When will net neutrailty repeal take affect

4 hours ago, divito said:

Right, so because these others industries screw over consumers, let's let the ISPs in on that too.

Everybody is crying that repealing the classification of ISPs as common carriers will create tiered service levels. When in fact common carriers have tiered services so I don't understand this connection.

On 15/12/2017 at 7:01 AM, knightslugger said:

not if, WHEN they start to throttle speeds, they don't have to tell you why. ...and because net neutrality which gave unprecedented transparency to consumers is now gone

1. They won't throttle speeds because they would instantly loose all their customers.

2. Actually, this change forces ISPs to be more transparent. 

5 hours ago, Michael McAllister said:

The fight for Net Neutrality is not over.  Please call your Congressmen and Senators, and ask them to propose a Resolution of Disapproval under the Congressional Review Act (CRA) to overturn yesterday's FCC decision.  The number for the US Capitol Switchboard in Washington, D.C. is (202) 224-3121.  Thanks!

Your going to waste your time to get a republican congress to review the work of a republican FCC. Yeah..... Wait till the Mid term elections next year, then you can call your congressman in 2019 when all the new ones take office. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

45 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

Your going to waste your time to get a republican congress to review the work of a republican FCC. Yeah..... Wait till the Mid term elections next year, then you can call your congressman in 2019 when all the new ones take office. 

If we do nothing at all, if we do not at least make an attempt, if we do not at least take every avenue possible—we will not be able to complain later.  If we have the ability to reverse this decision, it would be absurd not to take that course of action.

My PC specifications are in my profile.

1 minute ago, Michael McAllister said:

If we do nothing at all, if we do not at least make an attempt, if we do not at least take every avenue possible—we will not be able to complain later.  If we have the ability to reverse this decision, it would be absurd not to take that course of action.

Your only hope is enough Congressman who supported the repeal are found guilty of Sexual Assault and have to resign. And that their replacement will support putting Net Neutrality back. The fact is the Republicans dont give a fuck about the 99%, they only care about the 1%. The democrats have absolutely no clue what the hell they are doing. Which is why we are all screwed. Also, I dont even have a congressman right now. The congressman for my district got accused of Sexual Assault and has resigned. Im fairly sure he was one to keep net neutrality. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

10 hours ago, ultimatemythbuster said:

Just one more reason why everybody should read through all of the fine print before agreeing to stuff.  I wonder how many people have used iTunes to create Nuclear, Chemical, or Biological weapons without realizing they were violating the EULA?

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

17 hours ago, ultimatemythbuster said:

I've never had an ISP require a contract on a residential connection; only business and enterprise connections.  Which ISPs have contracts for residential?

Both Verizon and Comcast when you get a plan from them is a two-year contract. Once those 2 years are up you can renew the contract or go for a different ISP.

On 14/12/2017 at 8:47 PM, Gamingfreek said:

Now that Net Neutrality is gone, what now?

Should we look into getting a VPN to circumvent the things to come?  Would it even help at all?

A vpn won't help because while ISPs don't know what you're doing, they know you're using a vpn and they can throttle or block your traffic for it.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

On 12/16/2017 at 10:20 AM, beavo451 said:

Everybody is crying that repealing the classification of ISPs as common carriers will create tiered service levels. When in fact common carriers have tiered services so I don't understand this connection.

Most fear the tiers will be in the form of selected traffic or target websites, as opposed to the current tiering which is supposed to be basically data caps and total bandwidth limitations.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

On 12/15/2017 at 11:27 PM, lobster_zoidberg said:

1. They won't throttle speeds because they would instantly loose all their customers.

2. Actually, this change forces ISPs to be more transparent. 

loose their customers to who? most americans only have one ISP to choose from. The land of capitalism looks more like the USSR.

On 12/15/2017 at 7:14 AM, asus killer said:

see it as a public road, you pay taxes for the access but once you're there you go where you want. No imagine some roads you could go faster, others slower, others you just couldn't go at all. Some roads have better accesses, others were full of potholes. 

You mean like toll roads? Where you pay to go faster on a better road?

