Should I buy a cheap mech keyboard or spend more?

Okay, so I just got a gaming laptop (dell 7577) and I'm debating whether or not  to buy a reddragon mech keyboard $40CAD with fake blue switches, or wait until boxing day and buy a logitech, razer or corsair keyboard for around $100 CAD give or take. The main things I'm looking at are build quality, it has to have a metal backplate in it, has to have red leds to match my laptop (or rgb) and if i spend $100 it has to have cherry switches. I dont care too much about macros and i don't have a brand preference. I'm just curious if the more expensive boards are worth it, or if im just buying the name. The cheap gaming mouse I have (hiraily F300) was only $25 and its great, it's literally an RGB deathadder without the razer logo on it.  It makes me wonder if there is even a point to buying the mainstream stuff. If you guys have any recommendations for good value for money keyboards post them below. Thanks. 

RedDragon Keyboard (I'm also deciding whether to go tkl or full)

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B016MAK38U/_encoding=UTF8?coliid=I1ZISJF7TQS300&colid=1TJ2FPC4HZGSH&psc=1

I have basically the same one but from a different brand and the rainbow LED version and it's actually quite good, especially for the price.

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

whatever is better for your bank account. you dont NEED a $100 or even a $40 keyboard they work the same as a $10 keyboard. but i personally think having a backlit keyboard is a must have for tying in the dark,

its a luxury, its like a $10 shirt from walmart vs a $4000 gucci shirt, its still a shirt no matter what one you get but some people just have the money to be able to afford that expensive stuff 

if you are in  the USA ill sell you an AZIO RGB with knock off blue witches for $40 plus shipping 

I have used Cherry mx knock off and from my own experience the best knock off switch is the Gatheron on a keyboard called imperial something i forgot its was a years ago before i finally switched to Cm quickfire And the feeling is very similar to Cherry mx blues.

Just dont get the outemu or kaihl switches.

As for the red dragon they didnt seems stated the switch they are using so just rely on the user review.

If i were you i'll just grab it now.

You will be surprised on how well they actually feels.

34 minutes ago, asiancorruption said:

The cheap gaming mouse I have (hiraily F300) was only $25 and its great, it's literally an RGB deathadder without the razer logo on it.

Nope Razer deathadder use custom PWM3389 which is far more superior than the PWM3325 on your mouse.

And deathadder has better build quality just not the switch.

Gaming Mouse Buying Guide (Technical Terms,Optical vs Laser,Mice Recommendation,Popular Mouse Sensor,Etc)

[LOGITECH G402 REVIEW]

I love Dark Souls lore, Mice and Milk tea  ^_^ Praise The Sun! \[T]/

I can conquer the world with one hand,As long as you hold the other -Unknown

Its better to enjoy your own company than expecting someone to make you happy -Mr Bean

No one is going to be with you forever,One day u'll have to walk alone -Hiromi aoki (avery)

BUT the one who love us never really leave us,You can always find them here -Sirius Black

Don't pity the dead,Pity the living and above all those who live without love -Albus Dumbledore

2 minutes ago, Hiya! said:

I have used Cherry mx knock off and from my own experience they best switch is the Gatheron on a keyboard called imperial something i forgot its was a years ago before i finally switched to Cm quickfire And the feeling is very similar to Cherry mx blues.

Just dont get the outemu or kaihl switches.

As for the red dragon they didnt seems stated the switch they are using so just rely on the user review.

If i were you i'll just grab it now.

You will be surprised on how well they actually feels.

Nope Razer deathadder use custom PWM3389 which is far more superior than the PWM3325 on your mouse.

And deathadder has better build quality just not the switch.

the reddreagon has outemu switches, should i avoid it then?

Just now, asiancorruption said:

the reddreagon has outemu switches, should i avoid it then?

ahh not that switch.

Dont get me wrong Outemu feels great too but i am starting to have a lot of issues after 1 months using it.

Like the keys is losing its clickyness,double registered issues and they become mushy and stiff to press.

