SteamOS will be available to download on December 13th

Gunzkewl

On December 13th, Valve will ship a prototype Steam Machine to 300 lucky fans, including a powerful upgradable chassis, a Steam Controller, and the Linux-based SteamOS, the company announced today. The rest of us get a consolation prize, however: Valve will also make SteamOS available for everyone when the prototypes ship.

While the company suggests that the new operating system won't necessarily be easy to install — "unless you're an intrepid Linux hacker already, we're going to recommend that you wait until later in 2014 to try it out," says Valve — it means that we should get a deeper look at how it works and how it performs ahead of the company's CES announcements.

Source:http://www.theverge.com/2013/12/11/5201030/steamos-will-be-available-to-download-on-december-13th

Too bad I'm a noob in Linux :(

I don't really care seeing as I'm not an intrepid linux hacker.

| 5820k+EK supremacy nickel+acetal white 4.5Ghz | X99 Deluxe | Enthoo Luxe | 2x gtx780+komod NV full cover block | Corsair AX1200i | WD blue 500gb |

Kingston V300 120gb | Samsung 840 Evo 500gb| Bitspower D5 vario+Res combo | primochill advanced LRT tubing (Solid White) |

| Alphacool Nexxos MONSTA dual 120mm Black Ice nemesis GTX360 triple 120mm | Noctua NF-F12 X4 | Bitspower true silver 1/2ID 3/4 OD compressions (various angles) |

I don't really care seeing as I'm not an intrepid linux hacker.

there are variants of windows that are for more simplistic users

will streaming work on day one? Probably not seeing as the closed beta hasn't even started yet or has it? Someone correct me if I'm wrong

Finally my Santa hat doesn't look out of place

Awesome, starting from tomorrow youtubers can start removing that annoying $100 OS cost from build guides, looking at you Linus !

Awesome, starting from tomorrow youtubers can start removing that annoying $100 OS cost from build guides, looking at you Linus !

Only for some games.. Not all games run on Linux.

GamingPC: Intel 4770k CPU, 2xMSI 780 GTX Twin Frozr, 16 GB Corsair Vengeance Pro, Swiftech H220 CPU Cooler.

Cookie Cutter Build log

Only for some games.. Not all games run on Linux.

you can run most stuff with wwine.

This will be interesting... Just to see finally exactly what it will be.

you can run most stuff with wwine.

True you can run most things however will steam make it easily accessible in their steam os? Yes intermediate users could probably install it themselves however non experienced users might have a problem.

Star Citizen LTT Conglomerate Wants you! Join now!

UOLTT Basop | Misc Freelancer & Origin M50

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.

-Groucho Marx

HOLY SHIT I CANT WAIT :)

------------------------------------------------------I HAZ SHINY----------------------------------------------------------

I think it's still undercooked hence they want people to wait till 2014 to try it. But they also know they can't prevent it from leaking once they ship the prototypes..

Oh I've been waiting for this one. Who wants to join me in excavating the first release of SteamOS? I want to find out what libraries it uses, if we can find out what kernel patches have been applied, and ofc how they intend to implement modules (i.e "drivers"). I'm thinking proprietary DRI modules will come bundled, so if you want to use Nouveau instead you'll probably have to compile it yourself. BUT I'm betting dev headers, gcc and lots of other dev goodies will be included in this first version (I mean why wouldn't they?)

As for installing it I've delt with Gentoo, LFS and Arch LinuX. Couple that with the fact that they will provide at least some documentation and it shouldn't be to much of a problem. Time to uninstall some games and shrink a partition. Perhaps I should run it on the storage HDD rather than the SSD, but... no - with the new caching system in the kernel I gots to go SSD (oh dear god please let it be upstream... or as close as possible you can get to upstream).

Thoroughness rating
#########

Too bad I'm a noob in Linux :(

Do what I do and wait for a concise tutorial to be posted to YouTube.

