Anybody else thinking VEGA is just a waste of time?

Subtle Corruption

Let's be real here, the power consumptions is just abusive in this day and age, AMD took the piss out of NVidia and their Fermi stuff which was well deserved, yet they themselves shovel this ridiculously power hungry card that in all honesty should not exist, all to answer the question "Where is AMD's top end to face GTX 1000 series?"

Why would anyone with at least two working brain cells buy VEGA? It's already crippling hard to live with a GPU that outputs 300+ watts of heat in summer.. i know i owned Fermi, two in SLi in fact.

I can only understand this purchase if you find deals on VEGA like i did for Fermi and Fiji.

Guarna: R5 1600, Asrock Taichi, AMD Fury Nitro (Heating space since '15), 16 GB Samsung DDR4 2666 (3000mhz OC) Green PCB ugly stuff.

There's this underground movement of using them on Linux and I've heard that in some cases vega 64 can actually stomp 1080 Ti, but it's pretty niche and super DIY for the moment

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

5 minutes ago, iamdarkyoshi said:

I've been considering swapping my 1080Ti ftw3 for vega solely due to drivers. This is my first nvidia card and I regret it...

Each to their own... you see and hear this all the time...

Ive been with Nvidia for about 4 years now, beyond a single driver screwing me (fixed in 5mins) it has never given me an issue, shadowplay works everyday, no bsod from a driver change or any performance negatives...

I was getting severe flickering on multiple AMD cards in multiple systems, their drivers were broken for a time...

I went from the R9 290 to GTX970 and haven't looked back once.

Many examples of the opposite are also out there...

PC's are just weird, usually a software conflict of some sort.

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

26 minutes ago, VenomZ_ said:

no vega is okay. keep in mind not everybody is a gamer

If you don't game,... why get Vega?

Compute..? (Surely there is better price to perf options)

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

I wouldnt say Vega is a waste of time

nVidia will not release any new GPU like the GTX 1070Ti if AMD didnt release the Vega 56 which was the GTX 1070 killer

early drivers will not be perfect and you can see that the AMD GPU drivers improve as the months goes by and like the RX580 vs the GTX 1060 6GB and you see the performance now overtakes the GTX 1060 and in case widen the gap

so for the case of the Vega 56 vs the GTX 1070 and the Vega 64 vs the GTX 1080

you will see the performance gap close in as the driver matures

Budget? Uses? Currency? Location? Operating System? Peripherals? Monitor? Use PCPartPicker wherever possible. 

Quote whom you're replying to, and set option to follow your topics. Or Else we can't see your reply.

also wait for the XFX or Sapphire or Powercolor version of the Vega cards for better power delivery and cooling than the reference version

Skip the Asus Strix as it suck balls and worse than the reference

Budget? Uses? Currency? Location? Operating System? Peripherals? Monitor? Use PCPartPicker wherever possible. 

Quote whom you're replying to, and set option to follow your topics. Or Else we can't see your reply.

1 hour ago, iamdarkyoshi said:

I've been considering swapping my 1080Ti ftw3 for vega solely due to drivers. This is my first nvidia card and I regret it...

I'd be using amd cards for a long time if not for the drivers, it's weird how it's different for everyone.

5950x 1.33v 5.05 4.5 88C 195w ll R20 12k ll drp4 ll x570 dark hero ll gskill 4x8gb 3666 14-14-14-32-320-24-2T (zen trfc)  1.45v 45C 1.15v soc ll 6950xt gaming x trio 325w 60C ll samsung 970 500gb nvme os ll sandisk 4tb ssd ll 6x nf12/14 ippc fans ll tt gt10 case ll evga g2 1300w ll w10 pro ll 34GN850B ll AW3423DW

9900k 1.36v 5.1avx 4.9ring 85C 195w (daily) 1.02v 4.3ghz 80w 50C R20 temps score=5500 ll D15 ll Z390 taichi ult 1.60 bios ll gskill 4x8gb 14-14-14-30-280-20 ddr3666bdie 1.45v 45C 1.22sa/1.18 io  ll EVGA 30 non90 tie ftw3 1920//10000 0.85v 300w 71C ll  6x nf14 ippc 2000rpm ll 500gb nvme 970 evo ll l sandisk 4tb sata ssd +4tb exssd backup ll 2x 500gb samsung 970 evo raid 0 llCorsair graphite 780T ll EVGA P2 1200w ll w10p ll NEC PA241w ll pa32ucg-k

prebuilt 5800 stock ll 2x8gb ddr4 cl17 3466 ll oem 3080 0.85v 1890//10000 290w 74C ll 27gl850b ll pa272w ll w11

21 minutes ago, dragoon20005 said:

nVidia will not release any new GPU like the GTX 1070Ti if AMD didnt release the Vega 56 which was the GTX 1070 killer

Well, no, it really wasn't.

