Data hoarder needs help

Hi All, short time lurker first time poster. 

Curious to hear some ideas from the internet about this. 

For a long time I have been riding a motorcycle and I usually always have a helmet camera running to record the ride (In case of an accident or I see something worth uploading to youtube).

Now bearing in mind this is a 1080p camera (contour roam 2) I am filling up my hard drive pretty quickly. What I have been doing is uploading the footage to a 1TB HDD through a dock (normal PC hard drive) 

I am looking for something that I can store in a single volume perhaps up to 10 TB with a little redundancy I am sure some of the video have been duplicated but I have filled up at least 4 hard drives so far. 

Any thoughts on this from everyone? 

I have an old perspex PC case that I was thinking of turning into a "media server" its currently got a pentium 4 with a whopping 512mb ram and a 100gb hard drive (pata)

Thoughts?

3 minutes ago, Count_Nibbles said:

I am looking for something that I can store in a single volume perhaps up to 10 TB with a little redundancy I am sure some of the video have been duplicated but I have filled up at least 4 hard drives so far.

For close to 10TB-capacity with one-drive-redundancy, you'd need e.g. a 3-bay NAS filled with 4TB-drives, which would net you 8TB useable space in RAID5, or RAID1 with 4x4TB-drives would net you the same capacity, but could handle two drives failing. As for what hardware to use, I do not know, but I hear Synology's NAS-systems are supposed to be good.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

watch the Petabyte project vrom LTT on youtube and build one. Set for life.

If you build something over 10TB... dont forget to post it in the LTT Storage Rankings thread.

Can Anybody Link A Virtual Machine while I go download some RAM?

On 12/22/2017 at 2:34 PM, unijab said:

If you build something over 10TB... dont forget to post it in the LTT Storage Rankings thread.

Nevermind. I found it

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | CPU Cooler: Stock AMD Cooler | Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING (WI-FI) | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 CL16 | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB Zotac Mini | Case: K280 Case | PSU: Cooler Master B600 Power supply | SSD: 1TB  | HDDs: 1x 250GB & 1x 1TB WD Blue | Monitors: 24" Acer S240HLBID + 24" Samsung  | OS: Win 10 Pro

Audio: Behringer Q802USB Xenyx 8 Input Mixer |  U-PHORIA UMC204HD | Behringer XM8500 Dynamic Cardioid Vocal Microphone | Sound Blaster Audigy Fx PCI-E card.

Home Lab:  Lenovo ThinkCenter M82 ESXi 6.7 | Lenovo M93 Tiny Exchange 2019 | TP-LINK TL-SG1024D 24-Port Gigabit | Cisco ASA 5506 firewall  | Cisco Catalyst 3750 Gigabit Switch | Cisco 2960C-LL | HP MicroServer G8 NAS | Custom built SCCM Server.

There are realy cheap proliant microserver g7 on ebay, they are not the fastest, but have 4 bays.

The bigger version would be something like a DL180 G6, but they are loud.

I would recommend something like this is you are going to be running RAID5:

https://www.mwave.com.au/product/synology-ds918-4-bay-nas-4x-seagate-st4000vn008-4tb-ironwolf-nas-hdd-ac08440

Or this if you don't mind spending the extra ~$450 for RAID10 redundancy and the same storage spec:

https://www.mwave.com.au/product/synology-ds918-4-bay-nas-4x-seagate-st6000vn0041-6tb-ironwolf-nas-hdd-ac08443

We use Synology NAS units at work (have a RS2416RP+ in our server room at out office with an identical unit in a DC for offisite, both loaded with 3TB Seagate IronWolf Pro disks) and have never had an issue with it since they were both deployed.

Just curios, why save the material where nothing happens? I can understand that you save for a limited time, and then delete if there is no need for it after a few weeks. Memorable jurneys/moments goes to a cold storage with a good labeling system for folders. Maybe even edited so you just save the as little as possible and makes it easy to remember why you saved it in the first place xD

But it it's just an excuse to build a ginormous storage-server to rule the LTT storage ranking, then by all means, go ahead and I will eagerly await the pictures and spec-pr0n B|

As a technician, I have setup clients that process large volumes of photo or video data.  Sign shops, photo or video studios, etc.

ALL of them have some kind of pruning process during the intake.  It doesn't matter how much storage space you have, if you don't prune as you take it in, you will never watch it all or look through it all to find something useful later.

In the home environment, I like to refer to this effect as the "camera phone mom syndrome"  15,000 images, 10,000 are blurry.  Out of the 5,000 remaining, 1,000 are "oops" photos from the pocket or at the ceiling.  Out of the 4,000 left you get down to groups of 5-10 pictures of the same moment where none of them were pruned for the "best" one.  This is most commonly found among Mac users surprisingly, not bashing Mac users at all, just the truth.  Maybe more Mac folks are into "casual photography" more than others.

It is a discipline to review the data or even think before importing "is this worth storing?", but it will pay off ten-fold when you need to actually go into the archive.  There is no such thing as a storage space amount that won't fill up, there is no infinity storage.

Some successful pruning techniques:

• After the moment is fresh, review the data.  Not days or weeks later.
  • Delete older than XX days
  • Set a hard limit for how many images to keep (or clips of video)
  • Yes, clip your video.  2 hours of video for 2 seconds of important stuff is wasteful.
  • Share and review with friends or family, this will force pruning more often (holidays, events, etc)