Ways to cool my oem pre-built down

Lil Chillbil

Specs in sig, its an asus pre-build oem case and its quite shit. The thing is built solid like a tank but the dumbass engineers (slaps jj with a fish) thought it would be a great idea to put a gt 640 3gb, 350 watt ac/bell psu that prolly costs more to manufacture than its worth and ZERO casefans/airflow. 

here is what I started with

621924_503716426388019_702763632_o.jpg

I was able to game fine on this, but quickly got bored and decided to upgrade it a bit with a new gpu/psu and a new hdd from an external

This is what I ended up with after almost $300 more poured into my baby 

1278796_513575125402149_1916851452_o.jpg

This was pretty early into the upgrade and I got some cable ties etc. to where its not "that" bad I have nothing to work with here in terms of hiding cables. So after using it for about a month I discovered that the thing was now overheating. my 1st thing was to move the cat away from the airvent to see if that quelled the situation

891984_528968447196150_587497011_o.jpg

I took the caseside off while I was playing far cry 3 and watching those temps drop from 85 degrees C! to 49C in less than 2 minutes I was gobsmacked. I called up asus and said some bad words I was so mad at the engineer who designed this.

So now here is the situation, I need to somehow mount a fan into one of the ports in the system, and was wondering if there is anyway to tell if its a 80mm or a 90mm and if its better to have a single intake or a single exhaust. And recomendations on a led fan under $15 

#KilledMyWife 

LTT's Resident Black Star

I should get an award for still being here at this point 

get on your knees and blow on it.

adding some case fans would be a start, you might also consider trying to mod a fan into the side. You could place a rather large one and that should have a prettty big impact, i.e. 180, 200mm fan. Flip your PSU upside down if your case allows it.

There shouldn't be too many clearance issues either sine you have stock HS. Modding a fan into the base of the case will also help greatly.

Error: 410

So now here is the situation, I need to somehow mount a fan into one of the ports in the system, and was wondering if there is anyway to tell if its a 80mm or a 90mm and if its better to have a single intake or a single exhaust. And recomendations on a led fan under $15 

You could try to.... ehhhh.... measure it?

On another note, interesting how they didn't bother to solder half of the RAM slots on the motherboard.

You could try to.... ehhhh.... measure it?

On another note, interesting how they didn't bother to solder half of the RAM slots on the motherboard.

I know but I was able to get 16 gigs onto the thing so could care less about that as the i5 never uses more than 7 gigs. 

#KilledMyWife 

get on your knees and blow on it.

adding some case fans would be a start, you might also consider trying to mod a fan into the side. You could place a rather large one and that should have a prettty big impact, i.e. 180, 200mm fan. Flip your PSU upside down if your case allows it.

There shouldn't be too many clearance issues either sine you have stock HS. Modding a fan into the base of the case will also help greatly.

Don't Have A Dirty Mind! Don't Have A Dirty Mind! Don't Have A Dirty Mind! Don't Have A Dirty Mind!

Put a Hyper 212 Evo with 2 fans and having them both blowing out the back of the case or into the case.

Add fans here and here

can you recomend me 2 fans? they are both 90mm btw I measured it. 

@_Assasin_ This is what my cable management looks like now

1498045_547021538724174_120382136_o.jpg

The damn thing is just a metal box, no way to run any real wires thru there, I schoved a few in the top 5 and a quarter bay and ran the 24 bin behind the drive cage and that is the end of any cable management solutions. And yeah I have been running it with no sidepanel on 

#KilledMyWife 

add fans

-The Bellerophon- Obsidian 550D-i5-3570k@4.5Ghz -Asus Sabertooth Z77-16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 1866Mhz-x2 EVGA GTX 760 Dual FTW 4GB-Creative Sound Blaster XF-i Titanium-OCZ Vertex Plus 120GB-Seagate Barracuda 2TB- https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/60154-the-not-really-a-build-log-build-log/ Twofold http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/121043-twofold-a-dual-itx-system/ How great is EVGA? http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/110662-evga-how-great-are-they/#entry1478299

I had the same case. The back fan is 80 or 92mm just get a Noctua NF-B9 PWM and place it there. You can also place 120 or 140mm fans near the GPU. They will just stand on their own. Also get a few cable ties and improve your cable management. 

Personal Rig

i7 4790K | Asus Z97I-WiFi | CM 280L | Sapphire R9 290X Tri-X | Kingston ValueRAM 2 x 8GB | 128GB Samsung 840 Pro | 2TB Seagate SSHD | Seasonic Platinium 660W | Bitfenix Prodigy

You could totally transplant the whole shebang into a real case, if you were so inclined. I'm sure that is a regular sized M-ATX motherboard. A real case is a pretty good investment, if you ask me.

+1

There's really not much else you can do with OEM sweat boxes. Add as many fans as possible, maybe try an aftermarket CPU cooler to help reduce ambient temps in the case and keep the box itself out of corners and under desks - put it somewhere open and has fresh air breezing through/past it.

But as Frosty said, try transplanting into a new case - just check for the front I/O ports/switches/LED jumpers on the MB to make sure they will fit a standard case... Can't really see ASUS doing that with their boards but I know pretty much all the OEM manufacturers like to make their cases/boards proprietary.