Gaming Mouse Buying Guide (Technical Terms,Optical vs Laser,Mice Recommendation,Popular Mouse Sensor,Etc)

[LOGITECH G402 REVIEW]

Its better to enjoy your own company than expecting someone to make you happy -Mr Bean

No one is going to be with you forever,One day u'll have to walk alone -Hiromi aoki (avery)

BUT the one who love us never really leave us,You can always find them here -Sirius Black

Don't pity the dead,Pity the living and above all those who live without love -Albus Dumbledore

1 minute ago, Hiya! said:

ahh not that switch.

Dont get me wrong Outemu feels great too but i am starting to have a lot of issues after 1 months using it.

Like the keys is losing its clickyness,double registered issues and they become mushy and stiff to press.

yeah screw that, i have bad luck with getting defective products, don't need to deal with that. would kailh switches be better?

CPU-AMD Ryzen 9 5900X / CPU Cooler-Noctua NH-D15S / Motherboard-MSI MPG X570S CARBON MAX WIFI / Memory-G.Skill Trident Z Neo 64 GB (4 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 / Storage-WD WDBSLA0040HNC-NRSN 4TB 3.5" 7200 RPM / Storage-WD Red 6 TB 3.5" 5400 RPM--Crucial P3 4TB 3.0X4 NVME--Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB 4.0X4 NVME--Corsair MP600 CORE 2TB 4.0X4 NVME / Video Card-XFX Radeon RX 6900 XT / Case-Lian Li O11 Air Mini / PSU-SeaSonic PRIME 1000 W 80+ Gold / Sound Card-Creative Labs Sound Blaster Z w/Shield / Monitor-BenQ GW2765HT 27.0" 2560 x 1440 60 Hz / Monitor-Asus ROG Strix XG27AQ 27.0" 2560 x 1440 170 Hz / Keyboard-Logitech G Pro / Mouse-Logitech G502 LIGHTSPEED Wireless / UPS-CyberPower GX1325U / Fan Controller-Corsair Commander Pro

CPU-AMD Ryzen 7 5800X / CPU Cooler-Corsair iCUE H100i ELITE CAPELLIX / Motherboard-Asus TUF GAMING X570-PRO (WI-FI) / MemoryG.Skill Trident Z Neo 32 GB (4 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 / Storage-Western Digital Black SN750 SE 1TB 4.0X4 NVME--Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB 3.0X4 NVME--Seagate Barracuda Compute 3 TB 3.5" 5400 RPM / Video Card-Asus KO Gaming OC GeForce RTX 3070 / Case-Lian Li O11 Air Mini / Case-LIAN LI PCI-E 16 X 4.0 Black Riser / PSU-EVGA SuperNOVA 850 G+ Gold / Monitor-LG 22BK430H-B 21.5" 1920 x 1080 60 Hz / Monitor-MSI Optix 271CQP 27.0" 2560 x 1440 165 Hz Curved / Keyboard-Logitech G413 TKL SE / Mouse-Logitech G502 HERO Wired / UPS-CyberPower CP1350PFCLCD / Fan Controller-Corsair  Commander Pro / Sony HT-S200F Soundbar

CPU-AMD Ryzen 7 5700X / CPU Cooler-Scythe Mugen 5 Black Edition / Motherboard-MSI MPG B550I GAMING EDGE MAX WIFI / Memory-G.Skill Trident Z Neo 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 / Storage-Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB 3.0X4 NVME--PNY CS900 1TB 2.5" SSD--Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB NVME/ Video Card-EVGA XC GAMING GeForce RTX 3060 / Case-Cooler NR200P / PSU-Cooler Master V750 SFX GOLD / Keyboard-HyperX Alloy Origins Core / Mouse-Logitech G502 HERO Wired / UPS-CyberPower LE1000DG-FC / Fan Controller-NZXT RGB & Fan Controller

CPU-AMD Ryzen 7 5700G / CPU Cooler-Scythe Shuriken 2 / Motherboard-Gigabyte X570 I AORUS PRO WIFI / Memory-Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3800 CL18 / Storage-WD Blue 1TB 2.5" SSD--Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB 3.0X4 NVME--Patriot P310 1.92TB 3.0X4 NVME / Case-InWin B1 Mesh / Keyboard-Logitech K380 / Mouse-Logitech G502 LIGHTSPEED Wireless / Monitor-ViewSonic VX1755 17" 1080p Portable IPS Gaming Monitor 144Hz / Speakers-Creative Muvo Go (Black)

Just now, asiancorruption said:

how  do the romer g swtiches feel?

