High CPU temperature? Ryzen 7 7800X3D

Go to solution Solved by PDifolco,
8 minutes ago, Zem1akk said:

Hi guys

Yesterday I've built my new Pc. Today I have been testing it for a while and wanted to keep it running all night(to download few games while I sleep).

Before I thought I would go to sleep I turned all my fans on silent preset (4 fans around 500RPMs and CPU water Cooler-NZXT Kraken 280(Pump was 1800rpm and fans 550+-)) Then I checked temperatures and noticed that my CPU was on 50-65C; GPU on 45-50C; and Liquid around 30-35C. Aren't these temperatures too high for just idling and downloading steam game in the background? 

AM5 chips tends to idle around 45C, and jump +10 to +20C on any load, with 3D chips getting up to 20C hotter, so your temps seem ok with a pump at half speed and slow spinning fans...

Hi guys

Yesterday I've built my new Pc. Today I have been testing it for a while and wanted to keep it running all night(to download few games while I sleep).

Before I thought I would go to sleep I turned all my fans on silent preset (4 fans around 500RPMs and CPU water Cooler-NZXT Kraken 280(Pump was 1800rpm and fans 550+-)) Then I checked temperatures and noticed that my CPU was on 50-65C; GPU on 45-50C; and Liquid around 30-35C. Aren't these temperatures too high for just idling and downloading steam game in the background? 

We literally know nothing else besides what you told us. No mention of case, no mention of ambient temperature. 

It might be a bit warm? X3D is pretty easy to cool. But CPU is a bit busy, ambient is doing its thing, quiet systems are usually the warmest.

AMD R7 5800X3D | Thermalright Frozen Edge 360, 5x TL-B12 V2
Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero | 4x8GB G.Skill Trident Z @ 3733C14
Zotac 4070 Ti Trinity OC @ 3045/1496 | WD SN850, SN850X, SN770
Seasonic Vertex GX-1000 | Fractal Torrent Compact, TL-B14, TY-143

2 minutes ago, freeagent said:

We literally know nothing else besides what you told us. No mention of case, no mention of ambient temperature. 

It might be a bit warm? X3D is pretty easy to cool. But CPU is a bit busy, ambient is doing its thing, quiet systems are usually the warmest.

The case is the NZXT H9 Flow; the 4 fans I was talking about are prebuilt in the case(some NXZT fans). My room temperature is around 25C and wasn't more then 30C today. 

8 minutes ago, Zem1akk said:

Hi guys

AM5 chips tends to idle around 45C, and jump +10 to +20C on any load, with 3D chips getting up to 20C hotter, so your temps seem ok with a pump at half speed and slow spinning fans...

System : AMD R9  7950X3D CPU/ Asus ROG STRIX X670E-E board/ 2x32GB G-Skill Trident Z Neo 6000CL30 RAM ASUS TUF Gaming AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX OC Edition GPU/ Phanteks P600S case /  Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 cooler (with 2xArctic P12 Max fans) /  2TB WD SN850 NVme + 2TB Crucial T500  NVme  + 4TB Toshiba X300 HDD / Corsair RM850x PSU

Alienware AW3420DW 34" 120Hz 3440x1440p monitor / Logitech G915TKL keyboard (wireless) / Logitech G PRO X Superlight mouse / Audeze Maxwell headphones

1 minute ago, PDifolco said:

Thank you so much for the reply, I wasn't really able to find any info on what my temps should be. 

Do you know what Liquid temp I should aim for when idle-ing as well?

1 minute ago, Zem1akk said:

Thank you so much for the reply, I wasn't really able to find any info on what my temps should be. 

Do you know what Liquid temp I should aim for when idle-ing as well?

In the 30s is fine with 20-25C ambient

I'd put the pump at a constant faster speed, up to when you find it makes an annoying noise if it happens, never had much issues with pump at 90%+ personally

System : AMD R9  7950X3D CPU/ Asus ROG STRIX X670E-E board/ 2x32GB G-Skill Trident Z Neo 6000CL30 RAM ASUS TUF Gaming AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX OC Edition GPU/ Phanteks P600S case /  Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 cooler (with 2xArctic P12 Max fans) /  2TB WD SN850 NVme + 2TB Crucial T500  NVme  + 4TB Toshiba X300 HDD / Corsair RM850x PSU

Alienware AW3420DW 34" 120Hz 3440x1440p monitor / Logitech G915TKL keyboard (wireless) / Logitech G PRO X Superlight mouse / Audeze Maxwell headphones

2 minutes ago, PDifolco said:

In the 30s is fine with 20-25C ambient

I'd put the pump at a constant faster speed, up to when you find it makes an annoying noise if it happens, never had much issues with pump at 90%+ personally

Okay, thank you so much 😇. Have a nice day!

41 minutes ago, Zem1akk said:

idling and downloading steam game in the background? 

Idling and downloading steam games are two completely different things. Idle usage must be verified by actually looking at usage, not just assuming because you're not actively doing anything, the CPU isn't. Steam downloading can hammer a CPU if your internet speed is fast enough. 

Additionally, you should never have to adjust fan speed from activity to activity, doubly so with a water cooler. A low, static fan speed for the AIO fans should be more than sufficient for 95% of tasks and be dead silent. 

I can't hear my air cooled 7800x3D unless I do something that induces a full multicore load which for me is rare. Video export/encode or a game doing a shader compilation for the first time, for example. Then its just a low hum. 

(I feel like I've posted this exact thing in 3 different threads about the same CPU in the last few hours lol)

Ryzen 7 7800x3D -  Asus RTX4090 TUF OC- Asrock X670E Taichi - 32GB DDR5-6000CL30 - SuperFlower 1000W - Fractal Torrent - Assassin IV - 42" LG C2

Ryzen 7 5800x - XFX RX6600 - Asus STRIX B550i - 32GB DDR4-3200CL14 - Corsair SF750 - Lian Li O11 Mini - EK 360 AIO - Asus PG348Q

1 hour ago, Zem1akk said:

Aren't these temperatures too high for just idling and downloading steam game in the background? 

Steam uses compression, its VERY hard on the CPU, especially if you have fast broadband.

Downloading from Steam heats up my 7800X3D more than any game I've played since owning it, since I have Gigabit fibre.  Its extremely common for the CPU to actually be the bottleneck for download speeds rather than your broadband.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7