Desert Storm PC | Corsair 600T | ASUS Sabertooth 990FX AM3+ | AMD FX-8350 | MSI 7950 TFIII | 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600 | Seasonic X650W I Samsung 840 series 500GB SSD

Mobile Devices I ASUS Zenbook UX31E I Nexus 7 (2013) I Nexus 5 32GB (red)

Do what I do and wait for a concise tutorial to be posted to YouTube.

Linus should do a guide!! 

Will I be able to install chrome and vlc media player on it

?

FX8320 4.2Ghz@1.280v& 4.5 Ghz Turbo@1.312v Thermalright HR-02/w TY-147 140MM+Arctic Cooling 120MMVRM cooled by AMD Stock Cooler Fan 70MM 0-7200 RPM PWM controlled via SpeedfanGigabyte GA990XA-UD3Gigabyte HD 7970 SOC@R9 280X120GiBee Kingston HyperX 3K2TB Toshiba DT01ACA2001TB WD GreenZalman Z11+Enermax 140MM TB Apollish RED+2X Deepcool 120MM and stock fans running @5VSingle Channel Patriot 8GB (1333MHZ)+Dual Channel 4GB&2GB Kingston NANO Gaming(1600MHZ CL9)=14GB 1,600 Jigahurtz 10-10-9-29 CR1@1.28VSirtec High Power 500WASUS Xonar DG, Logitech F510Sony MDR-XD200Edifier X220 + Edifier 3200A4Tech XL-747H 3600dpiA4Tech X7-200MPdecent membrane keyboardPhilips 236V3LSB 23" 1080p@71Hz .

Sorry for my English....

Will I be able to install chrome and vlc media player on it

?

Yes to both, although Linux uses Chromium which is what chrome is based on.

E: Chrome is also available, but it's fairly recent AFAIK.

Interested in Linux, SteamOS and Open-source applications? Go here

Gaming Rig - CPU: i5 3570k @ Stock | GPU: EVGA Geforce 560Ti 448 Core Classified Ultra | RAM: Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 8GB DDR3 1600 | SSD: Crucial M4 128GB | HDD: 3TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB WD Caviar Black, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Case: Antec Lanboy Air | KB: Corsair Vengeance K70 Cherry MX Blue | Mouse: Corsair Vengeance M95 | Headset: Steelseries Siberia V2

The nice thing about this initiative is that even if we don't like steamOS, the games will still work on other Linux distros. So with more AAA games being ported the entire Linux desktop ecosystem starts looking more appealing, regardless of whether steamOS becomes our distro of choice.

will i be able to run this in a virtual machine just to try it out you think?

AMD 8350 // 8 GB Corsair Ram // PNY 780 Ti // Asus 1080p Monitor // Antec 120mm AIO // CM Quickfire TK w/ Custom Caps  // RAT 5 mouse // Audio Technica m50x // Behringer 4-line + Line6 8-line Audio Interfaces

i  cant wait personaly for SteamOS i will download and install to the pc i have waiting for it. just need valve to realse  the download tomorow

Aselwyn1

omg, my linux box is ready. xD

Work Station:: Cooler Master Storm Trooper // i7-3930K @ 3.9 GHz // Asus Sabertooth X79 // Corsair Vengeance 16GB (4X4GB) 1600 MHz // Cooler Master 1200W Gold // Xonar Essence STX // Radeon HD 6970 // Avermedia HD Live Gamer Pro

Gaming Rig:: Cooler Master Scout // i7-2700k @ 4.0GHz // MSI Z68 // G-Skill Ripjaw 16GB (4X4EB) 1066MHz // Antec 750W Bronze // Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi HD // EVGA GTX 670

Because we all pay for windows anyway

AMD FX-8350 II ASUS R9-20x DCU2 TOP II Fractal Design R4 II Samsung 840 Evo 250gb SSD II Gigabyte 990FXA UD-3 II 8GB Corsair XMS II Cooler Master Seidon 120mm II ACER H236HL Monitor II Corsair K70 II Razer Deathadder II Kinect II 

Go check out my Build Log for my "Home Made Gaming POD"

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/83872-home-made-gaming-pod-build-log/