use),

Passmark 10 Score: 6096.4         CPU-z Score: 4189 MT         Unigine Valley (DX11 @1080p Ultra): 5145         CryEngine Neon Noir (1080p Ultra): 9579

Audio Setup:                  Scarlett 2i2, AudioTechnica AT2020 XLR, Mackie CR3 Monitors, Sennheiser HD559 headphones, HyperX Cloud II Headset, KZ ES4 IEM (Cyan)

Laptop:                            MacBook Pro 2017 (Intel i5 7360U, 8GB DDR3, 128GB SSD, 2x Thunderbolt 3 Ports - No Touch Bar) Catalina & Boot Camp Win10 Pro

4 minutes ago, tryhard techy1169 said:

hopefully within the next 2 years big data centers and ISP's will be upgrading to this standard and making bandwidth caps laughable. once this is adopted it will likely mean consumers get better speeds and everything moves that much faster. very exciting times! now if only fiber deployment would speed along then we all would never have to worry about internet speeds again!

What the heck kind of fantasy land are you living in?

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

Now people with 10+ nvme drives in raid 0 can saturate the write speeds over an Ethernet cable! Quickly, someone design a dual socket Epyc server with 802.3bs and 10 nvme m.2 connectors!

Slightly more serious, why did they add bs to the end of the specification (802.3bs)? Was it coincidence or is this a joke?

1 minute ago, tjcater said:

Slightly more serious, why did they add bs to the end of the specification (802.3bs)? Was it coincidence or is this a joke?

It's just a coincidence - there are many different "sub-protocols" to the 802.x standards, in this case - 802.3bs
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IEEE_802.3

Ryze of the Phoenix: 

Just now, Alexp10v2 said:

It's just a coincidence - there are many different "sub-protocols" to the 802.x standards, in this case - 802.3bs
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IEEE_802.3

Makes sense, well I'll just wait for the improved IPoAC specification in April then.

Honestly not sure why this is "big news". We already have 100gigabit qsfps which even for ISPs are extremely overkill until you get to transports and can be lagged to 400gbps already. 

Also OP, you might want to switch your pic to an SPF based switch because this is not ethernet based, its fiber. 

Still don't get how 1Gbps is rare.....

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

16 minutes ago, Dabombinable said:

Still don't get how 1Gbps is rare.....

Its expensive upgrading legacy equipment. This year we are upgrade a 25 mile radius of DSL to fiber and will cost upwards of 30 millions dollars. Also think how long thats going to take to pay off at $50/month for ~1000 customers which is about 50 years so part of a problem is incentive which is fine because they are a business too. 

22 minutes ago, mynameisjuan said:

Its expensive upgrading legacy equipment. This year we are upgrade a 25 mile radius of DSL to fiber and will cost upwards of 30 millions dollars. Also think how long thats going to take to pay off at $50/month for ~1000 customers which is about 50 years so part of a problem is incentive which is fine because they are a business too. 

I had a laptop from 2006 that had Gigabit. And it was the bottom of the line Toshiba Tecra M5. Then I've seen even all bar the cheapest computer from the last 4-5 years with Gigabit built into them (whether it be desktop or laptop) and motherboards dating back to 2004 (Intel reference mATX board was my experience).

Edit: Gigabit has been around since 1999-2000 BTW.

PMSL

Just now, Dabombinable said:

I had a laptop from 2006 that had Gigabit. And it was the bottom of the line Toshiba Tecra M5. Then I've seen even all bar the cheapest computer from the last 4-5 years with Gigabit built into them (whether it be desktop or laptop) and motherboards dating back to 2004 (Intel reference mATX board was my experience).

This has nothing to do with gigabit ports on PCs

Just now, mynameisjuan said:

This has nothing to do with gigabit ports on PCs

Laptop=mobile PC. And again, its been around since 1999-2000 so around 18 years.

PMSL

1 minute ago, Dabombinable said:

Laptop=mobile PC. And again, its been around since 1999-2000 so around 18 years.

Still has nothing to do with this topic

1 hour ago, Alexp10v2 said:

Don't get your hopes too high though as this is NOT coming to desktop users (I assume yet - in the future, maybe?).

Lets try and get 10Gb commonly used on desktops first ;)

Just now, leadeater said:

Lets try and get 10Gb commonly used on desktops first ;)

How about lets find a true use for gigabit other than file transfers and game downloads lol

4 minutes ago, mynameisjuan said:

Still has nothing to do with this topic

Ethernet hasn't really moved in the "Public" space of 10Gbps for a while. Heck, even 1Gbps is rare to see in the various places.

Perhaps this movement will help give the push on making these "older" speeds, the new standard for consumer use.

It sort of does.

PMSL

1 minute ago, Dabombinable said:

It sort of does.

gigabit internet vs gigabit lan port. Two completely different things. 

2 minutes ago, mynameisjuan said:

How about lets find a true use for gigabit other than file transfers and game downloads lol

Um... 16k120 HDR 3D + 60 object Atmos ahhh.. picture-in-picture with another 16k120 HDR 3D. Ha found one B|

1 minute ago, mynameisjuan said:

gigabit internet vs gigabit lan port. Two completely different things. 

I was talking about Gigabit ethernet.

PMSL