Cheap Fake Ebay GPU Thread

iamdarkyoshi

I'm sure you guys have seen some of the fake GPUs being sold on places like ebay. 

This is a thread to document what these cards ACTUALLY are supposed to be, and what BIOS I have found works best. I will NOT be linking to the ebay listings themselves. If you want one for whatever reason, you can find them yourself.

If you haven't heard about these, they somehow take the BIOS of a card and modify the device ID and memory size in order to fake its specs. It'll show up in device manager, nvidia control panel, ect as the card they changed it to, but of course that doesn't make it perform any better.

They lack any fan speed control, and the heatsinks are all aluminium so far.

"1GB 750Ti"

Spoiler

Fake750ti.thumb.jpg.8864cf38a257e172053978ce355e7e5d.jpg

This card genuinely has 1GB of DDR5 onboard, and it is a reference 550Ti PCB.

Here is the BIOS I found to work best on this card: 550ti.rom

I had to desolder the chip and flash it with a CH341A programmer, for some reason it wouldn't flash with NVFlash.

"4GB GT730"

Spoiler

Fake730.jpg.5e3a05e9bfb3b71ae042a2fd938ca577.jpg

Card actually appears to have 768MB of videoram -_-

It also appears to be a GTX 630, as the size of a 730's rom is too large to fit on the BIOS chip.

I have not found a stable bios for this card.

" GTX960 4GB"

Spoiler

Fake960.jpg.d25d8faa7a0f7fd29847cbab96f9a292.jpg

Worst disappointment yet actually. They've changed to an uglier silver shroud as well lol

Its a 768MB GTS 450 with no SLI connector. It will actually run stable with the 1GB 550Ti bios above for some reason, with slightly lower specs.

The closest GTS 450 768MB BIOS I've gotten is this one, and its clocked too high for the card to run correctly: GTS450.rom

If you know how to change the clocks at a BIOS level for this card, please let me know!

A "1GB GTX 650" and "2GB 750Ti" are on the way, along with a "4GB HD 7670"

These cards are pretty bad for the money actually, which surprises nobody really. They have no fan speed control, and the heatsinks are quite crap.

16 minutes ago, iamdarkyoshi said:

Its a 768MB GTS 450 with no SLI connector. It will actually run stable with the 1GB 550Ti bios above for some reason, with slightly lower specs.

Some GTS 450s share the same-ish GF116 die as the 550 Ti. GTS 450 Rev 2

GTS 450 Rev 2 (closest match)

Spoiler

image.png.720aa944fe57c22ed0a5d852c6526be5.png

GTX 550 Ti

Spoiler

image.png.c97c8730d82a8aa24becf2e68c11c84f.png

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

2 minutes ago, DildorTheDecent said:

Some GTS 450s share the same-ish GF116 die as the 550 Ti. GTS 450 Rev 2

GTS 450 Rev 2 (closest match)

Reveal hidden contents

image.png.720aa944fe57c22ed0a5d852c6526be5.png

GTX 550 Ti

Reveal hidden contents

image.png.c97c8730d82a8aa24becf2e68c11c84f.png

Thats what I'm figuring happened here.

With the 550Ti bios on the presumably GTS450 it gave me slightly different specs than the actual 550Ti. The cores do look the same though, GF116

Why did you buy those cards?

To show that they are fake?

Btw I think if you report it to eBay or the site you got it from you will receive an instant refund

1 minute ago, Ethocreeper said:

Btw I think if you report it to eBay or the site you got it from you will receive an instant refund

Oh I know :)

I'm buying these for research purposes. I should probably sell them when I'm done.....

1 minute ago, iamdarkyoshi said:

Oh I know :)

I'm buying these for research purposes. I should probably sell them when I'm done.....

You can just get a refund

If you make a nice report they will just refund without needing return.

After you do that you can sell them or keep them

31 minutes ago, iamdarkyoshi said:

Thats what I'm figuring happened here.

With the 550Ti bios on the presumably GTS450 it gave me slightly different specs than the actual 550Ti. The cores do look the same though, GF116

What is on the die of the presumed GTS 450. Any silkscreen at all?

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

Peek around taobao, which is Chinese equivalent to ebay, there are many more of these scams. I'll post them down so when they do come, you know what's what.

GTX 960 1GB --> GTX 550ti

yup, while they scam foreigners with the same thing, they push things further here.

There's not even a 1GB model of the 960.

