Constant BSOD after messing with MSConfig

Zkay
Go to solution Solved by dragoon20005,

source.gif

you need to use the Windows 8.1 disk and see if you can do a Windows Recovery

if that fails your OS is f**k up

you will need to reinstall the OS

So basically, I tried to disable useless services on my pc and I guess I disabled something important.

I get a BSOD with the error BAD SYSTEM CONFIG INFO every time I start it up.

I tried almost every windows recovery tool but nothing seems to work, and it won't boot on safe mode either.

I have ran out of ideas. Is there any way I could run msconfig from the cmd? I tried but it says that I basically have no permission to do so, so I guess it is possible in some way.

I'm running Windows 8.1

Thanks to anyone helping or giving me any ideas of how to fix this, and I know I messed up!!

source.gif

you need to use the Windows 8.1 disk and see if you can do a Windows Recovery

if that fails your OS is f**k up

Budget? Uses? Currency? Location? Operating System? Peripherals? Monitor? Use PCPartPicker wherever possible. 

Quote whom you're replying to, and set option to follow your topics. Or Else we can't see your reply.

6 minutes ago, Zkay said:

<snip>

Never mess with the Registry unless you know what your doing .......

Best advice I have for you is what @dragoon20005 said.

Do a recovery if that doesn't work - complete re-install.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

5 minutes ago, dragoon20005 said:

Hold down cmd+R! 

Oh wait, this isn't a Mac! Abort! xD 

8 minutes ago, Zkay said:

I tried to disable useless services on my pc

Yeah see don't go around turning off stuff. Its like people to manage to delete system protected files and don't get while something broke after. 

But yeah, you are going to need a repair disk of a reset does not fix it.

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

2 minutes ago, SansVarnic said:

Never mess with the Registry unless you know what your doing .......

Best advice I have for you is what @dragoon20005 said.

Do a recovery if that doesn't work - complete re-install.

MSCONFIG isn't registry though.

This is what MSCONFIG is:

Image result for msconfig

He probably just disabled some system services.

Solution is to clean install windows.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Just now, Enderman said:

Image result for msconfig

MSConfig is still important turning off core services has the same effect as fucking with the registry. He should have looked up what each service did before disabling. I did the same thing and windows boot sped up a bit, and everythings fine.

My Rig

CPU - Ryzen 5 1600@3.8ghz          GPU - XFX XXX RX580 8g          Cooler - Arctic Freezer 33 eSports edition green          Motherboard - Gigabyte AB350 Gaming 3          Ram -  G.Skill 2x8 Ripjaws 5 2666                   Case - Pahntecs P400s TGE Modded with Green accents          PSU - Seasonic M1211 evo 620w          SSD - Samsung 960 evo 500 GB          HDD - Seagate Barracuda 7200rpm 2tb       

Fans - 2 be quiet SilentWings 3         OS - Windows 10 Home 64-Bit         Cables - Cable Mod Green Cable Extension

Peripherals

Mouse - Logitech G502          Keyboard - k95 Platinum Brown          Headset - Philips SHP9500s + Vmoda Boom Pro          Monitor - LG 29UM69GB

Webcam - USB webcam for Wii Fitness game xD

26 minutes ago, Enderman said:

<snip>

He probably just disabled some system services.

Lol I read MSConfig but thunk REGEDIT...... :self_facepalm:

*edit

Just for saying I do happen to know the difference.... wow, super epic brain fart. :S

Edited by SansVarnic

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

So no way of running msconfig from the recovery screen right? :(

I have a copy of Windows 8 on a USB but couldn't do much with it.

Anyone could tell me what the recovery from Windows image (or I don't really remember how it's called) does?

Thanks everybody. ;-;