Intel i7-7700k @ 5.1ghz | Asus ROG Maximus Hero IX | Asus ROG Poseidon Platinum 1080ti @ 2126mhz | 64gb Trident-Z DDR4 @ 3600mhz | Samsung 960 Pro 1tb @ 3500mbps/2500mbps | Crucial 240gb SSD | Toshiba 4tb 7200rpm HDD w/ Crucial 128gb SSD cache | Corsair Hx1000i PSU | EK 360mm Coolstream XE Radiator | EK-Supremacy Evo Waterblock | EK-DDC 3.2 PWM Elite Edition Pump | EK-RES X3 150 RGB Reservoir | Primochill AdvancedLRT Clear Tubing | Primochill VUE UV Blue Coolant | Corsair 570x Crystal RGB Case | 4x 30cm CableMod UV/RGB Widebeam Hybrid Led Strip | 3x 120mm Corsair SP120 RGB Fans | 3x Noctua NF-A14 iPPC 3000rpm Fans | 3x Noctua NF-A12x15 Fan | CableMod ModFlex PSU & SATA Cables | Asus ROG Swift 27" 4k IPS w/G-Sync & LG UD68 27" 4k IPS w/Freesync |

It's just typical business trying to make an extra buck.  They'll get content providers paying to send and you paying to receive the same data LOL. 

Now if anything good comes out of this is that some ISP could start up offering free internet that is funded by content providers like Netflix or Google that want to push their data.  This won't be easy because even though their are multiple ISP's in the USA they're all actually owned by a few big corporations.  

4 hours ago, PETRGangKing said:

You mean like toll roads? Where you pay to go faster on a better road?

i abandoned that bad analogy, but i guess not.

I would not be mad if there was fast toll internet, if i could get my hands on some "free" public internet at home (paid by taxes, but that i already pay and i have no internet at home unless i pay the ISP) a bit slower and i could still go everywhere on the net. 

21 minutes ago, asus killer said:

if i could get my hands on some "free" public internet at home (paid by taxes

That's a scary thought... I would trust the Chinese government over the US government to manage our internet.   I'm not really happy that ISPs are allowed to pick and choose what data gets to me and how fast because of the implications.  Right now you can get almost anything on the internet but say if I'm the owner of Spectrum (A major ISP in the USA) doesn't like Hillary, Trump, Communism, Capitalism, Ford, Chevy, or whatever they could restrict that content from my customers.  Think of it as a version of the big Chinese firewall controlled by billionaires in the USA. 

2 hours ago, russell_314 said:

That's a scary thought... I would trust the Chinese government over the US government to manage our internet.   I'm not really happy that ISPs are allowed to pick and choose what data gets to me and how fast because of the implications.  Right now you can get almost anything on the internet but say if I'm the owner of Spectrum (A major ISP in the USA) doesn't like Hillary, Trump, Communism, Capitalism, Ford, Chevy, or whatever they could restrict that content from my customers.  Think of it as a version of the big Chinese firewall controlled by billionaires in the USA. 

this is an analogy, what kind of places can't you go on public roads?

But even if... it would be FREE so i guess... free. Get my point.

anyway this was a bad analogy and you guys just don't let it die xD

On 12/14/2017 at 5:28 PM, LAwLz said:

@SilverMight I saw your post in the other thread but didn't have time to respond before it was locked.

You do know that ISPs has brought the FTC to court for trying to regulate them, and the ISPs won, right?

The FTC has next to no (if any) power to regulate ISPs anymore.

Common carriers are regulated by the FCC. The court has ruled that the FTC are not allowed to regulate common carriers.

Phone services however, are classified as common carriers. What this means is that AT&T and other ISPs that operate phone networks can no longer be regulated by anyone.

If the FTC tries to regulate AT&T they can claim to be a common carrier (even though the ISP part of their business is not) and therefore FTC have no authority over them.

But at the same time, the FTC are not allowed to regulate the ISP part (but they can regulate the phone part) because broadband was reclassified to no longer be covered under title II.

Does it sound like a massive loophole and clusterfuck? It sure is, but it's something both Pai and ISPs were aware of when they constantly told people the FTC could regulate them if NN was repealed.

So, how long before ISPs start fucking their customers over now that they have no regulations or oversights regarding throttling and discrimination of traffic? I'll give it a few months. It would be too obvious if they started straight away.

@LAwLz I'm not saying net neutrality was a bad thing, don't get me wrong. I was saying it was llegal to do paid priortization, but that they could block + throttle without Net Neutrality.

Forgive me if I was wrong about that though, but I do remember reading something regarding that. I'm definitely not trying to say the repeal of net neutrality is good, sorry for the miscommunication on my part.

Just to add some perspective to the "the sky is falling" crowd Net neutrality was only in effect from 2015-2017.  That's two years.  Before 2015 I was able to access whatever I wanted.  I'm still able to do so.  I'm not saying this is a good thing but lets not get into panic mode yet LOL