TB2dV0Adw1I.eBjSszeXXc2hpXa_!!831233591.

This time the only thing that tells something is the ROP and TMU count, which doesnt match with any modern cards. The closest I can find are the GT 230 v2 and 8800GS, which means this card should be terribly unstable since both of these cards run at about 500MHz on the core.

GTX 550ti --> GTS 450

Why? They wouldnt fake an already cheap and old card right?

TB2XusxtXXXXXb.XXXXXXXXXXXX_!!663411559.

Nope. They provide GPU-Z screenshot again and highlighted the only specs that match which include the name, shader count, and all memory specs but clock speed (as well as some CG artwork to distract you). However, the reference 550ti has a base clock of 900MHz. Why would anyone make a card that's slower than reference with a larger cooler? Also 550ti has 24 ROPs, not 16.

They arent Nvidia specific either.

HD 7670 4GB --> Whatever

HD 7670 never had a 4GB model. It's 512MB and 1GB only. Mobile/mobility version only comes with 1GB

There's even model A and B (the one above is A)

TB269aMjXXXXXXxXXXXXXXXXXXX_!!1735344747

Box (which looks fake as shit)

TB268jKfpXXXXXfXXXXXXXXXXXX_!!1735344747

Yup, AGP and PCIe mentioned together. Also misspelt 'Catalyst' as 'Catakyst'

Another GPU-Z screenshot

TB2lQZPXq8lpuFjy0FpXXaGrpXa_!!1735344747

The original card runs at 800MHz on the core which means it is again slower than reference. Doesnt tell much on the original specs though since the rest of the info shown match. If you do fall for this however, do smack yourself hard.

Edited by Jurrunio

CPU: i7-2600K 4751MHz 1.44V (software) --> 1.47V at the back of the socket Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 (BCLK: 103.3MHz) CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 RAM: Adata XPG 2x8GB DDR3 (XMP: 2133MHz 10-11-11-30 CR2, custom: 2203MHz 10-11-10-26 CR1 tRFC:230 tREFI:14000) GPU: Asus GTX 1070 Dual (Super Jetstream vbios, +70(2025-2088MHz)/+400(8.8Gbps)) SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB (main boot drive), Transcend SSD370 128GB PSU: Seasonic X-660 80+ Gold Case: Antec P110 Silent, 5 intakes 1 exhaust Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz (150Hz max w/ DP, 121Hz max w/ HDMI) TN panel Keyboard: Logitech G610 Orion (Cherry MX Blue) with SteelSeries Apex M260 keycaps Mouse: BenQ Zowie FK1

Model: HP Omen 17 17-an110ca CPU: i7-8750H (0.125V core & cache, 50mV SA undervolt) GPU: GTX 1060 6GB Mobile (+80/+450, 1650MHz~1750MHz 0.78V~0.85V) RAM: 8+8GB DDR4-2400 18-17-17-39 2T Storage: HP EX920 1TB PCIe x4 M.2 SSD + Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA SSD, 128GB Toshiba PCIe x2 M.2 SSD (KBG30ZMV128G) gone cooking externally, 1TB Seagate 7200RPM 2.5" HDD (ST1000LM049-2GH172) left outside Monitor: 1080p 126Hz IPS G-sync

Desktop benching:

Cinebench R15 Single thread:168 Multi-thread: 833 

SuperPi (v1.5 from Techpowerup, PI value output) 16K: 0.100s 1M: 8.255s 32M: 7m 45.93s

• 1 month later...

Hello. I am in possession of a fake gtx 960 4gb that in reality is a 1gb gddr5 with what it seems a 550ti gpu but with only 128 bit memory access making it a gts 450 revision 2.

The card looks very much like the other fake ones but the gpu vrm area uses double MOSFETs with a screwed metal cooler.

I was wondering if there would be someone willing to help identifying the card and possibly identifying a compatible vbios or a way to modify the bios.

The bios chip is missing on the pictures, I have removed it to read it properly on my programmer and I attached the dump below the pictures.

It would be nice to have a database of these cards with their details and possible fixes. I would be willing to contribute.

Cheers

DSCF4058.JPG

DSCF4059.JPG

DSCF4055.JPG

DSCF4056.JPG

VBIOS

fake gtx 960 4gb original.bin

Edited by cromalhao

33 minutes ago, cromalhao said:

Hello. I am in possession of a fake gtx 960 4gb that in reality is a 1gb gddr5 with what it seems a 550ti gpu but with only 128 bit memory access making it a gts 450 revision 2.

