Big-ass WiFi Antenna?

NoRomanBatmansAllowed
Go to solution Solved by Enderman,

Just buy a directional antenna.

Anybody know how I could make (or buy) some big-ass WiFi Antenna?

I'm moving sometime soon, but across from me is this YMCA. I manage to receive their free wifi on my driveway on my phone, but I can't transmit that far. 

Anybody have recommendations?

Want to know which mobo to get?

Spoiler

Choose whatever you need. Any more, you're wasting your money. Any less, and you don't get the features you need.

Only you know what you need to do with your computer, so nobody's really qualified to answer this question except for you.

chEcK iNsidE sPoilEr fOr a tREat!

Just buy a directional antenna.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

2 minutes ago, bob51zhang said:

I'm moving sometime soon, but across from me is this YMCA. I manage to receive their free wifi on my driveway on my phone, but I can't transmit that far. 

I'm not really sure where to find a big-ass Wi-Fi antenna. Try not to get caught stealing their Wi-Fi!

Just now, TheCherryKing said:

Try not to get caught stealing their Wi-Fi!

I mean, it's open WiFi, so I guess it's OK?

Want to know which mobo to get?

Spoiler

Choose whatever you need. Any more, you're wasting your money. Any less, and you don't get the features you need.

Only you know what you need to do with your computer, so nobody's really qualified to answer this question except for you.

chEcK iNsidE sPoilEr fOr a tREat!

I used a couple old satellite tv dishes and usb wifi dongles on the farm to get internet in the bungalow, which was about a km. search wokfi should find some diy solutios (of varying usefulness, can use a pringles can

Silent build - You know your pc is too loud when the deaf complain. Windows 98 gaming build, smells like beige

57 minutes ago, bob51zhang said:

Doesnt really work that way. You would technically need an antenna on both ends to make this work well. You could try a high gain antenna, they are more sensitive, but it might not work. Putting a better antenna on your device would only make that device transmit further, and the router across the street, still would be out of range most likely. While extenders are shit, you might need something that relay the WiFi signal to where you need it. 

53 minutes ago, bob51zhang said:

I mean, it's open WiFi, so I guess it's OK?

Depends on local laws. Here in Michigan if you get caught using Open WiFi without permission, its a felony. While this law is not generally enforced. There was an article a number of years ago about a guy outside a coffee shop getting caught and arrested for using the WIFi with out permission. While he got the charges dropped to a misdemeanor and did community service, it technically could have be a felony charge.  

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

11 hours ago, Donut417 said:

Depends on local laws. Here in Michigan if you get caught using Open WiFi without permission, its a felony. While this law is not generally enforced. There was an article a number of years ago about a guy outside a coffee shop getting caught and arrested for using the WIFi with out permission. While he got the charges dropped to a misdemeanor and did community service, it technically could have be a felony charge.  

Incredeble weird laws there in usa, you can even walk around with phone or whatever and not notice that it switch over onto someones free wifi .

But its good posible to get a stronger signal with directional antennas and you can make them yourself as big you want, using several arrays of quads onto a flat plate , i did make something like that for digital tv on the air, it worked much better than anything i could buy.

But..  its a lot of work and require some skills

On 12/23/2017 at 11:19 PM, bob51zhang said:

If its 2.4 GHz, you could use a Ubiquity Nanostation Loco M2, or Loco M5 if its 5GHz. These are directional units that can behave as access points or clients. When in client/station mode - it connects wirelessly and bridges that to the ethernet connection which you can then plug directly into your computer - or - into another router's WAN port. 

I am doing that right now with decent success, when without it I do not even see the network I'm connecting to:

i04BlqSl.jpg

D3SL91 | Ethan | Gaming+Work System | NAS System | Photo: Nikon D750 + D5200