I enjoy buying junk and sinking more money than it's worth into it to make it less junk.

1 minute ago, aisle9 said:

Well, no, it really wasn't.

based the not crazy prices

Vega 56 and GTX 1070 are evenly matched

Well, it's an option for AMD fanboys...

I've also thought about it a little bit (RX Vega 64) for if I do buy a GPU for my upcoming build and there is nothing around the corner since I'll be getting a FreeSync monitor. I'd imagine some others might consider for the same reason, they happen upon a freesync monitor and naturally want to make use of that feature. If anything, I'd at least like to see more aftermarket variants when the time comes for me to buy.

6 minutes ago, RyanEsau said:

Well, it's an option for AMD fanboys...

I've also thought about it a little bit (RX Vega 64) for if I do buy a GPU for my upcoming build and there is nothing around the corner since I'll be getting a FreeSync monitor. I'd imagine some others might consider for the same reason, they happen upon a freesync monitor and naturally want to make use of that feature. If anything, I'd at least like to see more aftermarket variants when the time comes for me to buy.

Powercolor, Sapphire and XFX are the go to brands for the aftermarket Vegas

Asus version sucks balls when JaysTwoCents and Guru3D reviewed the Strix version

in fact it performs way worse than the reference version

16 minutes ago, dragoon20005 said:

based the not crazy prices

Vega 56 and GTX 1070 are evenly matched

"Evenly matched" at the same price point with enough power consumption to light up the runway at JFK hardly makes the Vega 56 a "1070 killer".

But I digress. Not going to accidentally turn this into an AMD vs NVIDIA thread, no matter how ridiculous some of the claims made in it are.

I enjoy buying junk and sinking more money than it's worth into it to make it less junk.

1 hour ago, SkilledRebuilds said:

If you don't game,... why get Vega?

Compute..? (Surely there is better price to perf options)

Actually vega is a steal when it comes to certain compute tasks.

Want to custom loop?  Ask me more if you are curious

46 minutes ago, dragoon20005 said:

Powercolor, Sapphire and XFX are the go to brands for the aftermarket Vegas

Asus version sucks balls when JaysTwoCents and Guru3D reviewed the Strix version

in fact it performs way worse than the reference version

Well, it never hit consumer market (released) right? So maybe they're working on sorting the issues that occured...

So if it happens to be released by the time I go to look, hopefully it's all golden.

I think it makes sense in certain instances, for example a monitor with FreeSync over GSync. I'd get a Vega card for that.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

I have built a Seti@Home box around a TR and 2x MSI Vega 64 LCs. Have another 2x of them ready to slot in once I get a second power supply.

Each one chews 265-266watts at full utilisation (stock). They can't output 300+ watts heat if they don't draw 300+ watts of power. If you need to exaggerate to prove your point, then it detracts from your point.

I run the 2 GPUs at full load, and the 1950X at 75% load, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week and two pedestal fans are all that is required to remove the heat from the room. This is in Australia, in a room without air con. Maybe you just need to take a spoonful of cement and harden up a bit?

~~Kuroneko~~

- Ryzen Threadripper 1950X 16-Core

- Corsair H115i Pro 280 Liquid Cooler

- Asus X399 ROG Zenith Extreme MB

- 2x Nvidia Titan V

- Corsair 64GB (4x16GB) DDR4 3000MHz

- Samsung 960 Pro Series 1TB M.2 SSD

- Western Digital RED Pro 6TB 64M SATA

- Corsair AX1500i Titianium PSU

- Fractal Design Define R6 Blackout

- 3x Noctua NF-A14 Industrial 140mm 3000RPM Fans

~~Chibineko~~

- Ryzen 7 2700X 8-Core

- Corsair H115i 280 Liquid Cooler

- Asus X470-F ROG Strix  MB

- 2x MSI Vega 64 Wave Liquid Cooled

- G.Skill Sniper X 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 3600MHz

- Samsung 960 Pro Series 512GB M.2 SSD

- Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD

- Corsair AX1200i 80+ Platinum

- Fractal Design Define R5

- 5x Noctua NF-A14 Industrial 140mm 3000RPM Fans

3 hours ago, dragoon20005 said:

also wait for the XFX or Sapphire or Powercolor version of the Vega cards for better power delivery and cooling than the reference version

Skip the Asus Strix as it suck balls and worse than the reference

This.