The card looks very much like the other fake ones but the gpu vrm area uses double MOSFETs with a screwed metal cooler.

I was wondering if there would be someone willing to help identifying the card and possibly identifying a compatible vbios or a way to modify the bios.

The bios chip is missing on the pictures, I have removed it to read it properly on my programmer and I attached the dump below the pictures.

It would be nice to have a database of these cards with their details and possible fixes. I would be willing to contribute.

Cheers

VBIOS

fake gtx 960 4gb original.bin

You sure yours is a 1GB card? I see you have videoram on both sides. Perhaps they're all 1gigabit modules for a total of 1 gigabyte.

I get all my BIOSs from here: https://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/ just select what specs your card is and pick the lowest clocked bios you can find. You may want to try the unverified uploads.

The memory chips are

Samsung K4G10325FE-HC05

GDDR5 SGRAM
1Gb E-die 8Banks
32Mx32

so 1Gb = 128MB each - Total 1GB

1 minute ago, cromalhao said:

The memory chips are

Samsung K4G10325FE-HC05

GDDR5 SGRAM
1Gb E-die 8Banks
32Mx32

so 1Gb = 128MB each - Total 1GB

Interesting. Yeah I guess try any one of these, I'd start with as low of clocks as possible

https://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/?architecture=NVIDIA&manufacturer=&model=GTS+450&version=&interface=&memType=GDDR5&memSize=1024&since=

I have been fiddling with the bios dump... Here is some information:

5a8f617b511f8_vbiossnap.jpg.125dab52c23689b4200fedd14f7feaf1.jpg

my other opinion is that I should choose a VBios from a card with the same memory type and same mosfet controler - the UP1608PK

if I go with the bios version, there is a Asus GTS 450 with the same VBios version, but that rom does not work. there is a lot of graphic corruption but it does boot. 

So if you have any information of any GTS 450 that uses the UP1608PK controller that maybe would be very helpfull...

In my opinion this might be a chinese brand like Yeston, Galaxy or Maxsun but I have no proof

I brought up to someone at ebay through twitter about all these fake GPU, on top of explaining what it is they are, I also linked this thread as I thought it was really well written an explains it well. I was told everything has been given to their risk team for review

I see this GPUs all the time and although I know they are obviously fake they are using high reputation accounts to sell fake products which intent to mislead and confuse the average consumer. Hopefully something is done about it.

Gaming - Ryzen 5800X3D | 64GB 3200mhz  MSI 6900 XT Mini-ITX SFF Build

Home Server (Unraid OS) - Ryzen 2700x | 48GB 3200mhz |  EVGA 1060 6GB | 6TB SSD Cache [3x2TB] 66TB HDD [11x6TB]

14 minutes ago, suchamoneypit said:

I brought up to someone at ebay through twitter about all these fake GPU, on top of explaining what it is they are, I also linked this thread as I thought it was really well written an explains it well. I was told everything has been given to their risk team for review

I see this GPUs all the time and although I know they are obviously fake they are using high reputation accounts to sell fake products which intent to mislead and confuse the average consumer. Hopefully something is done about it.

This is nothing new though. Google the Vamery GPU scam. China seems to have gotten smart and stopped using brand names lol

1 minute ago, iamdarkyoshi said:

This is nothing new though. Google the Vamery GPU scam. China seems to have gotten smart and stopped using brand names lol

Even if you can't beat them forever I they shut down one listing over it ill be satisfied.

Also, there are millions of items listed on ebay, so unless people take initiative to report things, nothing will change for sure. We know the GPUs are obviously fake, but 90% of the other people maybe not.

Gaming - Ryzen 5800X3D | 64GB 3200mhz  MSI 6900 XT Mini-ITX SFF Build

Home Server (Unraid OS) - Ryzen 2700x | 48GB 3200mhz |  EVGA 1060 6GB | 6TB SSD Cache [3x2TB] 66TB HDD [11x6TB]

Some may want this not to stop, after all you can get a refund AND keep/sell the card afterwards. Seems like a very profitable idea... 

Used to be everywhere in LTT forums, had a break which lasted apparently 1 year LOL. 

Gonna get up againnnn.

Wake me up if I sleep again like Oppy. 

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone found a working 1gb Bios for the Fake AMD 7670? I have one and am having no luck with finding a working one!

Thanks in advance!

• 1 month later...