Bitcoin Mining - URGENT HELP NEEDED

So yeah, we all do it. I was looking for a way to mine bitcoin with my old Rx 480. I made a wallet with Blockchain and I wanted to start mining.

I decided to head over to Bitminer.io.

After finding out it there was no way to stop the mining, I started panicking.

My GPU temperature is at 62 degrees only running chrome, closing the chrome tab is also not working.

I'm probably never going to get into bitcoin mining again, this is terrifying.

Can anyone help?

Pat.

Sounds like you hit one of those sites that mines bitcoin using your hardware.

Try closing Chrome from the Task Manager(make sure you kill the process, not just the application). If that doesn't work, try rolling back to a previous Restore Point in Safe Mode. And if that somehow doesn't work, do a clean install of Windows.

Using an actual application to mine such as NiceHash is usually recommended for this, I'm never heard of a site that actually gets you profit from mining.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

Just now, Crunchy Dragon said:

Try closing Chrome from the Task Manager(make sure you kill the process, not just the application). If that doesn't work, try rolling back to a previous Restore Point in Safe Mode. And if that somehow doesn't work, do a clean install of Windows.

Using an actual application to mine such as NiceHash is usually recommended for this, I'm never heard of a site that actually gets you profit from mining.

Thanks for the feedback, I'm just going to try "TURNING IT OFF AND ON AGAIN" first

10 minutes ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

I'm now at 43 degrees celsius. I'm pretty sure this is fine for the Rx 480 with a reference cooler.

Just now, Patalayus said:

I'm now at 43 degrees celsius. I'm pretty sure this is fine for the Rx 480 with a reference cooler.

Good to hear! Try mining with NiceHash instead next time :)

Just because you had a problem on your first go doesn't mean you should give up entirely, you'll never get anything done in life if that's your attitude with everything. :)

Also prior to mining, it might be a good idea to replace the thermal compound and thermal pads on the card. Just something to think about, you'll be kicking out a lot of heat, especially with the reference cooler(although it is by no means incapable, most aftermarket coolers tend to be better).

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

4 minutes ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

Good to hear! Try mining with NiceHash instead next time :)

Just because you had a problem on your first go doesn't mean you should give up entirely, you'll never get anything done in life if that's your attitude with everything. :)

Also prior to mining, it might be a good idea to replace the thermal compound and thermal pads on the card. Just something to think about, you'll be kicking out a lot of heat, especially with the reference cooler(although it is by no means incapable, most aftermarket coolers tend to be better).

The problem is NiceHash got hacked and is no longer secure - perhaps they fixed it but from what I was told, it is dead

They will start up Nicehash again, that's what the developers have said :)

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. 
It matters that you don't just give up.”

-Stephen Hawking

There are alternatives to NiceHash, I'm using WinMiner for now.

But none of the alternatives are as good, WinMiner is high maintenance compared to NiceHash.

BTW, mining alt coins directly and using your own wallet is highly recommend.

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !

3 hours ago, TSL said:

The problem is NiceHash got hacked and is no longer secure - perhaps they fixed it but from what I was told, it is dead

Oh true, that hadn't fully occurred to me at the time. What other mining software is there that's good?

Nicehash is as dead as a Dodo. The site is still unavailable and the "hacking" lays under a dark cloud of suspicion.

Nicehash's Chief Technology Officer is Matjaž Škorjanc who has been convicted and jailed in the past for "creating a malicious computer program for hacking information systems, assisting in wrongdoings and money laundering." This was for his role in creating the Mariposa Botnet between 2008 and 2010.

If your login credentials for Nicehash are common to any other system, you should change them immediately. When Mariposa was shut down, investigators found a list of the personal details of 800,000 people so there is every chance your Nicehash user details have already been traded/leaked.

~~Kuroneko~~

- Ryzen Threadripper 1950X 16-Core

- Corsair H115i Pro 280 Liquid Cooler

- Asus X399 ROG Zenith Extreme MB

- 2x Nvidia Titan V

- Corsair 64GB (4x16GB) DDR4 3000MHz

- Samsung 960 Pro Series 1TB M.2 SSD

- Western Digital RED Pro 6TB 64M SATA

- Corsair AX1500i Titianium PSU

- Fractal Design Define R6 Blackout

- 3x Noctua NF-A14 Industrial 140mm 3000RPM Fans

~~Chibineko~~