MAXIMUS VII HERO | i7 4770K w/ H100i | 2x8GB 1600MHz | GALAX GTX 970 x2
250GB SSD boot | 250GB x2, 1TB SSD storage | Corsair 400C | Corsair RM550

Add both intake and exhaust fans if you want it to be cooler. I think you might be able to fit 80mm->120mm converter atleast to back slot. Also you could make hole on side panel and stick 200/230mm fan into to it. If GPU clears it ok. Don't forget to add dust filters. And yeah, get ruler and measure length between screw holes.

http://www.amazon.com/Nexus-80mm-92mm-120mm-Converter/dp/B002C7IQ1O/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1386682022&sr=8-1&keywords=fan+converter

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

so now my temps plummeted once I installed a single exhaust fan into the system.

967199_548977875195207_1095171184_o.jpg

with some new purdy lights as well

1465773_548986655194329_761164453_o.jpg

@_Assasin_ what do you think of my improvements to the cable management? 

#KilledMyWife 

KbvFjdv.png

-The Bellerophon- Obsidian 550D-i5-3570k@4.5Ghz -Asus Sabertooth Z77-16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 1866Mhz-x2 EVGA GTX 760 Dual FTW 4GB-Creative Sound Blaster XF-i Titanium-OCZ Vertex Plus 120GB-Seagate Barracuda 2TB- https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/60154-the-not-really-a-build-log-build-log/ Twofold http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/121043-twofold-a-dual-itx-system/ How great is EVGA? http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/110662-evga-how-great-are-they/#entry1478299

KbvFjdv.png

Not as bad as when I decided that I could do networking...

badcable15.jpg

#KilledMyWife 

Due to the stock CPU cooler, your open-design GPU, and your power supply being at the top, install two additional 80mm (or are they 92mm?) fans and set them up as intake (blowing fresh air into the system).

The power supply will act as an exhaust fan.

Also, you could jerry-rig a another 80mm / 120mm / 140mm fan to the side panel if you wanted. Make it an and intake as well.

Note: you may have to enlarge the "screw holes" with a drill bit to match the diameter of regular case fan screws.

I did exactly this for an Acer computer that I have....and a bit more (puttin ALLLLLLL dem mesh areas as possible fan placements)

Uhh...older pics but still....basically it.

h3fa.jpg

aqgt.jpg

God that computer is nowhere from stock other than the motherboard....

• New PSU
  • Radeon HD 4850 (vs stock integrated X1250)
  • Replaced CPU (old was a Athlon 64 X2 4400+, replaced with a Athlon 64 X2 6000+)
  • swapped out the existing 1 or 2GB of 533MHz RAM for 4GB of Corsair XMS2 800MHz RAM
  • 500GB replacement HDD (old 320GB crapped out)
  • Bunch of fans
  • 5.25" bay fan controller
  • Replaced stock aluminum-only heatsink with the included stock aluminum+copper heatpipe heatsink from my Phenom II X6 1090T CPU

Intel Z390 Rig ( *NEW* Primary )

Intel X99 Rig (Officially Decommissioned, Dead CPU returned to Intel)

• i7-8086K @ 5.1 GHz
  • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master
  • Sapphire NITRO+ RX 6800 XT S.E + EKwb Quantum Vector Full Cover Waterblock
  • 32GB G.Skill TridentZ DDR4-3000 CL14 @ DDR-3400 custom CL15 timings
  • SanDisk 480 GB SSD + 1TB Samsung 860 EVO +  500GB Samsung 980 + 1TB WD SN750
  • EVGA SuperNOVA 850W P2 + Red/White CableMod Cables
  • Lian-Li O11 Dynamic EVO XL
  • Ekwb Custom loop + 2x EKwb Quantum Surface P360M Radiators
  • Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum + Corsair K70 (Red LED, anodized black, Cheery MX Browns)

AMD Ryzen Rig

• AMD R7-5800X
  • Gigabyte B550 Aorus Pro AC
  • 32GB (16GB X 2) Crucial Ballistix RGB DDR4-3600
  • Gigabyte Vision RTX 3060 Ti OC
  • EKwb D-RGB 360mm AIO
  • Intel 660p NVMe 1TB + Crucial MX500 1TB + WD Black 1TB HDD
  • EVGA P2 850W + White CableMod cables
  • Lian-Li LanCool II Mesh - White

Intel Z97 Rig (Decomissioned)

• Intel i5-4690K 4.8 GHz
  • ASUS ROG Maximus VII Hero Z97
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7950 EVGA GTX 1070 SC Black Edition ACX 3.0
  • 20 GB (8GB X 2 + 4GB X 1) Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 MHz
  • Corsair A50 air cooler  NZXT X61
  • Crucial MX500 1TB SSD + SanDisk Ultra II 240GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD [non-gimped version]
  • Antec New TruePower 550W EVGA G2 650W + White CableMod cables
  • Cooler Master HAF 912 White NZXT S340 Elite w/ white LED stips

AMD 990FX Rig (Decommissioned)

• FX-8350 @ 4.8 / 4.9 GHz (given up on the 5.0 / 5.1 GHz attempt)
  • ASUS ROG Crosshair V Formula 990FX
  • 12 GB (4 GB X 3) G.Skill RipJawsX DDR3 @ 1866 MHz
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7970 + Sapphire Dual-X HD 7970 in Crossfire  Sapphire NITRO R9-Fury in Crossfire *NONE*
  • Thermaltake Frio w/ Cooler Master JetFlo's in push-pull
  • Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD
  • Corsair TX850 (ver.1)
  • Cooler Master HAF 932

<> Electrical Engineer , B.Eng <>

<> Electronics & Computer Engineering Technologist (Diploma + Advanced Diploma) <>

<> Electronics Engineering Technician for the Canadian Department of National Defence <>