New mac pro - no keyboard or mouse!

CameronUK

Dat Mac so Pro.

Le Bastardo+ 

i7 4770k + OCUK Fathom HW labs Black Ice 240 rad + Mayhem's Gigachew orange + 16GB Avexir Core Orange 2133 + Gigachew GA-Z87X-OC + 2x Gigachew WF 780Ti SLi + SoundBlaster Z + 1TB Crucial M550 + 2TB Seagate Barracude 7200rpm + LG BDR/DVDR + Superflower Leadex 1KW Platinum + NZXT Switch 810 Gun Metal + Dell U2713H + Logitech G602 + Ducky DK-9008 Shine 3 MX Brown

Red Alert

FX 8320 AMD = Noctua NHU12P = 8GB Avexir Blitz 2000 = ASUS M5A99X EVO R2.0 = Sapphire Radeon R9 290 TRI-X = 1TB Hitachi Deskstar & 500GB Hitachi Deskstar = Samsung DVDR/CDR = SuperFlower Golden Green HX 550W 80 Plus Gold = Xigmatek Utguard = AOC 22" LED 1920x1080 = Logitech G110 = SteelSeries Sensei RAW

yes but, I paid $1200 total for my setup

$1200 gets you a macbook air or a 2006 mac.

you could get a Mac that performs similar for not much more than that. including a 27" IPS monitor, so what ?!

And if your are so sucessfull and make so much more videos than your friend, you shouldn't have a problem to afford something better anyway?

Mini-Desktop: NCASE M1 Build Log
Mini-Server: M350 Build Log

Except you can just build a PC workstation with equivalent parts for over a $1000 less and still be able to upgrade/replace components AND don't have a trash can computer that will probably get so hot it can incinerate paper.

If you actually buy from Dell, HP, Lenovo, etc. a comparable workstation probably wouldn't be cheaper at all.

you could get a Mac that performs similar for not much more than that. including a 27" IPS monitor, so what ?!

And if your are so sucessfull and make so much more videos than your friend, you shouldn't have a problem to afford something better anyway?

I am donating my time lol, he is the only one getting paid. I am "his" apprentice. I don't hate macs, frankly I do plan to buy a mac mini in a  few weeks simply to edit audio on. Because they are pretty awesome 

#KilledMyWife 

LTT's Resident Black Star

I should get an award for still being here at this point 

Except you can just build a PC workstation with equivalent parts for over a $1000 less and still be able to upgrade/replace components AND don't have a trash can computer that will probably get so hot it can incinerate paper.

actually thats only right 2 years from now, apple doesn't update very often and they are actually pretty reasonable right now 

#KilledMyWife 

actually thats only right 2 years from now, apple doesn't update very often and they are actually pretty reasonable right now 

According to the guys over at The Tek, they were able to build an equivalent for ~$1000 less.  For a little over $3000 (starting price) you can get better.  The fact that it only has 12gb of RAM is stupid, especially since they are apparently mixing and matching sizes (may/may not impact performance).  They should have put more in.

Only loss on the PC side is lack of Thunderbolt, which may or may not be important to a user;  considering the extremely low adoption of thunderbolt, it wouldn't be an issue for many.  Also you might need OS X for specific software, but same goes for needing Windows.

| Currently no gaming rig | Dell XPS 13 (9343) |

| Samsung Galaxy Note5 | Gear VR | Nvidia Shield Tab | Xbox One |

If you actually buy from Dell, HP, Lenovo, etc. a comparable workstation probably wouldn't be cheaper at all.

Correct, hence why I said "build" a workstation.

Imma sing you all a song, pls chill now, no need to feel the rustle.

http://youtu.be/OWGNnkReiag

Le Bastardo+ 

i7 4770k + OCUK Fathom HW labs Black Ice 240 rad + Mayhem's Gigachew orange + 16GB Avexir Core Orange 2133 + Gigachew GA-Z87X-OC + 2x Gigachew WF 780Ti SLi + SoundBlaster Z + 1TB Crucial M550 + 2TB Seagate Barracude 7200rpm + LG BDR/DVDR + Superflower Leadex 1KW Platinum + NZXT Switch 810 Gun Metal + Dell U2713H + Logitech G602 + Ducky DK-9008 Shine 3 MX Brown

Red Alert

FX 8320 AMD = Noctua NHU12P = 8GB Avexir Blitz 2000 = ASUS M5A99X EVO R2.0 = Sapphire Radeon R9 290 TRI-X = 1TB Hitachi Deskstar & 500GB Hitachi Deskstar = Samsung DVDR/CDR = SuperFlower Golden Green HX 550W 80 Plus Gold = Xigmatek Utguard = AOC 22" LED 1920x1080 = Logitech G110 = SteelSeries Sensei RAW

According to the guys over at The Tek, they were able to build an equivalent for ~$1000 less.  For a little over $3000 (starting price) you can get better.  The fact that it only has 12gb of RAM is stupid, especially since they are apparently mixing and matching sizes (may/may not impact performance).  They should have put more in.

