End of NVIDIA Driver Support for 32-bit Operating Systems

matrix07012
30 minutes ago, Jito463 said:

I thought MacOS was based on BSD*?

*and yes, I know that's a fork of UNIX

I think people are confused here.

Unix is more or less a family of OSes. But an OS cannot claim to be Unix unless it passes the Single Unix Specification certification. Since Apple submitted macOS for certification and it passed, it's a Unix OS. It's not "Unix-like", it is Unix (or at least part of the Unix family).

1 hour ago, Bcat00 said:

Seriously what is up with people hating on windows 10.

Yes its gathering data constantly, but it's also giving the user a better experience than any of the older OS.

It give me a worse experience than Windows 7. Even on my Asus U38N. And I still don't know why people are content to let Microsoft collect their data, especially when what is collected isn't anonymous.
Edit: I'm just going to leave this here and not say any more-other than that Windows 10 strays very close to the definitions of spyware and adware.

https://autoriteitpersoonsgegevens.nl/en/news/dutch-dpa-microsoft-breaches-data-protection-law-windows-10

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

8 hours ago, Cookybiscuit said:

Umm, that's not going to happen, sweetie.

They will have to in 2020 at the very latest.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

5 hours ago, M.Yurizaki said:

That's ambiguous. macOS is Unix.

No, I mean vanilla Unix from the 80s. MacOS was originally based off of Unix, though it has more in common with Linux or BSD these days.

another thread that devolved into an anti windows 7 and anti windows 10 argument. what the hell is wrong with the people on this forum. can no one stay on topic?

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

13 hours ago, yian88 said:

finally one step closer to getting rid of 32 bit subsytems

ive been dreaming of pure 64 bit windows/drivers programs with no support for 32 bit since windows 7 came out never used 32 bit since, i do think we could gain stability, performance and safety by getting rid of everything 32 bit in near future, gladly linux is starting to move on hopefully windows will someday too

It would appear that you don't understand what a 64 bit system is.  There's no reason for most stuff to be 64 bit.  Changing won't somehow make it better or more stable.  When you'll have full functionality by making it 32 bit, and there's no gain from making it 64 bit, then why bother?

Make sure to quote or tag me (@JoostinOnline) or I won't see your response!

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

Now my major concern is which OSes will be dropped from support in the near future. How much longer will there be Windows 7 drivers? How much longer will there be Windows 8.1 drivers?

1 minute ago, TheCherryKing said:

Now my major concern is which OSes will be dropped from support in the near future. How much longer will there be Windows 7 drivers? How much longer will there be Windows 8.1 drivers?

There isn't a huge kernel difference between 7, 8, and 10.  Most drivers designed for one are compatible with the others.  Hell, they'll usually even work on Vista.

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

1 minute ago, JoostinOnline said:

There isn't a huge kernel difference between 7, 8, and 10.  Most drivers designed for one are compatible with the others.  Hell, they'll usually even work on Vista.

I expect there to be drivers for Windows 7 and 8.1 at least while they are still officially supported by Microsoft. Hopefully Nvidia won't drop support for Windows 8.1 like AMD already did.

Who would even be using 32 bit on modern hardware??? WHY??? I can understand wanting to keep 32 bit stuff around for nerds like me that like to play around with old hardware, but why in the hell is it necessary to support modern GPUs on 32 Windows? What, for that sick 1080ti SLI machine with a Pentium 4? Okay, on second though that would actually be fucking hilarious.

i7 2600k @ 5GHz 1.49v - EVGA GTX 1070 ACX 3.0 - 16GB DDR3 2000MHz Corsair Vengence

Asus p8z77-v lk - 480GB Samsung 870 EVO w/ W10 LTSC - 2x1TB HDD storage - 240GB SATA SSD w/ W7 - EVGA 650w 80+G G2

3x 1080p 60hz Viewsonic LCDs, 1 glorious Dell CRT running at anywhere from 60hz to 120hz

Model M w/ Soarer's adapter - Logitch g502 - Audio-Techinca M20X - Cambridge SoundWorks speakers w/ woofer

38 minutes ago, 2Buck said:

Who would even be using 32 bit on modern hardware??? WHY??? I can understand wanting to keep 32 bit stuff around for nerds like me that like to play around with old hardware, but why in the hell is it necessary to support modern GPUs on 32 Windows? What, for that sick 1080ti SLI machine with a Pentium 4? Okay, on second though that would actually be fucking hilarious.

Were there even Pentium 4 machines with PCI express slots?

25 minutes ago, TheCherryKing said:

Yes.  Pentium 4 CPU's were being made until 2008-ish, but PCIe came out in 2004.

1 hour ago, 2Buck said:

Some modern ARM and Atom CPU's are still x86, and can't run a 64 bit OS.

