Is a single 280mm radiator enough?

Go to solution Solved by desertcomputer,
1 minute ago, ReyazJunior said:

Then which EK radiator should I get?

It will work but you might have crack the fan up a bit. A rough guidelines is 140mm for each component. I would suggest for your case is 280 and 120 at the back.

I am making a gaming pc, and saw the Phanteks Evolv Shift X. Will the single 280mm radiator it supports be enough to cool an OC i7-8700K and GTX 1080 Ti? 

That might be stretching it a bit. I would try to get a dense rad with high-performance fans.

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

With the CPU only, yes. With the graphics card, it's too much.

CPU: i7-2600K 4751MHz 1.44V (software) --> 1.47V at the back of the socket Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 (BCLK: 103.3MHz) CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 RAM: Adata XPG 2x8GB DDR3 (XMP: 2133MHz 10-11-11-30 CR2, custom: 2203MHz 10-11-10-26 CR1 tRFC:230 tREFI:14000) GPU: Asus GTX 1070 Dual (Super Jetstream vbios, +70(2025-2088MHz)/+400(8.8Gbps)) SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB (main boot drive), Transcend SSD370 128GB PSU: Seasonic X-660 80+ Gold Case: Antec P110 Silent, 5 intakes 1 exhaust Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz (150Hz max w/ DP, 121Hz max w/ HDMI) TN panel Keyboard: Logitech G610 Orion (Cherry MX Blue) with SteelSeries Apex M260 keycaps Mouse: BenQ Zowie FK1

Model: HP Omen 17 17-an110ca CPU: i7-8750H (0.125V core & cache, 50mV SA undervolt) GPU: GTX 1060 6GB Mobile (+80/+450, 1650MHz~1750MHz 0.78V~0.85V) RAM: 8+8GB DDR4-2400 18-17-17-39 2T Storage: HP EX920 1TB PCIe x4 M.2 SSD + Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA SSD, 128GB Toshiba PCIe x2 M.2 SSD (KBG30ZMV128G) gone cooking externally, 1TB Seagate 7200RPM 2.5" HDD (ST1000LM049-2GH172) left outside Monitor: 1080p 126Hz IPS G-sync

Desktop benching:

Cinebench R15 Single thread:168 Multi-thread: 833 

SuperPi (v1.5 from Techpowerup, PI value output) 16K: 0.100s 1M: 8.255s 32M: 7m 45.93s

2 minutes ago, samcool55 said:

That might be stretching it a bit. I would try to get a dense rad with high-performance fans.

8 minutes ago, ReyazJunior said:

I am making a gaming pc, and saw the Phanteks Evolv Shift X. Will the single 280mm radiator it supports be enough to cool an OC i7-8700K and GTX 1080 Ti? 

you can put an 280 and an 120 in it then you would be safe

ask me about your system builds, AIO's, CPU's, PSU's, and GPU's.

It will work but you might have crack the fan up a bit. A rough guidelines is 140mm for each component. I would suggest for your case is 280 and 120 at the back.

Magical Pineapples

4 minutes ago, ReyazJunior said:

I would get the SE 280, it has a higher fpi (fins per inch) so in theory it should perform better, but it will require higher-performance fans and will result in more noise as well.

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

19 hours ago, Name Taken said:

A single 120mm is enough if you use a delta fan.

What's a delta fan?

19 hours ago, samcool55 said:

I would get the SE 280, it has a higher fpi (fins per inch) so in theory it should perform better, but it will require higher-performance fans and will result in more noise as well.

Noise is not much of an issue, even though I'll be using open back headphones. Which high rpm fans should I get? If RGB ones are there, please tell me.

Noise is not much of an issue, even though I'll be using open back headphones. Which high rpm fans should I get? If RGB ones are there, please tell me.

Fans these days are basically as good as they are going to get. Just get any RGB fan you like but make sure it's from a decent brand and has a decent max rpm.

2 minutes ago, ReyazJunior said:

Corsair's RGB fans are pretty good for radiators. 

also, you might experience high temps with just the 280mm, even with high Fin density.

i have a relatively open 240mm rad, and my CPU+GPU loop gets to high 80's in stresstest scenarios.

Just now, samcool55 said:

Fans these days are basically as good as they are going to get. Just get any RGB fan you like but make sure it's from a decent brand and has a decent max rpm.

Thinking of Aura compatible ones from InWin. Perhaps being Aura compatible, I'll be able to use those connectors on the Z370-I.

19 hours ago, RollinLower said:

Corsair's RGB fans are pretty good for radiators. 

also, you might experience high temps with just the 280mm, even with high Fin density.

i have a relatively open 240mm rad, and my CPU+GPU loop gets to high 80's in stresstest scenarios.

You run a Titan card and a Xeon, boy your temps will be high! But I have components not on par with yours- perhaps I will have only 80% of your power.

19 hours ago, ricksteendam1 said:

Perhaps I'll add an extra 280 rad too. I'll get the fans you recommend, but I'll go for clear tubing with red fluid. I'll also add some LED strips from Phanteks. I'll invest in a mono block for the CPU and VRM and I'll get an MSI GTX 1080 To with nickel water block pre-installed.

I have an overclocked 6800k @4ghz and an overclocked GTX980 all watercooled on a 280mm rad and its running well on a Fractal Core 500 SFF case. I'm using Noctura fans that spin up to 900rpm and stay quite quiet.

I think its possible but could get loud if you overclock the 1080ti

41 minutes ago, ReyazJunior said:

You run a Titan card and a Xeon, boy your temps will be high! But I have components not on par with yours- perhaps I will have only 80% of your power.

1080ti is the basically the same as the Titan, and your CPU won’t pull drastically less power if you’re going for a 5GHz OC.

That's an F in the profile pic

18 hours ago, ReyazJunior said:

Thinking of Aura compatible ones from InWin. Perhaps being Aura compatible, I'll be able to use those connectors on the Z370-I.

DON'T GET THE EK SLIM! They are the WORST performing radiator compared to any other besides the XSPC EX Series. Go for HardwareLabs GTS Radiators

Watercooling Pro & Keyboard Enthusiast!