CPU Problem? Power Supply Problem? Need answers fast.

Jack02

Hello LTT community!

I've had problems with my PC for the past year or so, and I've tried changing a few things and I have no clue what the problem is. Christmas is here, and my mom can get me new parts but idk what to get because I'm not sure what's wrong. So, let me get into the problems. About a year ago I had my side panel open, and my little sister was on my PC. I came home and it would not turn on. She claims that she touched the CPU fan and it shut off. I could not turn the PC on like I said before, if I shorted it, it would only turn on for a few seconds. I bought a new power supply and had a similar problem, but I eventually was able to get it on by buying a new case and using the front panel connectors. Yet, it would only turn on if I unplugged my GPU and one of my HDDs was unplugged. Then, the PC would not turn on via power button anymore. So I now have to turn it on by wiggling the cord in the back of the power supply, or flicking the switch in between really fast. I thought this was a motherboard problem, I bought a new one and nothing changed so I returned it. I'm now left with the same issues, and now I'm getting graphics issues via my iGPU when going fullscreen in a game (i7 4790k). I have no idea what the issue is, and my guess is that it is the CPU. I need to figure this out by today or tomorrow, so I can have the parts by Christmas day. 

I think before you spend on anything, you should see if anything is shorting a circuit - first off, build your computer outside the case over a non-conductive surface like cardboard (your motherboard box is perfect size and doesn't conduct electricity).

Turn on your computer by jumping the power pins (or push the power button on an expensive motherboard), and do a test of the things you usually do with it. It's also worth to revert your overclock in case that's being a problem.

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

17 minutes ago, Energycore said:

I think before you spend on anything, you should see if anything is shorting a circuit - first off, build your computer outside the case over a non-conductive surface like cardboard (your motherboard box is perfect size and doesn't conduct electricity).

Turn on your computer by jumping the power pins (or push the power button on an expensive motherboard), and do a test of the things you usually do with it. It's also worth to revert your overclock in case that's being a problem.

I've tried these, and the CPU is back at stock. Thanks though.

Never throw parts at a computer in order to diagnose things. 

Start with the bare minimum to start the computer, meaning CPU+Mem+Mainboard and short the powerswitch with a screwdriver (or push the powerbutton if it has one). Gradually start adding parts and see which item is faulty. Replace that.

Just now, Majestic said:

Never throw parts at a computer in order to diagnose things. 

Start with the bare minimum to start the computer, meaning CPU+Mem+Mainboard and short the powerswitch with a screwdriver (or push the powerbutton if it has one). Gradually start adding parts and see which item is faulty. Replace that.

Yes, I've tried this lol.

2 minutes ago, Savant82 said:

I've tried these, and the CPU is back at stock. Thanks though.

Damn. I'm at a loss then. Cuz usually those things come from the PSU or mobo but you've replaced both.

One thing you can do is buy / borrow a cheap af LGA 1150 Celeron (some go for less than $40 used), see if the computer works OK on that to determine whether or not your CPU is indeed the problem.

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

2 minutes ago, Savant82 said:

Yes, I've tried this lol.

I did not extract that from the OP. Perhaps you should be more clear and not write so much fluff into the text.

And you didn't do this, because you threw parts at it.

I guess you can run the Intel diagnostics tool.

3 minutes ago, Energycore said:

Damn. I'm at a loss then. Cuz usually those things come from the PSU or mobo but you've replaced both.

One thing you can do is buy / borrow a cheap af LGA 1150 Celeron (some go for less than $40 used), see if the computer works OK on that to determine whether or not your CPU is indeed the problem.

I think I'm just gonna bite the bullet and get an i5 8600k, that will fix the problems.

Just now, Majestic said:

I did not extract that from the OP. Perhaps you should be more clear and not write so much fluff into the text.

I did prior to throwing parts at it.

6 minutes ago, Savant82 said:

I think I'm just gonna bite the bullet and get an i5 8600k, that will fix the problems.

I hope it does. Cheers!

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

1 hour ago, Majestic said:

Well everything passed...

Any other ideas on what the problem is?

1 hour ago, Energycore said:

I hope it does. Cheers!

Thanks.

Everything passed on the Intel CPU Diagnostic test! So what else could be the problem?

Are you sure the only thing she touched was the CPU fan? Everything points to it being a shorting issue on the motherboard.

Computer engineering grad student, cybersecurity researcher, and hobbyist embedded systems developer

Daily Driver:

CPU: Ryzen 7 4800H | GPU: RTX 2060 | RAM: 16GB DDR4 3200MHz C16

Gaming PC:

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600X | GPU: EVGA RTX 2080Ti | RAM: 32GB DDR4 3200MHz C16

1 minute ago, thegreengamers said:

Are you sure the only thing she touched was the CPU fan? Everything points to it being a shorting issue on the motherboard.

I've tried a new motherboard though, but that's what I thought it was too.

Buy A power supply tester. 

Do not use a PSU you think could be bad/failing.

1 minute ago, descendency said:

Buy A power supply tester. 

Do not use a PSU you think could be bad/failing.

I do not know if it is the problem for sure,

but that is my last option.

Just now, Savant82 said:

I do not know if it is the problem for sure,

but that is my last option.

PSU testers are cheap. I'd recommend having one if you build your own stuff. If your computer starts acting weird, I'd test the PSU. Power Supplies can often make other components act weird and cause them to fail too. 

That said, I've had 1 power supply die in ~15 years of PC building. (baring the one that died from a lightning strike - can't blame the manufacturer for not making it lightning proof)

4 minutes ago, descendency said:

PSU testers are cheap. I'd recommend having one if you build your own stuff. If your computer starts acting weird, I'd test the PSU. Power Supplies can often make other components act weird and cause them to fail too. 

That said, I've had 1 power supply die in ~15 years of PC building. (baring the one that died from a lightning strike - can't blame the manufacturer for not making it lightning proof)

Well this is the second PSU thats had this problem, but I bought this AX 750 RMA, maybe it's faulty too.

What could the problem be?

Just now, Savant82 said:

Well this is the second PSU thats had this problem, but I bought this AX 750 RMA, maybe it's faulty too.

What could the problem be?

Rereading your initial post, it could be anything from a bad circuit that the PC is plugged into to a failing motherboard. I'd recommend testing as much as possible in isolation, calling that part good, and attaching more to it. Look for bulging capacitors on the motherboard. That almost always means electrical issues. 

Id seriously test it in another wall outlet. I'd even test the surge protector (you use one... right? ;) ) or whatever you have it plugged into. Inconsistent power delivery might not be the reason it is having issues turning on... but it might have caused the part to die. 

7 minutes ago, descendency said:

Rereading your initial post, it could be anything from a bad circuit that the PC is plugged into to a failing motherboard. I'd recommend testing as much as possible in isolation, calling that part good, and attaching more to it. Look for bulging capacitors on the motherboard. That almost always means electrical issues. 

Id seriously test it in another wall outlet. I'd even test the surge protector (you use one... right? ;) ) or whatever you have it plugged into. Inconsistent power delivery might not be the reason it is having issues turning on... but it might have caused the part to die. 

I've tried that stuff over many months :P