1 hour ago, TheCherryKing said:

Yup, on LGA775. xD

I have one and a pretty sick 775 motherboard capable of SLI. Might have to build me an abomination!

i7 2600k @ 5GHz 1.49v - EVGA GTX 1070 ACX 3.0 - 16GB DDR3 2000MHz Corsair Vengence

Asus p8z77-v lk - 480GB Samsung 870 EVO w/ W10 LTSC - 2x1TB HDD storage - 240GB SATA SSD w/ W7 - EVGA 650w 80+G G2

3x 1080p 60hz Viewsonic LCDs, 1 glorious Dell CRT running at anywhere from 60hz to 120hz

Model M w/ Soarer's adapter - Logitch g502 - Audio-Techinca M20X - Cambridge SoundWorks speakers w/ woofer

45 minutes ago, JoostinOnline said:

Some modern ARM and Atom CPU's are still x86, and can't run a 64 bit OS.

Ah.. Well, I still don't view it as a huge loss. It's not like the existing drivers for those machines are just gonna vanish now.

8 hours ago, Bcat00 said:

Yes its gathering data constantly, but it's also giving the user a better experience than any of the older OS.

I wouldn't feel comfortable using WIndows 10 in a corporate environment.

3 minutes ago, 2Buck said:

Ah.. Well, I still don't view it as a huge loss. It's not like the existing drivers for those machines are just gonna vanish now.

Yeah, and if you've got one of those CPU's you probably aren't rocking a Titan V. xD

Great, so I have to either throw away a perfectly working PC or stick with older drivers (not that Nvidia's drivers have been any good lately anyway).

6 hours ago, Bit_Guardian said:

No, I mean vanilla Unix from the 80s. MacOS was originally based off of Unix, though it has more in common with Linux or BSD these days.

The Unix family conforms to a specification. In that respect macOS is Unix.

32 minutes ago, Captain Chaos said:

snip

You have a 32 Bit PC? That's actually sad :D,

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

14 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

You have a 32 Bit PC? That's actually sad :D,

Yeah, an old one that I use mostly for downloading etc.  :ph34r:

My main system is 64bit though

15 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

The Unix family conforms to a specification. In that respect macOS is Unix.

This might help a little. If you want to elaborate further more power to you, as it's 0338 here lol.image.thumb.png.5e9ed19634bcea58d6697140609856be.png

22 minutes ago, Dylanc1500 said:

This might help a little. If you want to elaborate further more power to you, as it's 0338 here lol.image.thumb.png.5e9ed19634bcea58d6697140609856be.png

I don't see how that unsightly abomination of a chart could help anyone.  I got a headache just looking at it! xD

21 hours ago, emosun said:

32 bit has nothing to do with stability , performance , or safety.

You are talking about something else entirely, it actually does have something to do with.

Its the fact that there are always 2 version to maintain, which can be error prone and have a cost to maintain instead those resources could be allocated to other parts instead of making sure 2 versions are tested, QA'd and provide support for.

Same thing goes for windows, especially windows, go into System32 and SystemWOW64 and see duplication of the same .dll's each which requires testing, QA, debugging and so on.

32/64 bit is not as easy as turning a switch on/off at compilation time. And it does have perforamnce benefits, if a 32 bit program stores a variable of 64 bit storage type(int64, float64) the program has to generate and execute more instruction for that variable on a 32 bit program versus native 64 bit.

I wish people would read more https://stackoverflow.com/questions/28977587/is-it-ok-to-use-64bit-integers-in-a-32bit-application

Remember the launch of chrome 64 bit years back? what where the main benefits announced ?   https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2014/08/chrome-64-bit-browser-finally-available-as-a-stable-version/

Please do a google search "Benefits of 64 bit processors" 

14 minutes ago, yian88 said:

You are talking about something else entirely, it actually does have something to do with.

Its the fact that there are always 2 version to maintain, which can be error prone and have a cost to maintain instead those resources could be allocated to other parts instead of making sure 2 versions are tested, QA'd and provide support for.

Same thing goes for windows, especially windows, go into System32 and SystemWOW64 and see duplication of the same .dll's each which requires testing, QA, debugging and so on.

32/64 bit is not as easy as turning a switch on/off at compilation time. And it does have perforamnce benefits, if a 32 bit program stores a variable of 64 bit storage type(int64, float64) the program has to generate and execute more instruction for that variable on a 32 bit program versus native 64 bit.

I wish people would read more https://stackoverflow.com/questions/28977587/is-it-ok-to-use-64bit-integers-in-a-32bit-application

Remember the launch of chrome 64 bit years back? what where the main benefits announced ?   https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2014/08/chrome-64-bit-browser-finally-available-as-a-stable-version/

Please do a google search "Benefits of 64 bit processors" 

good job typing that novel , all of which i know more than you about.

my statement isn't wrong . something simply being 32bit has nothing to do with stability , performance , or safety

15 hours ago, Bcat00 said: