Holy crap MSI , that first ryzen bios is mediocre.

Alright , so I built a few systems in the last few weeks all ryzen 7s and omg msi was a shit show. I built 2 asus, 1 asrock , 1 gigabyte and 1 msi. all the brands except MSI booted on the first attempt. MSI made me try 3 different brands of ram reseat the CPU like 11 times , RMA one board, buy a different one , same issues , and at some point it decided, you know what, i'll post this once so you can flash me. Sorry , I just wanted to rant , this was a horrible experience for me. the worst part is I had full confidence in MSI since I owned an X99 sli plus an X79 SLI plus and a Z270 SLI plus. never will I buy MSI for AMD cpu's.

It's been known pretty much since Ryzen launched that the MSI boards are mostly junk for am4 :P 

PC - CPU Ryzen 5 1600 - GPU Power Color Radeon 5700XT- Motherboard Gigabyte GA-AB350 Gaming - RAM 16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB - Storage 525GB Crucial MX300 SSD + 120GB Kingston SSD   PSU Corsair CX750M - Cooling Stock - Case White NZXT S340

Peripherals - Mouse Logitech G502 Wireless - Keyboard Logitech G915 TKL  Headset Razer Kraken Pro V2's - Displays 2x Acer 24" GF246(1080p, 75hz, Freesync) Steering Wheel & Pedals Logitech G29 & Shifter

Just now, RKRiley said:

It's been known pretty much since Ryzen launched that the MSI boards are mostly junk for am4 :P 

I had too though, the customer absolutely wanted the arctic all white mobo -__- I was almost tempted to linus it up and spray paint an asus board haha.

4 minutes ago, xtasemusic said:

I had too though, the customer absolutely wanted the arctic all white mobo -__- I was almost tempted to linus it up and spray paint an asus board haha.

Wanting a specific look can be a b***h lol, I wanted a white theme myself and that was the only board(think it may even still be the only white board) available, but then i saw the reviews and figured i could live without a white board :P 

PC - CPU Ryzen 5 1600 - GPU Power Color Radeon 5700XT- Motherboard Gigabyte GA-AB350 Gaming - RAM 16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB - Storage 525GB Crucial MX300 SSD + 120GB Kingston SSD   PSU Corsair CX750M - Cooling Stock - Case White NZXT S340

Peripherals - Mouse Logitech G502 Wireless - Keyboard Logitech G915 TKL  Headset Razer Kraken Pro V2's - Displays 2x Acer 24" GF246(1080p, 75hz, Freesync) Steering Wheel & Pedals Logitech G29 & Shifter

If you are using an arc case the x370 prime pro is white and best in class

Want to custom loop?  Ask me more if you are curious

25 minutes ago, xtasemusic said:

Alright , so I built a few systems in the last few weeks all ryzen 7s and omg msi was a shit show. I built 2 asus, 1 asrock , 1 gigabyte and 1 msi. all the brands except MSI booted on the first attempt. MSI made me try 3 different brands of ram reseat the CPU like 11 times , RMA one board, buy a different one , same issues , and at some point it decided, you know what, i'll post this once so you can flash me. Sorry , I just wanted to rant , this was a horrible experience for me. the worst part is I had full confidence in MSI since I owned an X99 sli plus an X79 SLI plus and a Z270 SLI plus. never will I buy MSI for AMD cpu's.

Weird because I recently built a Ryzen 5 1600 on a MSI B350 Gaming pro carbon and it went flawlessly no issues at all where as my friend who built a ryzen 5 1600 system on the Asus Strix b350f was getting blue screens and it took him over two days to get the system stable / windows installed.  To each there own I guess? haha

My uncle build a 6700k system a while ago, and he got a DOA msi motherboard 2 times in a row. The third one worked though.

Computer engineering grad student, cybersecurity researcher, and hobbyist embedded systems developer

Daily Driver:

CPU: Ryzen 7 4800H | GPU: RTX 2060 | RAM: 16GB DDR4 3200MHz C16

Gaming PC:

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600X | GPU: EVGA RTX 2080Ti | RAM: 32GB DDR4 3200MHz C16

5 minutes ago, vinyldash303 said:

Oooof that aint good. I just got two of their B350 boards in today. Reeeeeeaaaaaaally hoping they work for what I need them for. The two Asrock boards we got first got fucked in the warehouse before they left Newegg but they sent them out anyway. So I got on the horn with them, they were gonna just ship two more out, but they were out of stock, so we exchanged them for these MSI boards, and it sounds like I might be SOL this weekend when I put the systems together if MSI is having issues with Ryzen. :/

just make sure you have 100% compatible ram for the first boot, and that you only put one stick of ram in IN THE RIGHT SPOT ( usualy DIMMA 2 ). wait a long time at first boot ( 5 mins ) and just for the heck of it , seat lock, unlock and reseat the cpu 2-3 times. those would be my best reccomendations.

Ryzen in general has been a nightmare for board stability. 

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

10 minutes ago, BlueChinchillaEatingDorito said:

Ryzen in general has been a nightmare for board stability. 

I just swapped 2 6700k and one 5930k for 3 ryzen 7 1700x. ( more productivity at work centric ) I didnt expect it to be that finnicky 9 months after launch

Just now, vinyldash303 said:

I looked at the spreadsheet of compatible ram and bought the 8gb G skill kit that was on it, IIRC its 2133 mhz 

My prayers are with you. haha ! lets hope you dont run into the same issues I did.