This is my first mech keyboard so I don't have much to compare it to.

Thankfully it's not clicky.

CPU-AMD Ryzen 9 5900X / CPU Cooler-Noctua NH-D15S / Motherboard-MSI MPG X570S CARBON MAX WIFI / Memory-G.Skill Trident Z Neo 64 GB (4 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 / Storage-WD WDBSLA0040HNC-NRSN 4TB 3.5" 7200 RPM / Storage-WD Red 6 TB 3.5" 5400 RPM--Crucial P3 4TB 3.0X4 NVME--Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB 4.0X4 NVME--Corsair MP600 CORE 2TB 4.0X4 NVME / Video Card-XFX Radeon RX 6900 XT / Case-Lian Li O11 Air Mini / PSU-SeaSonic PRIME 1000 W 80+ Gold / Sound Card-Creative Labs Sound Blaster Z w/Shield / Monitor-BenQ GW2765HT 27.0" 2560 x 1440 60 Hz / Monitor-Asus ROG Strix XG27AQ 27.0" 2560 x 1440 170 Hz / Keyboard-Logitech G Pro / Mouse-Logitech G502 LIGHTSPEED Wireless / UPS-CyberPower GX1325U / Fan Controller-Corsair Commander Pro

CPU-AMD Ryzen 7 5800X / CPU Cooler-Corsair iCUE H100i ELITE CAPELLIX / Motherboard-Asus TUF GAMING X570-PRO (WI-FI) / MemoryG.Skill Trident Z Neo 32 GB (4 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 / Storage-Western Digital Black SN750 SE 1TB 4.0X4 NVME--Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB 3.0X4 NVME--Seagate Barracuda Compute 3 TB 3.5" 5400 RPM / Video Card-Asus KO Gaming OC GeForce RTX 3070 / Case-Lian Li O11 Air Mini / Case-LIAN LI PCI-E 16 X 4.0 Black Riser / PSU-EVGA SuperNOVA 850 G+ Gold / Monitor-LG 22BK430H-B 21.5" 1920 x 1080 60 Hz / Monitor-MSI Optix 271CQP 27.0" 2560 x 1440 165 Hz Curved / Keyboard-Logitech G413 TKL SE / Mouse-Logitech G502 HERO Wired / UPS-CyberPower CP1350PFCLCD / Fan Controller-Corsair  Commander Pro / Sony HT-S200F Soundbar

CPU-AMD Ryzen 7 5700X / CPU Cooler-Scythe Mugen 5 Black Edition / Motherboard-MSI MPG B550I GAMING EDGE MAX WIFI / Memory-G.Skill Trident Z Neo 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 / Storage-Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB 3.0X4 NVME--PNY CS900 1TB 2.5" SSD--Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB NVME/ Video Card-EVGA XC GAMING GeForce RTX 3060 / Case-Cooler NR200P / PSU-Cooler Master V750 SFX GOLD / Keyboard-HyperX Alloy Origins Core / Mouse-Logitech G502 HERO Wired / UPS-CyberPower LE1000DG-FC / Fan Controller-NZXT RGB & Fan Controller

CPU-AMD Ryzen 7 5700G / CPU Cooler-Scythe Shuriken 2 / Motherboard-Gigabyte X570 I AORUS PRO WIFI / Memory-Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3800 CL18 / Storage-WD Blue 1TB 2.5" SSD--Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB 3.0X4 NVME--Patriot P310 1.92TB 3.0X4 NVME / Case-InWin B1 Mesh / Keyboard-Logitech K380 / Mouse-Logitech G502 LIGHTSPEED Wireless / Monitor-ViewSonic VX1755 17" 1080p Portable IPS Gaming Monitor 144Hz / Speakers-Creative Muvo Go (Black)

Also, Mechanical-feeling keys, whats that all about? is it a marketing scheme for membrane keyboards?

12 minutes ago, asiancorruption said:

how  do the romer g switches feel? i haven't heard too much about them.

They are faster than Red switch meaning they have shorter actuation point.

They are not clicky but tactile.