Only loss on the PC side is lack of Thunderbolt, which may or may not be important to a user;  considering the extremely low adoption of thunderbolt, it wouldn't be an issue for many.  Also you might need OS X for specific software, but same goes for needing Windows.

I know their 'Mac Pro Killer build' and I have said several times on this forum why it is just simply wrong.

They made a better gaming PC and sold it to everyone as workstation.

Correct, hence why I said "build" a workstation.

For a professional who works on a >3000$ PC, the cost of the time it takes to plan, source, build, repair their own PC soon might be even more. If he has a second Mac he could just use a Thunderbolt RAID as main drive and when somehting breaks plug the drive into the thunderbolt port of another mac. This does take less than a minute, to shutdown one Mac, unplug the drive, plug it into the other mac and boot the other mac (this is not possible that way with any windows machine)

I know their 'Mac Pro Killer build' and I have said several times on this forum why it is just simply wrong.

For a professional who works on a >3000$ PC, the cost of the time it takes to plan, source, build, repair their own PC soon might be even more. If he has a second Mac he could just use a Thunderbolt RAID as main drive and when somehting breaks plug the drive into the thunderbolt port of another mac. This does take less than a minute, to shutdown one Mac, unplug the drive, plug it into the other mac and boot the other mac (this is not possible that way with any windows machine)

To add more to what you just said, I find that its kind of hard to find a p.c that is really "aproved" for 24/7 operation, much less a gaming pc. 

#KilledMyWife 

To add more to what you just said, I find that its kind of hard to find a p.c that is really "aproved" for 24/7 operation, much less a gaming pc. 

Most businesses that I have seen use gigabyte Ethernet and not thunderbolt.  Daisy chaining is nice for displays and almost all mobos/gpus have displayport for that.

Also considering all the components inside the Mac are made by companies who manufacture PC components (Intel, AMD, Samsung etc.) you can buy the same stuff on their own. 

I am not saying the Mac Pro sucks, just that there are better alternatives out there for the vast majority of individuals who need a workstation.  Also not an Apple hater, I own Apple products.   

There is this pretty badass option of when you build the macpro... You push the box that says "Mouse and Keyboard" to be added to the order.

I know right.

Shocking!

X-10 - 7980XE - Gigabyte Aorous Gaming 9 - 128GB GSkill TridentZ RGB - SLI Asus GTX 1080 TI Strix
Easy Desk GuideMalware Removal Guide - New mobo, Same OS Guide

I guess they think that if you're enough of a tosser to buy a Mac Pro, then you're more than qualified to spend more on a keyboard too.

Compatible with Windows 95

you're enough of a tosser to buy a Mac Pro, then you're more than qualified to spend more on a keyboard too.

Le Bastardo+ 

Red Alert

That isn't quite the same. Although you've merely changed my analogy but cars are totally different from PC's down to the nook and cranny of enigeering. If they don't advertise it then it should come with it.

I think that actually is a pretty good analogy. Wheels and mice/keyboards are both essential parts of operating the machines they correspond. The ones normally included anyway are inferior to aftermarket (both wheels and mice and keyboards) but they are expected to be included anyway.

"If you do not take your failures seriously you will continue to fail"

On the Apple website and their new mac pros don't come with a keyboard and mouse!! 2500 quid and you don't get a keyboard or mouse! ARE YOU JOKING.

If you're spending £2500 on a computer I'm pretty bloody sure you aren't going to care about spending an extra £50 or so on a keyboard and mouse.

Equivalently priced HP workstation PCs come with such awful quality keyboards and mice that they may as well not bundle them in the first place, personally.

"Be excellent to each other" - Bill and Ted
Community Standards | Guides & Tutorials | Members of Staff

It was too pro that you wouldn't need a mouse or keyboard. It would just control by itself because it is too pro. But people could get get a cheap wired mouse/keyboard combo to fix this. :)

Hello and Welcome to LTT Forum!

If you are a new member, please read the rules located in "Forum News and Info". Thanks!  :)

Linus Tech Tips Forum Code of Conduct           FAQ           Privacy Policy & Legal Disclaimer

Dude be serious if your already spending $2500/$3000 dollars minimum why would they provide you a keyboard and mouse..Yeah you could say that it's stupid however if you're a professional you will have keyboards and mice hanging around your studio/work office.

even alienware give you a mouse and keyboard