The cards really just have a bad case of being poorly-tuned out of the box.  Just like the RX 480 did.  I'm interested to see if any of the aftermarket cards are tuned better, and if not at least I'd be able to start with a quiet cooler.

Vega is obscenely efficient if you keep the clockspeeds sane (and adjust voltage accordingly), but when you get to a certain point they become power hungry monsters.  A Vega 64 running at R9 Fury X speeds (which happens to perform pretty similarly to a Fury) uses about as much power as an RX 470.  Performance-wise, they're extremely competitive in a world where the 1080ti doesn't exist (so basically if it didn't get delayed).

Because it didn't perform quite as well as they wanted it to, AMD pushed clockspeeds (and voltage) in order to get better looking benchmarks, just like they did with Polaris, and then we end up with everybody talking about ridiculous power draw.

Saying "They're quite good if you're willing to spend a few minutes screwing around with the card" is absolutely not an excuse for how they perform out of the box, but just dismissing the architecture completely isn't quite fair either.

SFF-ish:  Ryzen 5 1600X, Asrock AB350M Pro4, 16GB Corsair LPX 3200, Sapphire R9 Fury Nitro -75mV, 512gb Plextor Nvme m.2, 512gb Sandisk SATA m.2, Cryorig H7, stuffed into an Inwin 301 with rgb front panel mod.  LG27UD58.

Aging Workhorse:  Phenom II X6 1090T Black (4GHz #Yolo), 16GB Corsair XMS 1333, RX 470 Red Devil 4gb (Sold for $330 to Cryptominers), HD6850 1gb, Hilariously overkill Asus Crosshair V, 240gb Sandisk SSD Plus, 4TB's worth of mechanical drives, and a bunch of water/glycol.  Coming soon:  Bykski CPU block, whatever cheap Polaris 10 GPU I can get once miners start unloading them.

MintyFreshMedia:  Thinkserver TS130 with i3-3220, 4gb ecc ram, 120GB Toshiba/OCZ SSD booting Linux Mint XFCE, 2TB Hitachi Ultrastar.  In Progress:  3D printed drive mounts, 4 2TB ultrastars in RAID 5.

10 minutes ago, Phate.exe said:

This.

The cards really just have a bad case of being poorly-tuned out of the box.  Just like the RX 480 did.  I'm interested to see if any of the aftermarket cards are tuned better, and if not at least I'd be able to start with a quiet cooler.

Vega is obscenely efficient if you keep the clockspeeds sane (and adjust voltage accordingly), but when you get to a certain point they become power hungry monsters.  A Vega 64 running at R9 Fury X speeds (which happens to perform pretty similarly to a Fury) uses about as much power as an RX 470.  Performance-wise, they're extremely competitive in a world where the 1080ti doesn't exist (so basically if it didn't get delayed).

Because it didn't perform quite as well as they wanted it to, AMD pushed clockspeeds (and voltage) in order to get better looking benchmarks, just like they did with Polaris, and then we end up with everybody talking about ridiculous power draw.

Saying "They're quite good if you're willing to spend a few minutes screwing around with the card" is absolutely not an excuse for how they perform out of the box, but just dismissing the architecture completely isn't quite fair either.

for the case of the RX480 reference

it was blown out of proportions because of the power gate issue with the 6 pin and the overdrawing of power from the PCI-E slot killing cheap mobo in the process.  But that is with the power limit crank over 100% with Afterburner.

The aftermarket version were improved as they use the 8 pin PCI-E power plugs.

The first gen Polaris were indeed hotter and runs into some issue with OC

AMD address those issue with the refreshed RX 580

HBM is suppose to reduce power draw, and it actually shows when the GPU is at the stock speed settings

of course when you start cranking voltages for the GPU and memory and power limit to 400 watts

the power draw will skyrocket just for one card alone

The only reason I will get the RX Vega 64 not because i can buy cheaper Freesync monitors

but also I want to make use of 3 or 4 way Crossfire RX Vegas to push 4K and 8K res with VR gaming