14 minutes ago, asiancorruption said:

yeah screw that, i have bad luck with getting defective products, don't need to deal with that. would kailh switches be better?

Razer keyboard use kaihl switches and a lot of people are complained about the quality.

If u are really on a tight budget just buy a $25 knock off like outemu and use it for a while till u can afford a cherry board.

Or buy this real $60 cherry board (has no backlight)

https://www.amazon.com/CHERRY-MX-Board-3-0-Mechanical-Keyboard/dp/B01I6DJT7C#Ask

$70 E

-sport Red backlight keyboard with brow switches

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01DKZGTOW/ref=sspa_dk_detail_3?psc=1&pd_rd_i=B01DKZGTOW&pd_rd_wg=C6DRT&pd_rd_r=A1E7FR4PDZ35ZZ9R5GFH&pd_rd_w=pHrbH

6 minutes ago, asiancorruption said:

Also, Mechanical-feeling keys, whats that all about? is it a marketing scheme for membrane keyboards?

Its a membrane that mimic mechanical switches in feelings similar to cooler master devastator keyboard.

Or razer ornatta.

They wont feels as good as mechanical but it feels pretty good but because of the implementation of the rubber dome it wont last long as real mech keyboard.

[LOGITECH G402 REVIEW]

Honestly if you're spending $100 I'd recommend getting a G.Skill KM780. Great keyboard, Cherry switches.

18 minutes ago, wONKEyeYEs said:

Haha yeah I got mine for $49 from Amazon. Not a huge fan though, I find they're a little cheap feeling.

13 minutes ago, wONKEyeYEs said:

This is my first mech keyboard so I don't have much to compare it to.

Thankfully it's not clicky.

They're pretty clicky compared to other keyboards.

4 minutes ago, Hiya! said:

They're in Canada, not the US ;)

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

So now i'm looking at how low i can go for getting a decent mech keyboard on amazon and i found this: https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B071D8XWH7/ref=s9u_simh_gw_i2?ie=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B071D8XWH7&pd_rd_r=5e8cd71c-da1b-11e7-b826-eb3b2a9a9ae1&pd_rd_w=U1rlc&pd_rd_wg=set4Z&pf_rd_m=A3DWYIK6Y9EEQB&pf_rd_s=&pf_rd_r=5BBZ8GQYDYVA6RHQ8W0V&pf_rd_t=36701&pf_rd_p=07871b8e-d32a-4963-b98f-ba712077f7f5&pf_rd_i=desktop

will i regret not having backlighting on a keyboard? and are Outemu  switches really that inconsistant? im looking on reddit and everyone seems to have a different answer.

13 minutes ago, dizmo said:

Honestly if you're spending $100 I'd recommend getting a G.Skill KM780. Great keyboard, Cherry switches.

Haha yeah I got mine for $49 from Amazon. Not a huge fan though, I find they're a little cheap feeling.

They're pretty clicky compared to other keyboards.

They're in Canada, not the US ;)

Sorry not paying attention

9 minutes ago, asiancorruption said:

So now i'm looking at how low i can go for getting a decent mech keyboard on amazon and i found this: https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B071D8XWH7/ref=s9u_simh_gw_i2?ie=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B071D8XWH7&pd_rd_r=5e8cd71c-da1b-11e7-b826-eb3b2a9a9ae1&pd_rd_w=U1rlc&pd_rd_wg=set4Z&pf_rd_m=A3DWYIK6Y9EEQB&pf_rd_s=&pf_rd_r=5BBZ8GQYDYVA6RHQ8W0V&pf_rd_t=36701&pf_rd_p=07871b8e-d32a-4963-b98f-ba712077f7f5&pf_rd_i=desktop

will i regret not having backlighting on a keyboard? and are Outemu  switches really that inconsistant? im looking on reddit and everyone seems to have a different answer.

Checked amazon.ca i cant find a single gateron keyboard that is not triple the price compared to amazon us.

So yes just buy outemu switches and find one with backlightning u are going to need it trust me unless u have a night vision googles.

[LOGITECH G402 REVIEW]

For ~100 CAD, I'd go with the G.Skill KM780 or KM780R if you want Cherry Switches, or the Logitech G413 if you want Romer-G switches. I'd test both switch types in a store first.